Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Tax Refunds

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 hotmama973355

hotmama973355
  • Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:53 AM

Are people Getting their tax refunds already? I was at NFCU and the person in front of me was asking refund already posted he said it was suppose to be deposited on the first. I Just received my w2 today how fast is the IRS doing refunds these days?

#2 Frank13

Frank13
  • Members
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:10 AM

As far I know refunds which are e-filed and accepted by Monday are deposited on the following Friday. I do not know if these processing standards have changed.

#3 disnugaswagg

disnugaswagg
  • Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:22 AM

As far I know refunds which are e-filed and accepted by Monday are deposited on the following Friday. I do not know if these processing standards have changed.

Did mine last Monday and got it on Thursday. 4 days total.....

#4 lucky4

lucky4

Bump Influence LII

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:51 AM

We used to file early every January and get our refund fast, provided that we had received all of our 1099s and other forms swiftly. That was when companies were required to send them out before the end of January. However, that all changed with the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008. That law changed the IRS reporting deadline for brokerages to February 15. The last two years we have had to wait until after the first two weeks of February to file.

Bummer. :(

#5 Repairerer

Repairerer

Bump Influence Scroll Keeper IV

• Members
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:52 AM

I can't remember the last time I got a tax refund.

#6 disnugaswagg

disnugaswagg
  • Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:54 AM

Are u serious?

#7 Repairerer

Repairerer

• Members
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:58 AM

Are u serious?

Actually, I do remember because I still have the check. It's for $2. Sometime in the early 2000s.

#8 disnugaswagg

disnugaswagg
  • Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:06 AM

Are u serious?

Actually, I do remember because I still have the check. It's for $2. Sometime in the early 2000s.

Wow, lol..... Ive always gotten a refund. This year was my lowest return in 6 years.

#9 wandjust

wandjust
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:08 AM

I filed mine on the 24th, it was accepted on the 25th, and I already received my refund in my bank on 2/1. It was pretty quick.

#10 Repairerer

Repairerer

• Members
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:08 AM

Are u serious?

Wow, lol..... Ive always gotten a refund. This year was my lowest return in 6 years.

Ever considered adjusting your W-4 so that you control your own money all year instead of providing an interest-free loan to the government?

#11 lucky4

lucky4

Bump Influence LII

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:31 AM

Ever considered adjusting your W-4 so that you control your own money all year instead of providing an interest-free loan to the government?

I agree with you. However, I think some people enjoy having a refund at tax time - especially those who are not good savers. For those individuals, the slightly extra amount being withheld generally would be used as disposable income on a week to week basis (had it not been withheld). I can see how they would prefer a nice little refund.

Also, you have to consider some are fearful of penalties for underwithholding / underpayment on estimated taxes as well as risking the IRS contact their employer if the issue persists. Then there are others, like myself, who have to deal with AMT, unpredictable revenue streams, and planning for various capital gains being realized during the calendar year. Lots of headaches are avoided by safely overwitholding, at least in some situations.

#12 disnugaswagg

disnugaswagg
  • Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:38 AM

Are u serious?

I have thought about it, but I kinda like a little extra monetary boost at the beginning of the year.

#13 beli

beli
  • Members
  • 8,922 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:08 AM

My status says the 7th according to the IRS website, but it was accepted on the 22nd.. so we'll see tomorrow if it's deposited.. like the OP Tax Act said the 1st but expect it between 48-72hrs after it was deposited. Still no status on State and they've had it accepted over a week now.

Edited by beli, 02 February 2012 - 06:10 AM.

#14 iWhat

iWhat

Bump Influence XXXIII

• Members
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:22 AM

Me too!

#15 AKAGeorgiaGirl

AKAGeorgiaGirl
  • Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:44 AM

Efiled on the 25th, and the refund was in my account yesterday.

#16 butterflywings

butterflywings

She Tries

• Members
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:45 AM

Most of these large refunds have nothing to do with withholding. It's the Child Tax Credit and the EITC, and those cannot be taken out of the paycheck throughout the year to give the filer a smaller refund at the end of the year.

