Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Settlement w/ Hooters...Opinions Please

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MsDana

MsDana
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

After weeks of working on my repairing my credit and having that darn Hooter's charge-off staring at me, I bit the dust and called them about a settlement.

The representative was very nice and offered a lump sum payment for settlement of $467.00 (original amount is $1.347). He even offered to let me make 3 monthly payments. He is sending the full agreement in the mail today for me to sign and fax back.

He said that once I pay this lump sum, the account will reflect "Settled in Full" instead of "Charged Off". My question is this: Will this change in status help my credit score since the account is over 4 years old?

#2 IheartLoopHoles

IheartLoopHoles
  • Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

It won't say settled in full unless you pay the full amount. It will likely say settled for less than full amount. They can even sell the balance to a CA, so it will continue to haunt you, or they could send you a (1099?) tax form so that you will have to claim the remaining balance on your taxes.

Most people say don't settle unless you can get a PFD, since a paid charge-off has just as bad affect on your credit as an unpaid one.

I would suggest pay nothing unless they agree, in writing, to delete it.

#3 MsDana

MsDana
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

I already asked for a PFD. However, the rep did specifically state that once I pay the settlement of $467, the status will read "Settled in Full" instead of "Charge Off". Trust me, I know when to ask for specifics.

I will have to wait until I get the agreement letter from him before I pay anything. If the agreement is not as he stated, I simply won't pay.

#4 IheartLoopHoles

IheartLoopHoles
  • Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

As long as you realize that paying it will likely have zero affect on your scores, which I thought was your original question. Good luck!

#5 MsDana

MsDana
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

Ahhh! That's the answer I was looking for!!! :) I wasn't entirely sure it would have a positive effect on my scores since it's that old. Thanks!

#6 IheartLoopHoles

IheartLoopHoles
  • Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

It's not the age that prevents paying it from helping you, it's the status. A paid charge off does pretty much the same damage as an unpaid one. As they get older, their affect on your scores gets weaker. But a charge off is a charge off is a charge off. Paying it is like putting lipstick on a pig! :)

The only reasons I could see for paying it is 1) if your morals/ethics dictate that you must or 2) you are trying to buy a house that will likely make you pay it anyway.

#7 MsDana

MsDana
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

Ok, now I'm confused.... LOL

If the status changes from "Charge off" to "Settled in Full", it wouldn't be a charge off anymore, right? If I'm not correct, then I certainly am not going to put any lipstick on a pig :grin:

#8 MsDana

MsDana
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:59 PM

Gonna bump this for my clarity. This was charged-off in 2008, so am I understanding that whether I pay it or not, it won't help my credit scores?

#9 Repairerer

Repairerer

Bump Influence Scroll Keeper IV

• Members
  • 6,343 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

If it's affecting your utilization, then that's the only way paying it is going to help much.

#10 MsDana

MsDana
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

Thanks, Repairerer. My util is 7%, so it doesn't seem like it will help unless I decide to buy a house! LOL

#11 knightimer

knightimer
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:18 AM

Why don't you ask the creditor for a PFD?

#12 radi8

radi8
  • Admin
  • 27,301 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:07 AM

Ok, now I'm confused.... LOL

If the status changes from "Charge off" to "Settled in Full", it wouldn't be a charge off anymore, right? If I'm not correct, then I certainly am not going to put any lipstick on a pig :grin:

It will always be a charge off. If you pay it, it will be a paid charge off. FICO couldn't care less if it's paid or unpaid, the fact it was charged off is what hurts- but human reviewers do care.
If you owe it and you feel the settlement is fair, pay it and move on. Get an agreement that it is settled IN FULL, with no balance to be sold or collected. If you can work in improved reporting, go for it.
Your scores won't change either way, but your report will look better on human review, and you won't have to worry about it bouncing from collector to collector once they sell it.
That is the real danger, the JDB's waiting in the wings. The OC's tradeline will age but the collectors they eventually sell it to will place new negatives that are nice and fresh. Sometimes paying a settlement prevents a big fat mess you'll have to clean up later.

#13 MsDana

MsDana
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

Why don't you ask the creditor for a PFD?

I already did, and he said no. I even asked a "manager" and she, too, said no.

Thanks, radi8. I am going to wait until I get the settlement letter where the represented stated that the account would read "Settled in Full".

#14 Gronnie

Gronnie
  • Members
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

It's not just going to read "Settled in Full", it will also say "-was a charge off.)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.