Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Anyone have any luck getting WaMu to delete old debt?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 UmmNyla

UmmNyla
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

Hey Everybody...

My husband has an old debt with Wamu (Washington Mutual....now Chase) from about four years ago. It's only $170 or so, so we can easily pay it, but I'm wondering if it's worth it? If we pay it, and Wamu refuses to delete it off of his report, shouldn't we just wait until the SOL runs out? We are trying to get a joint checking account, and have had trouble because of this debt. I'm wondering if we should pay it, request deletion, (probably) get denied and just appeal to one of those banks/credit unions who are a bit more lenient...or just go with an online bank that doesn't use Chexsystems and let the SOL run out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

#2 FCRAfun

FCRAfun
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:14 AM

All you need to do is go to www.helpwithmybank.gov and file a complaint. WaMu is now Chase, so when chase gets the complaint a very friendly executive from Chase will personally call you so make sure you pick up the phone. Explain to them, the situation.. Im sure your account was sequenced in any order we choose... chase will send you a copy of the actual terms wamu had given you..

But, in the interest of customer service Chase will settle your debt only for the actual amount you in fact did owe and zero out your fees. Then they will remove you from Chex, and let you open an account at Chase!

Very professional! Office of the Comptroller of the Currency. Honestly chase was better than they were.

Hey Everybody...

My husband has an old debt with Wamu (Washington Mutual....now Chase) from about four years ago. It's only $170 or so, so we can easily pay it, but I'm wondering if it's worth it? If we pay it, and Wamu refuses to delete it off of his report, shouldn't we just wait until the SOL runs out? We are trying to get a joint checking account, and have had trouble because of this debt. I'm wondering if we should pay it, request deletion, (probably) get denied and just appeal to one of those banks/credit unions who are a bit more lenient...or just go with an online bank that doesn't use Chexsystems and let the SOL run out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

#3 legalchick83

legalchick83
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:57 AM

All you need to do is go to www.helpwithmybank.gov and file a complaint. WaMu is now Chase, so when chase gets the complaint a very friendly executive from Chase will personally call you so make sure you pick up the phone. Explain to them, the situation.. Im sure your account was sequenced in any order we choose... chase will send you a copy of the actual terms wamu had given you..

But, in the interest of customer service Chase will settle your debt only for the actual amount you in fact did owe and zero out your fees. Then they will remove you from Chex, and let you open an account at Chase!

Very professional! Office of the Comptroller of the Currency. Honestly chase was better than they were.

Hey Everybody...

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

So when you say that they will zero out any fees, are you talking about all the NSF charges incurred by WaMu at the time? I had opened an account with WaMu and was told that the account was 'absolutely free' checking with free checks, depositing only $20.00 to start. I ordered checks online and was told that all checks except the 'super premium' were free. In the interim, I had purchased 20 different items, or so, from eBay at $0.01 each and paid via my new checking account through PayPal. A couple of days later, the check order for approximately $25.00 hit my account, leaving the account negative $5.00. At the same time, the 20 $0.01 charges came out, thereby leaving a total of $5.20 in negative charges. THEN - they charged me 21 NSF charges of $30 each, leaving my account $630+ negative!! Immediately, I called them to fix the problem. Customer Service told me that there was nothing that they could do about the fees, as the checks chosen were not included in the "free" checks. I told them that there was no way to determine which checks were not free, aside from those that were said to be not, namely the super premium. I asked them to cancel the order and they said that it was too late. I then asked about reversals of the $630 in fees charged on the 1 cent transactions. Again, they declined to do anything about it. This happened somewhere around 2006. Would I really only need to pay the ACTUAL negative amount of $5.20? This Chexsystem entry has had a huge negative impact on my ability to open another account. I have become established with a credit union, via opening a savings account for 6 months and then a limited checking, etc. I would like to open another account in another institution, however, I was recently declined due to Chexsystems. Seems unfair :-\

#4 nitenrz

nitenrz
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

Still has me in cheksystem hell.

#5 James.Von

James.Von
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

I was told that they would mark it as paid but I would still need to wait for my 5 year term to be over.. I decided to wait for the stache of limitation of my state to kick in instead.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.