I am sure that those receiving these refunds would prefer to be in a larger tax bracket and thus not qualify for the refunds in the first place.

I won't say anything further because it would delve into politics.

#17 brobins75

brobins75
  • Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:53 AM

yeah, screw a refund. i dont want to give up my cash, interest free, for the year. I would rather owe. last year i owed $1500. i forgot to adjust my w4. but this year i got it the closest i ever got. I am receiving an $89 refund. thats pretty close to zero.

my wife is always complaining how everyone else gets these big refunds and we get nothing. i try to explain to her that those people are sending there money to an interest free account. i said if you want, take the tax out of our checks and deposit it in a cd or something. then at tax time, take it out! at least you get the 1% or whatever bs it is now. but i'd rather keep my $$ in my pocket.

#18 beli

beli
  • Members
  • 8,922 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

Most of these large refunds have nothing to do with withholding. It's the Child Tax Credit and the EITC, and those cannot be taken out of the paycheck throughout the year to give the filer a smaller refund at the end of the year.

I am sure that those receiving these refunds would prefer to be in a larger tax bracket and thus not qualify for the refunds in the first place.

Mine is tax credits for going back to school. I won't have this large of refund next year. With my case I'd rather put zero and get a refund then trying to figure out how much witholding I need then at the end of the year screw myself with having to owe. I did that with my first job and screwed myself up and ending up having to owe. Ever since then I've just put zero. Still no deposit.. usually its there by now if I'm gonna get one that day.

Edited by beli, 02 February 2012 - 08:11 AM.

#19 road2freedom

road2freedom

Bump Influence XXXII

• Members
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

Well, actually if you knew what credits you qualify for, you could adjust your withholding manually. The only people that couldn't really do this are those that make almost nothing and get big chunks back from the gov't. Working at Jackson-Hewitt was nauseating some days...

#20 road2freedom

road2freedom

Bump Influence XXXII

• Members
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:25 AM

Mine is tax credits for going back to school. I won't have this large of refund next year. With my case I'd rather put zero and get a refund then trying to figure out how much witholding I need then at the end of the year screw myself with having to owe. I did that with my first job and screwed myself up and ending up having to owe. Ever since then I've just put zero. Still no deposit.. usually its there by now if I'm gonna get one that day.

I think the point he was making is you can still save the money, but to save it in your own account rather than the IRS piggy bank. You would however have to make sure you wouldn't get dinged for underpayment or make estimated quarterly payments.. and many people just don't want to deal with that, understandably.

#21 beli

beli
  • Members
  • 8,922 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:49 AM

I think the point he was making is you can still save the money, but to save it in your own account rather than the IRS piggy bank. You would however have to make sure you wouldn't get dinged for underpayment or make estimated quarterly payments.. and many people just don't want to deal with that, understandably.

I thought estimated quaterly payements were mostly for those who owned their own business?

#22 road2freedom

road2freedom

Bump Influence XXXII

• Members
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

Nope, individuals can be expected to make quarterly payments too if their withholding is not enough to satisfy certain portions of their tax bill.

Edit: Here's more info http://www.irs.gov/b...=110413,00.html

Edited by road2freedom, 02 February 2012 - 10:15 AM.

#23 nerve64

nerve64
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

Are people Getting their tax refunds already? I was at NFCU and the person in front of me was asking refund already posted he said it was suppose to be deposited on the first. I Just received my w2 today how fast is the IRS doing refunds these days?

IRS e-file refund cycle chart

http://www.irs.gov/p...s-pdf/p2043.pdf

#24 Mortgagase

Mortgagase
  • Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

E-Filed on Jan 17 and received refund on Jan 31.

#25 beli

beli
  • Members
  • 8,922 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:02 AM

IRS e-file refund cycle chart

http://www.irs.gov/p...s-pdf/p2043.pdf

That's a bunch of crock.. because my tax refund was accepted by 11am on the 23rd and I STILL don't have my refund as of 5am today. IRS website says the 7th. According to the chart I should have had it two days ago. I'm going to call when I get to work if I still don't have it and find out what the hold up is and why I don't have it yet.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.