Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

What to do with my 2 starter cards

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sedric1

sedric1
  • Members
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:35 AM

so starting my credit repair a few years back, i opened these accounts with barebone credit and tons of baddies. currently the orchard card is up to 1300 and no AF. chase is about the same thing.

with no AF, its hard for me to close them, but i heard that orchard isnt giving limit increases either? i have a $5000 jfcu card, a $5500 cacu card and also a $14000 nfcu card active as of now too. i havent had a baddie posted on my reports in about 5 years (late payment) and otherwise really nothing else bad/but several good accounts with low/no balances - so i know i can get more.

my questions are - do you think closing a card with no AF is a good idea, just because it has a low limit?
Any idea if i could get a 'different' product with orchard or chase that would give higher limits (where i could keep the same account number and avoid a 'new' account with them)?

#2 j7n1o7

j7n1o7
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

I'm a newb, so take this w/ a grain of salt. Everything I've read says you should keep them and just stow them away in a sock drawer. It will increase your overall available credit giving you more flexibility to keep your utilization under 10%.

Edited by j7n1o7, 05 March 2012 - 09:50 AM.

#3 Gaby10

Gaby10

The Anti-Suze

• Members
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

Chances of PC'ing the Orchard card are pretty much nil. Chase, there's a possibility, depending on what kind of card it is. Some are eligible for product changes, some aren't. The only way to find out is to ask a CSR.

It doesn't hurt you to keep the accounts open if there's no AF, it only helps. I have a low ($1,100) limit HSBC Union Plus card on my reports that will never grow either... but it hasn't stopped me from getting five-figure limits from other issuers. Put your ego aside ("Why are they rejecting me? They're saying I suck... screw them!! I'll just take my business elsewhere, that'll show them..." yadda yadda yadda) and just consider those two cards your black sheep. They're not hurting you. They're just playing their small part in your history. Use them occasionally for the proverbial pack of gum or regular subscription, pay in full every month.

#4 sedric1

sedric1
  • Members
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

cool thanks. i was hoping that was ok, although i had heard that some lenders look down on those accounts as you move up

#5 SBA

SBA
  • Members
  • 7,000 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

cool thanks. i was hoping that was ok, although i had heard that some lenders look down on those accounts as you move up

With this, you (or wherever you heard this) are assuming either of two things:

1) Potential creditors manually review a new application (Unlikely, in 98% of the credit granting decisions)
2) Credit Granting software makes a distinction, and downgrades your application/credit worthiness, based on some evaluation of the " grade " of your creditors.

If the cards have no annual fee, I say " leave it alone, let it age ". :search:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.