Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

so Red....about that cruise to Italy...

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 TeeSharice

TeeSharice

ModSquad

• Mod Squad
  • 20,391 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:16 AM

I'd also love a cruise that went around Italy.

I wonder if the prices drip after an accident like this??

I was just reading this on Yahoo a few minutes ago

http://news.yahoo.co...-035356831.html
Three die as cruise ship runs aground in Italy

PORTO SANTO STEFANO, Italy (Reuters) - At least three people were killed and rescuers were searching for other victims on Saturday after an Italian cruise ship carrying more than 4,000 people ran aground and keeled over.

A rescue operation involving lifeboats, ships and helicopters was continuing hours after the 114,500-tonne Costa Concordia hit a sandbar near the island of Giglio on Friday evening. Photographs showed a large gash along its side.

#2 direred

direred
  • Bloggers
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:21 AM

OMG, that's horrible!

Costa's usually such a reliable line, too.

I always wanted to go on one that started in Rome and ended in Venice (though I more commonly see them going the other way). I'd like one that took 10 to 14 days rather than the one-week rush.

#3 iH8cra

iH8cra

Owner, Y chromosome

• Members
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:56 AM

My parents were talking about taking a cruise in italy. I don't get it though. Wouldn't it be cooler to actually be in italy for those 10 days and travel to all those places instead of being on a cruise ship which is exactly like those that leave galveston every day?

Just thinking out loud.

#4 beli

beli
  • Members
  • 8,922 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:12 AM

My parents were talking about taking a cruise in italy. I don't get it though. Wouldn't it be cooler to actually be in italy for those 10 days and travel to all those places instead of being on a cruise ship which is exactly like those that leave galveston every day?

Just thinking out loud.

This.. I'd rather be in Italy for 10days. This is on my top five destinations. However some don't like to fly so they take a cruise.. there's that.

#5 Labyrinthine

Labyrinthine
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

Christ.

Interesting fact: passengers are reporting a power outage before impact. This is the sister ship to Carnival Splendor that lost power due to a fire in 2010 off the coast of Mexico. Also, passengers and crew are reporting there was no muster drill and pax were told to return to their staterooms even as the ship was heading towards a 45 degree list.

Costa has a terrible record. Often it is not realized they are owned by Carnival which also owns NCL and several others. When you look at all the lines you see a history of electric issues and "minor" impacts. Sadly, I saw this coming. <_<

Prayers for those that have died and prayers for those still missing. I would like to know more about reports that the Captain left the ship prior to full evacuation. <_<

#6 direred

direred
  • Bloggers
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:41 PM

Sometimes, the logistics of getting around is problematic, especially in Italy where schedules are sometimes guidelines. Besides, who wants to spend their entire vacation schlepping luggage?

Also, I've recently spent a lot of time in Italy on a land vacation, and there are things you can see via a sea approach that you can't when you're bustling through train stations and airports.

My impression of Costa is probably from their glory years pre-Carnival, sadly.

Edited by direred, 14 January 2012 - 01:41 PM.

#7 Labyrinthine

Labyrinthine
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

Red, you are right that prior to the Carnival purchase, Costa had a great record. Sadly, Carnival Group has a shady record on all their lines.

The cruise line I work for is not perfect and recently had a well publicized..incident...as well so this isn't a matter of competition but I am floored to hear that they were doing cyclical cruises and did not require the new passengers to have a modified muster drill!

#8 TeeSharice

TeeSharice

ModSquad

• Mod Squad
  • 20,391 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

so lab, my other question was.... after a disaster, such as this, do the prices fro cruises tend to come down?? like maybe to influence folks who may now be turned off

#9 belleama

belleama

Pretty Little

• Members
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

Police arrest Italian captain of cruise ship that ran aground, killing 3

Rome (CNN) -- The Italian captain of the cruise ship that ran aground -- killing three person and injuring 20 more -- was arrested late Saturday and is being investigated for manslaughter and abandoning ship, said a local prosecutor in Grosetto, Italy.

The captain, Francesco Schettino, had been earlier interviewed by investigators in Porto Santo Stefano about what happened when the 4,200-passenger Costa Concordia struck rocks in shallow water off Italy's western coast, said officer Emilio Del Santo of the Coastal Authorities of Livorno.

