Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Balloon financing?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Andain

Andain
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

I'm looking to get a used vehicle, a truck, as it would be handy for me to have for personal and job use. Since I currently commute, the gas mileage would be a killer. Offsetting the price of gas with a low payment would work great. My plan is for low payments for 1 year until I move (possibly sooner) much closer to work. After that, the money saved in gas will go towards making much larger payments and potentially eliminating the balloon payment altogether. Even if there's some payment left, I could easily pay cash to pay it off by then. I figure a 60 month term would be most ideal for me and a finance company.

My concern is finding a lender. My credit is in the dumps (610 or so) after a student loan fiasco and a couple credit charge-off's 4 years ago after losing my job. Financially, my future prospects look very good and currently things are stable. I'm pretty sure I can get approved for standard financing. I have some equity in my current leased vehicle, about $1500. The bad thing is that I will be way over my mileage when it comes time to turn it in, so you can see why I would like to get out of it, especially while its value is high. Should I attempt dealer financing or is there someplace I could apply beforehand?

I'm estimating an OTD price of around $22-23K, no down payment, and would like payments not to exceed $250 for the first year. Is this doable or even smart?

Thank you!

#2 MarvBear

MarvBear

Velvet Hammer

• Admin
  • 47,693 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

Welcome to CreditBoards! We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free
    to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section.
    Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part! It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the bottom of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, breeze
CB Mods: CargoJon, Chris in OK, cotterpin, CramItCCCAs, Fallon, MarvBear, CtSoxFan, pryan67, psp, Stryker, TrevorHere
Forum Leads: brazen, Brian B The Loan Professor, cedski, DallasLoanGuy, hoapres, ICANHASMUNY?, Lighthouse84, Linx04, Neen, TeeSharice

Come get your new keys!

HAPPY Posted Image MOTORING

#3 MarvBear

MarvBear

Velvet Hammer

• Admin
  • 47,693 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

$22-23K, no down payment, and would like payments not to exceed $250 for the first year.

I don't know how to make that math work.

If you were to try and do a 60 month balloon note, (which I would strongly discourage) then you would have 59 Equal payments of $xxx.xx, and the final balloon of $xx,xxx.xx. And it's not uncommon for balloon contracts to have mileage restrictions, very similar to leases, if the consumer does not exercise the balloon option. (if the contract is written that way).

#4 mk_378

mk_378
  • Members
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

Bad idea. The bottom line is when you see you can't afford the payments and gas you're buying too much truck. A 60 month balloon loan on anything used is big negative equity and also a significant chance the vehicle won't outlast the payments.

#5 road2freedom

road2freedom

Bump Influence XXXII

• Members
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

No experience with balloon loans myself, but I was under the impression that they are a bit harder to obtain, especially if you have spotty credit, since the lender is assuming most of the risk until the final payment is made.

#6 Andain

Andain
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

I was under the impression that balloon financing, while similar to a lease, (1) allows for ownership and is (2) easier to finance being that you pay mainly interest, which is what banks want--low payments are easy to make. I am trying to figure out a financing plan that will not allow me to ever be upside down, given the historical value of the vehicle. It's not a "plain jane" truck; it also helps that it's in mint condition with low miles.

I can certainly understand the logic you all have given. It was my initial impression as well. Some sources have countered that logic with solid reasoning. I'm trying to get some sound evidence either way. I tend to make calculated decisions concerning my purchases, but this type of financing is troublesome. The whole point of balloon financing is, imo, to provide financing similar to a lease, but without the restrictions and extra fees a lease entails. In other words, I'll pay the extra sales tax, but I won't have to pay the annual property tax; I'll take ownership, but without mileage restrictions and the term fees and so on and so forth. I've seen many variants, usually when dealing with credit unions. They allow you to return the vehicle at the time the final payment is due. I'm not so sure I want to in this case. Also, there are some possibilities for tax deductions, which would be impossible with a lease.

From what I currently understand, there's a fine line between balloon financing and leasing. In this particular case, I would prefer ownership over leasing. Leasing, imo, is just more expensive in the long run with too many strings attached. As previously mentioned, I currently have a lease. I'm fortunate that my residual will be far lower than auction price (if I decide to purchase then trade), but aside from that, I'm not really happy with the terms.

The key here is my willingness to step up the payments in the future. I know what I'm buying and I feel that it's worth it, so I'm committed to that. The flip side on the financial end is that final payment that has to be made. I suppose I would be in the same situation as anyone else...the promise to make it.

#7 road2freedom

road2freedom

Bump Influence XXXII

• Members
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

If you look at an amortization table for traditional financing, the lender is getting a majority of their interest in the beginning of the loan as well, however you are also paying down the principle at a faster rate, making their liability decrease faster with each payment. I could be totally wrong in my assumption - hopefully Marv or someone else has some more direct experience to share.

#8 gamecockcountry

gamecockcountry
  • Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

I was under the impression that balloon financing, while similar to a lease, (1) allows for ownership and is (2) easier to finance being that you pay mainly interest, which is what banks want--low payments are easy to make. I am trying to figure out a financing plan that will not allow me to ever be upside down, given the historical value of the vehicle. It's not a "plain jane" truck; it also helps that it's in mint condition with low miles.

I believe about the only way to accomplish that sentence right there is to buy with cash or have a nice down payment and a low interest rate and a short term. With balloon financing you will probably be upside down until you pay off the balloon payment.

I did the balloon payment financing for my first vehicle. That was a mistake. Yes, I had low payments and didn't put anything down but after almost 5 years of making payments I still owed a large chunk of money and the car wasn't worth the balloon payment.

Edited by gamecockcountry, 27 April 2012 - 12:27 PM.

#9 MarvBear

MarvBear

Velvet Hammer

• Admin
  • 47,693 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

I believe about the only way to accomplish that sentence right there is to buy with cash or have a nice down payment and a low interest rate and a short term. With balloon financing you will probably be upside down until you pay off the balloon payment.

I did the balloon payment financing for my first vehicle. That was a mistake. Yes, I had low payments and didn't put anything down but after almost 5 years of making payments I still owed a large chunk of money and the car wasn't worth the balloon payment.

+1

a future appointment in time to deal with negative equity whether it's a lease or a balloon contract.

#10 spotlessbureau

spotlessbureau
  • Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

I'm shocked they still offer balloons. One of my friends who works at Honda did one on a Ridgeline. A huge mistake. Find a truck you can afford without doing the balloon. You never mentioned what type of truck you were considering, but I would suggest the Toyota Tacoma since you say you pack on the miles. It has the best resale value of any truck. It comes in 4 or 6 cylinder in all cabs. Good luck.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.