Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

I need some help here.

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 Algo

Algo

Official CB pain in the butt

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 01:39 PM

Telling me to just go find a new job isn't as easy as it looks. I was looking for a new job for about 6 months before I found this job. I was fortunate enough to have a job for the majority of it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know it's not easy. But since you have a job now you can continue your job search and still work. I am curious why you went for criminal justice if you didn't want a job in that field :clapping:

#27 Erica

Erica
  • Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 01:43 PM

Telling me to just go find a new job isn't as easy as it looks. I was looking for a new job for about 6 months before I found this job. I was fortunate enough to have a job for the majority of it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know it's not easy. But since you have a job now you can continue your job search and still work. I am curious why you went for criminal justice if you didn't want a job in that field :clapping:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I was fresh out of HS, I wanted to be a cop. I'm 11 years older and have more "family" to go home to now. When you're young, you don't think that you'll have someone that cares about you or that you care about, and then I was going to school for Criminal Justice, Chemistry, Anthropology. I wanted to do Forensics. I only have 21 credits left for my Bachelors, but I owe the college tuition, and they won't release my records.

I like what I do, and I don't think it's fair for you to say "go find a new job". I haven't stayed at a job long enough for people to think I'm stable. I really want a career, not a job. I want to be at a place for 20 years, a place I can retire from. My God, I'm 30 and I work retail? I don't want to say that. I asked for help with my existing pay, and my existing bills, not a lecture on how I should change jobs.

#28 Amaretto

Amaretto
  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 01:48 PM

You can do more things with a criminal justice degree than just be a cop.

#29 Ian's Mom

Ian's Mom

aka Dane

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 01:55 PM

Erica,

People here offer will offer all types of suggestions as a way to get you to "think outside of the box". Don't take it as an attack. You can take advice or leave it....no one will feel bad if their "suggestion" did not help.

Back to the current problem- is driving your car and paying the gas and tolls the only way for you to get to work?? would it be more economically to take the subway or carpool?

The car is killing you ( car payment/insurance/ gas)

#30 Erica

Erica
  • Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 02:57 PM

Erica,

People here offer will offer all types of suggestions as a way to get you to "think outside of the box". Don't take it as an attack. You can take advice or leave it....no one will feel bad if their "suggestion" did not help.

Back to the current problem- is driving your car and paying the gas and tolls the only way for you to get to work?? would it be more economically to take the subway or carpool?

The car is killing you ( car payment/insurance/ gas)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I live in Central NY, no subway or buses around for that matter. There's only one other person that lives kind of near me, but far enough away for it to be a hassle for her. I really like my car, and I think that the kind of car I have and the insurance I pay is pretty reasonable. Besides it's one of the only positive trades on my report. I really think I can do it, and I know it will be really tough for a while, but I think I can do it. No more clothes, no more unnecessary things. The only thing that I DO need is a passport. That's 85 dollars, and I do need it.

#31 Ian's Mom

Ian's Mom

aka Dane

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 03:21 PM

ahhhh..I was thinking New York City....
couldn't figure out why the C was first!!

Don't mind me...I live in the south!!

Well...I think you have some great ideas so far....just a matter of trial and error. When we was going through our divorces, my best friend and I (we were also roommates) allowed $5TOTAL a night out for entertainment. Found the dance clubs that let ladies in for free and each bought a beer. We would hold onto the bottle until a man offered to buy us a drink and so on.....we got a lot of free drinks- a LOT of exercise and have some memories that $$$ can't buy!!! We thought our lives sucked at the time but the were the best days of our lives!!

#32 Algo

Algo

Official CB pain in the butt

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 03:25 PM

When we was going

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HAHA yep you're from the south.

:D

#33 Ian's Mom

Ian's Mom

aka Dane

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 03:37 PM

HAHAH!!!! :P

I stated to say...When I was going.....but then changed it!

I need to learn to read my posts before I hit add!! :angry:

When we was going

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HAHA yep you're from the south.

