Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

OPT OUT!

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#151 roadrage

roadrage
  • Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:53 PM

By OPTING OUT, Does it:
1: Prevent anyone, CA's mainly from knowing where you work?
2: Will it keep you lying low when trying to refin. a car loan and prevent CA from seeing that you are refin????

Thanks,
Ocean

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes...unless they have an account of yours already...but you can fix that by deleting the employment information from your reports

How would you delete the employment information from your report? Just send the CRA's a dispute saying you no longer work at any of the companies listed? Would you have to tell them where you are working now? Would they try to verify your employment and refuse to take that information off of your report if they find out differently?

Thanks!

just call them up and tell them to delete it. if they ask, say it's inaccurate. an easy delete. while you're on the phone with them, ask them to delete your phone number and spouse and all the addresses other than the current one. EQ will do it. TU will do it. EXP will try not to. They will delete all not tied to a TL and you will have to hassle them on the remaining old addresses until kingdom come. it is not necessary for your employer to be on there and they do not have to have that info. don't give it to them.

Thanks macuser,

What do you tell them if they ask what is the reason for deleting all addresses other than your current one?

Also, what about your name? Should one try to get them to just report your first and last name, and no middle name, middle initial, etc? Also, what if they happen to have your drivers license number on file? Can you get that taken off?

Thanks again!

#152 RacieRacer

RacieRacer
  • Members
  • 6,432 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:56 AM

Thanks macuser,

What do you tell them if they ask what is the reason for deleting all addresses other than your current one?

Also, what about your name? Should one try to get them to just report your first and last name, and no middle name, middle initial, etc? Also, what if they happen to have your drivers license number on file? Can you get that taken off?

Thanks again!

You can easily have old addresses deleted online with EQ and TU, just click 'not mine'. Seems like I even disputed a drivers license number online with TU and it came off.

IME it's been like pulling teeth to get Experian to delete things such as very obvious mis-spellings of your name or address. And you can't even dispute them online anyway, as if it matters, because they won't delete them, IME anyway.

With all 3, for name changes, date of birth, and SSN you must do this via mail and provide the proof they require.

#153 greendayfan

greendayfan
  • Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:37 AM

You can also opt out online by going to http://www.optoutprescreen.com (this link is the one they give out when you call 1-888-5optout)

this link is good as of Jan 2006

Thanks for the information. I just opted out, so this link is still working (March 2006).

#154 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 06:14 PM

I DON'T GET ANY...

I OPT'D IN JUST INCASE SOMEBODY HAD ME OPT'D OUT WITH-OUT MY PERMISSION

DIDN'T HELP

Edited by GEORGE, 25 March 2006 - 06:15 PM.

#155 Ineedadrink

Ineedadrink
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:28 PM

Ok at the risk of sounding stupid....I opted out today, but I am moving in a couple of weeks...do I need to opt out again when I move? I know it's good for 5 years...but is that just the adress and number you listed that's opted out, or ANY number and adress for 5 years?

#156 Alex

Alex
  • Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:39 PM

Ok at the risk of sounding stupid....I opted out today, but I am moving in a couple of weeks...do I need to opt out again when I move? I know it's good for 5 years...but is that just the adress and number you listed that's opted out, or ANY number and adress for 5 years?

Yes it would be a good idea.

If you file a change of address form with the US post office that new address is sold to hundreds of private entities so they can sell your name and address to make money and so all your junk mail will follow you.

Personally I recommend that people never ever file a change of address form that will point people to their real physical address. I recommend that people call up their credit card companies and all other people they want to do business with like dentists and let them know your new address. Call back the credit card companies a day or so later to make sure the change sunk in their databases.

#157 Ineedadrink

Ineedadrink
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 09:20 PM

Thanks Alex! So If I dispute something with the CA....when I mail it, don't I have to put my new address in the return address part? I mean is it ok to give the CRA my new address? I think I have to, to delete my old addy's right? Just wondering. Thanks again.

#158 arkdvd

arkdvd
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:03 AM

good evening all, i am new to CB and wanted to commend everyone who has worked hard to build this wealth of information and experience.

while i don't have a list of 'baddies' to remove, i am something of a privacy freak, so this OPT OUT thread drew my interest. after reading this and others, there were some basic questions that were never asked, and never answered.

does anyone have information for these?

1) when you order your credit report (free or otherwise) your street address is requested. is your credit report updated with the new address you provide? if yes, isn't that something of a self-defeating move?

2) in deleting old/incorrect addresses from the personal information section of your credit report, you are asked to provide your current address. will your credit report be updated with the address you provide?

