Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

What steps to take for a valid medical bill that's been turned over to a CA

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Morocco

Morocco
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:04 AM

I have a valid medical bill that's just a couple of months old that was recently turned over to a CA. I was making payments to the OC, and would have finished paying it off completely in the next week, but I received a call a few days ago from a CA telling me the balance - which they quoted correctly - had been turned over to them. I told them I did not know anything about it, and to please send me something in writing so that I could investigate. They told me a letter had been sent to me on 12/29, but I have not received anything yet. I have a credit monitoring service through USAA and it is not appearing there yet.

Unfortunately I have had dealings with this CA for two other medical bills, and they always report to all three bureaus, so I would like to know what the correct steps are to keep them from reporting it in the first place and also to get the final payment made to the OC ASAP (as was my intention all along). I've read through the letters on WhyChat's page, but I can't seem to find the letters that fit this situation.

I have already opted out and removed all old addresses and incorrect names from my reports.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

#2 Morocco

Morocco
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

I have a valid medical bill that's just a couple of months old that was recently turned over to a CA. I was making payments to the OC, and would have finished paying it off completely in the next week, but I received a call a few days ago from a CA telling me the balance - which they quoted correctly - had been turned over to them. I told them I did not know anything about it, and to please send me something in writing so that I could investigate. They told me a letter had been sent to me on 12/29, but I have not received anything yet. I have a credit monitoring service through USAA and it is not appearing there yet.

Unfortunately I have had dealings with this CA for two other medical bills, and they always report to all three bureaus, so I would like to know what the correct steps are to keep them from reporting it in the first place and also to get the final payment made to the OC ASAP (as was my intention all along). I've read through the letters on WhyChat's page, but I can't seem to find the letters that fit this situation.

I have already opted out and removed all old addresses and incorrect names from my reports.

I may have figured this out, but please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :) .

I think I should send this out first: http://www.whychat.5...cavalhipaa.html using "recent communication" since I don't have anything in writing from the CA.

Then I should wait for their response, and once I have verification in hand of their business relationship with the OC I can pay the OC with this: http://whychat.5u.com/hipltr.html using "insert a" and a cashier's check with the restrictive endorsement.

#3 Morocco

Morocco
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:19 PM

bump

#4 Why Chat

Why Chat
  • Members
  • 21,534 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:31 AM

I may have figured this out, but please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :) .

I think I should send this out first: http://www.whychat.5...cavalhipaa.html using "recent communication" since I don't have anything in writing from the CA.

Then I should wait for their response, and once I have verification in hand of their business relationship with the OC I can pay the OC with this: http://whychat.5u.com/hipltr.html using "insert a" and a cashier's check with the restrictive endorsement.

Absolutely CORRECT!! :clapping:

#5 davebond007

davebond007
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:23 PM

This situation is exactly what I am in.

Thanks Why Chat.

#6 Morocco

Morocco
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

I received a letter from the CA in response to their phone call (not in response to my DV letter) that enclosed what appears to be some sort of account history sheet. It has a section with my name, address, DOB, SSN, etc.; a section with general billing info that has none of my information; a section titled "Encounter Billing Information" that has mostly empty fields except for the name of the Dr. that ordered the test; a section for insurance information that's blank (I don't have insurance); and a section that says "Spec Encounter Information" that has mostly blank fields except it shows the date of service, the service ("Surgical Path Level), and the correct balance due.

In their letter they called this an "Itemized Statement of Account."

Does this establish the current relationship between the OC and the CA? Should I go ahead and send payment to the OC or wait for their response to my DV letter?

Thank you.

#7 Why Chat

Why Chat
  • Members
  • 21,534 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:59 PM

I received a letter from the CA in response to their phone call (not in response to my DV letter) that enclosed what appears to be some sort of account history sheet. It has a section with my name, address, DOB, SSN, etc.; a section with general billing info that has none of my information; a section titled "Encounter Billing Information" that has mostly empty fields except for the name of the Dr. that ordered the test; a section for insurance information that's blank (I don't have insurance); and a section that says "Spec Encounter Information" that has mostly blank fields except it shows the date of service, the service ("Surgical Path Level), and the correct balance due.

Does this establish the current relationship between the OC and the CA? Should I go ahead and send payment to the OC or wait for their response to my DV letter?

Thank you.

It sounds to me as though they had a blank "fill in the spaces" form from that Dr. not an actual account statement, however, since the balance showing IS correct, based on your payments to date to the OC , I think you are safe to go ahead and pay the OC with the HIPAA letter insert "a".

#8 Morocco

Morocco
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:16 PM

Thank you.

It sounds to me as though they had a blank "fill in the spaces" form from that Dr. not an actual account statement, however, since the balance showing IS correct, based on your payments to date to the OC , I think you are safe to go ahead and pay the OC with the HIPAA letter insert "a".

I did go ahead and pay the OC with this letter: http://whychat.5u.com/hipltr.html and a bank cashier's check with the restrictive endorsement. I sent it CMRR the first time - to a PO Box - not realizing that it might not be picked up. It came back to me unclaimed, so I sent it certified with no RR. I found out today that the OC did cash the cashier's check.

I never did receive a response from the CA to my medical DV letter, and they have not called me since I told them I did not know anything about the bill and would not speak with them until I had something in writing.

Is there anything else I need to do to keep this from appearing on my credit report?

Thank you for all your help.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.