Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Want your story in this forum?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 breeze

breeze

Site Owners & FC XXXVIII <3

• Admin
  • 47,536 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:36 PM

Creditboards is loaded with success stories - we read every day about CA's tucking tail and going home with no $$$, deletions, score increases. We know how wonderful they are!! Keep posting them. These are the small successes on the way to "the big one."

The real object of this forum is to snag those stories that say "this is where I started - and wow! look at me now!!"

Up until now, the posts just happened - a few have been collected over time, with the idea of moving them into a separate forum to inspire people just getting started, or having a tough time of it, tired of fighting.

I think all of us admins and mods have probably received requests to allow someone to post something here. The posts that go here will be moved into here from the credit forum, or the mortgage forum, wherever it happens to land when you lay out a start to finish story.

When you see a post that you think qualifies, or you think your own posts qualifies, you can PM one of us with a link, or just hit the alert button (it allows you to say why you you clicked alert, and you don't have to decide who to send it to. Don't be bashful, we want them, we just don't want to take the day to day "Sherman folded" or "got another deletion" posts and put them in this forum.

I hope this is clear enough - probably like mud. :) This forum is not an elitist group, no one really knows when their "I made it!" post will get put in here - it's just a group of inspiring stories.

I'll make this a sticky for a while, and if you have questions comments, etc, we can discuss them.

#2 naeemah2380

naeemah2380
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:01 PM

Hi
I need help......I am in the process in fixing my credit. However, I have a repo that shows twice on my Equifax. I sent them a letter but they responded stating that the repo belongs to me. I never stated that it was not mine. I am so pissed. The repo is four years old...That is the only thing left on my credit besides an Att bill for 520.00. Which I am going to pay.....My scores is 520, 590 and 540...Please help me. In addition I made a settlement with the repo but they are playing hard ball....

#3 aeronsmom

aeronsmom
  • Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:59 PM

Creditboards is loaded with success stories - we read every day about CA's tucking tail and going home with no $$$, deletions, score increases. We know how wonderful they are!! Keep posting them. These are the small successes on the way to "the big one."

The real object of this forum is to snag those stories that say "this is where I started - and wow! look at me now!!"

Up until now, the posts just happened - a few have been collected over time, with the idea of moving them into a separate forum to inspire people just getting started, or having a tough time of it, tired of fighting.

I think all of us admins and mods have probably received requests to allow someone to post something here. The posts that go here will be moved into here from the credit forum, or the mortgage forum, wherever it happens to land when you lay out a start to finish story.

When you see a post that you think qualifies, or you think your own posts qualifies, you can PM one of us with a link, or just hit the alert button (it allows you to say why you you clicked alert, and you don't have to decide who to send it to. Don't be bashful, we want them, we just don't want to take the day to day "Sherman folded" or "got another deletion" posts and put them in this forum.

I hope this is clear enough - probably like mud. :grin: This forum is not an elitist group, no one really knows when their "I made it!" post will get put in here - it's just a group of inspiring stories.

I'll make this a sticky for a while, and if you have questions comments, etc, we can discuss them.

Would it be possible if those who post their stories provide more timeline info? I noticed some do state when they first started their journey but maybe add like by such&such date, this happened, etc. until the date of success? Basically, I was curious to see how long it took people to reach success. Thank you!

#4 Danny P.

Danny P.
  • Newbies
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:24 PM

Hello. My name is Danny, and a co-worker ( jeff ) turned me to this web site and has been giving me very vaulable help in trying to repair my credit. I must say some of this stuff does confuse me but I am trying. After talking to my Co-Worker and getting my Credit Reports my scores were low. so far my scores have jumped up from tu-516 ( same now ) ex-489 to 549 and eq-371 to 551 . For me to see this was awesome. I know I have a long road but im game :P . I have already sent out my 1st Validation letter so now its hard ball time lol :) I try to read this everyday so if anybody wants to reply do so and I will heed any advise giving :)

Thanks CreditBoards and Jeff. I hope to get my Life back on Track and one day buy a House!
edited to remove email address from body of post

Edited by fla-tan, 24 May 2006 - 05:02 AM.

#5 michel34

michel34
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 06:46 PM

I am a writer researching a story and would love to post a query in this section. Would you consider posting this query for your readers?

