Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

OPT OUT!

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#126 thestudentisready

thestudentisready
  • Members
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:43 PM

the ONLY thing being opted in is good for is if you WANT CAs to be able to find you, or you're too lazy to search for offers yourself and it's THAT important to your self esteem that you get them in the mail...

hehehehe....

#127 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:38 PM

the ONLY thing being opted in is good for is if you WANT CAs to be able to find you, or you're too lazy to search for offers yourself and it's THAT important to your self esteem that you get them in the mail...

hehehehe....

THAT IS AMAZING THAT A CA WILL FIND ME!!!

TOO BAD I ONLY HAVE BOGUS CA's AFTER PEOPLE WHO USED MY PHONE NUMBER!!!!

(that I don't know)

I'LL STAY IN

#128 Divine

Divine
  • Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:02 AM

You can also opt out online by going to http://www.optoutprescreen.com (this link is the one they give out when you call 1-888-5optout)

Thank you for this because I always notice the inquiries on my report and I hate the pre-approved mail that forces me to shred because of ID protection.

First step to rebuilding and improving my credit down. Looking around now what next?

#129 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:16 AM

You can also opt out online by going to http://www.optoutprescreen.com (this link is the one they give out when you call 1-888-5optout)

Thank you for this because I always notice the inquiries on my report and I hate the pre-approved mail that forces me to shred because of ID protection.

First step to rebuilding and improving my credit down. Looking around now what next?

SEND THEM TO ME!!!

I DON'T GET ANY!!!

I WOULD PAY FOR OFFERS!!!

#130 Restart2000

Restart2000
  • Newbies
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:26 AM

I just got referred to this site, so this is my first post.

I tried those DMA opt out links for the mail form but they all come up "Not Found."

Also that Acxiom states in its privacy policy that it abides by the DMA opt out.

http://www.acxiom.co...ayID=18#choices

Acxiom utilizes both the Direct Marketing Association’s Mail, Telephone and E-mail Preference files as well as the state and Federal Trade Commission’s Do-Not-Call Registry in developing our marketing and directory products. If you are registered with these organizations, you may not need to also opt-out with Acxiom.

So why would you need/ want to opt out separately from Acxiom?

I'd also like to point out, since I've just read many a variation of this question in this thread, that nobody said opt outs STOP CAs from finding you. It gives them less oportunity to find a known good addy and less junk mail. Not to mention the security threat if one of those pre-approved offers winds up misdirected to the wrong addy.

Also keep in mind, as I'm now learning as my credit is finally improving, your creditors ALSO have marketing relationships. You will want to review your creditor's and financial institution's privacy opt out policy. Who would have thought we'd ever see the day when your bank was sending more junk mail offers than some mass mailers? :(

#131 breeze

breeze

Site Owners & FC XXXVIII <3

• Admin
  • 46,786 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 02:24 PM

We're not talking about junk mail here. We're talking about: you go to apply for a mortgage, and a collection account that is not yours, but someone's with the same name in another state, pops up on your credit report, because the collection agency knows you cannot close without paying it. Did you read the info about the credit bureau's products???

Apparently you work or worked in the credit industry - don't think we made this up, it's all over this board. They do it. It's extortion, but someone a week away from closing is not worried about extortion for $1,200 or $500 - they just want to close.

As far as current links to opt out, if these links are bad, look on the credit bureau's websites for current links. We will check and update these if needed. This is the first I've heard about the links being bad.

#132 breeze

breeze

• Admin
  • 46,786 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 02:48 PM

http://www.privacyri...infobrokers.htm

for the privacy freaks - a list of information providers, with links, info about their privacy practices, and contact info. Makes it easier to opt out anywhere possible.

#133 Restart2000

Restart2000
  • Newbies
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:05 PM

We're not talking about junk mail here. We're talking about: you go to apply for a mortgage, and a collection account that is not yours, but someone's with the same name in another state, pops up on your credit report, because the collection agency knows you cannot close without paying it. Did you read the info about the credit bureau's products???

Actually I didn't read about the products because I already have some vague idea of what they would be.