:D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#34 Gingerly

Gingerly
  • Members
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:30 PM

I was just thinking about a good point Suze Orman always brings up...how much does BF make? It's about how to divide household expenses properly based on each person's salary.

#35 invisible assistant

invisible assistant
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:34 PM

and not to cause tension between you and your boss but is there any way you can request a pay increase before your scheduled increase in 3 months? i did this at my current job about a month after i started because my pay was barely covering my expenses, just like your situation. i was told that a raise at that time was too soon, but they did consider giving me a raise a little earlier than i would have gotten if i hadn't asked. so maybe you can request a pay increase after 1 month or 45 days? just tell them your situation, how you love the job but that you were hoping that maybe they can consider even a partial pay increase a little sooner than what had been discussed, etc. the worst they can say is no.

also, are you having more taken out of your paychecks for taxes, or less? i have a relatively new co-worker who was having more taken out but opted to switch so she has more take-home pay. i thought i'd bring that up just in case you hadn't already done (or thought of) that so you can use it to your advantage.

good luck on your job and financial situation! :aggressive:

#36 cotterpin

cotterpin

No Title Necessary

• Mod Squad
  • 4,987 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 09:10 PM

Working m-th gives you Fridays free to pick up a second job, which would still give you the weekends. WOrking a full day shift even at a Dunkin donuts, or a grocery store for minimum wage, whatever you need to do for now will help you out with another 50 dollars or so a week.

Also, working in the Chiro's office will be good experience, see about picking up weekend/rotating perdiem shifts at the local hospital doing admissions/registration/unit secretary work. Those shifts sometimes will pay you 12-15/hr depending on the hospital because they can be difficult to fill.

Depending on your "standards" there's plenty you could do what the CJ degree as well. Probation officer, corrections officer, working in a group home with youthful offenders, etc.

If you have a state hospital near you, you could probably use that CJ degree and work on a mental health ward, even for one shift a week.

#37 radi8

radi8
  • Admin
  • 27,304 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 12:34 AM

Hey Erica;

At that income you'll have a minimal tax bill. Can you lower the fed/state deductions from each check?

Can you re-fi the car to lower the payments?

Car insurance- can you shop it around?

Congrats on finding a new job that you like! It's important to do something you enjoy, or can at least tolerate. Really helps reduce the stress. Money can't buy everything :(
Benefits don't sound bad either.

#38 Erica

Erica
  • Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 09:30 AM

Hey Erica;

At that income you'll have a minimal tax bill.  Can you lower the fed/state deductions from each check? I claim zero because I have a hard time coming up with the money to pay uncle sam at the end of the year. A tax lein is something I don't need right now. LOL

Can you re-fi the car to lower the payments? I could, but I'd need a co-signor and there's noone to do that for me.

Car insurance- can you shop it around?  I'd love to shop it around, but as shot as my scores are, ( I really don't even know what they are TBQH, but I know they are less than 600) I can't afford any inquiries and denials on my reports. I don't even have money to send out validation letters CMRRR.

Congrats on finding a new job that you like!  It's important to do something you enjoy, or can at least tolerate.  Really helps reduce the stress.  Money can't buy everything :blink:
Benefits don't sound bad either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Everyone's had some great ideas. There's a liquor store opening here in a few days, I think I'm going to apply there. It's right in town.

LOL, Our town is so small that we just got a convenience store and a video store. Before that there was only a laundramat and a bait and tackle/can recycle shop.

#39 momto2greatkids

momto2greatkids
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 01:40 PM

Maybe change what you claim and have less taxes taken out and get a little more in each pay check, than when you get a raise in a few months you can change it again.

Other ideas:

Baby sitting? Can usually get paid pretty good on weekends. I watched 2 kids while their parents went out. They didn't care if I had a friend over. It was their bed time not to long after I got there. So I put the kids to bed and spend the rest of the night watching movies and eating popcorn. Where else are you going to get paid to watch movies and eat? Usually you have to pay to do that, not get paid to do it. I would wait till the kids were asleep than have a friend come over and watch a movie with me.

House cleaning? Couple hours once a week. Sweep, vacumm, mop, dust, wipe down the kitchen and bathroom.

