Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Contact at Direct Loans for GW letter?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jaided

jaided
  • Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

So, I have a 120-day late on my Direct Loans account from about two years ago (4/10 to be exact). I've been in forbearance and/or paying 100% on time ever since - so I have no lates after this date. This account was recently sold and broken into two different accounts. The two new accounts don't list any lates. BUT, the old account still has that 120-day late sticking out like a sore thumb. I tried to dispute this old (sold) account as a duplicate account and haven't received official word back from all CRAs, but it's not looking good for deletion. So, I decided to a GW to the Direct Loans people.

Considering this account is now closed and sold, who do I contact?

If I contact the current owners of the new accounts, I certainly don't want them to say "oops, didn't realize we didn't have those lates listed" and start reporting lates on my NEW accounts.

If you think a GW letter, is a good idea, anyone have any idea who I could contact??

My defense is going to be: I screwed up (shame on me), I didn't know there was a such thing as forberance while unemployed. If I had defaulted, I would have rehabbed by now and have perfect history again. But, because I did the right thing and did NOT default, I'm worse off than if I had let this go further and HAD actually defaulted then rehabbed. Please help. (Something along those lines.)

#2 LynnInMN

LynnInMN

CB Student Loan Guru

• Forum Leads
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:10 AM

You defense wont hold water with them nor is it worth the price of a stamp.

#3 jaided

jaided
  • Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:58 PM

You defense wont hold water with them nor is it worth the price of a stamp.

Um thanks, very helpful.

Anyone else re: contacts?

#4 LynnInMN

LynnInMN

CB Student Loan Guru

• Forum Leads
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:00 AM

There are no contacts. They won't delete accurate information.

#5 delta289

delta289
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

I have to respectfully disagree. I've been successful in getting late payment notations removed after a retroactive forbearance.

In my case, I called and spoke with a CSR at my student loan servicer, and explained that I was uninformed and didn't realize I could qualify for an unemployment forbearance. I was completely honest, accepted responsibility for my mistake, and showed a reliable, on-time payment history. In fact, I used the same defense as the OP. I then set up automatic payments through my bank account, and was told to call back once I had 6 months of on-time payment history following my forbearance.

One week later, I was alerted to a change on my credit report, and saw that the servicer had changed all of the late payment notations to OK.

This strategy hasn't worked with all of my student loans (I have 3 different servicers) but it did work on 3 tradelines. I realize it's a longshot and that everyone's experience will be different, but I'm incredibly grateful for the positive changes.

My advice? Start by calling Customer Service, and be very nice. See if they'll direct you to someone who can help. And don't give up. Yes, student loans are the absolute hardest negatives to fix, but difficult doesn't mean impossible. You never know when your tenacity might pay off.

#6 jaided

jaided
  • Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

I have to respectfully disagree. I've been successful in getting late payment notations removed after a retroactive forbearance.

In my case, I called and spoke with a CSR at my student loan servicer, and explained that I was uninformed and didn't realize I could qualify for an unemployment forbearance. I was completely honest, accepted responsibility for my mistake, and showed a reliable, on-time payment history. In fact, I used the same defense as the OP. I then set up automatic payments through my bank account, and was told to call back once I had 6 months of on-time payment history following my forbearance.

One week later, I was alerted to a change on my credit report, and saw that the servicer had changed all of the late payment notations to OK.

This strategy hasn't worked with all of my student loans (I have 3 different servicers) but it did work on 3 tradelines. I realize it's a longshot and that everyone's experience will be different, but I'm incredibly grateful for the positive changes.

My advice? Start by calling Customer Service, and be very nice. See if they'll direct you to someone who can help. And don't give up. Yes, student loans are the absolute hardest negatives to fix, but difficult doesn't mean impossible. You never know when your tenacity might pay off.

Thanks, Delta. I appreciate your feedback... a LOT! Thank you. If nothing else, it gives me the motivation to give it a chance. It can't hurt.

At the time, I had zero income, my husband had zero income, and the forbearance (once I found out about it) really did help me so much for the next twelve months. It's now been approximately 14 months past the end of my forbearance and I have paid completely on time ever since. I could go on to mention the rest of my sob story (deaths, illnesses, just plain bad luck, etc.), but I think you get my point.

Lynn, I get what you're saying, but this is not a defense - it's asking them for a gesture of goodwill. Goodwill letters are based on exactly that premise. I.e., "I have no valid argument necessarily, I just messed up and didn't do what I was supposed to do". No, when I called, no one told me about forbearance - guess that CSR was having a bad day (or life, whatever). Lol. HOWEVER, it was my responsibility (at least in part) to do more research on my own. By the way Lynn, MANY creditors delete accurate information all the time based on just being kind to someone who went through a hard time due to unforeseen circumstances in life and has done right ever since.

So, anyway, Delta - thanks for the encouragement. It helps quite a bit to know that it's at least possible, even if not likely. It also seems as though you had good experiences with entry-level CSRs, which is also great news. I'd love to see this turn into a positive account instead of a "pays as agreed" but with significant lates.

#7 LynnInMN

LynnInMN

CB Student Loan Guru

• Forum Leads
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:33 PM

This is not DOE policy especially with a retroactive forebearance. I believe this policy is somewhere on the DOE's website. Someone screwed up...not trying to be cruel but those lates could return if the account is audited.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.