Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

keurig

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 pryan67

pryan67

Mikey, the Life cereal kid

• Mod Squad
  • 49,118 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

Thinking about one for DW for Mother's Day...

what are the real differences in the models? Anything I need to know?

Thinking of these two:

http://www.amazon.co...36339714&sr=8-5

http://www.amazon.co...36339714&sr=8-4

Is there a reason to get the more expensive one?

#2 snowpuppy

snowpuppy
  • Members
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

The Platinum models are the newer models.

The differences are usually the amount of water the resevoir holds and the size of the cup you can place underneath the spout on the warming plate. If she's a cup in the morning type of girl, either will probably do. If she drinks more than 1 cup or uses a 12-16 oz mug as her fave, then I'd get the larger one.

You can get K-cups in coffee, flavored coffees, teas and hot cocoas. They can get pricey so you might want to look at a model where you can use real ground coffee in place of the K-cup if you run out. I'm sure other females here know what the feature I'm talking about. :D

I don't own one. I'm a pot in the morning before I go to work kinda girl. :lol:

#3 Bad Doctor Frost

Bad Doctor Frost

Audi-mobile guy

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

I have the B70 Platinum. Love it. I'm on my 2nd one, however, because the first one had a faulty heating element. I love how I can program it to make my morning coffee while I'm in the shower so when I get out, it's ready and waiting for me.

Also...Sears has the B60 on sale this week for $149.99 and, if I saw the ad right, you get a $30 Sears card along with it...so you can get something for yourself as well.

Edited by Bad Doctor Frost, 06 May 2012 - 07:34 PM.

#4 dawniedawn67

dawniedawn67
  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

I actually have a Mr Coffee "Powered by Keurig", which does the exact same thing but only cost about $80.

A great website to visit is Big Cat Coffees, where you can get a box of K-Cups and choose different flavors in one box. It's worked out great for us because DH is not a coffee drinker, but he gets the K-Cups for Apple Cider and Southern Sweet Iced Tea.

Your wife will love it!

#5 Tigz

Tigz
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

Why am I the only person that doesn't like these things?

#6 Islandgal

Islandgal

Island Dreamer

• Members
  • 6,506 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

You are not..Got the B70 Plat a while back as a gift...used it about a total of 4 times... :glare: Me no likey...

#7 Bad Doctor Frost

Bad Doctor Frost

Audi-mobile guy

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:30 PM

Oh you two are crazy. I love mine. My travel mug can hold two mugs worth, so I mix two K-cups and have the perfect blend of highly-caffeinated wake-up juice every morning.

#8 pryan67

pryan67

• Mod Squad
  • 49,118 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:54 AM

I have the B70 Platinum. Love it. I'm on my 2nd one, however, because the first one had a faulty heating element. I love how I can program it to make my morning coffee while I'm in the shower so when I get out, it's ready and waiting for me.

Also...Sears has the B60 on sale this week for $149.99 and, if I saw the ad right, you get a $30 Sears card along with it...so you can get something for yourself as well.

I saw that...Target and I think Penny's has the same sort of thing going on...

I actually have a Mr Coffee "Powered by Keurig", which does the exact same thing but only cost about $80.

A great website to visit is Big Cat Coffees, where you can get a box of K-Cups and choose different flavors in one box. It's worked out great for us because DH is not a coffee drinker, but he gets the K-Cups for Apple Cider and Southern Sweet Iced Tea.

Your wife will love it!

Will that one make more than an 8 ounce cup? She'll probably use a travel cup...or at least a bigger mug..

You are not..Got the B70 Plat a while back as a gift...used it about a total of 4 times... :glare: Me no likey...

wanna sell it? :)

Oh you two are crazy. I love mine. My travel mug can hold two mugs worth, so I mix two K-cups and have the perfect blend of highly-caffeinated wake-up juice every morning.

how does that work? You have to run it twice, right?

#9 dawniedawn67

dawniedawn67
  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:27 AM

Your wife will love it!

Will that one make more than an 8 ounce cup? She'll probably use a travel cup...or at least a bigger mug..

No, mine is a one-cup-at-a-time machine. :)

#10 Chris in OK

Chris in OK
  • Mod Squad
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:49 AM

I have the Special Edition one, with the bigger cups. Love it, wouldn't ever go back to a regular coffee pot again. I do use regular old coffee grounds though, the cups get way too expensive. I think mine was $119 and has three different cup sizes to few, 60oz reservoir etc....