Are you in an apartment? If you are see if you can do something to lower rent. My aunt cleans the laundry room and gets $50 off her rent. All she has to do is sweep, wipe stuff down, and change the trash once a week or so. It only take 10 minutes and she goes to the laundry room anyway. No laundry room? What about keeping the hall clean, parking lot/sidewalks clean, outside light bulbs changed? Some LL are willing to deduct a little off someones rent instead of getting calls and making trips just to change a light bulb or sweep the hall.

If their is an elderly couple see about doing general house cleaning, maybe mow the lawn, weekly trips to the store for them? I had a friend that did this. The couple didn't want to move but couldn't do everything them selves and their family lived in another town. Their family paid my friend to go to their house once a week to help them out. She cleaned their house, went to the store (they made a list) and mowed the lawn when it needed it.

Hey, you didn't mention a bar! How can a town not have a bar? Every town around here has a bar, even if there's only 200 people there's a bar(no gas station, grocery store, or any thing, just a bar), 700 people means 2 bars. There's a town we went to with about 6,000, they have 7 bars(all have off sale), plus 5 other places that sell liquor, liquor stores, gas stations, grocery stores. They might of got more since I was their last. You could stick a bar in the middle of no where around here and you'll soon have a little town. (actually, I think they maybe how some of the towns started) "If you build it, they will come."

Glad you found a job you like.

#40 travelgrl

travelgrl
  • Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 11:03 AM

These are great ideas- Babysitting or house cleaning. You can easily make $20-30 a night babysitting and if you clean 2 houses every 2 weeks you could make $100 or more. The good thing is you get paid cash at the time of service and you don't have to wait for a paycheck.

One of my neighbors started cleaning houses for extra cash and she started getting so busy and was bringing home like $400 cash each week.

#41 Gingerly

Gingerly
  • Members
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 12:37 PM

How can a town not have a bar?  Every town around here has a bar, even if there's only 200 people there's a bar(no gas station, grocery store, or any thing, just a bar), 700 people means 2 bars.  There's a town we went to with about 6,000, they have 7 bars(all have off sale), plus 5 other places that sell liquor, liquor stores, gas stations, grocery stores. They might of got more since I was their last.  You could stick a bar in the middle of no where around here and you'll soon have a little town. (actually, I think they maybe how some of the towns started) "If you build it, they will come."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:dntknw:

Ain't that the truth!

#42 Erica

Erica
  • Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 01:20 PM

We have a bar, the owner bartends there. BUT it's only one bar. LOL

#43 Pam

Pam

Site Owner

• Admin
  • 12,102 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 02:40 PM

I know you're leery but I would suggest raising your deductible on your car insurance, even to $500 would lower your premiums a bit.

At a $200/$250 deductible on car insurance, you're losing money unless you have a claim every 9 months (I believe that's the "break even" point for the deductible, taking into account the difference in premium for a $250 deductible and $500 deductible. If it's not 9 months, it's right around there.) Our insurance payment is almost half with a $500 deductible what it is with a $250 deductible.

Honestly, that would be an easy decision for me: money now for food vs. not having to pay out for some potential claim down the road. If it would make you feel more secure, you could open up one of the ING savings accounts and throw a few bucks into it every month until you hit $500 and just use that as a separate deductible emergency fund.

Be honest with your BF, tell him you're having some hard times financially and ask him if he can cover the household bills until you get caught up and have modest emergency funds in place.

Call your student loan servicer and ask for an extension of your forebearance or ask about graduated repayment plans (interest only for 2 or 4 years) or hardship forebearances. They have these plans for a reason. For the first couple of months of hardship forebearance, save that money that you planned on paying ($170x2 = $340) and then pay off your tuition so you can get back in school = deferrment of those student loans.

Good luck, I too remember those lean days right out of college when I was making like $11 more than I had to send out every month! Yeowch.

*edited to change some deductible numbers, I was posting in a hurry.

