Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Form 1099-C

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yugin

yugin
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

We sold our home last year in short sale. Today we've received 1099-C. I am not sure about the numbers they reported. Our loan/mortgage amount was about $205,000. House was sold for $168,000. Form 1099-C says amount of debt cancelled $12,890 and fair market value $149,100.
Is amount of debt cancelled supposed to be 205,000-168,000=37,000 ? Or that is not that simple?

#2 jmw1212

jmw1212
  • Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:48 AM

I had several of those unfortunately this year and another next year. I am in chapter 7 bankruptcy so this may effect things different... anyway:
I called my CPA and the way I understand it is this: you start off with a basis (what you paid and have in the property) then you have the foreclosure sale and it sells for much less. You now have a deficiency, which gets 1099's as income.(if your in bankruptcy it should be forgiven though) Basically, you take the amount you purchased it for, add anything you have done to the property, that becomes your "basis" Then you take the 1099 charge off and the difference becomes your loss or profit. In our case and yours is was a loss, so the amount you lost will be added to your tax return up to 3,000 per year, it will continue until you have expended all that you have lost.To make it easier to understand, if you have a loss from what you put into the property, you should have a tax write off up to $3,000 per year until it's used up. GL

PS: It sounds like the 1099 should have been for the deficiency of $37,000. That's the way it works here in GA, I don't quite understand the FMV. I would like to hear what others suggest on this one:) Keep me posted:)

We sold our home last year in short sale. Today we've received 1099-C. I am not sure about the numbers they reported. Our loan/mortgage amount was about $205,000. House was sold for $168,000. Form 1099-C says amount of debt cancelled $12,890 and fair market value $149,100.
Is amount of debt cancelled supposed to be 205,000-168,000=37,000 ? Or that is not that simple?

Edited by jmw1212, 28 January 2012 - 01:55 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.