Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

can a daughter continue to get social security after she's 18?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 luckydriver

luckydriver
  • Members
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

my friend has been on SS disability for years. she has an adopted daughter and because of that, she got an additional 400 a month as long as the kid didnt turn 18 or she was still in school. Also after she turned 18 my friend found out this money goes to her kids bank account, that my friend is not allowed to have it anymore..makes no sense since until recently the kid was supported by the parents...why would a child continue to get SSD when she's not disabled and according to SSA this has nothing to do with foster/adopted etc.

So this June she's finishing high school (or maybe dropping out before then is what it looks like) and so the 400 would stop altogether..so we thought. not even my friend understands why the kid continues to get "my friends" social security 'extra' 400 but the kid went and moved out and went rebel and we believe she's being milked by her bfs parents for money since she's living with them. the kid has stated she now gets 1200 a month. also she's not allowed to talk to her parents or even her old friends..sounds like she' a virtual prisoner and as much as she hated her dads rules, she's now under another families thumb but is too stupid to see it and how much worse it is. (yes she is a tad MR officially, which makes it worse..very easily swayed at some things)

so has anyone ever heard of a kid not only getting money after she turns 18 (the only reason she's getting this money is her moms SSD) ? and why would she get even more if she moved away from her mom? of course the 1200 just could be a lie but the kid says she has to pay rent to the new family..something she never did at home.

#2 Nemeweh

Nemeweh

Official CB Party Planner

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

It doesn't sound right to me either. The only thing I can think of (maybe - and I am by far no expert, quite the opposite) is that maybe because The Girl-Child is MR, that the parents of the BF went and got her to apply for her own disability. Is that possible?

All I can add is what I would do if this were my child, and it involves a bit of arson, possibly some assault, and a de-programming center such as http://wellspringretreat.org/

:ph34r:

#3 snowpuppy

snowpuppy
  • Members
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

Child benefits usually stop at age 18. She will get a termination letter from the agency. Benefits may be extended if the child goes onto college, until age 22 but this doesn't sound like a possibility. If she has mental impairments she may file a claim by herself for her own benefits.

The child is entitled to receive her own check the month before her 18th birthday or the agency may determine that the child is living independently (even with another family who is charging her rent).

The $1200 is no where in the scope of reality as you can only draw a portion of the parent's eligibility and there is a 'household max' eligibility. So even if everyone is the HH is disabled and you live like the Walton's, there's a household max that's allowed.

$400 is already a LOT for a dependent child.

Stories like this are the reason a lot of people run to file a claim, only to find out they're not eligible or how little they can get.

#4 luckydriver

luckydriver
  • Members
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

It doesn't sound right to me either. The only thing I can think of (maybe - and I am by far no expert, quite the opposite) is that maybe because The Girl-Child is MR, that the parents of the BF went and got her to apply for her own disability. Is that possible?

All I can add is what I would do if this were my child, and it involves a bit of arson, possibly some assault, and a de-programming center such as http://wellspringretreat.org/

i'm sure if it meant more money the bf parents would get her on something..they are scum...but i know first hand how long it takes to get proclaimed disabled and it's not less than a year lol..my ex took over 1.5 years with her hearing then you just get the big lump to make up for it

#5 luckydriver

luckydriver
  • Members
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

Child benefits usually stop at age 18. She will get a termination letter from the agency. Benefits may be extended if the child goes onto college, until age 22 but this doesn't sound like a possibility. If she has mental impairments she may file a claim by herself for her own benefits.

The child is entitled to receive her own check the month before her 18th birthday or the agency may determine that the child is living independently (even with another family who is charging her rent).

The $1200 is no where in the scope of reality as you can only draw a portion of the parent's eligibility and there is a 'household max' eligibility. So even if everyone is the HH is disabled and you live like the Walton's, there's a household max that's allowed.

$400 is already a LOT for a dependent child.

Stories like this are the reason a lot of people run to file a claim, only to find out they're not eligible or how little they can get.

ah well mom only gets 800 or 900, i forget. so if the kid gets only a portion of that, i can see where she's definitely lying. but the kid lies for a living...even to the point of denying a rape kit at the hospital one time, no doubt because she knew she was had at that point. she's also accused family and friends of rape, which is insane...but i digress..this is about SSD. i had no idea 400 was a lot but they were happy to get it while they had it.

so it sounds like unless she's gotten disability on her own she will lose it the month after graduation. which, sorry to say, is a good thing...then she can get out of the scum's house. i can really understand wanting to get away from parents but to abandon even all your old BAD friends you were involved with just sounds very ...weird. why not be with them now that you are FREE!

#6 luckydriver

luckydriver
  • Members
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

we may have to contact that site for some deprogramming..just found out that instead of using the 400 toward her 'needs'this month, she gave it to the boyfriends dad (who she's living with) so he could fix his motorcycle...pure classy move.... so now she has no money for her prom and asked mom for 150 ..um...no. then she thought of asking her dad...the man who she swore and and said she didnt want to go to her graduation nor have anything to do with him. um...really doubt it.

so the girl is basically under the same or worse rules than when she lived with her dad and she's getting her money 'stolen' from her...from pure strangers..at least when her mom had her money she would get some use out of it..never into a motorcycle!

and the kid continues to lie about why she didnt return calls and texts from mom after a week..she said she wasnt on the internet..guess someone hacked into her FB account and posted a bunch of stuff then eh? a simple 'i didnt wanna' would hurt so much less than the lies but she's all about her and when stuff is convenient for her

and i saw a really sad post the other day from her..and no idea why she even said such a thing but she said remember 9/11 and the day 3000 people committed suicide...i dont know if she's trying to prove she's MR or what but that's really something i dont even think a 5 yr old could make up or be so wrong about. based on responses to her post i think she missed a day of school where they talked about homicide (lotta people were correcting her) and somehow the girl thinks that is suicide..but she's already tried that at least 3x on herself so you think she would know the difference. very messed up and sad

#7 luckydriver

luckydriver
  • Members
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

the kid is graduating as we speak and her mom texted me that she's wearing flip flops! i know the evil step parents are crap but c'mon..even sneakers would be better to graduation! i just am glad she graduated because she did promise mom that.

idiot dad didnt show up based on some misguided principle of his. he's a hot mess.

#8 Nemeweh

Nemeweh

Official CB Party Planner

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:43 AM

the kid is graduating as we speak and her mom texted me that she's wearing flip flops! i know the evil step parents are crap but c'mon..even sneakers would be better to graduation! i just am glad she graduated because she did promise mom that.

idiot dad didnt show up based on some misguided principle of his. he's a hot mess.

Honey, they all sound like hot messes from here. :lol: Sure hope they get it worked out though.

#9 luckydriver

luckydriver
  • Members
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

if all the same ppl are on CB, where are the hot messes..what forum do they hang out on? :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.