Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

OPT OUT!

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#101 Alex

Alex
  • Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 08:17 PM

Being opted in always increases your risk of identity theft.

#102 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 08:24 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

CAN YOU PROVIDE PROOF FOR THAT STATEMENT???

#103 Ocean

Ocean
  • Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 10:32 AM

Ok, I read thru this sticky once before and didnt see any answers for my questions...Guess I should have asked back then..

These are perhaps 2 DUH questions...but heck someone else maybe might need answers to these as well..

By OPTING OUT, Does it:
1: Prevent anyone, CA's mainly from knowing where you work?
2: Will it keep you lying low when trying to refin. a car loan and prevent CA from seeing that you are refin????

Thanks,
Ocean

#104 lilac

lilac
  • Banned
  • 902 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:27 PM

Would it make sense to opt in to see if I get any pre-approved offers just to see how my credit is being viewed now? I have 2 unpaid collections but I've been at the same address for 13 years and both companies know my current address and phone number so not hiding anything.

So, would opting in be a good idea or would I just end up with lots of unwanted inquiries?

#105 pryan67

pryan67

Mikey, the Life cereal kid

• Mod Squad
  • 49,118 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:03 AM

Ok, I read thru this sticky once before and didnt see any answers for my questions...Guess I should have asked back then..

These are perhaps 2 DUH questions...but heck someone else maybe might need answers to these as well..

By OPTING OUT, Does it:
1:  Prevent anyone, CA's mainly from knowing where you work?
2:  Will it keep you lying low when trying to refin. a car loan and prevent CA from seeing that you are refin????

Thanks,
Ocean

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes...unless they have an account of yours already...but you can fix that by deleting the employment information from your reports

yes...it will prevent the CRAs from selling their lists of people refinancing to CAs

#106 pryan67

pryan67

• Mod Squad
  • 49,118 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:04 AM

Would it make sense to opt in to see if I get any pre-approved offers just to see how my credit is being viewed now?  I have 2 unpaid collections but I've been at the same address for 13 years and both companies know my current address and phone number so not hiding anything.

So, would opting in be a good idea or would I just end up with lots of unwanted inquiries?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope...doesn't make sense in my book...why shouldn't YOU choose which cards to get, or who sees your reports?

#107 pryan67

pryan67

• Mod Squad
  • 49,118 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:05 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

CAN YOU PROVIDE PROOF FOR THAT STATEMENT???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The way I'd look at that statement is that the more people with your personal information, the higher the risk of someone using it illegally

#108 lilac

lilac
  • Banned
  • 902 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:42 PM

Would it make sense to opt in to see if I get any pre-approved offers just to see how my credit is being viewed now?  I have 2 unpaid collections but I've been at the same address for 13 years and both companies know my current address and phone number so not hiding anything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope...doesn't make sense in my book...why shouldn't YOU choose which cards to get, or who sees your reports?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But if I apply for a CC, that will mean a hard pull whereas a promotional offer would only be a soft pull, right?

#109 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:57 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But if I apply for a CC, that will mean a hard pull whereas a promotional offer would only be a soft pull, right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YOU DON'T GET NEW ACCOUNTS WITH PRM's (99%+)--RARE EXCEPTIONS

THEY STILL "COST" A HARD

#110 lilac

lilac
  • Banned
  • 902 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:43 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YOU DON'T GET NEW ACCOUNTS WITH PRM's (99%+)--RARE EXCEPTIONS

THEY STILL "COST" A HARD

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I posted this in another thread. This was your answer. So which is it? I'm really confused now.

QUOTE(lilac59949 @ Dec 6 2005, 09:00 PM)
I opted out a few months ago. I'm wondering if it would make sense to opt in again just to see if I get any good offers since I've made a little progress cleaning things up.

PRM's help with "B"

Offers that may be better than you can get with a "COLD CALL APPLICATION"

LESS QUESTIONS!!!

Are you saying that a soft pull is used to decide if they'll make me an offer, but if I take them up on it they'll do a hard?

#111 MarvBear

MarvBear

Administrator

• Admin
  • 46,957 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:50 PM

Promotional inquiries are done with preselected criteria.

Provided you, as a consumer, meet the preselected criteria from a prospective lender they may mail you a promotional offer. This promotional offer may be a better offer than would otherwise be available to a normal consumer who made a direct application to this lender.

Since a Promotional Inquiry is not a full file disclosure, should you indicate acceptance of the promotional offer either in writing, telephonically, or via electronic means, undoubtedly it will result in a hard inquiry on your credit file.

#112 ann9787

ann9787
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:44 AM

Would there be any benefit to opting out if you are going through a chapter 7????

