Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

mom charged...damned if ya do , damned if ya dont

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 TeeSharice

TeeSharice

ModSquad

• Mod Squad
  • 20,393 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

http://www.14news.co...miles-to-school

Mom charged after forcing 10-yr-old to walk 4.5 miles to school
Posted: Feb 15, 2012 7:39 PM EST Updated: Feb 16, 2012 6:43 AM EST
By Will DuPree, Video Journalist - bio | email

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) The Jonesboro Police Department says a mother put her 10-year-old son in danger, forcing him to walk almost five miles to school as punishment.

Police cited Valerie Borders, 34, on Monday for endangering the welfare of a minor in the second degree.

Officers determined Borders forced her son to make a 4.5-mile trek to school from their home at Fairview Drive. Nequavion Borders, 10, had recently lost his bus-riding privileges for the fifth time from MicroSociety magnet school, located at 1110 West Washington.

His mother sent him to school on foot Monday as punishment for the repeated suspensions. He only made it a few blocks before he was picked up by police.

"She did the right thing," Nequavion said. "She knew that I had been suspended off the bus five days, so she didn't do nothing wrong. She made me walk. I just had to walk. They shouldn't have picked me up. I could've walked by myself."

Valerie Borders did not want to make a comment, but she did allow her son to speak on her behalf exclusively to Region 8 News. He says he now realizes why his mother wanted to teach him a lesson and "not to just get on the bus and act a fool."

Nequavion made it to the busy intersection of Highland and Stadium and crossed the Liberty Bank parking lot. A security guard approached the boy, apparently surprised to see a child in the area alone.

"Anytime you see a child out walking like that, ask yourself a question is that safe for the child?" Sgt. Lyle Waterworth with Jonesboro Police said. "If you wouldn't want your child doing it, we probably don't need somebody else's child doing it."

Waterworth says the guard did the right thing by calling police. According to the police report, when officers arrived, the boy asked them, "Please don't take me home, mother will beat me." He also told police that he was advised not to stop walking or talk to anyone until he made it to school.

Police drove the boy to school and then paid a visit to his mother, who was at home on vacation from work. Police wrote Valerie Borders a ticket and gave her a court date.

She will appear in Craighead County District Court on Monday, February 27. If convicted she could face up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Borders' son, however, said he does not want his mother to get into trouble for him misbehaving. He says he knows now to behave better on the bus.

"She should not be going to court," Nequavion said. "I learned my lesson. That was me that was getting suspended off the bus."

Region 8 News will continue to track this story and provide any updates, as they become available.

Copyright 2012 KAIT. All rights reserved.

#2 Tigz

Tigz
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

Well.....humph....not sure what to say.

I can't imagine making my DD walk 4 1/2 miles to school, alone, by herself.

Although, I could see making her walk the last mile or mile and 1/2 with me walking a distance behind her (50 - 100 feet or so) to where she is "alone"....but not alone.

#3 starz2754

starz2754
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

Trying to teach your kids is such a double edged sword. I like the Mom's idea, myself. Sounds like the kid learned that he has to 'act accordingly' to have the right to ride the bus. Hope this story is updated because I'd probably toss in some cash to Mom if she does get fined for trying to teach her young heathen how to behave in public.

#4 blackberry74

blackberry74
  • Members
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

Sounds like Nequavion had more sense than the security guard or the cops. I don't have a problem with it. He wouldn't have been walking had he not acted a fool and lost his bus privileges. :dntknw:

#5 deluxmary2000

deluxmary2000
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

Hmmmm... I actually don't know how I feel about this.

#6 giraffy

giraffy

Perfect

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Hmmmm... I actually don't know how I feel about this.

Same :lol:

In theory, I don't hate it. I think 4.5 miles is a bit far for that age, but it sure won't kill him.

I guess it would really depend on the area and the safety of where the kid was walking. If it was a sketchy area, or the road was super busy, etc, I'd probably follow in my car if possible. :dntknw:

Sounds like Nequavion had more sense than the security guard or the cops. I don't have a problem with it. He wouldn't have been walking had he not acted a fool and lost his bus privileges. :dntknw:

Yes! :lol:

#7 TeeSharice

TeeSharice

ModSquad

• Mod Squad
  • 20,393 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

there are some 10 year olds, like mine, who I wouldnt have walked... my 12 year old... yeah, 2 years ago his ass woulda walked...

most mamas know what the kid can handle... this lil urchin was more worried about getting a spanking than walking...as he shouldve been..... had his mama tapped that butt, they wouldve charged her with abuse...

damn if she did or didnt...

after 5 times getting suspended, he woulda been walking 4 miles, in the snow, barefoot, uphill both if it were ME, ways...

