Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

I made a mistake, I paid off my credit cards

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 learning the hard way

learning the hard way
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:26 AM

I recently recieved some unexpected money. I decided to pay off my credit cards. I thought since my ex wife has/is ruined/ruining my credit I could raise my score by showing a small balance again. I was applying the same stuff I learned on this board back in 04 when we filed BK. I figured I would pay off the cards and then charge the groceries for the rest of the month. A couple of days after I paid them off I tried to use one of them... DECLINED. WTF, I thought, so I checked the online status. They both showed the payment, but said that I had 0 balance available. I called they said they put a 7-10 day hold on the payment because it was so large. After waiting 7-10 days I called them back to find out why they had not released the hold. They used my last $33.00 that was available to cover my $39.00 annual fee. In anger, I said just cancel the card, and they did close it. Then, I called the other card to see what I could get out of them. They said that due to my recent credit report, they closed my account.

Now, I have very little money and no credit card.

#2 KYBOSH

KYBOSH
  • Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

Wow... I dont have anything useful that might help you right now. A would just encourage you to use this opportunity to refamilarize yourself with the fundamentals and strive be more patient.

Good luck!

#3 by2

by2
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:21 AM

Yes, I totally agree with the last person, credit is something that you must really think about before acting or reacting. No more spur of the moment decisions from me again! Going thru this experience at this stage in my life has changed my thinking 100%. Think about what you really need and things will work out!!

#4 groze

groze
  • Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

Have your tried apply for another card on your own? I would suggest the wal-mart card in person.

Normally, I would advise against this. If you have overdraft coverage and you are short until you next payday. I would take an overdraft out for the amount you need and can pay back, plus the fee. That is only if you are starving. Use the atm from you bank to do this. Make sure you don't have any autopayment or checks coming in to avoid additional over draft charges.

Edited by groze, 18 March 2012 - 03:14 PM.

#5 LogicalNoMore

LogicalNoMore
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

I recently recieved some unexpected money. I decided to pay off my credit cards. I thought since my ex wife has/is ruined/ruining my credit I could raise my score by showing a small balance again. I was applying the same stuff I learned on this board back in 04 when we filed BK. I figured I would pay off the cards and then charge the groceries for the rest of the month. A couple of days after I paid them off I tried to use one of them... DECLINED. WTF, I thought, so I checked the online status. They both showed the payment, but said that I had 0 balance available. I called they said they put a 7-10 day hold on the payment because it was so large. After waiting 7-10 days I called them back to find out why they had not released the hold. They used my last $33.00 that was available to cover my $39.00 annual fee. In anger, I said just cancel the card, and they did close it. Then, I called the other card to see what I could get out of them. They said that due to my recent credit report, they closed my account.

Now, I have very little money and no credit card.

Bolded area is very important- If you had followed the agreement to a T- (meaning no past dues or exceeding limit) then its extremely odd that they randomly closed your account due to another account. Did they notify you first of the closing- in writing? All my credit card companies I deal with strictly have procedures for notifying holders of any major changes....be it interest rate increase, credit limit, days in cycle, There are varying parameters that the consumer is to be contacted PRIOR to immediate CLOSING or within five days of. Fraud theft/Identity theft is the only time where they immediately closed my account. Within two days ( Fedex) I received their letter to inform of this consumer request)

What does your terms/conditions say on closing account and how they contact you?

#6 FlyingRon

FlyingRon
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

I've had unreasonable cards and I tell them I have the scissors in my hand and they can be reasoanble or we can close the account. Only got called on that once.
Note, I no longer have a discover card.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.