Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Paid Medical Account Wrongly Sent to Collections - Best Way to Fight?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OnMyOwnMom

OnMyOwnMom
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

Hi, I have a collection account on all 3 CRA reports from Trojan Professional Services, this is regarding my son's orthodontic work. I have a statement from the orthodontist's own computerized website system showing that before they started tacking on these $30/month late fees for no obvious reason, we were Paid In Full. Orthodontist admits billing system problems in writing to me, yet still insists we owe...we don't. What is the best way to fight this. OC is no help so will need to be with CRAs or CA. I don't think HIPPA letter works since we paid the original creditor, right? Don't know which way to go. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 Why Chat

Why Chat
  • Members
  • 21,626 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

Hi, I have a collection account on all 3 CRA reports from Trojan Professional Services, this is regarding my son's orthodontic work. I have a statement from the orthodontist's own computerized website system showing that before they started tacking on these $30/month late fees for no obvious reason, we were Paid In Full. Orthodontist admits billing system problems in writing to me, yet still insists we owe...we don't. What is the best way to fight this. OC is no help so will need to be with CRAs or CA. I don't think HIPPA letter works since we paid the original creditor, right? Don't know which way to go. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

OK,
Was this on some kind of contract with the OC??
You paid in full, you have a receipt. The OC admits a billing error, you need to lay some groundwork for getting this off your reports.( I assume it IS on all 3 reports??- you will need REAL reports To order, visit annualcreditreport.com,or call 1-877-322-8228)

First opt out ( this will help prevent this error from compounding with data miners buying your data and reselling it to Junk Debt Buyers)
http://www.whychat.5...OPTOUTINST.HTML
Have you moved since the date of the orthodentic service?? If so, try to get your old address deleted from your reports.

Next send this to each CRA where the account is reporting:
http://www.whychat.5.../hipaadisp.html

If the CRAs verify the accounts, and do not delete, and this is a RECENT account ( within the past 18 Months) send the OC this:
http://www.whychat.5u.com/hipltr.html
with insert "b" as shown here:

This account is a billing error.

It has been paid,( proof of payment attached) .

It is not a valid bill and has been properly disputed, therefore I request complete deletion from all your agent (name of CA)'s records and archives.

Edited by Why Chat, 09 March 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#3 OnMyOwnMom

OnMyOwnMom
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:15 AM

OK,
Was this on some kind of contract with the OC??
You paid in full, you have a receipt. The OC admits a billing error, you need to lay some groundwork for getting this off your reports.( I assume it IS on all 3 reports??- you will need REAL reports To order, visit annualcreditreport.com,or call 1-877-322-8228)

First opt out ( this will help prevent this error from compounding with data miners buying your data and reselling it to Junk Debt Buyers)
http://www.whychat.5...OPTOUTINST.HTML
Have you moved since the date of the orthodentic service?? If so, try to get your old address deleted from your reports.

Next send this to each CRA where the account is reporting:
http://www.whychat.5.../hipaadisp.html

If the CRAs verify the accounts, and do not delete, and this is a RECENT account ( within the past 18 Months) send the OC this:

It is not a valid bill and has been properly disputed, therefore I request complete deletion from all your agent (name of CA)'s records and archives.

#4 OnMyOwnMom

OnMyOwnMom
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

Thanks, Why Chat. I tried to reply last night from my ipad - but it wouldn't cooperate - sorry about the blank reply!

It was a contract, yes. I will try what you suggested. I already have my 3 real reports. Thanks again!

#5 Why Chat

Why Chat
  • Members
  • 21,626 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

Thanks, Why Chat. I tried to reply last night from my ipad - but it wouldn't cooperate - sorry about the blank reply!

It was a contract, yes. I will try what you suggested. I already have my 3 real reports. Thanks again!

If it was a signed financing contract the HIPAA letter program may not work.
Do you have a copy of the contract?? Is there an outside finance Co. involved or was it "in house".

#6 OnMyOwnMom

OnMyOwnMom
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

Do you have a copy of the contract?? Is there an outside finance Co. involved or was it "in house".

Why Chat,
I do not have a copy of the contract...at least, I don't think I do...I just moved a few months ago and perhaps if I dig deep enough I might turn up something.

I sent out the letters as you suggested to the CRAs, followed all instructions. The Certified letters were received by all three CRAs between 3/30/2012 - 4/3/2012. I haven't received any notification of a "new dispute" in process from any of the CRAs...is that normal. I am used to the pre-CB method of disputes (online), where you get notifications via email of new disputes and their status along the way. Will I get anything from the CRAs at all? At the end of their 30 days? What if the 30 days go by and I see no evidence of a dispute even existing based on my letters? How would I handle that? Would I go on to the next letter you mention above, or would I contact the CRAs and say "What gives? You received my dispute on 3/30/2012 and apparently ignored it...???"

Thanks for all the time you give to help others here!!!

#7 Why Chat

Why Chat
  • Members
  • 21,626 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

Why Chat,
I do not have a copy of the contract...at least, I don't think I do...I just moved a few months ago and perhaps if I dig deep enough I might turn up something.

I sent out the letters as you suggested to the CRAs, followed all instructions. The Certified letters were received by all three CRAs between 3/30/2012 - 4/3/2012. I haven't received any notification of a "new dispute" in process from any of the CRAs...is that normal. I am used to the pre-CB method of disputes (online), where you get notifications via email of new disputes and their status along the way. Will I get anything from the CRAs at all? At the end of their 30 days? What if the 30 days go by and I see no evidence of a dispute even existing based on my letters? How would I handle that? Would I go on to the next letter you mention above, or would I contact the CRAs and say "What gives? You received my dispute on 3/30/2012 and apparently ignored it...???"

