Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Requesting Replacement Cards

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wonton

Wonton
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:48 AM

So I know a replacement card is provided as a free service from most credit card issuers, but will requesting a replacement card have any impact on how the issuer views you?

Just curious because I know producing a replacement card costs the issuer money. Would issuers potentially see you as a customer that is irresponsible and/or one that is costing them extra $$$?

The reason I ask is because I have a few cards that are very worn from use. They all swipe fine, so I am just curious whether it's best to just wait until they are actually damaged or expired, or if the issuers could care less about providing you with a replacement.

And yes you can call me pretentious for wanting shiny new cards ; ).

#2 markca

markca

Bump Influence III

• Members
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:50 AM

They WANT you to have their card so they are more than happy to offer a replacement. If you don't have their card then you can't charge anything. The potential profit on interest and fees is outweighed by the cost of replacing the card.

Besides, between the cost of producing the card and mailing it, it can't be more than a couple bucks total.

Edited by markca, 29 April 2012 - 12:52 AM.

#3 Wonton

Wonton
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:58 AM

They WANT you to have their card so they are more than happy to offer a replacement. If you don't have their card then you can't charge anything. The potential profit on interest and fees is outweighed by the cost of replacing the card.

Besides, between the cost of producing the card and mailing it, it can't be more than a couple bucks total.

Hah I almost wish I could just pay the issuer a couple bucks so I don't feel guilty about requesting a replacement on a card that works fine. At the end of the day, if everyone were to start requesting replacements whenever they wanted a shiny new card I could see issuers start charging for them. Maybe I am just worrying too much? =p

One other quick question, will my account number change if I request a replacement? Or is that only if I state that the card was stolen/lost?

#4 markca

markca

Bump Influence III

• Members
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:12 AM

Hah I almost wish I could just pay the issuer a couple bucks so I don't feel guilty about requesting a replacement on a card that works fine. At the end of the day, if everyone were to start requesting replacements whenever they wanted a shiny new card I could see issuers start charging for them. Maybe I am just worrying too much? =p

One other quick question, will my account number change if I request a replacement? Or is that only if I state that the card was stolen/lost?

If it's just a replacement because your old one was worn the number should be the same. If the card was stolen, I would expect them to assign you a new account number.

#5 Wonton

Wonton
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:13 AM

If it's just a replacement because your old one was worn the number should be the same. If the card was stolen, I would expect them to assign you a new account number.

Thanks Markca!

#6 donkeyshark

donkeyshark
  • Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:53 AM

It won't affect anything. Just go for the new one. You can't be their only customer with OCD :)

#7 Gaby10

Gaby10

The Anti-Suze

• Members
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

Nah, they don't mind. Look at Discover... they encourage you to order new cards with new designs. I know people with a veritable deck of Discover cards. Your occasional request for a new card really won't make a dent, really. Posted Image

#8 rslifkin

rslifkin

Joseph C unchained

• CB JAIL
  • 5,106 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

1. The potential profit on interest and fees is outweighed by the cost of replacing the card.

2. Besides, between the cost of producing the card and mailing it, it can't be more than a couple bucks total.

1. FTW! :yes2:

2. And the cost of the CSR on the phone.. IF one was to perform this calculation, it would ultimately add up to pennies in the grand scheme, maybe a buck, MAYBE. The business model is not suffering from reissuing cards. See #1.. FTW!

It won't affect anything. Just go for the new one. You can't be their only customer with OCD :)

:o then :ph34r: then :rofl::rofl: THIS IS TRUE!!! :lol:

LOL. Thanks donkeyshark :) @ OP.. Yeah, they reissue cards without hesitation. Especially in lost or stolen situations. I had the unfortunate privilege on losing my wallet last year (and by losing, I mean, somebody took it while I was asleep.. It seemed like a good idea at the time.. anyways.) I fully recovered and replaced EVERYTHING IN the wallet, including the cash. :mellow: Now, Ill go to the Social Security Card office tomorrow to square away that one thing that should have never been in there and I still lost, which is said SS card.. but, them issuing a card.. is no big deal.

Im more interested in the impact the "CARD REPORTED LOST OR STOLEN" notation has on your credit reports. Anyone? Does that indicate irresponsibility to a lender, if they see that your card was lost (hmmm) or stolen (illegal actions of another... why should you be held... responsible?)

#9 NorCalR1

NorCalR1
  • Members
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

Believe me, card issuers are all too happy to send replacement cards to you, if you keep using their cards. It does absolutely nothing positive or negative with your relationship with them.

Edited by NorCalR1, 29 April 2012 - 12:25 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.