Authorities were looking at why the ship didn't hail a mayday during the accident near the Italian island of Giglio on Friday night, officials said. The ship is owned by Genoa-based Costa Cruises.

"At the moment we can't exclude that the ship had some kind of technical problem, and for this reason moved towards the coast in order to save the passengers, the crew and the ship. But they didn't send a mayday. The ship got in contact with us once the evacuation procedures were already ongoing," Del Santo said prior to the announcement of the arrest.

"Fear and panic are comprehensible in a ship long over 300 meters with over 4000 passengers," Del Santo said. "We can confirm that the ship has a breach on the hull of about 90 meters, and that the right side of it is completely under water."

The three persons dead were two French tourists and a crew member from Peru, Port authorities in Livorno said.

Giuseppe Orsina, a spokesman with the local civil protection agency, said 43 to 51 persons were missing, though authorities are reviewing passenger lists to confirm the exact figure.

"These people could be still on the island of Giglio, in private houses or in hospitals," Orsina said.

The coast guard said 50 to 70 people could be missing.

One surviving crew member, Rosalyn Rincon, 30, of Blackpool, England, said she wanted to know why the cruise ship was sailing so close to shore. She described a harrowing grounding of the vessel, whose tilting and rising water evoked the film "Titanic," she said.

"I'm pretty much angry, and I want to know why we were so close to the coast," said Rincon, who works as a dancer on the ship and was entertaining passengers by performing a trick inside a box with a magician when the accident occurred.

Rincon has sailed the itinerary the last three months, she said.

"I've never thought something like this could happen," Rincon added.

The ship was 2.5 miles off route when it struck a rocky sandbar, according to the Italian Coast Guard. Local fishermen say the island coast of Giglio is known for its rocky sea floor.

Gianni Onorato, president of Costa Cruises, expressed "deep sorrow for this terrible tragedy," but said the cruise line was unable to answer all the questions that authorities are now investigating.

"On the basis of the initial evidence still preliminary Costa Concordia, under the command of Master Francesco Schettino, was sailing its regularly scheduled itinerary from Civitavecchia to Savona, Italy, when the ship struck a submerged rock," Onorato said in a statement before the announcement of the captain's announcement.

"Captain Schettino, who was on the bridge at the time, immediately understood the severity of the situation and performed a maneuver intended to protect both guests and crew, and initiated security procedures to prepare for an eventual ship evacuation," he continued.

"Unfortunately, that operation was complicated by a sudden tilting of the ship that made disembarkation difficult," Onorato said.

Rescue teams worked through the night to evacuate more than 4,000 people from the Costa Concordia, owned by Genoa-based Costa Cruises, after it ran aground off of Italy's western coast.

See high-res images of the rescue

Authorities said earlier Saturday they believed everyone was accounted for, but that they did not have a definitive list of names.

The huge ship, which was lying on its side in shallow water Saturday evening, was carrying about 3,200 passengers and 1,000 crew members when it ran aground at about dinner time.

Initial reports suggested as many as six people had been killed, but it was unclear why the number dropped. An additional 14 people were injured, Adm. Ilarione Dell'Anna, head of coastal authorities for the port city of Livorno, told CNN.

Passengers described how the lights went out and it then became clear the ship had hit something, prompting scenes of chaos.

Fear and panic aboard crippled ship

Laurie Willits from Ontario, who was watching a magic show with her husband at that moment, told CNN: "We heard a scraping noise to the left of the ship and then my husband said 'we're sliding off our seats.'"

The couple ran to their cabin to get coats and life jackets before making their way to a lifeboat. Emergency instructions in English were hard to hear, Willits said.

Panic spread as people scrambled to find lifeboats in the dark as the ship quickly leaned to one side. Access to some lifeboats was hampered by the ship's tilt into the water, adding to the confusion.

Willits and her husband, who managed to get into a lifeboat about an hour to 90 minutes after the alarm was raised, watched from a pier on the island as the ship slowly sank until it was at an almost 90 degree angle in the water.

"I'm exhausted, I haven't had any sleep, I'm hungry," Willits said, but added that she was relieved to have been able to call her family thanks to the help of people on the island.