Women's Mag Writer Looking for 'Recovery From Debt' Success Stories:

I'm researching an assignment for a major women's magazine on 'when bad debt happens to good people.'
I am trying to find women who have recovered from debt who can describe both how they got into debt (a big wedding? student loans? an illness? gambling?) and how they got out of debt. This is ultimately an inspirational feature designed to help other women avoid the same pitfalls. Please contact me via e-mail if you are interested in participating in this story at eastmichel@yahoo.com and I'll get into the details more.
Also, while I can only include women who represent our demographic (U.S. women, 25-45), anyone else reading this should still feel free to reply and offer feedback about your experiences or suggestions on how I might find sources for this story. You will help educate me on this issue. Thank you!

Lynn

I hope this is clear enough - probably like mud. :P This forum is not an elitist group, no one really knows when their "I made it!" post will get put in here - it's just a group of inspiring stories.

#6 cognito_tute

cognito_tute
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:45 PM

Kicking Junk Dept Creditor's Butt! :angry:

Went in today for court hearing with a Junck Dept Dealer. We both denied mediation. he handed me the proof I was in the wrong. The "proof" he handed me showed the dept was over a year beyond the Oregon Statute of limitations. Which I was planning on proving.

When we went into court for the hearing the Plaintiff handed the judge the "proof" he handed me and presented his case.

When it was my turn I handed the judge the same document (plaintiff's) showing this was a time-barred dept and exceeded the Oregon Statute of limitations. Denied the dept.

Damn, the junk Dept Dealer looked so disapointed (ha, ha, ha).

After I won the court suit, I shook his hand and thanked him for not making me prove the same point with my large folder of PROOF, i.e., letters, certified letter recipes, credit reports, quoting the Oregon Law, etc.

I have my judgement and Dept Scavenger has squwat!

Thank you Creditboard (and Dixie)!!!!

GT's for everyone!

#7 Nicole

Nicole
  • Newbies
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:13 PM

In September/October 2005 when I found this board, my credit score was really low, about 507 I think, which was after my BK was discharged. I wanted to start to rebuild my credit and stop paying high interest rates and not be ashamed of my credit. After reading alot of the material on here, I found alot of useful information and help. In January 2006, I bought a new/used car, a 2002 Chrylser Sebring, however the interest rate was high, which I knew I was going to get and have to accept it if I wanted a new car. At the time of purchase, the sales person showed me my credit report and score, which was 507, and said before my BK and up to a certain point, I had pretty good credit. In January 2006, I came back to this board and was looking at the success of other people were having with buying cars and getting credit cards. So I educated myself some more about raising my credit score and found out how to do, which happens to be getting a line of credit from some where. So I applied for a credit card through Orchard Bank, and to my surprise, I was approved. I received a low limit of 300.00, which was fine with me, cause I just wanted something that would help to improve my credit report and score. So, up until June 2006, the only credit lines that I had were, my car payment and a credit card with 300.00. I received an offer letter from Capital One for a credit card, to my surprise once again, I was approved for a 500.00 limit. A few days letter another offer came in the mail from another credit card company called Merrick Bank. They offered me a 750.00 credit limit with NO ANNUAL FEE. So now I have 3 credit cards and 1 car payment all in GOOD STANDING and my credit score is now at:

Posted Image

I figure next month when I check my score, at least Equifax should then be report me with a good credit score and list me as having good credit.

I'm so excited. I also recently got approved for an apartment and the better news is, I didn't need a security deposit equivalent to the rent or a co-signer.

I just wanted to share my good news with good people of this board and thank them all for their help when I've asked for it. This board is extremely helpful. Thank you so much.

#8 ddarch

ddarch
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:48 AM

I started my credit repair about a month ago. I was very careless with credit when I first started college. I regret all that swiping I did back then. Anyway, I have been repairing my credit getting derogs deleting and so on. I am finally reaching the 600 mark on EQ. Joining CreditBoards was the best thing I've done for myself in a long time.

Thanks Creditboards :) Since I joined I have added the following tradelines:

First Premier(I know I shouldn't have) $300
Continental Finance Platinum Mastercard $300
Crown Jewelers $1500
HC Processing $2000