Thanks for all the time you give to help others here!!!

You can check your reports on line 10-14 days AFTER the CRA received your dispute if you haven't heard from them by then.
Go to the CRA website, click on "new dispute", DO NOT ACTUALLY ENTER A NEW DISPUTE, BE CAREFUL ABOUT CHECKING BOXES FOR E-MAIL RESPONSE OR OPTING BACK IN.

This will bring up your current report and you can see the status of your dispute.

#8 OnMyOwnMom

OnMyOwnMom
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:08 AM

You can check your reports on line 10-14 days AFTER the CRA received your dispute if you haven't heard from them by then.
Go to the CRA website, click on "new dispute", DO NOT ACTUALLY ENTER A NEW DISPUTE, BE CAREFUL ABOUT CHECKING BOXES FOR E-MAIL RESPONSE OR OPTING BACK IN.

This will bring up your current report and you can see the status of your dispute.

Thank you, Why Chat...that is as early as this Friday, so I will update then as to what's going on. Thanks for the timeline info...very helpful.

#9 OnMyOwnMom

OnMyOwnMom
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

Well, basically the money spent on certified mail was a big waste. Equifax isn't back yet, but Experian and Transunion basically came back as "updated". They now show no dollar amounts and the status is "NO STATUS"? How can this be legal? What should I do now? Here is what it says on Experian:

Posted Image
TROJAN PROFESSIONAL SE
Unknown
714-220-6716

Mailing Address:
4410 CERRITOS AVE
LOS ALAMITOS, CA 90720

Account NameTROJAN PROFESSIONAL SE
Account #XXXX
Account TypeCollection Department / Agency / Attorney
Balance
Date Opened3/1/2010

Account StatusClosed
Mo. Payment
Close Account DetailsPast Due
Payment StatusNo status
High Balance
Limit
Terms1 Month
CommentsAccount in dispute-reported by subscriber

Edited by OnMyOwnMom, 16 April 2012 - 10:57 PM.

#10 OnMyOwnMom

OnMyOwnMom
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

Well, basically the money spent on certified mail was a big waste. Equifax isn't back yet, but Experian and Transunion basically came back as "updated". They now show no dollar amounts and the status is "NO STATUS"? How can this be legal? What should I do now? Here is what it says on Experian:

Posted Image
TROJAN PROFESSIONAL SE
Unknown
714-220-6716

Mailing Address:
4410 CERRITOS AVE
LOS ALAMITOS, CA 90720

Account #XXXX
Balance
Date Opened3/1/2010

Account StatusClosed
Mo. Payment
Close Account DetailsPast Due
Payment StatusNo status
High Balance
Limit
Terms1 Month

^bump...and Equifax came back too...they all "updated / verified / whatever" - no luck :-( WHAT NOW?

#11 OnMyOwnMom

OnMyOwnMom
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

*Dup post...please see next...can't delete.

Edited by OnMyOwnMom, 23 May 2012 - 12:07 PM.

#12 OnMyOwnMom

OnMyOwnMom
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

WhyChat - I need your advice on this. I don't think the HIPPA process is working for me. I still have a few more days before everyone's time is up, but it seems like no one is considering my disputes to be anything to worry about. I mailed the validation letter you suggested to Trojan Professional Services and they received it on 5/3. (I have green card) I sent out the disputes with copies of validation letter and green card to CRAs - all were delivered on 5/7, 5/8, and 5/10. Trojan updated my account to the CRAs for May after receipt of my validation request, which I thought they couldn't do? Also, I have yet to hear anything from Trojan regarding my validation request (they have more time, I know).

As for the CRAs, I haven't heard anything from Experian or Transunion; however, Equifax came back as frivolous and will not reinvestigate. I am locked out of Transunion back door for some reason...not sure if it's because of the active dispute or what...but this is how Experian shows the account now:

PROFESSIONAL SE
Potentially Negative Closed
714-220-6716

Mailing Address:

4410 CERRITOS AVE

LOS ALAMITOS, CA 90720

Account #XXXX

Balance$643.00

Date Opened3/1/2010

Account StatusClosed

Mo. Payment

Close Account DetailsPast Due$643.00

Payment StatusSeriously past due date / assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection department

High Balance

Limit

Terms1 Month

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Assuming that Transunion and Experian reply back in writing that they also think it's frivolous or for whatever reason will not delete, what is the next step after this? (I have about a week & 1/2 left to wait it out on the deadlines) I am pretty sure that Trojan isn't going to willingly remove it. Thanks!

Edited by OnMyOwnMom, 23 May 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#13 Why Chat

Why Chat
  • Members
  • 21,626 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

#14 OnMyOwnMom

OnMyOwnMom
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

Our last activity was in 2009; however, they were still tacking late fees onto a paid in full account in March 2010...that is the last activity dollar wise. Either way, over 2 years old. Now what?

#15 Why Chat

Why Chat
  • Members
  • 21,626 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

Our last activity was in 2009; however, they were still tacking late fees onto a paid in full account in March 2010...that is the last activity dollar wise. Either way, over 2 years old. Now what?

Send it anyway, it appears the reporting CA is in a current business relationship with the OC.

#16 OnMyOwnMom

OnMyOwnMom
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

Send it anyway, it appears the reporting CA is in a current business relationship with the OC.

OK - I will try that next then. Thank you, Why Chat.

#17 OnMyOwnMom

OnMyOwnMom
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

I got another letter in the mail today from Equifax, this one states that they did reinvestigate and have "verified" the tradeline info. How could they verify if Trojan hasn't responded to the DV letter yet to me? Is that legal? Should I just continue on as you told me yesterday, WhyChat, or does this change things at least as far as Equifax goes? Thanks!!!:aggressive:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.