Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

A Tale of Two Credit Cards

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 adoptolder

adoptolder
  • Members
  • 961 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:20 AM

A Tale of Two Credit Cards

I joined Creditboards at the end of January, 2004. At that time my husband and I had just signed on to a one-year settlement agreement on two over-the-limit credit cards, and our scores were horrendous.

I spent a little while reading on the site, and then jumped on in. I decided to work on my own credit files first; my highest score was a 536. I disputed off all my old addresses, and fixed my name variations. Then I decided to tackle the stinkiest thing on my own report first - those two horrendous credit card tradelines. They fell without a fight - one letter to the CRAs, and they were deleted from my report. I was an AU, not a joint account holder, and that made all the difference. A difference I wouldn't have known, if it weren't for Creditboards.

Over the months, I had CAs delete. I had one that had been calling me daily for almost 2 years - it had gotten so bad that we stopped answering the phone - and through a link to the BBB (shared with me on Creditboards), I got them to stop harrassing us, and they deleted their tradeline completely. My kids are allowed to pick up the phone when it rings now!

I applied for and received my first personal credit card in May 2004. I've guarded those accounts and paid on time, and my scores are now in the mid 600s.

When I turned my attention to my husband, his highest score was 486. The little things were easy to clean up, but those two stinky credit cards kept haunting him. We finished off the settlement payment plan in December - an entire year of paying Chase Bank almost $500 a month. It had all but broken our budget, but it was done. My husband's score got up to 592, so we applied for a home loan, and were approved.

However, to our dismay - Chase Bank never cleaned up the two credit card tradelines as promised. They changed monthly, but were never correct. A few weeks ago, they changed them to currently late, with 30 day late payments for every month of the 2004 year. My husband's score lost 30 points, and we no longer qualified for a our mortgage. I was a wreck inside, but I stayed calm and followed the advice I had been taught - document everything, and if someone can't help you, find someone who can.

After 3 weeks of phone calls - calls that left me crying outwardly and dying inside - Chase Bank finally fixed things. BETTER than I had asked for. I wanted deletion, but instead my husband received something better - squeaky clean 8 year tradelines with NO lates and no derog comments. His lowest score is now 697!

We are supposed to close on our home on May 2.

We owe it all to this website. Thank you.

#2 Kona

Kona
  • Members
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:28 AM

Super job! Proof that motivation and persistance pays off!

#3 Gingerly

Gingerly
  • Members
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:29 AM

WOW!!! That's awesome - congrats! :dance: :dance: :P

#4 denverisverycute

denverisverycute
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:33 AM

I'm so happy for you. Though I just joined CB last month with scores in the mid 500's, I'm much more hopeful than I was before I found CB. I thought my negatives were there to stay for the next seven years. I now know that I CAN take control of this situation and move forward. Sure, it's a little overwhelming at first AND it's a LOT of work, but it's well worth it. Congratulations on your house! :dance:

#5 blackberry74

blackberry74
  • Members
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:37 AM

Congrats to you!!! As somebody who's just joined w/horrible credit scores (mid 500s for myself & husband at last check), this is so encouraging! I hope to have a similar success story in the next year or so. :dance:

#6 Taegus

Taegus
  • Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:50 AM

Congrats, and I nominated this for the success stories thread! Definately inspirational! :)

#7 breeze

breeze

Site Owners & FC XXXVIII <3

• Admin
  • 47,265 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:20 PM

Oh wow!! What a story!!! I'm so glad to hear that Chase did right by you. One of the horrible things about our system is that instead of rewarding people who pay off old debt, they continue to punish forever. It's time that practice changed!!! Can't wait to hear about your closing and see your new house.

BTW, these posts are our paychecks, guys. This is why we do it. :D

#8 adoptolder

adoptolder
  • Members
  • 961 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:23 PM

Hah - let me tell you, I never thought Chase would help me out. But they were so clearly wrong near the end. I was on the phone EVERY SINGLE DAY for the last two weeks. I hassled anyone and everyone I could. I was surprised to see they gave my husband two perfect TLs though - I still can't believe it! They actually LOST his MasterCard account - it was completely deleted from their computer systems, like the account never existed. I sure wish that had happened before we finished paying on it! LOL Seriously though, no one over there knows what the person in the next cubicle is doing. Seriously - their computers are a mess, and no one can read the screens the same. I was told so much crap, I was knee-deep in it.