#11 cljohnr

cljohnr
  • Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:01 AM

If you have a Costco membership, check there before ordering online. When I bought one for my wife, for less than the standalone unit's online price, they had the top end model plus 4-5 dozen K-Cups and the filter to use your own grinds.

#12 Pam

Pam

Site Owner

• Admin
  • 12,083 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

If you have a Costco membership, check there before ordering online. When I bought one for my wife, for less than the standalone unit's online price, they had the top end model plus 4-5 dozen K-Cups and the filter to use your own grinds.

And places like HSN and QVC. I got my Platinum Plus on massive sale, it came with a bunch of k-cups, and the "my k-cup" so you can use your own coffee.

What I've found is that whether people love it or hate it absolutely has everything to do with the coffee that is used in it. DH hates the Green Mountain coffee but enjoyed the Caribou Mahogany blend, and thought the Timothy's Morning Blend was "okay". I don't drink coffee anymore on a daily basis, but I got Café Escapes® Chai Latté and think it's pretty good.

#13 gottaluvya

gottaluvya
  • Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:47 AM

we have the B70. Hubby is a coffee drinker, but was the only one. He felt that he was wasting pots of coffee, and did not particularly like reheating old coffee so as not to waste. So the single cup thing is good. Then my kids discovered the hot chocolate...and cafe mocha (which i got for ME to try, and liked it)...and chai latte (which again, was for ME but...yeah...lol)...and yeah, now they use it too. I can make a quick cup of iced tea as well, so we are actually getting more use out of it than I had anticipated. Got it at Costco and it came with a filter so you can use other ground coffee that may not come in Kcups plus it came with several boxes of Kcups. Better deal than anywhere else out there. My brother would like one...maybe I will have to get him one someday lol.

#14 Tigz

Tigz
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

I don't like how the first cup is too strong and the second (if you use the same k-cup) is too weak....perhaps doing them one right after the other and combining might work.

My other issues are:
1. the shear amount of environmental waste created
2. extra electricity used by brewing 1 cup at a time
3. It is a fad/trend/whatever you want to call it and will have run its course in another year or two....then people will be stuck with $150 paperweights.

#15 Snork Maiden

Snork Maiden

Mouthy Russian

• Members
  • 838 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

I just use a teakettle.. but I like that blue light display.

You should totally buy IG's off her! CB swap. Everyone wins.

#16 Pam

Pam

Site Owner

• Admin
  • 12,083 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

I don't like how the first cup is too strong and the second (if you use the same k-cup) is too weak....perhaps doing them one right after the other and combining might work.

I totally have not experienced this. But if the first cup is too strong, then perhaps the blend you're buying is too bold for your taste?

I do see where people buy a bolder blend than they normally like so they can do a larger cup size, followed by a 2nd cup size in their travel mug (using the same k-cup), resulting in a weaker flavor in a larger cup. Mine dispenses at travel mug size, though, so it never occurred to me.

#17 pryan67

pryan67

• Mod Squad
  • 49,118 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:51 PM

hmmm...159.99

http://www.costco.co...y=1&topnav=&s=1

not bad...Amazon had the same one sans the k-cups for 169.99

now to get a costco membership :)

and cash so DW doesn't suspect it if she checks the accounts...

#18 Snork Maiden

Snork Maiden

Mouthy Russian

• Members
  • 838 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

hmmm...159.99

Won't that jack the price of the coffee maker?? Find someone with a membership!

#19 Krish

Krish
  • Members
  • 3,770 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:43 PM

Here is another deal I found, from target...

Keurig from Target

#20 pryan67

pryan67

• Mod Squad
  • 49,118 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:25 AM

hmmm...159.99

Won't that jack the price of the coffee maker?? Find someone with a membership!

True...but I've been looking for an excuse to get a costco membership...

I think I'll borrow someone's card though...

#21 TeeSharice

TeeSharice

ModSquad

• Mod Squad
  • 20,386 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

you'd give the wife a used coffee maker for Mother's Day?

#22 pryan67

pryan67

• Mod Squad
  • 49,118 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

NO!!!! Of course not...

but one that's been previously tested to ensure that she gets one of only high quality...that's a different story :)

#23 Snork Maiden

Snork Maiden

Mouthy Russian

• Members
  • 838 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

Don't get all uppity, knowing Pryan he'd be saving the extra money for another coach purse for her. To bring the total to 800...

#24 pryan67

pryan67

• Mod Squad
  • 49,118 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

Don't get all uppity, knowing Pryan he'd be saving the extra money for another coach purse for her. To bring the total to 800...

hehehe...

#25 Doodah

Doodah
  • Members
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

Costco membership is worth $50 IMO.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.