Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Yeah....so I live in the land of tightazz yahoos

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 cljohnr

cljohnr
  • Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

I think the gymnastics studio is right to distribute that information to the parents. Better they find out beforehand than get down there and show their asses. But that email goes way beyond providing the information. He's pretty clearly showing his opinion and outright advocating others to act the same way.

#27 i8thegreenbean

i8thegreenbean
  • Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

I have zero tolerance toward closed-minded bigots. In all honesty, I would probably consider looking for a different gymnastics studio.

Unfortunately, they are the only game in town... And quite frankly, they are less bigoted than the one in the nearest city.

Its a "southern thing" Unless we go to Atlanta (which is over 2 hours away).

I get the 'Southern thing', but I don't embrace it. I grew up in Texas, and my family would sell out a stadium if tickets were sold for closed-minded bigotry, racism, and anti-government tirades. <_<

Out of curiosity, what reasons are the children being given for the cancellation of this event?

I have no idea of what the other parents are telling their girls. I told my daughter the truth.

I would have done the same.

#28 Tigz

Tigz
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

I think the gymnastics studio is right to distribute that information to the parents. Better they find out beforehand than get down there and show their asses. But that email goes way beyond providing the information. He's pretty clearly showing his opinion and outright advocating others to act the same way.

I agree. I can actually understand some misgiving on the part of the parents of the younger children. I mean, having to talk to the child about human sexuality when you haven't even broached the discussion of the facts of life is sort of akin to placing the cart in front of the horse.

I have already had to have the "gay" talk with DD after she came home with some comments she had heard at school.

#29 Tigz

Tigz
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

guh, I did it again....I forgot to finish my thought....

Even though I can "understand" misgivings by the parents of the younger girls (5,6,7 year olds), The older girls and teens have already been exposed to the concept of human sexuality (I specifically say human sexuality instead of homosexuality since it encompasses the idea as a whole). I really don't understand what their parents are trying to "hide" from them or protect them from.

This is an issue...no, a reality..... of today's generation. Actually, it has been an issue from my generation on....it is just that "acceptance" is gaining momentum, which means resistance is fighting harder.

#30 giraffy

giraffy

Perfect

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

I agree. I can actually understand some misgiving on the part of the parents of the younger children. I mean, having to talk to the child about human sexuality when you haven't even broached the discussion of the facts of life is sort of akin to placing the cart in front of the horse.

I have already had to have the "gay" talk with DD after she came home with some comments she had heard at school.

I don't know why it even has to be discussed in the context of sexuality at all. Maybe I've been fortunate in my upbringing and consequently in the raising of my kids, but I've never had to discuss with them why that dude was holding another guy's hand in any type of way that referenced sex.

We have never treated it as anything special or unique, and... I guess as such, my kids aren't overly curious or wondrous (or freaked out) about it. It just kind of... is. :dntknw:

Edited by giraffy, 21 February 2012 - 06:51 PM.

#31 beli

beli
  • Members
  • 8,922 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

guh, I did it again....I forgot to finish my thought....

Even though I can "understand" misgivings by the parents of the younger girls (5,6,7 year olds), The older girls and teens have already been exposed to the concept of human sexuality (I specifically say human sexuality instead of homosexuality since it encompasses the idea as a whole). I really don't understand what their parents are trying to "hide" from them or protect them from.

This is an issue...no, a reality..... of today's generation. Actually, it has been an issue from my generation on....it is just that "acceptance" is gaining momentum, which means resistance is fighting harder.

They want to "hide" it from them thinking they are angels and want to protect them as long as possible.

#32 i8thegreenbean

i8thegreenbean
  • Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

I don't know why it even has to be discussed in the context of sexuality at all. Maybe I've been fortunate in my upbringing and consequently in the raising of my kids, but I've never had to discuss with them why that dude was holding another guy's hand in any type of way that referenced sex.

We have never treated it as anything special or unique, and... I guess as such, my kids aren't overly curious or wondrous (or freaked out) about it. It just kind of... is. :dntknw:

I remember my daughter (around 3ish in age) asked why 2 guys were holding hands. I simply said, "Some boys love boys, and some girls love girls." Simple as that. It's the truth, and she didn't question it further. You are correct: it doesn't need to be discussed in the context of sexuality.

#33 dawniedawn67

dawniedawn67
  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

:wub: :wub:

#34 Pam

Pam

Site Owner

• Admin
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

I remember my daughter (around 3ish in age) asked why 2 guys were holding hands. I simply said, "Some boys love boys, and some girls love girls." Simple as that. It's the truth, and she didn't question it further. You are correct: it doesn't need to be discussed in the context of sexuality.

This. Pretty much same conversation I had with DD.

#35 Nostromo

Nostromo
  • Members
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

But isn't the statement "Some boys love boys. Some girls love girls." refering to sexuality? :dntknw:

That said, I do think it's great that so many of you don't think it's a big deal at all, and have no problem with Gay Day, etc.