As far as false listings I have a wrong addy in another state on one of my CBRs that keeps returning. Same first & last name different middle. I did find out by accident that a social search of the 1st 5 digits of my SSN (it was a free search but they wanted money for the full search data) also pulls up that address. The bureau still won't even tell me the name of the credit reporter. :cry2:

I didn't think they were allowed to ignore such requests. What they do is remove it and then a few months later quietly it returns, so I guess technically it is not "ignoring" but something certainly is funny here.

As far as CAs reporting low balance accounts expecting the known wrong person to pay does sound like a problem. It also sounds like a possible law suit. I guess the ability to know when people are applying for loans and slap them with unjustified debts sounds like a good idea to some CAs but I wonder if this couldn't be considered a form of stalking?? Fraud at the least. I guess I could see how that would be a problem.

These are the links I was refering to:

Mail: http://www.dmaconsum...mailinglistdave
Phone: http://www.dmaconsum...fftelephonedave
Email: http://www.dmaconsum...form_emps.shtml

The 1st two come up not found. The 3rd does work.

Edited by Restart2000, 28 January 2006 - 07:14 PM.

#134 direred

direred
  • Bloggers
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:38 AM

Apparently you work or worked in the credit industry - don't think we made this up, it's all over this board. They do it. It's extortion, but someone a week away from closing is not worried about extortion for $1,200 or $500 - they just want to close.

Porfolio was convinced I'd worked for Sallie Mae. I thought that was hilarious.

#135 Kristyna

Kristyna
  • Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:09 PM

I opted out several months ago, so I was surprised when I found an offer in my mail for a home equity loan. It wasn't the actual letter that surprised me, but what it had on the back:

Prescreen & Opt-Out Notice: This "Prescreened offer of credit is based on information in your credit report indicating that you meet certain criteria. This offer is not guaranteed if you do not meet our criteria, including the requirement that you must be the owner of a residential real estate property......If you do not want to receive prescreened offers of credit from this and other companies, call the consumer reporting agencies, toll-free, at: Experian or Trans Union by calling 1-888-50OPTOUT. For Experian you may write to Experian Credit Marketing, PO Box 9169, Allen TX 75013. For Trans Union you may write to Trans Union LLC's Marketing Opt-Out, PO Box 97328, Jackson, MS 39288. For Data Quick you may write to Mail Preference Service Direct Marketing Association, PO Box 9008, Farmingdale, NY 11735-9008. You may remove your name from marketing lists prepared by Data Quick by calling, toll-free 1-888-382-1222.

Mail Preference Service Direct Marketing Association is associated with DMA.

#136 Restart2000

Restart2000
  • Newbies
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:25 PM

Porfolio was convinced I'd worked for Sallie Mae. I thought that was hilarious.

He/ She was right in my case. I did once. (not naming names :yes2: )

Trying to build my credit back up after "life happened" so I can find similar work again. But that's for another thread.

#137 breeze

breeze

• Admin
  • 46,786 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:50 AM

Companies who buy the lists often use them for years. So the offers yu receive months after opting out are usually based on an old mailing list.

I've fixed all the links I could find that were bad - if you peel back the URL and go to the main index page of thsoe sites, you can see that they just moved those pages. Typical, haha. Like they change their phone numbers and PO boxes all the time. :)

#138 breeze

breeze

• Admin
  • 46,786 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:16 AM

Actually I didn't read about the products because I already have some vague idea of what they would be.

Hardhead.

Hypothetical: Let's say, you run a collection agency which subscribes to TU's notification service. You have a file full of debts, with names and last known address and a little bit of other info. You can make a list of the names and submit it to TU, and TU will notify your company if any one with any of those names conducts any kind of activity that generates a ntoice to them. So John J johnson Jr applies for a car loan. Your company gets a notice of that activity. You immediately slap a collection on that credit report. After all, TU says it matches your parameters on the list you submitted when you purchased this particular product. Problem is, there are 733 John J Johnson Jr's in that state, and this is the wrong one. But the amount of the debt is only $115. Mr. Johnson gets turned down for standard financing, and is offered a rate of 18% because, otherwise, his credit is perfect. But this one collection suddenly drops his score. He has to have a car - his died, was wrecked, etc etc. he may call, be angry, etc. Your excellent collector convinces him that if he pays the $115 plus whatever fees blah blah blah, he'll be fine and can get his car. Vague promises that he cannot be held to. Mr. Johnson naively believes this is the easiest way to get the collction off his report, so he pays the debt he does not owe. He proceeds with his car shopping, and discovers that he paid someone else's bill to no avail (if the bill was really valid at all - who knows?) Eventually Mr Johnson gets a credit union to give him a 12% loan. He's relived, drives his new car home and wonders why somebody else's debt ended up on his credit report. But he's had problems, cause his name is the same as his dad's and lots of other people. And he WAS late on some bills, mmaybe he missed one. But he has the car, he's paid that bill, he should be OK. he moves on.

