Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Should We Settle, or Still Try Pay For Delete?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tigga

Tigga
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

My girlfriend had a debt with Capital One that was transferred to a collection agency. She received a letter today stating that they would accept a $187 payment to clear the $747 debt. She would like to do this, but I'm thinking I've seen on here in the past that you should always ask for a "pay for delete" before settling. She called the collection agency to ask about this, and they told her they couldn't do it but that the account would go from being a negative one to a positive one if it was paid off. Before she pays, I just wanted to make sure this was the best option and that there wasn't anything else we should try to ask for, so any advice would be appreciated.

#2 Done deal

Done deal
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

My girlfriend had a debt with Capital One that was transferred to a collection agency. She received a letter today stating that they would accept a $187 payment to clear the $747 debt. She would like to do this, but I'm thinking I've seen on here in the past that you should always ask for a "pay for delete" before settling. She called the collection agency to ask about this, and they told her they couldn't do it but that the account would go from being a negative one to a positive one if it was paid off. Before she pays, I just wanted to make sure this was the best option and that there wasn't anything else we should try to ask for, so any advice would be appreciated.

Get what they say in writing.

#3 by2

by2
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

Yes the account can be settled and it will most likely update on your reports that debt was settled for less than the amount due, and it will reflect under negative accounts. I agree with the member above get a letter from them saying that they would delete the record from your reports, if not it will remain until SOL.

#4 Tigga

Tigga
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but when she called the collection agency said they could NOT offer a pay for delete. They said if she paid though the account would go from a negative to a positive, but that's something I haven't really heard of. Granted I don't know a ton about how all this works as I've only had one issue in the past myself, so that's why I wanted to help make sure she was doing the right thing.
So, should the collection agency be able to offer a pay for delete no matter what? If so, then I'm thinking we should hold out until they're willing to do that.

#5 reklaw01

reklaw01
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but when she called the collection agency said they could NOT offer a pay for delete. They said if she paid though the account would go from a negative to a positive, but that's something I haven't really heard of. Granted I don't know a ton about how all this works as I've only had one issue in the past myself, so that's why I wanted to help make sure she was doing the right thing.
So, should the collection agency be able to offer a pay for delete no matter what? If so, then I'm thinking we should hold out until they're willing to do that.

I have an account with Capital One also. Sent PFD to their CA (CBE Group) but no response. So I called them (yes, I know risky to get on a call with a CA). My PFD was for 30% of original bal of $530. Over the phone, they agreed to $220 (no idea how they arrived at that figure) after some discussion but would not agree to remove with CRA's. I even went so far as to ask if they would agree to non-disclosure to CRA's (so that I could then dispute it and they couldn't respond to validation)....no go. So called OC and since account is closed and charged off, they turned me back to CA!
I'd go so far as to pay the entire amount if it meant a deletion from TL's....doesn't anyone want $$$?

Ideas?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.