3) when OPTING OUT from most every kind of database (peoplefinder.com, intelius.com, etc) you are asked to provide your current address with your request for OPTING OUT. is your current address information then used to populate another database?

sorry if this has been posted elsewhere already. i couldn't seem to find it.

#159 Alex

Alex
  • Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:57 PM

Thanks Alex! So If I dispute something with the CA....when I mail it, don't I have to put my new address in the return address part? I mean is it OK to give the CRA my new address? I think I have to, to delete my old addy's right? Just wondering. Thanks again.

The short answer is no or maybe. The return address is there just in case you forget to put a stamp on the envelope or the to address is undeliverable. You don't dispute with Collection Agencies (CA's). The main point of getting old addresses off of your credit reports is so that when you do a dispute with a CRA the CRA can't match the address the Original Creditor (OC) or CA has associated with the account to your address on your credit report. Having your new address updated with a CA defeats this. If you need to communicate with a CA or OC by mail and don't want to give up your new address you might look in the phone book and take out a mail box for $7 a month with UPS stores.

On a letter you can put any address or name you like. You can send in a credit card payment and use the credit card companies corporate address as the return address. That way, if you forget to put a stamp on the envelope they will still get it eventually. You can also use the real address and a different name "James Bond, 123 Main ST, Anytown USA." Or "Abraham Lincoln, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., Washington DC."

#160 Alex

Alex
  • Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:41 PM

While I don't have a list of 'baddies' to remove, I am something of a privacy freak, so this OPT OUT thread drew my interest. after reading this and others, there were some basic questions that were never asked, and never answered.

does anyone have information for these?

1) when you order your credit report (free or otherwise) your street address is requested. is your credit report updated with the new address you provide? if yes, isn't that something of a self-defeating move?

2) in deleting old/incorrect addresses from the personal information section of your credit report, you are asked to provide your current address. will your credit report be updated with the address you provide?

3) when OPTING OUT from most every kind of database (peoplefinder.com, intelius.com, etc.) you are asked to provide your current address with your request for OPTING OUT. is your current address information then used to populate another database?

sorry if this has been posted elsewhere already. I couldn't seem to find it.

Welcome to the board. Those are some good and complex questions.

Credit repair, identity theft prevention, and privacy are goals that can have conflicting priorities.

Let's first talk about the name and address on your credit report. You want your real name and some address on your credit reports. The name and address does not normally come from you. You are not the CRA's customer, the banks are. The name and address gets reported to the three CRA's by your creditors. While I have written a "get your name and address listed correctly" letter that is on this board it is designed to get your name listed correctly and to remove old incorrect addresses, not to add a new addresses. Credit card companies generally ping or automatically update to each CRA once a month. If you have name variations being reported, whatever one was reported most recently will rise to the top. So if you see a misspelling in there you need to call all the companies that report regularly and get their databases to list your name correctly before you mess with the CRA's.

The address that you receive your bills at is going to be the address at the top of the addresses on your credit report. That can be any address where you get your bills. It can be your physical address. It could be a PO box with UPS stores down the street. Or you could pay for a re-mailing service with a physical street address on the other side of the country to re-mail your bills to your PO box or your physical address.

When communicating with a CRA by mail they will ask for your drivers license and two copies of any bills at your address. They will take copies of a social security card and any two bills showing your address.

As long as you opt out your address listed with the CRA's is sort of not a problem as they can’t sell it. The exception of course would be Choice Point with gets all the Experian database stuff and makes it available to people who pay including the FBI.

You could get a physical address from a re-mailing service (mail drop) in your state and use that as your official address for absolutely everything including DMV, drivers license, IRS, and voting records.

Check out http://www.edenpress.com The Eden directory of private mail drops in the US and 90 foreign countries edition 2000.

Regarding ID theft having a mail drop can help you out this way. Say a black hat gets all your personal identifiers like name, address, mother maiden name and so on and has a field day. You can simply switch mail drops to a new town and zip code and that will change your address and zip code. It also makes finding your land line phone harder if you have one. If you rent and get your utilities an another or a fake name, use a pre paid cell phone, and use a mail drop you are pretty hard to find.