#36 Pam

Pam

Site Owner

• Admin
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

But isn't the statement "Some boys love boys. Some girls love girls." refering to sexuality? :dntknw:

That said, I do think it's great that so many of you don't think it's a big deal at all, and have no problem with Gay Day, etc.

No, it refers to emotional love, not physical love.

#37 Nostromo

Nostromo
  • Members
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

No, it refers to emotional love, not physical love.

I see what you all are saying. Personally, I think emotional love is a part of human sexuality, and even referencing the emotional part without the physical part, falls under the umbrella of sexuality, but I can understand why others might feel differently.

#38 Tigz

Tigz
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

Human sexuality encompasses a lot more than just sex. It is romance, it is mating rituals, it is attractions.
Of course, no one can explain all that to a small child, it is something that is learned as they grow and mature.

Children have their own logic. When a pieces are missing, they make up/think what is logical to them. I remember some really weird things that I thought as a child because I would take what people said, and if I couldn't understand it, I would "logic" it out in my mind until I thought I understood. (and of course it was all wrong :lol:....talk about the shock I had when I found out that a baby didn't burst out of a mommy's tummy....and being totally grossed out when someone told me it was pooped out) .

I would be afraid that if I just said "some boys like boys and some girls like girls" a child would take that at face value. (to them, that makes perfect sense....since boys play with boys and girls play with girls). As they get older and start hearing hushed whispers about "gays" then the the child would start to wonder if he/she was "g.a.y." because his/her best friend is of the same sex....because in truth, they really don't know what "gay" is because what they were told is that some boys like boys and some girls like girls. At a young age, they really don't understand the difference about different types of love other than maybe "mommy/daddy love" and "best buddy love", "sibling love" etc.

That is why I think a more precise answer is in order...that it would be like boyfriend/girlfriend or mommy/daddy type love, but between two boys or between two girls.

#39 Echo_X

Echo_X

Chicken Little

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

But once more, it boils down to a problem of the bigotry of the parent. Children are not necessarily good, but they are innocent.

Most children will not notice or care that two adults are holding hands, as a matter of fact, unless their parents specifically work to stop it, kids hold their friend's hands all the time, grab each other's hands and lead each other around by them, ESPECIALLY little girls. Yes, there are romantic connotations to hand holding, and kids know this, there are also nonromantic connotations to hand holding, kids know the difference as it applies to them, but don't really notice, OR CARE when it is someone else doing it. The exceptions of course, being bullies. And apologies to all the people who say "a bad kid does not mean bad parents", which is sometimes true, but often, a bullying child is usually repeating the views of a bullying adult.

The GBL attendees at the "disney properties" <which could be anything, hotels, down town disney, a park in the middle of nowhere that just happens to be owned by disney> are not going to come up to anyone's kids and start making out in front of them or start talking to them about sex. It does not effect the kids, and it does not effect the grownups. I feel sorry for these children, first for missing out on a meet in a very special place that many of them may never, ever get to attend otherwise, and second, because one of these kids, just statistically speaking, is likely to have a same sex affiliation when they grow up, and be either shamed or threatened into compliance with a life style that they do not want....Or something much, much worse...

#40 Pam

Pam

Site Owner

• Admin
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

Human sexuality encompasses a lot more than just sex. It is romance, it is mating rituals, it is attractions.
Of course, no one can explain all that to a small child, it is something that is learned as they grow and mature.

Children have their own logic. When a pieces are missing, they make up/think what is logical to them. I remember some really weird things that I thought as a child because I would take what people said, and if I couldn't understand it, I would "logic" it out in my mind until I thought I understood. (and of course it was all wrong :lol:....talk about the shock I had when I found out that a baby didn't burst out of a mommy's tummy....and being totally grossed out when someone told me it was pooped out) .

I would be afraid that if I just said "some boys like boys and some girls like girls" a child would take that at face value. (to them, that makes perfect sense....since boys play with boys and girls play with girls). As they get older and start hearing hushed whispers about "gays" then the the child would start to wonder if he/she was "g.a.y." because his/her best friend is of the same sex....because in truth, they really don't know what "gay" is because what they were told is that some boys like boys and some girls like girls. At a young age, they really don't understand the difference about different types of love other than maybe "mommy/daddy love" and "best buddy love", "sibling love" etc.

That is why I think a more precise answer is in order...that it would be like boyfriend/girlfriend or mommy/daddy type love, but between two boys or between two girls.

I think you missed the fact that in the response where this was mentioned, the child was around 3. I think DD was around 4. Age plays a huge part in how you explain it, IMO.

I think I used the word "marry" rather than love, because DD had a grasp of that general concept at the time.

DD has since asked more questions about same sex relationships and we've had less-simplistic discussions about it, but at 3,4 I used words and concepts she would understand easily.

#41 Tigz

Tigz
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

Ah, ok. I get you now.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.