#8 cljohnr

cljohnr
  • Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

had recently lost his bus-riding privileges for the fifth time

Not feeling much sympathy for ol mom here.

#9 TeeSharice

TeeSharice

ModSquad

• Mod Squad
  • 20,393 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

had recently lost his bus-riding privileges for the fifth time

Not feeling much sympathy for ol mom here.

why come??

#10 i8thegreenbean

i8thegreenbean
  • Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

Good grief. What happened to the parenting standards our parents had? Why is it suddenly considered abuse? :dntknw:

I'm not sure if I would have had a 10 year old walk almost 5 miles alone, but I would have *definitely* made the rugrat *think* they were walking 5 miles alone. <_< I probably would have followed in my car, with the heater on full blast jamming to tunes.

#11 Bad Doctor Frost

Bad Doctor Frost

Audi-mobile guy

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

Making your kid walk gets a charge, but a dirty redneck shooting up a computer gets praise. I no longer want to live in this country. It's embarrassing.

#12 Nemeweh

Nemeweh

Official CB Party Planner

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

Good grief. What happened to the parenting standards our parents had? Why is it suddenly considered abuse? :dntknw:

I'm not sure if I would have had a 10 year old walk almost 5 miles alone, but I would have *definitely* made the rugrat *think* they were walking 5 miles alone. <_< I probably would have followed in my car, with the heater on full blast jamming to tunes.

I like this.

Making your kid walk gets a charge, but a dirty redneck shooting up a computer gets praise. I no longer want to live in this country. It's embarrassing.

,,|,,
:glare:

#13 Bad Doctor Frost

Bad Doctor Frost

Audi-mobile guy

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

,,|,,

Sometimes I want to hug you.

#14 giraffy

giraffy

Perfect

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

,,|,,

:rofl:

#15 orangecrush

orangecrush

Goddess of the Jacksonville Tourism Bureau

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

That "dirty redneck" honorably served this country as a Marine.

If you don't want to live in this country, the Canadian border is close to you.

#16 giraffy

giraffy

Perfect

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

Isn't he already IN Canada? :unsure:

#17 Bad Doctor Frost

Bad Doctor Frost

Audi-mobile guy

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

I couldn't care less if he was a marine. They're people too, and can be just as stupid as anyone else. Probably worse, because they think they're owed something and can get away with it. Anyone who has a temper like that, and then wonders why their daughter is like that, has to be lacking come core gray matter between the ears.

This woman? I see nothing wrong with what she did. Her own child sees nothing wrong with what she did. She wanted to teach her kid a lesson. The redneck just wanted his five minutes of fame.

#18 5ofus

5ofus
  • Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

I couldn't care less if he was a marine. They're people too, and can be just as stupid as anyone else. Probably worse, because they think they're owed something and can get away with it. Anyone who has a temper like that, and then wonders why their daughter is like that, has to be lacking come core gray matter between the ears.

This woman? I see nothing wrong with what she did. Her own child sees nothing wrong with what she did. She wanted to teach her kid a lesson. The redneck just wanted his five minutes of fame.

:o

#19 Nemeweh

Nemeweh

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

,,|,,

I know. It's hard to be humble when youre a sexy bit'o marshmallow fluff. :grin:

#20 Bad Doctor Frost

Bad Doctor Frost

Audi-mobile guy

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

,,|,,

I know. It's hard to be humble when youre a sexy bit'o marshmallow fluff. :grin:

I've got nothing wrong with marshmallows. They're delicious. :unsure:

#21 Nemeweh

Nemeweh

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

,,|,,

I've got nothing wrong with marshmallows. They're delicious. :unsure:

And you know it!!

#22 sirrowan

sirrowan
  • Members
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

I'm thinking that this is just ridiculous to charge this woman. I'm not sure I can add anything that hasn't already be said, but yeah...damned if you do, damned if ya don't!!!

Even the kid agreed with his mother. It's a fitting punishment for being kicked off the bus 5 times. It wouldn't surprise me if she kept threatening to do this. Fifth time's a charm!!!

I'm hoping she has the funds for an attorney. I'd be willing to throw in some cash for this.... :good:

I'm so sick of others trying to impose their parenting beliefs on others. GTFOH with that isht. :glare:

#23 Pam

Pam

Site Owner

• Admin
  • 12,093 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

You're a fucking moron.

#24 TeeSharice

TeeSharice

ModSquad

• Mod Squad
  • 20,393 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

between Pam & i8thegreenbean, Im just bubbling with joy.... who needs a husband when I could have those 2 chicks

#25 sirrowan

sirrowan
  • Members
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

:mellow:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.