As far as slime companies like http://www.zabasearch.com, http://www.privateeye.com, http://find.intelius.com you are lucky if you can opt out at all. If you want to try I would do it by E-mail from a hotmail or some other kind of e-mail account that can't be traced back to you. Say you are an undercover narcotics officer or you are an officer with homeland security. You can threaten to complain to the States attorney Generals (SAG) office in the state they are incorporated in, the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The sad truth is that there are literally hundreds of databases out there that track your name and address. They are not breaking the law so there is little you can do about them except bug your elected officials in congress to pass privacy legislation like they have in the EU. If you are already listed in a few it's futile to try to opt out. Move forward and get a PO box or two and file a change of address form with the post office to an address that you don't physically live at. The US post office sells the data so it's a great way for you to disseminate false information.

Note that a few of the databases out their track all of your former addresses.

Edited by Alex, 27 March 2006 - 09:51 PM.

#161 Ineedadrink

Ineedadrink
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:43 AM

Thanks again...I'm sorry, I meant CRA.....typo. Anyhow, thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate it!

#162 NeoXtremeX

NeoXtremeX
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 12:53 AM

Slighly off topic... but i see no reason to opt-out because, sometimes, it even gives me a boost in morality to see those offers, even though they are sucky offers with high APRs and fees. Sometimes...we need the boost.

#163 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:17 AM

Slighly off topic... but i see no reason to opt-out because, sometimes, it even gives me a boost in morality to see those offers, even though they are sucky offers with high APRs and fees. Sometimes...we need the boost.

ALSO PRM's HELP WITH "B"

#164 NIK

NIK
  • Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:46 PM

I have been at my current address for 8 years. I have been extremely peaceful trying to recover from my brain injury. The creditors that I owed money to, should have been paid off by the insurances, that I always check yes when I apply for credit. The security/disability/catastrophic plans that they happily take cents per a dollar of your balance. I was in a coma for 1 year so those plans should have paid any debt to themselves. I need not to be bothered. Two weeks after I pulled a credit report, the gutter rats began to surface and were trying to collect what supposedly I had stiff them on. Just some of the colorful words they use. They send letters and two of them even slip information on my credit file. I had it removed because the information was 7 years+ old, but they had new false dates on the items. I know we all make mistakes but this is more than coincidental or mistakes. This information came directly from the credit file. I am still debating the issue of opting out, but I wanted to share this. My mom said that they received a RED ALERT as soon as my address was input into the CA computer.

Nik

#165 Rugbino

Rugbino

CB's John Stockton - Leading The Board In Assists

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:35 PM

I finally reached the holy grail of opt outs....

Posted Image

#166 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:04 PM

YOU DON'T OPT-OUT OF L/N WITH OUT HAVING CREDIT FRAUD

YOU ALSO DON'T DISPUTE ERRORS

#167 Rugbino

Rugbino

CB's John Stockton - Leading The Board In Assists

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:39 PM

And that means???

#168 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:03 PM

And that means???

JUST WHAT IT SAYS

CRA PRM's YOU CAN "OPT-OUT" IF YOU WISH

L/N YOU CAN'T (unless you have CREDIT FRAUD)

CRA YOU CAN DISPUTE ERRORS

L/N WHAT IS THERE IS 100% FACT AND THEY WON'T REMOVE ANYTHING EVEN IF YOU CAN PROVE IT TO BE FALSE

#169 BBQ123

BBQ123
  • Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:12 PM

I am not opted out... I'd like to receive and be able to review offers.

#170 blueman

blueman
  • Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:02 PM

If you file a change of address form with the US post office that new address is sold to hundreds of private entities so they can sell your name and address to make money and so all your junk mail will follow you.

I think if you file a temporary change of address it gets around this problem - not 100% sure but thats what I heard.

Blueman

#171 Ocean

Ocean
  • Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:05 AM

I think if you file a temporary change of address it gets around this problem - not 100% sure but thats what I heard.

Blueman

From my experiences it hasn't......the USPS loves to sell addy's

#172 RAMON

RAMON
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for the link, guys!!

I just opted out (coincidentaly, I had a talk about opting out during lunch but did not know where to go), and I'll be glad when those credit card offers stop flooding my mail box. My shredder will thank me too.

:clapping:

#173 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:11 PM

Thanks for the link, guys!!

I just opted out (coincidentaly, I had a talk about opting out during lunch but did not know where to go), and I'll be glad when those credit card offers stop flooding my mail box. My shredder will thank me too.

:angel:

I WOULD PAY TO GET SOME AND YOU ARE OPTING OUT???

PRM's ALSO HELP WITH "B"

#174 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:13 PM

Blueman

From my experiences it hasn't......the USPS loves to sell addy's

THEY HAVE MINE AND DON'T SELL IT!!!!!!!!!

(as far as I can tell)

"IF" they do...it is sure not enough...

Edited by GEORGE, 15 May 2006 - 10:14 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.