I threatened Chase with a lawsuit once my husband's score dropped 30 points and we were in danger of losing our mortgage. I had tried too hard this past year to fix our scores to have Chase ruin everything. And from what I understand, if I could prove that we lost our mortgage due to their continued incorrect reporting, we could have had them pay for our house. I would have done it too - I was THAT mad. :blush2:

Now I'm a little disappointed that I deleted the tradelines from my own reports - I could use the points! :blush2: Oh well.

This past year has taken a lot out of me - I've had a bunch of sleepless nights and anxiety-filled days. It wasn't easy, but I made sure to write the letters and take the time to go through the process. But it has been SO worth it!!!

#9 direred

direred
  • Bloggers
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:31 PM

Wow, amazing!

#10 Tequilarose

Tequilarose
  • Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:59 PM

Just curious, and maybe I haven't done enough digging.....

Where do you get the 3 scores as shown at the end of your message? I've seen this with a few users, and this looks like something I need!!!! Thanks for the help!

#11 rigirl

rigirl
  • Members
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:44 PM

I am so happy for you two and the fact that you are getting a house!! Great work and you should feel good about your success!! Congrats again :)

Edited by rigirl, 01 April 2005 - 09:44 PM.

#12 recruiting

recruiting
  • Members
  • 933 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 10:54 PM

WOOT!!
WOOT!!!
WOOT!!!!

NOW THATS WHAT IM TALKIN'BOUT!!!!! CONGRATZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ;)

#13 BrwnEyedGirl

BrwnEyedGirl

The One it's All About!

• Members
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 12:11 AM

Congrats.

Your story gives me hope.

#14 ncacc1

ncacc1
  • Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:05 PM

That is an amazing story! Truly inspirational!

#15 Voyager

Voyager
  • Newbies
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 08:52 PM

I love reading these stories!!! I joined last year and thank God I did as people with horrible credit feel they are alone, but they are not. This board is such a big help. My score was a little less than 500 and I though it will be this way forever, but when you have a family you look for help and this board was it!!! Closed 3 weeks ago with score of 625, rates ok, but will refinance when I have a chance. I will recommend this board to all my friends.

#16 A+Credit2005

A+Credit2005
  • Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:08 PM

Awesome! and you got your house!!!

#17 edm

edm
  • Members
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:35 PM

Excellent examplery success information.

#18 ebonyi

ebonyi
  • Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:58 AM

Yay!! for you & your success. Reading these stories is so motivational, thank you for sharing.

#19 direred

direred
  • Bloggers
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:19 PM

The scores I get from myFICO.com -- I used to use the real myFICO image, but now I just do my own photoshop graphic. Because I can, y'know?

#20 dorianyates

dorianyates
  • Newbies
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:13 AM

congrats

#21 OHIOMANINJAX

OHIOMANINJAX
  • Newbies
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:57 PM

Just wanted to say thank you CB all of you guys were a huge help to me. my credit rateing has gone from

T.U. 492 11/05
EXP 492 11/05
EQX 492 11/05

To

T.U 563 02/06
EXP 537 02/06
EQX 576 02/06

I have sent letter constantly dispute after dispute and things are looking up. im self employed and i dont want to get a mortgage till i reach 620. but i know its on the way thanks guys.

#22 eve

eve
  • Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:29 PM

wow=- wtg

#23 Bobbilane

Bobbilane
  • Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:16 AM

Amazing success!! Congrats on the grand prize of your new mortgage. :glare:

#24 Danny P.

Danny P.
  • Newbies
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:48 PM

HI. Good Work and Good Luck. One question if I may? I have tried to get those 3 to fix my addresses and only eq has complied, but how would I get them to fix my various names? I only have one lol b ut they have my name listed a few different ways? any advise?

#25 Lanell

Lanell
  • Newbies
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:22 PM

I have a credit card that I have had for over three years, and paid it on time every time except once , but
all the other times it was paid early. But the one time about a year ago I mailed my payment off, now this
was during Christmas time but I mailed it eight days early. But they sat that it was two days late and now
my interest rate went from 12% to 29.99% because they said I defaulted by two days . They will not
lower my interest rate. And now that the interest rate is so high I am only able to pay amount owed and
about 30.00 extra with that. And I guess thats not enough because a couple of times they said I went
over my credit limit,because of all the interest and fees . I only owe them $4554.00

How can I get them to please lower my interest rate. I am a single mother of thee and I really need to
get rid of this bill. I need help . Please help me !

Thank s so much for you help.

Tammy
bullo6@aol.com

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.