Maybe he keeps having problems and finds CB and starts to fight back. He sues and you know what their defense will be? "It was an honest mistake." Judge says "people make mistakes." That's that, unless Mr. Johnson wants to take a chance an dhire a lawyer or educate himself, set the evil collection companies up good and finally force them to stop.

He could have opted out to begin with. Then TU could not sell his name like that. he would not be on the lists the CA's can buy.

As far as false listings I have a wrong addy in another state on one of my CBRs that keeps returning. Same first & last name different middle. I did find out by accident that a social search of the 1st 5 digits of my SSN (it was a free search but they wanted money for the full search data) also pulls up that address. The bureau still won't even tell me the name of the credit reporter. :dance:

I didn't think they were allowed to ignore such requests. What they do is remove it and then a few months later quietly it returns, so I guess technically it is not "ignoring" but something certainly is funny here.

As far as CAs reporting low balance accounts expecting the known wrong person to pay does sound like a problem. It also sounds like a possible law suit. I guess the ability to know when people are applying for loans and slap them with unjustified debts sounds like a good idea to some CAs but I wonder if this couldn't be considered a form of stalking?? Fraud at the least. I guess I could see how that would be a problem.

Their defense would be that it was a mistake, so sorry. Not stalking, extortion. But people make "mistakes." The credit industry knows what they do. Don't be naive. The credit bureaus sell products - that's all they do. They don't give a poop unless you back them to a wall, and then, we have anecdotal evidence that their representatives will lie in court. You can take that information for whatever it's worth.

These are the links I was refering to:

Mail: http://www.dmaconsum...mailinglistdave
Phone: http://www.dmaconsum...fftelephonedave
Email: http://www.dmaconsum...form_emps.shtml

The 1st two come up not found. The 3rd does work.

#139 Restart2000

Restart2000
  • Newbies
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 02:20 PM

you can get those cards anyway usually....

if your FICO has dropped 150 points, be ready for rate jacking...

LoL Now that everything is past the debt enforcement period I could care less if they call. I can always send them a C&D letter. :blink:

I thought it was pretty funny that one OC has an account listed on a CBR as a possible skip. Besides the fact that I've been right here with the exact same number for well over a decade and that the address is verified by the CRA, I now have a new account with that OC so how could I be lost? ;)

I just didn't agree I owed the debt.

I guess they were just mad because I sent them a C&D and they had nobody to vent on. :)

#140 jocktheglide

jocktheglide
  • Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:41 PM

darn opting out hope I dont get caught by those CA/JDB when I close on my home....

#141 Rugbino

Rugbino

CB's John Stockton - Leading The Board In Assists

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:56 AM

ACXIOM

To Opt-Out of our marketing and directory products, contact us at optoutUS@acxiom.com or call 1-877-774-2094.

To obtain a free copy or inquire about any inaccuracies in any background screening report we may have about you, call 1-800-853-3228, option 3.

#142 BrandyLynn

BrandyLynn
  • Members
  • 870 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:19 PM

I dunno if it's already been posted in this thread, but in case it hasn't and someone needs the info:

to opt out with Blockbuster, email them at blockbuster@custhelp.com

#143 BrandyLynn

BrandyLynn
  • Members
  • 870 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:30 PM

As far as false listings I have a wrong addy in another state on one of my CBRs that keeps returning. Same first & last name different middle.

I used to get credit card offers for another girl named Mary* who lived at 622 That St in the same town as me, i guess because my name is Mary* and I also lived at house number 622, even though my house was on Other St. Obviously all * info has been changed. :dntknw: This is just another example of how a couple of insignificant similarities can lead to a LOT of damaging information being reported. I always had the courtesy to forward her offers on to her, but that's neither here nor there.

