Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

SSDI and child support

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 Lucinda Jane

Lucinda Jane
  • Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:37 PM

I called SS and they told me that if he can get SSDI, then I'll get money and it doesn't affect his benefits. If he gets SSI, I'm screwed no matter what.

He won't call me back or respond to my texts now..... :glare:

My grown son gets SSDI, and his daughter gets a check monthly, & it does not affect his amount. He does not get SSI, because he does not meet the low income required.

#27 sirrowan

sirrowan
  • Members
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:00 AM

I called SS and they told me that if he can get SSDI, then I'll get money and it doesn't affect his benefits. If he gets SSI, I'm screwed no matter what.

My grown son gets SSDI, and his daughter gets a check monthly, & it does not affect his amount. He does not get SSI, because he does not meet the low income required.

I'm wondering if he can get both?

#28 beli

beli
  • Members
  • 8,922 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:09 PM

I'm wondering if he can get both?

No.. it's one or the other.. either you don't make enough when you were working before you became disabled (Ssi)or you quality for disability(Ssdi). Not both.

Edited by beli, 30 December 2011 - 12:10 PM.

#29 brazen

brazen

Thing Two

• Forum Leads
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:48 PM

This thread smells fishy to me.

#30 orangecrush

orangecrush

Goddess of the Jacksonville Tourism Bureau

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:49 PM

This thread smells fishy to me.

:huh: Elaborate...

#31 JessieLyn

JessieLyn
  • Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

He is on their BC's. He wants their SS#'s so he can go down to the county and get a medical card and food stamps etc. They live with ME.

My girls JUST saw their father for Christmas Eve. They hadn't seen him since the last Christmas Eve. He lives 10 minutes away.

He lives with a girlfriend that supports him. He hasn't worked for a few years now. He has real issues and he should have received his disability 5 years ago.

Don't know if you found out any info you were looking for... But....

I went through this with my children's donor..... He was supposed to add them onto his SSI/SSDI case and never did (even the judge for the custody case told him he HAD TO... turns out Social security says the custodial parent is the ONLY one who can add them on whether they are the one applying for SSI/SSI or not). So long story short, he got benefits, never told anyone, *I* had to go to social security to add them onto his case (when they were just about 2 years old... and he had benefits for over a year as it was). SS told me the custodial parent has to add the children onto the other persons case. You will need HIS social security number but for him to add the kids he would need custody... either of you would also need their birth certificates, proof he is their parent (signed paternity acknowledgement or test results... the birth certificate is not enough to show that), and the childrens social security cards. Your own ID and SSN is needed too.

Quite the pain in the ass really... And the court says he isnt required to pay ANY child support yet NYS keeps sending me info for their child support debit card (which would be useless as I already have one from them from when I first app'd for child support and the judge keeps issuing $0 child support orders...)

#32 JessieLyn

JessieLyn
  • Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

SSDI is very hard, and I do mean hard to get and they are very strict on what you can and cannot have. But having kids and not paying child support can open another can of worms that can mean trouble.

Doesn't seem that way around here, it seems like people get it for every reason under the sun.

I live in Ohio, and it's near impossible to get. A friend of mine is autistic and his mental age is about 12 at best was denied once for SSDI and Medicade. Well, SSDI said that he wasn't disabled enough for SSDI. Medicade denied him because he has a trust fund and a couple other things. I was denied twice for SSDI because they told me that I wasn't diabled enough. What gets me is someone else I know gets it because she gets mild panic attacks if she works.

I'm in NY and My children's "donor" gets it cause he drinks to the point of blacking out and when he has no money has seizures from not drinking (withdrawls). He went to a neurologist and DID NOT TELL THEM HE DRINKS so they found that he has "migraines, seizure disorder, blackout spells, etc" based on just his word.... And he got disability. He passed seizure tests (even week long hospitalized ones) with NO episodes but they still say he has it and won't rule it out... Must be nice to be a lying scamming loser...

Meanwhile, I have severe rheumatoid arthritis and can't even open a bottle of water most of the time... And I fought for 3 years and was denied 3 times... It's sickening. Almost makes ya wanna take up drinking cause alcoholics and addicts get everything they apply for so it seems.... So I have no income other than what my husband makes and we have 5 people to take care of on about $1400 a month... I get about $200 combined each month for my kids from the SSDI that their donor gets... But that literally JUST started so for the past 2 years I have been scraping by, borrowing money, my dad has been buying diapers and stuff when we didn't have the money... It's just sad.

Really sad that the people who REALLY need the help get shafted.... :( I am reapplying this year probably in April (I'm pregnant right now, having the baby in 17 days. Last child for me, first and last for my husband... Really can't go deal with applying right now). And it sucks but I'm gonna get a lawyer this time around. By the time I knew I was even getting a court date and whatnot the last time, I was pregnant with the twins and was high-risk and wasn't supposed to be going anywhere or doing anything. So I didn't get a chance to do it then.

