Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Runners

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tealeaf

Tealeaf
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

How did you get started? Right now I don't think I could run half a mile. Everytime I try to start a work out plan or join a gym I quit a couple months in and I think it's because im cooped up in a room. I spend a lot of my time indoors. I work a 40+ hr week in an office and go to class, so when it comes time to work out I feel that I have to get outside. How do I start? what type of sneakers? Do I just start walking at first?

I'm sitting at a 130lbs and feeling very chunky, pls help :D

#2 Nostromo

Nostromo
  • Members
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

How did you get started? Right now I don't think I could run half a mile. Everytime I try to start a work out plan or join a gym I quit a couple months in and I think it's because im cooped up in a room. I spend a lot of my time indoors. I work a 40+ hr week in an office and go to class, so when it comes time to work out I feel that I have to get outside. How do I start? what type of sneakers? Do I just start walking at first?

It'll be five years next month. Started two months after I quit smoking. One day I was out for a walk, and just decided to run down the block. Stopped and walked for a few minutes, then ran another block. Long story short, I went for walks 3-5 days a week, and the running time would gradually increase, while the walking time gradually decreased. I tried to follow the couch to 5K program, but ended up just going at my own pace, and using the C25K as a rough guide.

Within a few months, I was up to an hour non stop, and now I run 90 minutes non stop 3-4 times a week.

*Get a good pair of shoes (Note: the best, name brand shoe may not be the right shoes for your particular feet. If you can get a health professional to examine your feet, stride, that would be very helpful).

*Warm up before and cool down afterwards.

*Keep yourself hydrated.

*If you start to feel really sore, then stop. As you become more experienced, you'll probably come to learn the difference between minor soreness that comes and goes, and slight pain that might indicate the start of an injury.

#3 Sandscrit

Sandscrit
  • Forum Leads
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

Get a good pair of running or walking shoes. I would start off walking first. Build up your speed and time. It takes determination and a reason to continue. Good health isn't free, you have to work for it.

#4 giraffy

giraffy

Perfect

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

It'll be five years next month. Started two months after I quit smoking. One day I was out for a walk, and just decided to run down the block. Stopped and walked for a few minutes, then ran another block. Long story short, I went for walks 3-5 days a week, and the running time would gradually increase, while the walking time gradually decreased. I tried to follow the couch to 5K program, but ended up just going at my own pace, and using the C25K as a rough guide.

Within a few months, I was up to an hour non stop, and now I run 90 minutes non stop 3-4 times a week.

*Get a good pair of shoes (Note: the best, name brand shoe may not be the right shoes for your particular feet. If you can get a health professional to examine your feet, stride, that would be very helpful).

*Warm up before and cool down afterwards.

*Keep yourself hydrated.

*If you start to feel really sore, then stop. As you become more experienced, you'll probably come to learn the difference between minor soreness that comes and goes, and slight pain that might indicate the start of an injury.

All of this.

I used C25K, and had great success with it. When I started, I couldn't run a BLOCK. One lame block.

And it was really, really hard. The first time the program told me to run 20 minutes straight, I was stressed about it all day. But then I did it, and it was awesome. That was... October, 2010. Two weekends ago, I ran 13.1 miles, without stopping, at almost an HOUR less than I did the first time. And it was glorious. I mean, after, it was. During was pretty hard.

Good shoes make all the difference - if there's a running store nearby, they can fit you appropriately. It will probably suck and be really hard at first. Start slow. Don't try to do too much, too fast.

Running by itself won't solve your chunky-feeling, though. Eating well helps ;)

#5 iH8cra

iH8cra

Owner, Y chromosome

• Members
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

Just go outside and start moving. It doesn't matter that that you can't run a half mile or even 100 feet. The c25k programs tell you to jog (not sprint) for 15 seconds and walk for 2 minutes (then repeat for 30 minutes) if that's where you need to start. If you keep at it, you'll jog more and walk less and EVENTUALLY you'll be out there jogging non-stop.

You said you feel chunky at 130. I did my first 5k at 285. :o Not a typo.

#6 LogicalNoMore

LogicalNoMore
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

True fact: Its got to be something the person enjoys...and not forced. Learned that when I had a trainer.

Worse trainer I ever had...a gustopo style bully...said...no pain no gain....after I pulled an ACL...I found out...true pain equals...STOP.

So find what works for you....cardio can be done in ways that are not so HIGH energy yet moderately good for the blood flow/oxygen.I prefer biking....Good muscles without pounding on the knees and feet.... As one ages their regime changes....

#7 dilligaf

dilligaf
  • Members
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

The Couch-to-5K Running Plan

http://www.coolrunni...2/2_3/181.shtml

#8 gottaluvya

gottaluvya
  • Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

I am currently doing the Couch to 5k thing. On a treadmill at the gym. This is the week where it wants me to run that 20 minutes straight on the 3rd day of the workout. Yeah right HAHA. I said that though about the running for 5 minutes straight last week LOL. But I did it. Its hard. No doubt about it. And I know I can tailor it to my needs...if I need to repeat last week again this week, so be it. I am only on MY schedule. I got farther than I did the last time I tried to do this!

this is what I am following...or trying to follow, and tinkering with when I need to:

http://www.c25k.com/..._treadmill.html

#9 Tealeaf

Tealeaf
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

I started the couch to 5k and so far it's OK, not easy but it's OK :lol: I'll keep at it.

#10 giraffy

giraffy

Perfect

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

I started the couch to 5k and so far it's OK, not easy but it's OK :lol: I'll keep at it.

I don't know that it ever REALLY gets easy, but it will suck less :lol:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.