Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Found late father's DD214 and Discharge Papers today

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SparkyinCA

SparkyinCA
  • Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

My father was a Marine in the Korean War. Honorably discharged and all. We found his paperwork today 2 years after his passing. I know these are very important docs to keep. He kept them in his locked safe all these years (we just couldn't find the combination until now!).

What I wanted to find out is if there are any military based credit unions/banks that I might qualify for as his son (my older sister might be interested too)? I'm pretty sure we can't get into NFCU, but are there others that might be as well regarded to join?

Here's what I gleaned from the DD214:

He was a Private - Sergeant E-4 - Enlisted for 4 years - 0311 Rifleman
He received a good conduct medal
Transferred to Marine corp Reserve
Paid $100 MOP "Z" <--not sure if that means anything
Discharge - Honorable

Any suggestions if there are any benefits we should know about? Mom is still living. If I recall, she is entitled to some care benefits if she needs it (I take care of her after she moved in with me due to her age and health, but if something happens to me, it would be nice to know they might assist).

Would appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

Edited by SparkyinCA, 17 January 2012 - 02:59 PM.

#2 SparkyinCA

SparkyinCA
  • Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:22 PM

bump for evening crowd or should I move this to the Credit Forum for a better response?

#3 punkin49

punkin49
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

My father was a Marine in the Korean War. Honorably discharged and all. We found his paperwork today 2 years after his passing. I know these are very important docs to keep. He kept them in his locked safe all these years (we just couldn't find the combination until now!).

What I wanted to find out is if there are any military based credit unions/banks that I might qualify for as his son (my older sister might be interested too)? I'm pretty sure we can't get into NFCU, but are there others that might be as well regarded to join?

Discharge - Honorable

Any suggestions if there are any benefits we should know about? Mom is still living. If I recall, she is entitled to some care benefits if she needs it (I take care of her after she moved in with me due to her age and health, but if something happens to me, it would be nice to know they might assist).

#4 punkin49

punkin49
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

Discharge - Honorable

#5 NEWSTARTIN2013

NEWSTARTIN2013
  • Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:33 AM

Yes, your mom qualify for benefits just contact VA in your State and they will point you in the right direction. Also you guys do qualify for CU memberships thanks to your Dad serving.

#6 PotO

PotO
  • Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:24 AM

Yes, your mom qualify for benefits just contact VA in your State and they will point you in the right direction. Also you guys do qualify for CU memberships thanks to your Dad serving.

Depends on the CU. Not Navy Federal.

#7 SparkyinCA

SparkyinCA
  • Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

Thanks for the info...Any idea what my Mom might be qualified for? VA is closed today (Sunday). Just curious what they might be able to help her with. She is 77 yrs old and

I take care of her 24/7 at home, but at some point, I probably won't be able to if her health declines much more.

#8 PotO

PotO
  • Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:14 AM

Thanks for the info...Any idea what my Mom might be qualified for? VA is closed today (Sunday). Just curious what they might be able to help her with. She is 77 yrs old and
I take care of her 24/7 at home, but at some point, I probably won't be able to if her health declines much more.

VA Aid & Attendance Pension. Must have under $80k in assets excluding home and vehicle.

Must have served for at least 90 days between June 27, 1950, and January 31, 1955.

#9 SparkyinCA

SparkyinCA
  • Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

VA Aid & Attendance Pension. Must have under $80k in assets excluding home and vehicle.

Must have served for at least 90 days between June 27, 1950, and January 31, 1955.

Excellent! Thank you again :) Dad served from 1953-1961. The majority of Mom's assets are in a revocable trust so she probably meets the criteria. I'll contact VA and start some paperwork now before she needs it so things are in place ahead of time.

Edited by SparkyinCA, 29 April 2013 - 09:21 AM.

#10 PotO

PotO
  • Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

Excellent! Thank you again :) Dad served from 1953-1961. The majority of Mom's assets are in a revocable trust so she probably meets the criteria. I'll contact VA and start some paperwork now before she needs it so things are in place ahead of time.

That's a good idea. When dealing with the VA, best to count on delays so starting early is good.

#11 GrannyLinny

GrannyLinny
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

Aid and Attendance is great if she becomes disabled, which we all will if we stay around.

But there is something else that is little known about. It's called Special Benefit. It will pay a very nice amount for a small apartment in an independent living center (NOT a nursing home) to keep Mom from having to go to assisted living or to "the home".

The one my Mom lived in served 3 meals a day in the dining room, had trips every day on the short bus, had a rec area, big TV room, and lots of social areas. it is not for people who can't take care of themselves, they must be well enough to live in their small apartment alone, but with backup just a buzzer away.

The VA paid a SUBSTANTIAL amount for this. Our vets and widows deserve it!

Don't wait to find about about these programs. The VA is slow.

#12 Jnavarro

Jnavarro
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

NFCU is sometimes weird, I know to get an account you have to be immediate family but thats not always the case I think some branch locations might have leniancy I had two friends open an account there. I guessed I "sponsored" them they were just regular guys not affliated to the military at all

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.