Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

International Employer problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 violet100

violet100
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:36 PM

I am in the USA and my employer is international. My employer does not have US subsidary, or a US payroll, and does not 1099 me. I pay my taxes quarterly. I am shopping for an FHA loan, but banks are telling me "no" due to my employment situation. The last one I spoke to said my situation does not"fit into a bucket, and therefore, I will likely not qualify"

My employer is willing to do anything necessary to help me get apporved - I think what they mean by that, is that they will write letters stating that I am a long term employee, or something like that. The problem is that I dont know what to ask them for. One of the banks I spoke to told me to get on their payroll and a get a contract to guarantee my employment. Im sure they would do that for me, but it doesnt make sense to me why I would get on an international payroll and pay taxes in that country and then I would assume I would also be responsible for my US taxes.

Does anyone know what I should do? Are there broker/banks who work with situations that "do not fit into the bucket"? The 3 banks I spoke to were all very vague with me; I think its because they have worked with someone in my situation and they do not know what to tell me. It unfortunate because my job is very secure, I do not fear going to work and being laid off like I did when I was on a payroll. I just dont know how to prove it. Is it seriously hopeless?

#2 snowpuppy

snowpuppy
  • Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

How many years of American tax returns do you have?

#3 jop3

jop3
  • Members
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:13 AM

+1 to snowpuppy's question. If you have filed taxes on this job for at least 2 years, you should qualify as a self employed borrower. You said you are paying taxes, so you should be able to get this done at the 2 year mark.

#4 violet100

violet100
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

+1 to snowpuppy's question. If you have filed taxes on this job for at least 2 years, you should qualify as a self employed borrower. You said you are paying taxes, so you should be able to get this done at the 2 year mark.

Thanks for the replies. I have only 11 months of taxes filed for this position. I started in Feb 2011.

I found a bank willing to try w/o me having to go on the international payroll. It has something to do with my last job being very similar. I dont understand it, but we will see.

#5 jop3

jop3
  • Members
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:58 AM

Ah, that's the problem then, they want you to have 2 years on this job. You'll find that requirement most places. Good luck!

#6 snowpuppy

snowpuppy
  • Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for the replies. I have only 11 months of taxes filed for this position. I started in Feb 2011.

I found a bank willing to try w/o me having to go on the international payroll. It has something to do with my last job being very similar. I dont understand it, but we will see.

Then you have no US tax returns filed. You only have estimated tax payments.

#7 violet100

violet100
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:16 PM

Then you have no US tax returns filed. You only have estimated tax payments.

Well, I filed US taxes for 2011 which included 11 months of 2011 (Feb - Dec) at this position with the international employer. And I have made 1 estimated tax payment for 2012 (In April).

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.