Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Mercantile Adjustment Bureau

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rbrooks

rbrooks
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:07 PM

My wife had a medical bill that went into collection with Mercantile Adjustment Bureau in Williamsville (Buffalo) NY.

There were actually several small ones and one larger one for $436.

We sent in checks to cover each and every one; All the small ones were applied as expected, and we received notice that they were considered paid pending clearing of payment.

That was November.

I go to check the wife's FICO last month, and pull a report, and the $436 is still hanging. We file a dispute through Experian.

About two weeks later I get a letter saying they 'validated' it but weren't able to complete their investigation. Wait, what? How do you validate something without being able to investigate?

Things start to get heated here. We obtain copy of cancelled check, the CMRR stub signed by their rep, and fax it to them. 'Todd' the supervisor says he will take care of it.

Apparently he took care of it by sending it to their 'Compliance Division' which is unreachable (They don't take calls according to the CSR's answering the phone). I've been hung up on by LaFawnda and Shaniqua trying to get through to someone that will actually talk to us a few times. When asked how long it will take for them to review and provide a receipt of payment, I am told 'Compliance can take as long as they want and there is nothing you can do about it'.

Getting very frustrated here. We're on the verge of decent clean credit after several years of being on the short side and this is one of the biggest stumbling blocks. I've tried everything, even found the name of their director of compliance and sent faxes to his attention, nothing. They hang up on me almost immediately if I call.

What's next? Lawyer up? Drive there (They're local) and make a scene? Be prepared to continue disputing with all three CRA's monthly until they finally give up?

#2 CB Owners

CB Owners
  • Mod Squad
  • 13,071 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

Welcome to CreditBoards! We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free
    to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section.
    Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part! It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the bottom of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, breeze
CB Mods: CargoJon, Chris in OK, cotterpin, CramItCCCAs, Fallon, MarvBear, CtSoxFan, pryan67, psp, Stryker, TrevorHere
Forum Leads: brazen, Brian B The Loan Professor, cedski, DallasLoanGuy, hoapres, ICANHASMUNY?, Lighthouse84, Linx04, TeeSharice

#3 rbrooks

rbrooks
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

Thanks very much for the quick post approval and welcome!

Welcome to CreditBoards! We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free
    to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section.
    Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part! It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the bottom of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, breeze
CB Mods: CargoJon, Chris in OK, cotterpin, CramItCCCAs, Fallon, MarvBear, CtSoxFan, pryan67, psp, Stryker, TrevorHere
Forum Leads: brazen, Brian B The Loan Professor, cedski, DallasLoanGuy, hoapres, ICANHASMUNY?, Lighthouse84, Linx04, TeeSharice

#4 breeze

breeze

Site Owners & FC XXXVIII

• Admin
  • 46,254 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

:wave:

#5 rbrooks

rbrooks
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:55 PM

No input on this?

#6 kal el

kal el
  • Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

I would use whychats hipaa method, worked for me on paid medical collections.

#7 Iamdanieltuck

Iamdanieltuck
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:51 PM

You could try an ITS letter, it might sped them up a bit.

My wife had a medical bill that went into collection with Mercantile Adjustment Bureau in Williamsville (Buffalo) NY.

We sent in checks to cover each and every one; All the small ones were applied as expected, and we received notice that they were considered paid pending clearing of payment.

That was November.

I go to check the wife's FICO last month, and pull a report, and the $436 is still hanging. We file a dispute through Experian.

About two weeks later I get a letter saying they 'validated' it but weren't able to complete their investigation. Wait, what? How do you validate something without being able to investigate?

Things start to get heated here. We obtain copy of cancelled check, the CMRR stub signed by their rep, and fax it to them. 'Todd' the supervisor says he will take care of it.

Apparently he took care of it by sending it to their 'Compliance Division' which is unreachable (They don't take calls according to the CSR's answering the phone). I've been hung up on by LaFawnda and Shaniqua trying to get through to someone that will actually talk to us a few times. When asked how long it will take for them to review and provide a receipt of payment, I am told 'Compliance can take as long as they want and there is nothing you can do about it'.

Getting very frustrated here. We're on the verge of decent clean credit after several years of being on the short side and this is one of the biggest stumbling blocks. I've tried everything, even found the name of their director of compliance and sent faxes to his attention, nothing. They hang up on me almost immediately if I call.

What's next? Lawyer up? Drive there (They're local) and make a scene? Be prepared to continue disputing with all three CRA's monthly until they finally give up?

#8 ICANHASMUNY?

ICANHASMUNY?

Forum Leads - State Laws

• Forum Leads
  • 14,464 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

That was November.

file complaints with the State AG, and the FTC.

http://www.ag.ny.gov/contact.html

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

Call the provider, and ask them if they have been paid - tell them you have proof of payment.

redispute this with the CRA's - send copies of your payments. ask fo it to be deleted.

#9 rbrooks

rbrooks
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

test

#10 rbrooks

rbrooks
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

Ok, I had an error when posting a minute ago.

The problem seems to be that they applied our check to someone else's account; The account written in on the cashed check did not match the one we'd remitted the check for. So I highly doubt the hospital has been paid.

I think they've sent our money elsewhere and expect us to forget about it or pay again.

How does hippa come into play?

#11 rbrooks

rbrooks
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

OK I just looked up the whychat letter. Makes sense I suppose.

#12 ICANHASMUNY?

ICANHASMUNY?

Forum Leads - State Laws

• Forum Leads
  • 14,464 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:26 PM

if you have a copy of the check, send a copy off to the CA. along with the hippa letter.

file the complaints.

#13 Nitro3

Nitro3
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

I have a paid collection with them from Niagara Mohawk when I lived in Amherst. Moved to NC and they mixed up the zip code #. Received a collection notice before the bill actually arrived when I learned of the mix up. This was pre-creditboards too!

I have written, called, CMRR to no available communication from them.

Goodluck, let us know how you make out.

#14 rbrooks

rbrooks
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:26 PM

Just file a complaint with the ag's office in buffalo, the investigator is karen davis, that's who u need to contact, she is really fast and in the buffalo area!

Now that's some useful info! Thank you so much.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.