The civil protection agency in the town of Grosseto, the provincial capital, said Saturday morning that the emergency operation was still ongoing and parts of the ship remained underwater.

The coast guard said three helicopters were used to rescue some passengers from the ship.

Evacuation efforts started promptly but were made "extremely difficult" by the position of the ship, according to a statement on Costa's website. Some passengers fell into the chilly waters during the rescue, Italy's ANSA news agency reported.

Dell'Anna said an investigation is under way.

"There has probably been a technical blackout," he said. "The ship was dangerously near the coast. We worked all night in a state of maximum emergency.

"Fortunately the sea conditions have helped us, otherwise -- given the high number of people to rescue, 4,231 -- we could have had a completely different scenario: a real tragedy."

Many of those rescued in the early hours were taken to small churches and other buildings around the island for shelter.

Some were still wearing the pajamas and slippers they had on as the ship went down, as they waited for help Saturday morning at reception centers set up on the island.

One of the victims was a 65-year-old woman who died of a heart attack, according to authorities.

Costa said it was focusing on the final stages of the emergency operation and helping passengers and crew return home.

"It is a tragedy that deeply affects our company. Our first thoughts go to the victims and we would like to express our condolences and our closeness to their families and friends," Costa said on its website.

The Concordia, built in 2006, was on a Mediterranean cruise from Rome with stops in Savona, Marseille, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Cagliari and Palermo, according to the cruise line. It was unclear how far into the cruise the grounding occurred.

Most of the passengers on board were Italian, as well as some French and German citizens. CNN affiliate America Noticias, in Peru, said a group of 32 Peruvians were also onboard.

The United Kingdom's Foreign and Commonwealth Office was working with Italian authorities to identify British nationals on the cruise, a spokesman said.

Another Costa ship was involved in a deadly 2010 accident when the Costa Europa crashed into a pier in Egypt's Sharm el-Sheikh during stormy weather, killing three crew members.

CNN's Marilia Brocchetto, Livia Borghese, Michael Martinez and journalist Barbie Nadeau contributed to this report.

2012 Cable News Network. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

#10 direred

direred
  • Bloggers
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

The cruise line I work for is not perfect and recently had a well publicized..incident...as well so this isn't a matter of competition but I am floored to hear that they were doing cyclical cruises and did not require the new passengers to have a modified muster drill!

Me to. I used to work on ships, and I got really used to the drills. I even began looking forward to them.

#11 Labyrinthine

Labyrinthine
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

so lab, my other question was.... after a disaster, such as this, do the prices fro cruises tend to come down?? like maybe to influence folks who may now be turned off

Sometimes but it will be hard for Carnival Group to bring their prices down. Costa was already pretty low cost. Other lines will tout their safety record and may lower prices slightly if they see people cancelling.

#12 direred

direred
  • Bloggers
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

The story just keeps getting weirder.

"Watch this!"

(several lives lost and $1 billion in damages later...)

#13 ICANHASMUNY?

ICANHASMUNY?

Forum Leads - State Laws

• Forum Leads
  • 15,653 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

I'm guessing he probably cruised thru the same spot on a different trip at high tide.

and it was low tide this time....

I want to know why the ship tilted - they stated that they are designed to sink on an even keel?

#14 Labyrinthine

Labyrinthine
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:52 PM

I'm guessing he probably cruised thru the same spot on a different trip at high tide.

and it was low tide this time....

I want to know why the ship tilted - they stated that they are designed to sink on an even keel?

There is actually a very good explanation for this. The reported electrical failure delayed the shutting of water tight doors meaning it flooded unevenly causing the ship to list beyond a safe degree at which point the top heavy ship simply ... tipped over.

As for how this happens, it now appears that the Captain was off course. There was a post on Facebook about a unique salute to the island which is not part of the normal course.

#15 NotAGreenDress

NotAGreenDress
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:15 PM

Carnival is a hideous company. Up until at least yesterday, they were running a TV commercial which showed a couple being terrorized by a giant, angry bear (the people were somewhat safe, locked in a car), during a camping vacation. The gist of the commercial was, basically, wouldn't you rather be on a safe, happy Carnival cruise than being attacked by a bear?

