Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Minimum Purchase - told me I had to buy more things!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JTinNewYork

JTinNewYork
  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

I stopped at a local mini-mart/gas station last night. Bought a soda, some chips, etc. The total was $8.59. The cashier says "we have a minimum $10 on all cc sales". I just look at her in disbelief. Then, get this, she goes on to say, complete with an attitude, "so you'll have to buy more things to get to the $10 level".

My response... "you aren't going to tell me what I have to buy or how much of my earned money I can spend and you are not allow to have minimums on credit card sales".

She instantly shuts up and agrees to accept my cc.

#2 rslifkin

rslifkin

Joseph C unchained

• CB JAIL
  • 4,994 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

This could be a major problem. I have shopped at no less than 3 stores this week, since I do use credit almost exclusively for purchases in my daily life (Shall I list the stores?) that have $10 limit or better.

I also was asked for ID at Best Buy, but that is :offtopic:to this, and a different issue.

Needless to say, ID was shown and the purchases were $11 or better by adding things on...

What is the right way to handle the minimum credit purchase amount issue? Im not trying to go off-topic here.

#3 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 67,683 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

this is why I carry a single $100 bill in my wallet. I give subprime merchants a choice: take my credit card or break the $100. Not a single merchant has opted for the subprime cash. These merchants forget that cash is a very expensive means to transact.

#4 groze

groze
  • Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

The $10.00 minimum or below is allowed now in the U.S. by law. Have a minimum purchase of $10.01 or higher still violates the credit card companies rules.

#5 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 67,683 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

The $10.00 minimum or below is allowed now in the U.S. by law. Have a minimum purchase of $10.01 or higher still violates the credit card companies rules.

true, but if merchants were is such dire need to relief then why have they all refused my CASH and let me charge small purchases?

#6 rslifkin

rslifkin

Joseph C unchained

• CB JAIL
  • 4,994 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

true, but if merchants were is such dire need to relief then why have they all refused my CASH and let me charge small purchases?

And why does every retailer not utilize this minimum?

I notice smaller and more "cheap with their money" stores are the one with a note written on an index card with a Sharpie taped up over the card reader are the primary times I see that which says "$10 minimum."

#7 Need More RWHP

Need More RWHP
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:25 AM

From my understanding from the last edition of US law that permitted $10 minimum, credit card companies can't prohibit minimum purchase.

Permitted:
$n minimum purchase required on all CC purchase. Credit card NOT accepted under $n. (credit card issues maintain the right to prohibit minimum purchase above $10)

NOT permitted:
$n minimum OR we'll steal 45 cents from you.

or...

We're going to fraudulently charge xx cents/percent of purchase price for using credit card.

Adding fees for credit card is prohibited by VISA/MC, period. AMEX follows as they need to be treated with equal preference as other cards.

#8 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 67,683 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:28 AM

From my understanding from the last edition of US law that permitted $10 minimum, credit card companies can't prohibit minimum purchase.

Permitted:
$n minimum purchase required on all CC purchase. Credit card NOT accepted under $n. (credit card issues maintain the right to prohibit minimum purchase above $10)

NOT permitted:
$n minimum OR we'll steal 45 cents from you.

or...

We're going to fraudulently charge xx cents/percent of purchase price for using credit card.

Adding fees for credit card is prohibited by VISA/MC, period. AMEX follows as they need to be treated with equal preference as other cards.

just because a min. purchase is not against policy or the law does not mean a consumer has to comply. That is why I carry a single $100 bill. I have yet to find a merchant willing to take the $100 in lieu of a credit card for small purchases.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.