Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Doomsday Preppers on Nat Geo

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 brazen

brazen

Thing Two

• Forum Leads
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:16 PM

Anyone watch it?

This show is awesome.

Though one nut had 15 years of food for 22 people. :swoon:

#2 dawniedawn67

dawniedawn67
  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:10 AM

I have a coworker that is really into this show and was telling me about it.

I don't have the patience for all that - my idea of prepping for doomsday is buying cyanide capsules. :lol:

#3 Fataliya

Fataliya
  • Members
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:49 AM

I LOVE this show! I'm gonna start canning when we get into a house. I think when it comes to my family, I should be prepared for ANY kind of disaster, so I've got some researching to do.

#4 Tigz

Tigz
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

When it comes to disaster preparedness, I always remember that line from the movie Tremors.... :lol:

Burt Gummer: Food for five years, a thousand gallons of gas, air filtration, water filtration, Geiger counter. Bomb shelter!
Underground........
Gosh darn monsters.

Note: edited last line to change the profanity

#5 cljohnr

cljohnr
  • Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

I've watched a few episodes. It's entertaining, but I haven't been that impressed by most of them. I think they kid themselves about their ability to defend their hoards in an actual disaster scenario. I also think a lot of them have mental issues.

#6 Nemeweh

Nemeweh

Official CB Party Planner

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:08 AM

Anyone watch it?

This show is awesome.

Though one nut had 15 years of food for 22 people. :swoon:

If you start counting up your family, you might find yourself with a big list of people who are gonna show up on your door step too. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

With a few exceptions we straight out told our friends they better not show up here expecting to be fed. They have all the same information we do, went through the same power outages, and gas shortages, so they should be smart enough to figure out that relying 100% on our supply chain is as dumb as you can get. If they'd rather spend $500 on an iPad, rather than a Country Grain Mill, not my problem unless they got some stuff to trade. :grin: Everyone can stock some Ramen noodles and tuna for super cheap, and when food prices go through the roof (like gas prices)it's just a way to hedge your bets.

I've watched a few episodes. It's entertaining, but I haven't been that impressed by most of them. I think they kid themselves about their ability to defend their hoards in an actual disaster scenario. I also think a lot of them have mental issues.

If they're on TV there probably is some mental issues going on. They certainly aren't thinking OPSEC are they? It's the ones that blend in and no one knows about that will be dangerous. Keep in mind that most of these type of people are the same people who have been taking CERT classes and have joined the ranks of what is called ANTS, so they really aren't out on their lonesome trying to defend their stores. The ones that scare me are the Anarchist types. Happened to meet a firefighter who was a bit of a "survivalist" and he was telling stories about some of the people in his "community" who had the mindset of "we'll take what we want from others" etc.. DH told him that might work here and there but the difference between "survivalist" and "preppers" is that "Preppers" are preparing for "whatever may come" be it a hurricane, or earthquake, or a pandemic...and most of them know that there will people who will be starving and willing to do "anything". It's crazy some of the steps people have taken to protect their homes. All I can say is beware of windows littered with broken glass, but the window is intact...:ph34r: You might get et. :rofl:

Honestly though, I think for most of these people it's more of a way of life (like gardening, and canning) that they picked up from their parents, grandparents etc.. A way to stand on their own two feet and owe nothing to anyone. I can't find fault in that, and respect it very much. I don't want to find myself in a FEMA camp or New Orleans Superdome, either. IMHO they're on the money with that line of thinking.

#7 Nemeweh

Nemeweh

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

I LOVE this show! I'm gonna start canning when we get into a house. I think when it comes to my family, I should be prepared for ANY kind of disaster, so I've got some researching to do.

Let me know when you're ready for some linkage. :grin:

#8 Fallon

Fallon

Thing One

• Mod Squad
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

If they're on TV there probably is some mental issues going on. They certainly aren't thinking OPSEC are they? It's the ones that blend in and no one knows about that will be dangerous. Keep in mind that most of these type of people are the same people who have been taking CERT classes and have joined the ranks of what is called ANTS, so they really aren't out on their lonesome trying to defend their stores. The ones that scare me are the Anarchist types. Happened to meet a firefighter who was a bit of a "survivalist" and he was telling stories about some of the people in his "community" who had the mindset of "we'll take what we want from others" etc.. DH told him that might work here and there but the difference between "survivalist" and "preppers" is that "Preppers" are preparing for "whatever may come" be it a hurricane, or earthquake, or a pandemic...and most of them know that there will people who will be starving and willing to do "anything". It's crazy some of the steps people have taken to protect their homes. All I can say is beware of windows littered with broken glass, but the window is intact...:ph34r: You might get et. :rofl:

Honestly though, I think for most of these people it's more of a way of life (like gardening, and canning) that they picked up from their parents, grandparents etc.. A way to stand on their own two feet and owe nothing to anyone. I can't find fault in that, and respect it very much. I don't want to find myself in a FEMA camp or New Orleans Superdome, either. IMHO they're on the money with that line of thinking.

:clapping:

#9 baby duck

baby duck
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

I would like some links. I've done some wandering, but would hate to miss something.