Are there any other cards I can get with FICO's in the high 500's

#9 iowenada97

iowenada97
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:33 PM

I have a judgment hearing to attend at 9am on Fri Sep 28, 2007. I just got the letter that the creditor was suing me 2 days ago. So this a:M I printed out a debt validation letter
signed and dated it and sent a copy by certified letter. It won't get there until Fri at noon., so to ensure it got to my creditor I went and hand delivered this debt validation letter directly to my creditor, Asset Acceptance in Warren, Michigan. I had to run around town to see where they were located, it seems like they move, and of course dont leave a forwarding address, just a P.O. When I phoned to just get an address, the receptionist was reluctant to give out their whereabouts, even when she was told I was on the same street they were located and all I needed was a street address. They are very evasive. We all know we cant send a certified letter to a P.O. Box and make certain it gets to our creditor on time, or even at all. Of course the docs that the Asset Acceptance representative gave me were minus the actual address, where Asset is located. I have been perusing several creditor/debtor boards so I can be prepared for tomorrows court case, and found that the address given for Asset here in Michigan is wrong. The new address for Asset Acceptance is 28405 Van Dyke Rd., Warren, Michigan. I hope this helps any one out there, having to deal with this company.

#10 breeze

breeze

• Admin
  • 47,536 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:43 PM

It's better not to post questions and information in here unless it's about this particular subject - here is the main forum, post in it http://creditboards....php?showforum=2 - look for the "new topic" button.

#11 flickfire

flickfire
  • Newbies
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:54 AM

On January, I received a summons telling me that I was being sued by a major credit card company for over $17,000 for an overdue credit card debt. This along with all my other debts totaled between $45,000 to 60 thousand dollars.

Obviously being shaken by this lawsuit which I had no way of paying, I went to Legal Aid, where I saw an attorney who told me I could file Preliminary Objections to the court, which would buy me some time, at least until I could get the money to hire an attorney. A month later, for about $600, I hired an bankruptcy attorney through Legal Aid, had my bankruptcy hearing on March 17, where I got a total discharge of all my credit card and medical bill debt, and just a couple of days ago, I got my offical bankruptcy discharge certificate, which I had to make copies of and mail to all my credit agencies(something I thought my attorney would take care of).

Anyway, this discharge is a huge burden off my shoulders, and I'm even starting to receive offers from some car loan and credit card companies, (which I throw in the garbage of course, after chucking over them).

I just wanted to say thank you to this board for your existence, and reading all these posts really helped me to decide on how the best way to handle my situation.

Take Care,

Sincerely,

Dan from PA

#12 LKH

LKH

Site Owner

• Admin
  • 23,804 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:10 AM

On January, I received a summons telling me that I was being sued by a major credit card company for over $17,000 for an overdue credit card debt. This along with all my other debts totaled between $45,000 to 60 thousand dollars.

Obviously being shaken by this lawsuit which I had no way of paying, I went to Legal Aid, where I saw an attorney who told me I could file Preliminary Objections to the court, which would buy me some time, at least until I could get the money to hire an attorney. A month later, for about $600, I hired an bankruptcy attorney through Legal Aid, had my bankruptcy hearing on March 17, where I got a total discharge of all my credit card and medical bill debt, and just a couple of days ago, I got my offical bankruptcy discharge certificate, which I had to make copies of and mail to all my credit agencies(something I thought my attorney would take care of).

Anyway, this discharge is a huge burden off my shoulders, and I'm even starting to receive offers from some car loan and credit card companies, (which I throw in the garbage of course, after chucking over them).

I just wanted to say thank you to this board for your existence, and reading all these posts really helped me to decide on how the best way to handle my situation.

Take Care,

Sincerely,

Dan from PA

You sent copies of your discharge papers to the CRA's?

#13 flickfire

flickfire
  • Newbies
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:34 AM

Yes. Because my lawyer told me to, so that all of my credit reports are updated. It makes sense to me.

#14 princessornurse

princessornurse
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:28 PM

Any recent success stories from the last few years? I need some encouragement.

Edited by princessornurse, 06 January 2010 - 10:28 PM.

#15 breeze

breeze

• Admin
  • 47,536 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:43 PM

Any recent success stories from the last few years? I need some encouragement.

go here http://creditboards....hp?showforum=36 and start reading - there's lots of recent stories! B)

#16 adventurer07

adventurer07
  • Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:05 PM

Where I Started: A declined mortgage application in 2007 where the mortgage lender told me "Everything's great - except your credit". Since I hadn't used or even tried to get any credit in 5 years, this raised a big question for me. I found out I had more than 20 accounts per report (a total of over 60 items!) that weren't even mine, as well as numerous reporting errors on the accounts that were mine. Another person's social security number, which was one middle digit different from mine was listed on my report.

How I Handled it: I began making inquiries via letter and phone (pre-cb) in the summer of 2007. I learned that some of them were medical debts that should have been covered by insurance and was able to have several accounts removed. However I found the process tedious and discouraging. I felt like I was swimming in a sea in the middle of the night with no idea how to find the shore.

