Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Deciding on Bankrutpcy or Debt Settlement

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 freedomkim

freedomkim
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

I am looking for support/advice for my given financial situation and having a hard time in making the next step to take:

I am 30,000 in credit card debt

I currently make $40,000 and just covering my expenses not including the credit card debt

I stopped paying the credit card debt approximately 1 year and 8 months. Most of my credit cards are charged off.

No savings or retirement

No assets, I rent an apt.

Options are to file bankruptcty and start with a clean slate and rebuild my credit or settle the debt. I will have to get addiitonal part time job to settle the debt and will put a plan to pay off in 2 yrs and settle the debt. Bottom line what is the best to rebuild your credit? It seems my settlement will stay on for 7 years vs 10 yrs in bankruptcy. Does debt settlement look better on a credit report than a bankruptcy.

Thank you

Kim

#2 CoachT

CoachT
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

Kim, let me make sure I understand. You have $30K in credit card debt that you haven't paid on in nearly 2 years, and other debts that have been charged off? Why do you need to do anything (is the card company now coming after you)? You are just a little over 5 years from having that debt age off your credit report. If you send them $1 today, it starts the 7 year clock over.

It also sounds like you are probably judgment proof (unless you live in a garnishment state). Give us a little more info and I will try to offer some advice.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.