#10 Nemeweh

Nemeweh

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:20 AM

I would like some links. I've done some wandering, but would hate to miss something.

Done! Check your PM box. I pretty much copy/pasted what I messaged Fats. I r lazy. :grin:

#11 orangecrush

orangecrush

Goddess of the Jacksonville Tourism Bureau

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

:lol:

Yep.

Some of them seem kind of soft.

#12 brazen

brazen

Thing Two

• Forum Leads
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

Nem, I knew you would chime in.

:rofl:

Do you have chickens?

#13 Nemeweh

Nemeweh

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

Do you have chickens?

No. :cry2: But only because DH is always crying about "chickens drowning in the pool" and "the neighbor's cats eating them". He's very un-supportive like that. He doesn't seem to understand we need 52 chickens a year just for meat. That doesn't include the hens we need for eggs. Or that a Goat (ok two goats because they get lonely) can make all the milk and cheese a family needs. And that Nigerian Dwarfs are the perfect backyard breed. He also nixed the teacup pig idea. :mellow: He even had the nerve to tell me "You've lost your hippie mind."

#14 Fallon

Fallon

Thing One

• Mod Squad
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

Do you have chickens?

No. :cry2: But only because DH is always crying about "chickens drowning in the pool" and "the neighbor's cats eating them". He's very un-supportive like that. He doesn't seem to understand we need 52 chickens a year just for meat. That doesn't include the hens we need for eggs. Or that a Goat (ok two goats because they get lonely) can make all the milk and cheese a family needs. And that Nigerian Dwarfs are the perfect backyard breed. He also nixed the teacup pig idea. :mellow: He even had the nerve to tell me "You've lost your hippie mind."

Funny that in the last week I've mentioned chickens AND goats to Brazen, and gotten shot down on both accounts? Now she comes here, asking you about chickens?

I guess I have you and Doomsday Preppers to thank that my ideas now aren't met with looks like this. :unsure: :blink: :wacko:

Edited by Fallon, 05 March 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#15 Nemeweh

Nemeweh

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

Funny that in the last week I've mentioned chickens AND goats to Brazen, and gotten shot down on both accounts? Now she comes here, asking you about chickens?

I guess I have you and Doomsday Preppers to thank that my ideas now aren't met with looks like this. :unsure: :blink: :wacko:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I've almost talked DH into Rabbits...but DS says "They are NOT for eating! Only for petting, Mom!" I said ok, but we're going to name them Stew and Fricassee. :rofl: He just :blink: and walked away.

ETA - Brazen, much like my DH... Not at all supportive types!!

Edited by Nemeweh, 05 March 2012 - 04:54 PM.

#16 iH8cra

iH8cra

Owner, Y chromosome

• Members
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

15 years of food for 22 people? :swoon:

I can see having a couple hundred pounds of rice and beans in long term storage, but wow. Just wow.

I'd like to have chickens but I have no time with school, work, and sitting on the couch watching Netflix.

#17 Nemeweh

Nemeweh

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

http://americanprepp...today-show.html

Thought you guys might like this...

#18 baby duck

baby duck
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

Done! Check your PM box. I pretty much copy/pasted what I messaged Fats. I r lazy. :grin:

Thanks, Nems! :yahoo:

#19 Snork Maiden

Snork Maiden

Mouthy Russian

• Members
  • 838 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:53 AM

I cannot believe there's something called a 'teacup pig' and that I do not own one.

Rom is in for a surprise when he wakes up..

#20 Nemeweh

Nemeweh

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

I cannot believe there's something called a 'teacup pig' and that I do not own one.

My work here on Earth is done. Glad I could help.

http://www.teacuppigsforsale.com/

:ph34r:

#21 5ofus

5ofus
  • Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

My work here on Earth is done. Glad I could help.

http://www.teacuppigsforsale.com/

:ph34r:

Our dog is 20 lbs. So I can easily imaging this...

+ litter box trainable

My husband is going to hate you. :ph34r:

#22 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 67,583 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

Some of these people appear to have a mental disorder. Others seem to mainly want to have fun buy sinking their limited resources into toys and supplies they'll never use.

#23 deluxmary2000

deluxmary2000
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

I haven't seen the show, and know very little about "doomsday prepping". However...

Isn't one of the main points of prepping to be prepared to defend your "hoard"? And if so, WHY would you want to go on national TV and pretty much announce to the world that you have all of this stuff stockpiled?

Seems pretty foolish to me :dntknw: :dntknw:

#24 Fallon

Fallon

Thing One

• Mod Squad
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

Some of these people appear to have a mental disorder. Others seem to mainly want to have fun buy sinking their limited resources into toys and supplies they'll never use.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Edited by Fallon, 06 March 2012 - 11:20 AM.

#25 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 67,583 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

WTH???? I was not making any kind of political statement.

I suppose you did not understand what I wrote. I said "some" of them "appear to" and "others seem." It also appears a lot of them are having fun. But some of the paranoia displayed is troubling.

Edited by hegemony, 06 March 2012 - 11:28 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.