Then, during a search for credit reporting (I had been using freecreditreport.com and found myself disatisfied), I stumbled on Creditboards. If I only knew then how much it would change my life! The first six months on the site I was completely overwhelmed. I spent every spare moment reading and attempting to pattern my letters after the samples I found on the site. I tried to follow the information and researched a great deal. I was successful in removing 10 accounts that first six months due to accounts being past the reporting period, and other minor errors. In 2008 after almost a year of painstaking research and waffling, I filed for bankruptcy to resolve three outstanding judgements that had been awarded in 1999 - 2001 totalling $12,000. I couldn't apply for my securities license due to the judgements as they were over $8,000. The bankruptcy included about 20K in medical debt as well. It was discharged in November 2008.

Around that time I began to relax my credit repair to deal with school and other personal issues. In August 2009, my car's power steering died. I visited a local car dealership and applied for a loan on a 2009 Chrysler Sebring. Thirty days later the dealership notified me that the financing had fallen through (likely because they were trying to sell me a used car but presented it as new). I eventually financed a 2002 Oldsmobile Aurora at an atrocious 20% interest rate and put $3,500 down. The vehicle was a disaster but I stuck with it. At this point I followed the advice of CB and began repairing once again by procuring some new trade lines.

Recently the car needed repairs totaling $700. I'd already put $900 in repairs into it in 10 months and just bought a new tire that cost $200. I was too upside down on the car to refinance it as the value on it had decreased dramatically due to Oldsmobile no longer producing vehicles. So in frustration I went online to Capital One and applied for a loan "just to see what would happen". I figured if I was declined, at least then I'd know I was stuck with the car.

I was instantly approved. You cannot imagine my astonishment! It was a 9.6% rate for 60 months for up to $14,400. I was overjoyed! The next day I visited a Hyundai dealership and began the process of determining what was feasible.

Where I am Now: I am the proud new owner of a 2010 Hyundai Elantra, financed at 5.9% by Hyundai! Not only did I get a great rate but my loan payoff was reduced $700 for the prior car and I received a $2,500 incentive rebate. The dealership treated me like royalty and the sales manager came out to shake my hand and say "Great job on your credit! Your Equifax FICO is 708. Congratulations!"

I believe in hard work and know that my hard work would have gotten me far but I could NOT have come THIS far without Creditboards. The advice, encouragement and support has been amazing these last three years and I am so glad I found this site. So thank you to everyone who has helped me, answering questions and offering support. You guys are the best and you changed my life!

#17 Artie77

Artie77
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:05 PM

Greetings my fellow CB'ers....First of all I would like to say that a little over a year of credit advice and tips has led to 2 Amex card accounts (Green and Gold) My story is as follows....

A little over a year ago my scores were in the low 500's for all three credit bureaus. I had a judgment/ repo, 2 charged off cc's (hsbc and BOA), several CA's reporting and about 7 or 8 student loans reporting as 120+ delinquent. I started off in the newbie section trying to absorb all of the information I possibly could without my head exploding. Reading everyones posts and building a solid understanding of how credit works was absolutely paramount in cleaning up my credit. After disputing, DV'ing and in some cases settling accounts at fractions of the original amounts and then disputing them, my scores for all three bureaus are now in the mid to upper 600's in only a bit over a year.

I was recently approved for the Amex Green and decided to press my luck and try for the Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card and was APPROVED!!!!....It was the absolute greatest feeling in the world to know that typing letters, sending crrr's, fighting with collection agencies and being a student of credit paid off in such a meaningful way. I owe the greatest amount of gratitude to the multitudes of CB'ers who lend their knowledge to the blog for the betterment of society. Now that I have reached the promised land, the sky is the limit....and I am currently working on establishing business credit for my very own investment firm. I am totally confident now and I feel like I can take over the world!!!!Now that I have this knowledge, I plan to build on it and to never fall back into the bad habits I was so accustomed to over a year ago....Thanks again, CB.

I'LL SEE YOU AT THE TOP!!!!!!!!!

#18 CAG99

CAG99
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:52 AM

I am new here and not sure how or where to post this. I have recently had some success using the advice I have found here. I have horrible credit from some past medical problems and job loss. I desperately want to repair my credit. My scores last month were all around 450-500 (ouch). It's been about a month since I began disputing. I had 27 baddies with Transunion and they just deleted 18!! Also had 7 judgements and they deleted 3 of them plus old personal info!! Equifax had 11 baddies and deleted 3 so far plus 2 of 5 judgements deleted!! What incentive! I thank you soooo much for all of your help and encouraging stories!