#33 Credit Please

Credit Please

Self-Proclaimed Georgia's Queen of CB

• Members
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

Hypothetically speaking, let's say you agree to allow him to Use them for his county benefits. Regardless of the legality of the matter, the county wants to know why you aren't paying child support and if they are paying for medical and food, you the unparticipating parent will be on the hook for repayment of what he is getting for free.
If your children need medical most counties have a low cost program that is free even for working families or if you make a lot then it's like $20 a month. Here in ga it's called peach care for kids. You may even qualify for other county benefits yourself. But I would not put my behind in a mess for him and his household to benefit, even if he promises to share with you. He wouldn't be obligated to give you anything and then you have just opened up a whole bag of mess on your life.
A lot to think about.

#34 sirrowan

sirrowan
  • Members
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

Hypothetically speaking, let's say you agree to allow him to Use them for his county benefits. Regardless of the legality of the matter, the county wants to know why you aren't paying child support and if they are paying for medical and food, you the unparticipating parent will be on the hook for repayment of what he is getting for free.
If your children need medical most counties have a low cost program that is free even for working families or if you make a lot then it's like $20 a month. Here in ga it's called peach care for kids. You may even qualify for other county benefits yourself. But I would not put my behind in a mess for him and his household to benefit, even if he promises to share with you. He wouldn't be obligated to give you anything and then you have just opened up a whole bag of mess on your life.
A lot to think about.

I would never allow him to do that. EVER. He's such a jerk.

Jesslyn-I've never heard of anyone having to take a paternity test for SS. WTH?

Brazen-what are you talking about fishy? Me?

Edited by sirrowan, 29 February 2012 - 12:31 PM.

#35 groze

groze
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:10 PM

Actually you can get both SSI & SSDI if your SSDI is low enough. I know this from helping my cousin.

In the op situations
SSDI-Kids can get till age 18 or 21 (Depends on the state) However, I don't know if non-marriage counts. Also, there is a slim chance the kids could get one of her parents survivors benefits it complicated to do that. I have no idea how to go about that and it may last till there 18 as well.

#36 SplashMom

SplashMom
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

So here's what I take from this thread ... one can be an addict (recovering or otherwise) and get money from the government (i.e. me and other hard-working people) because they feel "anxious" or "panicky" when they have to work? What a racket. No wonder there will likely be nothing left by the time I retire and try to collect on my s.s. contributions. I see it every day so I shouldn't be surprised ... people who are too lazy to work and want to suck off the system yet they seem capable of going out and having fun, expecting someone else to pick up the tab. I know there are people out there who are truly deserving of services, but I believe there are many who are taking advantage. During my college years, I worked part-time in the accounting department of a small town city hall. There was a woman who had seven children by six different men, never worked a day in her life, and sat back on her front porch waiting for the mailman to deliver her checks from the city and state. When our community development coordinator offered her a program in which she would go to school to learn a trade while having free childcare, she declined. Why work when you can suck off the system?

#37 groze

groze
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

So here's what I take from this thread ... one can be an addict (recovering or otherwise) and get money from the government (i.e. me and other hard-working people) because they feel "anxious" or "panicky" when they have to work? What a racket. No wonder there will likely be nothing left by the time I retire and try to collect on my s.s. contributions. I see it every day so I shouldn't be surprised ... people who are too lazy to work and want to suck off the system yet they seem capable of going out and having fun, expecting someone else to pick up the tab. I know there are people out there who are truly deserving of services, but I believe there are many who are taking advantage. During my college years, I worked part-time in the accounting department of a small town city hall. There was a woman who had seven children by six different men, never worked a day in her life, and sat back on her front porch waiting for the mailman to deliver her checks from the city and state. When our community development coordinator offered her a program in which she would go to school to learn a trade while having free childcare, she declined. Why work when you can suck off the system?

You can't get SSI or SSDI for being an addict anymore. Those still on it won't be removed. Well with 7 children it would be hard to work outside of the house. Just because she sitting on the porch, doesn't mean she doesn't take care of the house. Taking care of a house is a full time job. A homemaker salary should be getting $87,000 a year according to Abc news. There are also hidden disabilities that you can't see. She could have a hart problem, cancer or something even more serious.

I am not trying to be political here but I am only pointing this out as reference. There is 60 % of the U.S. on Food Stamp & it will only going to get worse. We are going to have a major economy catastrophe that will effect every income level including the rich. Getting or making a job in a small town is almost impossible plus a lot places require degrees and experience. SSDI, Medicaid, SSI is very very hard to get. The fraud is just an excuse to cut funds that people need.

Mod, if that is to political please edit or delete the last paragraph.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.