#113 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 67,583 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:17 AM

Would there be any benefit to opting out if you are going through a chapter 7????

as long as all of your debts are being discharged, no IMHO.

opting out is only for those who are being hunted by someone or who have junkmailphobia.

#114 bassmanbrad

bassmanbrad
  • Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 12:17 PM

So, by opting out, I am depriving myself of an offer that I might not be able to get otherwise?

#115 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 67,583 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 12:21 PM

So, by opting out, I am depriving myself of an offer that I might not be able to get otherwise?

probably.

#116 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 07:23 PM

YES...

#117 happyfamily

happyfamily
  • Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 03:25 PM

But, if you want to get a mortgage soon, you should always opt-out, right?

(I'm trying to learn!)

#118 Alex

Alex
  • Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 04:25 PM

(I'm trying to learn!)

It's a personal choice. Opting out reduces your risk of identity theft. Opting in will fill your mail box with credit card offers if you have great credit.

Personally, with the risk of identity theft these days, I recommend that everybody opt out.

#119 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:00 PM

(I'm trying to learn!)

It's a personal choice. Opting out reduces your risk of identity theft. Opting in will fill your mail box with credit card offers if you have great credit.

Personally, with the risk of identity theft these days, I recommend that everybody opt out.

I WISH MY MAILBOX WAS FULL!!!

I WOULD PAY FOR IT TO BE FULL OF
"PRE-APPROVED" TYPE CREDIT CARD OFFERS!!!!!!!

#120 Miro

Miro
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:26 PM

I am opted in and likely to stay that way through the mortgage process.

As I understand it, there are 2 decent reasons to opt out:

1) it helps in the part of the credit repair process where you're getting rid of the dings/baddies because it makes it more difficult for OC/CA/CRA to confirm information.

2) it makes it tougher for creditors to locate you, an especially important consideration when getting a mortgage because OC/CA can exercise more leverage to get you to pay by threatening to ding credit.

Since I am finished with the "remove the bad" part of the repair process, #1 doesn't matter any more.
Since I am not avoiding creditors (fingers crossed that I haven't forgotten someone) #2 doesn't apply.

other reasons to opt out that do not impress me much:

1) ID theft. i dunno, maybe, but it isn't obvious to me how. the only soft/promo inqs I have seen are legit credit issuers and CAs. just my sense is that this seems to me a tiny vector for ID theft in comparison to dumpster divers/mail thieves/online phishing/phone scams.

2) too much junk mail. fair enough, but like GEORGE, I like being wooed by credit offers. I guess a mailbox of offers increases the chance of ID theft because of mail theft/dumpster divers but i now have a mailbox lock (a good idea in any case) and i shred all mail (also a good idea anyway).

which leaves two good reasons for me to stay opted in.

1) i am at the part of the credit repair process that I need to open TL and increase CL without taking on too many hard inqs. yeah, the pre-approved offers aren't sure things but they seem to me to be better bets than cold-call apps. true, researching CB and creditpulls probably eliminates much of the difference, because it gives you an idea of who is likely to approve, but still.

2) the pre-approved offers occasionally contain sweeteners/perks/incentives that aren't obviously available otherwise. For example, I got a pre-screen for Chase/United a couple weeks back that offered 20k miles after first purchase and no fee the first year. The online versions through Chase/United only offered 15k miles and no fee waiver. This isn't that much in the big picture but small benefits outweigh tiny costs.

my apologies for the length and of course ymmv.

Miro

#121 Rugbino

Rugbino

CB's John Stockton - Leading The Board In Assists

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:45 PM

What about Lexis Nexis?

#122 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:51 PM

What about Lexis Nexis?

What about it???

#123 Rugbino

Rugbino

CB's John Stockton - Leading The Board In Assists

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:05 PM

What about Lexis Nexis?

What about it???

Is it necessary to opt out from them as well?

#124 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:17 PM

What about Lexis Nexis?

What about it???

Is it necessary to opt out from them as well?

"IF" YOU CAN...GO FOR IT!!!

MANY HAVE FAILED!!!

#125 Special K

Special K
  • Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:09 AM

Posted Jan 6 2006, 04:45 PM
What about Lexis Nexis?

http://www.privacyri...infobrokers.htm

Lexis Nexis
www.lexisnexis.com
www.lexisnexis.com/terms/
privacy/ data/print_template.asp
www.lexisnexis.com/terms/
privacy/ data/remove.asp

LexisNexis
Name Removal
P.O. Box 933
Dayton, Ohio

Update: 5/12/05
Policy now states opt out only for law enforcement, public officials, identity theft victims, those at risk for harm.

First and last name,
address, city, state,
zip code, signature, copy of police report/other documentation.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.