Umm... no.

I would link it, but the videos can't be found on the web anymore, so I suspect Carnival finally got their heads out of their own asses (four days after the accident in Italy) and stopped running the spot.

(As far as I understand - the ship is tipped not because it took on water [it did], but because it's actually been run aground. Had it been in enough water, it would be fully submerged, but since it's stuck on shallow ground, it's leaning over on it's hull.)

#16 Snork Maiden

Snork Maiden

Mouthy Russian

• Members
  • 838 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

It looks so close to land. I think I'd have jumped in the water. Did they get to use all the lifeboats from the tilted side, before it got all..tilted? It all looks super shady.

#17 direred

direred
  • Bloggers
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

It looks so close to land. I think I'd have jumped in the water. Did they get to use all the lifeboats from the tilted side, before it got all..tilted? It all looks super shady.

Many of the lifeboats on the tilted side wouldn't descend (classic problem, actually).

Jumping in the water is extremely dangerous with a ship like that. For one thing, it was very cold water that'd kill you. For another, it's a good way to get sucked into the ship's undertow if the ship completely sinks. It's also a suprisingly long way down (several stories) and one can easily injure one's self so that one can't swim to someplace useful. I wouldn't jump without a life vest because there's no way of knowing how long you'd have to tread water.

That captain is, unfortunately, one of the bad eggs in the industry. I'm sickened and disappointed by his dishonorable behavior after the fact and refusal to own up to his share of responsibility.

#18 Snork Maiden

Snork Maiden

Mouthy Russian

• Members
  • 838 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:54 PM

Many of the lifeboats on the tilted side wouldn't descend (classic problem, actually).

Jumping in the water is extremely dangerous with a ship like that. For one thing, it was very cold water that'd kill you. For another, it's a good way to get sucked into the ship's undertow if the ship completely sinks. It's also a suprisingly long way down (several stories) and one can easily injure one's self so that one can't swim to someplace useful. I wouldn't jump without a life vest because there's no way of knowing how long you'd have to tread water.

That captain is, unfortunately, one of the bad eggs in the industry. I'm sickened and disappointed by his dishonorable behavior after the fact and refusal to own up to his share of responsibility.

They don't descend? Holy crap. I'm changing my cruise escape if it's ever close to an island plan to - hanging out somewhere at the top until last minute, and THEN jumping in the water if nobody shows up.
I don't know that I'll ever cruise again without having Rom rent a fishing boat and follow me around at safe distance..

That captain looked like a greasy piece of work. Being last to leave wouldn't have helped him a whole lot, but being one of the first is not helping any..

#19 direred

direred
  • Bloggers
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

They don't descend? Holy crap. I'm changing my cruise escape if it's ever close to an island plan to - hanging out somewhere at the top until last minute, and THEN jumping in the water if nobody shows up.

After a certain percentage of list, one side's boats won't auto-descend. This is a very rare circumstance, though.

Here's a page about cold water survival problems. We normally think of the mediterranean as warm, but it was freezing in Venice three weeks ago when I was there. It is very very easy to die in cold water in only a few minutes without a floatation device.

I don't know that I'll ever cruise again without having Rom rent a fishing boat and follow me around at safe distance..

That captain looked like a greasy piece of work. Being last to leave wouldn't have helped him a whole lot, but being one of the first is not helping any..

Yeah, and the report of them yelling at him to get back on the ship sure isn't helping.

#20 Labyrinthine

Labyrinthine
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

Snork, I recommend you not ever jump from a ship - no matter how close you feel you are to shore. You are still very high from the water and it will feel like you hit cement when you hit that water. Plus, if it is cold (this water is reported to be about mid 50s) you can quickly cramp and drown or reach hypothermia.

#21 Labyrinthine

Labyrinthine
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

http://travel.usatod...uard/52613814/1

:glare:

There are no DAMN words.

#22 direred

direred
  • Bloggers
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

Agreed. Generally the top three are all in command of getting everyone else off ship, and the 2nd in command was also off ship.

It seems he fell apart after his initial maneuver to help get the ship someplace useful.

#23 direred

direred
  • Bloggers
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:10 AM

Five more found dead, total of eleven. 29 remain unaccounted for. :(

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.