#19 by2

by2
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

I have been working on improving my credit reports over the past thirty days and when I began, my scores were in high 500's since then I just got approved for a capital one platinum card for $1000.00!!! Also when I applied in Oct 2010 I did online and they asked for additional information, today I spoke with a live customers service representative and got approved. Thanks for the wonderful help CB!!!! My scores are now rising over in the mid 600's in no time!!! Oh by the way I also has a foreclosure to deal with but things have really changed; specifically, since I was a apart of a settle class action law suit with the foreclosure that settle and got a tiny (not worth mentioning) settlement on Christmas eve!!!

Edited by by2, 12 January 2012 - 03:54 PM.

#20 by2

by2
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

I have been working on improving my credit reports over the past thirty days and when I began, my scores were in high 500's since then I just got approved for a capital one platinum card for $1000.00!!! Also when I applied in Oct 2010 I did online and they asked for additional information, today I spoke with a live customers service representative and got approved. Thanks for the wonderful help CB!!!! My scores are now rising over in the mid 600's in no time!!! Oh by the way I also has a foreclosure to deal with but things have really changed; specifically, since I was a apart of a settle class action law suit with the foreclosure that settle and got a tiny (not worth mentioning) settlement on Christmas eve!!!

#21 by2

by2
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

I CB Fans just got my reports updated to date to find that: LVNV FUNDING LLC Outcome: Deleted! Also just got approved for Barclay's Apple CR for 1300.00, VC for 350.00 and got my foreclosed mortgage 1st and 2nd removed from 2 of my reports!!! I must admit Equifax is a challenged but I'm up for the fight!!!! Rebuilding and also telling everyone I know that CB is the only way to go!!! Thanks again. Oh yea Macy's accepted my goodwill letter and now waiting on other creditor to accept!!!

#22 by2

by2
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

I CB Fans just got my reports updated to date to find that: LVNV FUNDING LLC Outcome: Deleted! Also just got approved for Barclay's Apple CR for 1300.00, VC for 350.00 and got my foreclosed mortgage 1st and 2nd removed from 2 of my reports!!! I must admit Equifax is a challenged but I'm up for the fight!!!! Rebuilding and also telling everyone I know that CB is the only way to go!!! Thanks again. Oh yea Macy's accepted my goodwill letter and now waiting on other creditor to accept!!!

And the story continues to get better now credit scores in high 600's on my way to my short term goal of obtaining 700 in the next 30 days! Today awoke to find an approval with Navy Federal for $5000.00 unsecured. I applies in Oct11 for a secured card with Navy Federal and was approved for up to $5000.00 so I put in $3000.00 of my own funds and paid the balance off for past three months and decided to try my luck with their cash rewards and was approved. Thanks CB you all are again the best!!!!

Edited by by2, 16 January 2012 - 12:26 PM.

#23 Scdawg

Scdawg
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:12 AM

Had 30 negatives, and 4 positive TL's when I first found Credit Boards. 2 months later, after living every spare moment of my life on this website I am up to 6 positive TL's, 7 out of 30 negatives already deleted with an additional 9 more set to be removed in 2012. I have done all of my disputes online with the Credit Bureaus and haven't even had to sent my first DV letter out yet. Thanks for all the info thus far and I hope and plan to continue my journey through and with this site. I will keep you posted on the progress that will be made. Thanks so much. Sincerely, ScDawg.

#24 AVonhaven

AVonhaven
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

I just started using this forum today and I am kind of lost. I might be posting at the wrong place but don't know where else to ask this. I once heard that one should not stop paying store credit cards once they ( unlike regular credit cards ) will find ways to get you to return every item purchased with them. Does anyone here know if this is the case? I can no longer make the payments but I am afraid they will raid my house looking for those items. Please help. Thanks

#25 breeze

breeze

• Admin
  • 47,536 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

I just started using this forum today and I am kind of lost. I might be posting at the wrong place but don't know where else to ask this. I once heard that one should not stop paying store credit cards once they ( unlike regular credit cards ) will find ways to get you to return every item purchased with them. Does anyone here know if this is the case? I can no longer make the payments but I am afraid they will raid my house looking for those items. Please help. Thanks

No, it's not true. Why don't you start your own topic here http://creditboards....php?showforum=2 click the "start new topic" button and type away. We'll help you figure out what to do.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.