#144 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 11:47 PM

As far as false listings I have a wrong addy in another state on one of my CBRs that keeps returning. Same first & last name different middle.

I used to get credit card offers for another girl named Mary* who lived at 622 That St in the same town as me, i guess because my name is Mary* and I also lived at house number 622, even though my house was on Other St. Obviously all * info has been changed. :D This is just another example of how a couple of insignificant similarities can lead to a LOT of damaging information being reported. I always had the courtesy to forward her offers on to her, but that's neither here nor there.

OUR SUBDIVISION HAS MANY SIMULAR NUMBERS ON DIFFERENT STREETS

So I live at 4567 PARK STREET

Around the corner on the other street is 4567 SUNSET STREET

I did get their mail all the time and they got mine!!!

#145 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 11:48 PM

I dunno if it's already been posted in this thread, but in case it hasn't and someone needs the info:

to opt out with Blockbuster, email them at blockbuster@custhelp.com

WHY???

#146 Deaf CEO

Deaf CEO
  • Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:28 AM

Should one opt out Before or After getting a copy of their credit report?

I am guessing the five year would be cool to do because you are trying to fix your credit report and then when the five years are up you could opt back in.

Shoot it a little confusing about the opt out process because from what I am reading some of yall are saying that the big 3 evil axis would kill my scores.

Thanks!

#147 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:50 AM

Should one opt out Before or After getting a copy of their credit report?

I am guessing the five year would be cool to do because you are trying to fix your credit report and then when the five years are up you could opt back in.

Shoot it a little confusing about the opt out process because from what I am reading some of yall are saying that the big 3 evil axis would kill my scores.

Thanks!

WHY DO YOU WANT TO "OPT-OUT" IS THE FIRST QUESTION???

ARE YOU GOING FOR A MORTGAGE IN 6--12 MONTHS??? (or CA's after you)

"OPT-OUT" NOW

"IF" YOU "FEAR" MAIL THEN IT DOESN'T MATTER WHEN YOU "OPT-OUT"

Edited by GEORGE, 07 March 2006 - 10:52 AM.

#148 Deaf CEO

Deaf CEO
  • Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:55 AM

Took me some searching ....

And to answer your question mr. Homework supervisor......

CA's after you

YES THEY SURE BE AFTER ME..... :)

but like i said once i get the Validation letter outs and get the scores to a level i want (mid 700's ultimately the 800's mark) but is it possible to get triple a credit (isnt that like a perfect score?)

thanks for your help! :grin:

Edited by Deaf CEO, 07 March 2006 - 10:58 AM.

#149 roadrage

roadrage
  • Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:30 AM

By OPTING OUT, Does it:
1:  Prevent anyone, CA's mainly from knowing where you work?
2:  Will it keep you lying low when trying to refin. a car loan and prevent CA from seeing that you are refin????

Thanks,
Ocean

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes...unless they have an account of yours already...but you can fix that by deleting the employment information from your reports

How would you delete the employment information from your report? Just send the CRA's a dispute saying you no longer work at any of the companies listed? Would you have to tell them where you are working now? Would they try to verify your employment and refuse to take that information off of your report if they find out differently?

Thanks!

Edited by roadrage, 13 March 2006 - 12:32 AM.

#150 macuser

macuser
  • Members
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:50 AM

By OPTING OUT, Does it:
1: Prevent anyone, CA's mainly from knowing where you work?
2: Will it keep you lying low when trying to refin. a car loan and prevent CA from seeing that you are refin????

Thanks,
Ocean

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes...unless they have an account of yours already...but you can fix that by deleting the employment information from your reports

How would you delete the employment information from your report? Just send the CRA's a dispute saying you no longer work at any of the companies listed? Would you have to tell them where you are working now? Would they try to verify your employment and refuse to take that information off of your report if they find out differently?

Thanks!

just call them up and tell them to delete it. if they ask, say it's inaccurate. an easy delete. while you're on the phone with them, ask them to delete your phone number and spouse and all the addresses other than the current one. EQ will do it. TU will do it. EXP will try not to. They will delete all not tied to a TL and you will have to hassle them on the remaining old addresses until kingdom come. it is not necessary for your employer to be on there and they do not have to have that info. don't give it to them.

Edited by macuser, 13 March 2006 - 02:51 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.