Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

How to improve my score

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Beach32

Beach32
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

My current credit score is around a 715, and has been stuck there for about 6 months give or take a few points. I can't seem to get it any higher. Therefore, I still got turned down on a Chase Freedom (Their excuse was that I already had too many accounts with them. I only have a Disney Card, plus a checking account). Also Amex turned me down as well.

I'm a 20 year old college student, and my only debt is a $1000 federal school loan. I currently have 6 credit cards open, all have been paid on time their entire history, in full.

I also have an apartment in my name that I got approved for, and my electric. All on time.
The only negative on my credit report I got taken off three months ago (Medical Bill Issue).

Any advice? Is my age a limiting factor on allowing it to up? Would it be wise to open a Discover Card?

#2 CB Owners

CB Owners
  • Mod Squad
  • 13,071 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

Welcome to CreditBoards! We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free
    to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section.
    Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part! It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the bottom of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, breeze
CB Mods: CargoJon, Chris in OK, cotterpin, CramItCCCAs, Fallon, MarvBear, CtSoxFan, pryan67, psp, Stryker, TrevorHere
Forum Leads: brazen, Brian B The Loan Professor, cedski, DallasLoanGuy, hoapres, ICANHASMUNY?, Lighthouse84, Linx04, TeeSharice

#3 Beach32

Beach32
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

I forgot to mention I do have a closed citi account, because they stopped the fuel reward program and didn't offer to keep it open

Welcome to CreditBoards! We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free
    to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section.
    Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part! It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the bottom of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, breeze
CB Mods: CargoJon, Chris in OK, cotterpin, CramItCCCAs, Fallon, MarvBear, CtSoxFan, pryan67, psp, Stryker, TrevorHere
Forum Leads: brazen, Brian B The Loan Professor, cedski, DallasLoanGuy, hoapres, ICANHASMUNY?, Lighthouse84, Linx04, TeeSharice

#4 Repairerer

Repairerer

Bump Influence Scroll Keeper IV

• Members
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

Probably low average age of accounts. Possibly also already high total revolving limits in relation to income.

What was the reason Amex gave you for denial?

In general, you're doing awesome. Garden your accounts for a while.

#5 markca

markca

Bump Influence III

• Members
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

Are all of your cards reporting a $0 balance on your reports?

Edited by markca, 20 February 2012 - 10:05 PM.

#6 Beach32

Beach32
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

Two show a balance. One is $300 on a $2500 limit, and the other is 150 on a $3000. My useage is 6%

Also when I put in my income, I say $60,000 since that is our household income.

The Amex excuse I believe was lack of history. I just want something good for fuel rewards

#7 by2

by2
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:26 PM

Two show a balance. One is $300 on a $2500 limit, and the other is 150 on a $3000. My useage is 6%

The Amex excuse I believe was lack of history. I just want something good for fuel rewards

My experience is that those companies generally want a credit score of 760 and above to qualify. I would just garden for a while and get some more time under your history!! Good luck you are doing well.

#8 Beach32

Beach32
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

My experience is that those companies generally want a credit score of 760 and above to qualify. I would just garden for a while and get some more time under your history!! Good luck you are doing well.

All right. Would you suggest a Discover for the rewards? They send me offers in the mail.

I'm just eager. I love to have perfect everything. My mom has over an 800 so I hope to get up there soon! I also was looking into buying a small house but decided I'd rather keep my savings since I wasn't sure if I'd continue to live here

#9 Napoleon23

Napoleon23
  • Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

All right. Would you suggest a Discover for the rewards? They send me offers in the mail.

I'm just eager. I love to have perfect everything. My mom has over an 800 so I hope to get up there soon! I also was looking into buying a small house but decided I'd rather keep my savings since I wasn't sure if I'd continue to live here

Ask you Mom to add you as an authorized user on some of her oldest credit cards.. they will show up on your report, and increase your AAoA

#10 Beach32

Beach32
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

Ask you Mom to add you as an authorized user on some of her oldest credit cards.. they will show up on your report, and increase your AAoA

I'm not sure if she will do that? I am on one of her cards. Which ones for sure report? I'll see if she has any. Right now her primary ones are Disney (since 2002), Chase Freedom(Just opened) Kohls (since 96) JC Penny for a long while

#11 Napoleon23

Napoleon23
  • Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:42 PM

You can call and ask if they report authorized users, ideally youd get on Kohls or JC Penny

#12 Beach32

Beach32
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:54 PM

You can call and ask if they report authorized users, ideally youd get on Kohls or JC Penny

I'll try that. I'm still not sure if she would go for it. She thinks I already have too many cards, and how much I obsess over it all is silly and to just let it all come.

#13 Link2k

Link2k
  • Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:57 PM

whats your AAoA?

How old is your oldest account?

Definitely already 2 steps ahead with that score.

#14 Beach32

Beach32
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:17 PM

whats your AAoA?

How old is your oldest account?

Definitely already 2 steps ahead with that score.

My average age is One year and two months
My oldest is Dec 2009.

So my 715 is pretty good?

#15 eazy_money

eazy_money
  • Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:52 AM

[/quote]

So my 715 is pretty good?
[/quote]

Posted Image

#16 Beach32

Beach32
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

I can't see your reply

#17 eazy_money

eazy_money
  • Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

I can't see your reply

to bad it won't show it was funny.

#18 Beach32

Beach32
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

Just an update. I applied for the Discover More and got approved for a $1000 limit. I called and she asked if that was enough, and I didin't have the guts or any good reason to ask for a bigger limit

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.