Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Gamestop refused to sell to my daughter without ID

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 KatieBell

KatieBell
  • Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

My daughter is 17 years old and earns money through babysitting and as an allowance. Her earnings are deposited in a student checking account and she spends her money with a debit card from NFCU.

The NFCU card must be swiped as credit for POS transactions. While holiday shopping, she was reapeatedly asked for her ID but most places still allowed her to purchase even though she didn't have one. However, at Gamestop, they told her that without an ID she would not be allowed to purchase a game using her card (the game was rated E, so it wasn't a matter of game rating.)

When she informed the store associate that it was against the Visa TOS for them to require an ID, they laughed at her and still denied her right to purchase. My MIL was with her and offered to pay for the game. She presented her own Visa card and was not asked for her ID.

I've been kind of simmering over it ever since. My daughter was embarrased and felt harrassed. She's just about the least confrontational person I know... so it took a lot for her to stand up for herself... and then to have them laugh at her and act like she was stupid. Grrr. It really ticks me off.

I really think that Gamestop and their employees need to be educated about Visa polices on this matter. Should I contact Gamestop's corporate office or should I contact Visa? And is there an address I should write to in order to bring this to their attention?

Thanks!

#2 luckydriver

luckydriver
  • Members
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

just as an aside, i thought the supreme court said kids can buy any game anyway?

stinks they did that too her, as long as it goes thru they get paid dont they?

#3 KatieBell

KatieBell
  • Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

just as an aside, i thought the supreme court said kids can buy any game anyway?

stinks they did that too her, as long as it goes thru they get paid dont they?

I don't know. We were shopping with her at Target recently and she was purchasing an R rated game for her boyfriend and they said they had to have an ID or the system wouldn't allow the sale, so I gave them my ID.

#4 groze

groze
  • Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

KatieBell

I know in some states it illegal to ask for a copy or ask you for a drivers license number.

How was she trying to purchase it with the debit card--credit or with a pin number? If she used it as a PIN they can not ask for ID. That is your "ID"

Edited by groze, 18 March 2012 - 03:01 PM.

#5 KatieBell

KatieBell
  • Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

KatieBell

I know in some states it illegal to ask for a copy or ask you for a drivers license number.

How was she trying to purchase it with the debit card--credit or with a pin number? If she used it as a PIN they can not ask for ID. That is your "ID"

She was using it as a credit card - it's a NFCU debit card and those can only be swiped as credit for POS.

#6 JTinNewYork

JTinNewYork
  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

All the Gamestop stores here ask for a photo ID where I live.

And the ID has to be gov't issued.

I have a photo on my cc and they refused to honor the charge because it is not a gov't issued ID! I told the guy how stupid is that my picture is on the face of the cc! He said it must be gov't issued ID or they can't accept it.

#7 KatieBell

KatieBell
  • Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

All the Gamestop stores here ask for a photo ID where I live.

And the ID has to be gov't issued.

I have a photo on my cc and they refused to honor the charge because it is not a gov't issued ID! I told the guy how stupid is that my picture is on the face of the cc! He said it must be gov't issued ID or they can't accept it.

If it was store policy that everyone had to show ID I would be fine with that, however, in our situation - after my daughter was denied the right to purchase, her grandmother purchased it for her, using a Visa card - and she was not asked for photo id.

We have since visited a different GameStop, and when my husband purchased a game with his Discover card, he was not asked for photo id.

#8 Need More RWHP

Need More RWHP
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

I really think that Gamestop and their employees need to be educated about Visa polices on this matter. Should I contact Gamestop's corporate office or should I contact Visa? And is there an address I should write to in order to bring this to their attention?

Make a publicity stink on Twitter and make a discrimination complaint with corporate that the clerk discriminated against your daughter for age or perceived social status by selectively requiring her to produce ID while not consistently doing so for older customers. Make sure you emphasize that she was made to feel like she was targeted like a criminal when they singled her out.

#9 slobooger

slobooger
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:14 PM

Easy way to get a girls address..... Just saying.... :yahoo:

On a side note, yeah, its a bit of a security violation.... Lots of pervs out there these days..... I'd take my business elsewhere. Nobody wants to end up a skin suit..... :swoon:

#10 rslifkin

rslifkin

Joseph C unchained

• CB JAIL
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

Easy way to get a girls address..... Just saying.... :yahoo:

On a side note, yeah, its a bit of a security violation.... Lots of pervs out there these days..... I'd take my business elsewhere. Nobody wants to end up a skin suit..... :swoon:

Is that a size 14?

#11 marqedsade

marqedsade

BI Grasshopper XVII

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:21 AM

From the web:

625 Westport Parkway

Grapevine, Tx 76051

817-424-2000

Paul Raines, CEO

#12 marqedsade

marqedsade

BI Grasshopper XVII

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:21 AM

Make a publicity stink on Twitter and make a discrimination complaint with corporate that the clerk discriminated against your daughter for age or perceived social status by selectively requiring her to produce ID while not consistently doing so for older customers. Make sure you emphasize that she was made to feel like she was targeted like a criminal when they singled her out.

+1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.