#44 Clarkfan2

Clarkfan2
  • Banned
  • 511 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 03:23 PM

How about throwing boxes at UPS on the graveyard shift? (A free workout) More income is the solution since the car loan is probably upside down and you can't afford to sell it. How about a yard sale? Can you sell stuff on ebay? What can your BF help you with? Is he going to watch you go BK without helping? You need a plan and a bigger shovel to dig yourself out of this hole.

After getting some extra money, getting that lock off your grades and finishing college should be a primary goal. 21 hours could easily make a difference of $5.00 to $10.00 per hour. Even if you have to pay cash for those hours to finish school it would be worth it. We are only talking maybe 1k a month in extra income (Waiting tables on the weekends) to make a drastic change in your financial situation. We aren't talking working 2 jobs forever just a few months to try to get above water.

#45 madflower

madflower
  • Newbies
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 06:00 PM

Who owns your house? Can you leverage that with a home equity line of credit at 6% and pay off your car, then drop some of the extra insurance on it (towing etc.) and up the deductible to 1k and save money there? Or drop to pl/pd insurance and drive very carefully, but you cant drop to pl/pd with a bank lein on the loan.

I assume the interest on your car is greater then 6%. I assume the mortgage is in your name because you are paying the mortgage and not the utilities.

Also, call the student loan people and see if you can get your monthly payments lowered. A
lot of times they let you do this, but you have to call and ask, and press the issue a bit.

It will extend the life of the loan, but i would venture to guess it isn't your highest interest loan.

Also if you DO own the house, and you are paying PMI on the loan, and have owned the house for over a year, call the lender and ask them if you can drop PMI with your good payment history.
even if it is your bf's have him do it for you. That could save you 50+ bucks a month right there.

#46 Erica

Erica
  • Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 09:01 AM

Who owns your house? Can you leverage that with a home equity line of credit at 6% and pay off your car, then drop some of the extra insurance on it (towing etc.) and up the deductible to 1k and save money there? Or drop to pl/pd insurance and drive very carefully, but you cant drop to pl/pd with a bank lein on the loan.

I assume the interest on your car is greater then 6%. I assume the mortgage is in your name because you are paying the mortgage and not the utilities.

Also, call the student loan people and see if you can get your monthly payments lowered. A
lot of times they let you do this, but you have to call and ask, and press the issue a bit.

It will extend the life of the loan, but i would venture to guess it isn't your highest interest loan.

Also if you DO own the house, and you are paying PMI on the loan, and have owned the house for over a year, call the lender and ask them if you can drop PMI with your good payment history.
even if it is your bf's have him do it for you. That could save you 50+ bucks a month right there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My BF owns the house and he just refinanced about 4 months ago.

I picked up an application yesterday to the video store here in town. Usually retail joints are flexible with their scheduling. Friday and Saturday, 2 shifts at 8 bucks an hour? I can do that.

#47 Ian's Mom

Ian's Mom

aka Dane

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:14 AM

See...it's starting to look up already :rofl:

#48 Erica

Erica
  • Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:51 AM

See...it's starting to look up already :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL, I didn't say I filled it out yet. LMAO. I DO hope that I get something here in town. The video store is a great way to bump up my video library.....

#49 madflower

madflower
  • Newbies
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 03:28 PM

Wanna move in with me and pay my mortgage? my bills are like 1/3 of my mortgage payment. You don't even get the option of cutting out cable, or keeping the lights off or the heat down. Renegiotiate your rent, not as a lover, but as an individual. Frankly he is just your bf, and you may love him and he might love you too but that doesn't mean you guys are legally obligated to each others finances at this point (he didnt put you on the title when he refinanced, and not only are you paying the "house payment" but I bet you are paying his property taxes, and he is getting a nice fat tax check back.)

If you guys wanted to do that you would be married and everything would be jointly owned. I just have a sneaky suspician you are getting the shaft on this deal or you are essentially paying for hbo and showtime, which you don't even have the time to watch if you get another job. it is around 300/mo max for my utilies in a 3bdrm house which is not well insulated and can be a little breezy in the winter.
In the summer it is less than 100 bucks a month..

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.