Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

I am about to be a squeaky wheel

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Tigz

Tigz
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

We are in Bryson City NC right now.

We came up for a train ride on the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad. I had made the reservations online and paid online. I have my confirmation number and information for the trip. (which was to be this morning at 10:30)

Well, my car's transmission is acting a little "off", so we rented a car to drive up. We stayed in a hotel last night (and tonight).

Well, we got to the train depot with an hour to spare. Strangely enough, there were no cars in the parking lot. So we went up near the depot and went into a gift shop. The guy at the gift shop just sort of gave us a blank stare and said that the train doesn't run today. That they don't run on Sunday and Monday. I showed him my confirmation email, and he tried to call someone, but apparently could get no one. We went over to the depot and waited around until after 10:30 (when the train was supposed to leave according to our confirmation)

I am really pizzed. The train ride was the main purpose for this "mini-cation" I mean, yeah, we can go to Cherokee or drive in the mountains for the scenery....but that isn't the point. The point is we came up here specifically for the train ride. If I had known that they didn't run on Sunday, we could have left Friday night and taken yesterday's excursion. But no, I have this confirmation for today's excursion, with our seat numbers and everything. We have to be back in GA on Tuesday (DD has rehearsal for her recital, and she can't miss it), so we really can't stick around for the Tuesday excursion.

We are contesting the $250+/- charge with AMEX....but considering the other money we are out, I think they ought to offer us a free excursion. (or at very least, one free ticket). The reservation was made directly through their website....not a 3rd party.....so I think it is only fair.

#2 SplashMom

SplashMom
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

That sucks, Tigz, and I agree that you should be compensated for what you've already spent and should receive free tickets for another time. How strange that their site allowed you to purchase tickets for a day the train doesn't even run. They obviously need to fix that! DH and I want to visit NC and ride the train, too. I'd especially like to go in the fall when the foliage is turning. The squeaky wheel gets the oil and I hope you get yours. GOOD LUCK!

#3 beli

beli
  • Members
  • 8,922 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

If it was made through their website, there was/is no excuse. I'd be on the phone first thing tomorrow morning with management.

#4 Labyrinthine

Labyrinthine
  • Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

That would be one very ugly conversation if I were you. And it would be best if they ended up compensating for all my expenses, not just the lost train ride. Inexcusable.

#5 cashnocredit

cashnocredit

cash AND credit

• Members
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

Wow!

Incredible.

#6 gamecockcountry

gamecockcountry
  • Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

I've ridden the trains out there a few times. We do the polar express each year there. I haven't ever had any problems but they don't really seem to be a very well organized organization.

The train schedule on their website does not list any Sunday or Monday rides available this month. That is crazy that they actually let you buy tickets.

#7 Nemeweh

Nemeweh

Official CB Party Planner

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

Waiting to find out how it worked out, Tigz. :wub:

#8 butterflywings

butterflywings

She Tries

• Members
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

That would be one very ugly conversation if I were you. And it would be best if they ended up compensating for all my expenses, not just the lost train ride. Inexcusable.

I agree 10000%

Tigz, I hope your husband didn't blame you for this, and take it out on you that you drove all that way for basically nothing.

#9 pryan67

pryan67

Mikey, the Life cereal kid

• Mod Squad
  • 49,118 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:23 AM

They should also pay your expenses for getting there...the rental car, etc

#10 TauntingBull

TauntingBull
  • Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:28 AM

If the reservation was made thru their site, then i agree 100%

#11 dawniedawn67

dawniedawn67
  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

What ended up happening???? :unsure:

#12 TeeSharice

TeeSharice

ModSquad

• Mod Squad
  • 20,483 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

If the reservation was made thru their site, then i agree 100%

Can you advocate for the OP?? She needs some assistance

#13 orangecrush

orangecrush

Goddess of the Jacksonville Tourism Bureau

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

Can you advocate for the OP?? She needs some assistance

:blink: :swoon:

#14 giraffy

giraffy

Perfect

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

Tee. C'mon now. That's like poking a stick at a wasps nest. :lol:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.