Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Do you support current Amex FR Policy ?

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you support current Amex FR Policy ? (114 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you support current Amex FR Policy ?

1. Yes (42 votes [36.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

2. No (72 votes [63.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#76 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence

• Members
  • 31,583 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:54 AM

Your use of obscenities undermines your credibility.

I hope you are more objective in the classroom.

#77 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 67,583 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:58 AM

Your use of obscenities undermines your credibility.

I hope you are more objective in the classroom.

oh, I missed the memo where I have to share your preferences and rank orderings. and if I used obscene language, please use the report button. thanks.

#78 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence

• Members
  • 31,583 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:03 AM

I try to make my points without lowering myself to using your level of discourse.

#79 shaddix

shaddix
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:03 AM

let me guess...you happily let clerks check your drivers license when using a credit card to pay? If so, you need to rethink the focus of your ire.

Why single-out costco when walfart and other subprime merchants do the same?

This is a good point when dealing with walmart and other stores where you haven't signed any agreement. If you did not steal your own credit card, why should you show your ID? If you are not stealing anything from the store, why should you wait in line to produce a receipt?

#80 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence

• Members
  • 31,583 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:08 AM

I also post based on personal experience, not on hearsay evidence.

IOW, when was the last time people who denigrate Walmart the most, were actually in one?

#81 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 67,583 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:18 AM

I also post based on personal experience, not on hearsay evidence.

IOW, when was the last time people who denigrate Walmart the most, were actually in one?

about 3 weeks ago. and nowhere did I denigrate walmart. I just pointed out that it seems to check receipts. Strange you would take this tack with me since I also mentioned best buy and others. Are they not worthy of your protection? :lol:

you can pretend walmart does not check receipts, but ample evidence suggests you are wrong.

http://consumerist.c...ht-condoms.html

http://www.cybercome...eviews/walmart/

#82 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence

• Members
  • 31,583 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:29 AM

Using an obscenity to refer to something counts as denigration in my book, obviously not in yours.

Did I mention personal experience?

#83 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence

• Members
  • 31,583 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:31 AM

Maybe I live in a part of the country where theft is not rampant.

But I've never had my receipt checked at Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, Best Buy, etc.

I've always had my receipts checked at Costco and Sam's Club.

#84 TXDatN

TXDatN
  • Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

But I've never had my receipt checked at Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, Best Buy, etc.

No receipt checks for me at these locations too. Im not a Costco or Sam's Club shopper, so I cant say. Located in North TX.

#85 dnm45227

dnm45227

CB Wing Nut

• Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:43 AM

I had my receipt checked at walmart just last week. The greeter said anything not in a bag she was supposed to ask to see a receipt for.

As previously stated I think it's BS, but the mentally handicapped greeter is doing the best she can to be productive and does not deserve to be the butt of my ire. I can't in good conscience expect her to stand up to management about an issue she likely doesn't even know exists.

#86 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 67,583 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:59 AM

No receipt checks for me at these locations too. Im not a Costco or Sam's Club shopper, so I cant say. Located in North TX.

I've not see it done at HD or Lowes, but Fry's and BB here do it all the time. The receipt checker at Fry's didn't even read the receipt last time I was there; he just swiped a highlighter on it and told me to have a nice day.

and the walfart where I observed the receipt checking was in a small town not near where I live.

#87 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 67,583 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:00 PM

I am surprised only 44 people have voted. This is always such a salient issue. Or perhaps it is salient for a handful of people and not so much to most?

#88 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence

• Members
  • 31,583 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:06 PM

Maybe all your faculty friends use that term, and have no idea that some people find it offensive.

Educated people I know use a more socially acceptable form of the word.

May I recommend a thesaurus?

#89 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 67,583 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:08 PM

Maybe all your faculty friends use that term, and have no idea that some people find it offensive.

Educated people I know use a more socially acceptable form of the word.

May I recommend a thesaurus?

which word are you offended by?

#90 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence

• Members
  • 31,583 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:12 PM

The fact that you have no idea amazes me.

#91 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 67,583 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:14 PM

The fact that you have no idea amazes me.

oh just pick one at random since that would make as much sense and the snarky remarks you've made in this thread today.

#92 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence

• Members
  • 31,583 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

Your bias blinds you.

#93 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 67,583 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:18 PM

Also, along these lines unless I'm about to run out of gas I refuse to pay for gas before I pump. This includes pay at the pump.

how does this work in practice? Are there some stations that don't ask for payment or to hold a card or cash (inside) before pumping? I would rather pay at the pump than give a clerk a card or cash to hold while I went back outside to pump.

#94 virtualtreasure

virtualtreasure
  • Members
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:41 PM

If, for real or imagined reasons, a retailer believes a customer has shoplifted, for eg.
they may request receipts and detain them upon refusal to do so...additionally 'shoplifters' are routinely arrested and prosecuted
so-if the customer is unable or unwilling to confirm
payment for the merchandise on their person and the retailer doesn't take kindly
the situation could escalate quite rapidly.

Refusing to produce a receipt for purchased merchandise is not enough to detain someone. You must be observed taking something and then attempting to leave the store without paying in order for them to have any legal ability to stop you. If you stop for any other reason than you are actually stealing something, then you are doing it willingly.

Guess who decides (in real time) if a customer was 'observed' taking something and then attempted to leave the store?

Edited by virtualtreasure, 20 December 2011 - 12:52 PM.

#95 shaddix

shaddix
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:22 PM

If, for real or imagined reasons, a retailer believes a customer has shoplifted, for eg.
they may request receipts and detain them upon refusal to do so...additionally 'shoplifters' are routinely arrested and prosecuted
payment for the merchandise on their person and the retailer doesn't take kindly

Refusing to produce a receipt for purchased merchandise is not enough to detain someone. You must be observed taking something and then attempting to leave the store without paying in order for them to have any legal ability to stop you. If you stop for any other reason than you are actually stealing something, then you are doing it willingly.

Guess who decides (in real time) if a customer was 'observed' taking something and then attempted to leave the store?

I have no words.......

#96 dnm45227

dnm45227

CB Wing Nut

• Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:28 PM

Also, along these lines unless I'm about to run out of gas I refuse to pay for gas before I pump. This includes pay at the pump.

how does this work in practice? Are there some stations that don't ask for payment or to hold a card or cash (inside) before pumping? I would rather pay at the pump than give a clerk a card or cash to hold while I went back outside to pump.

when traveling it is hard to find one that just turns the pump on. In those scenarios I do relent and pay at the pump. I have no choice.

At home there are several stations that just turn the pumps on and I choose to patronize those stations over ones that presume I will steal from them.

#97 breeze

breeze

Site Owners & FC XXXVIII

• Admin
  • 46,239 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:35 PM

ΤΏΤ

#98 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 67,583 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:52 PM

when traveling it is hard to find one that just turns the pump on. In those scenarios I do relent and pay at the pump. I have no choice.

At home there are several stations that just turn the pumps on and I choose to patronize those stations over ones that presume I will steal from them.

are these independent stations? I have not seen a station that would pump before pay since the 1980s. I am with you, however, on preferring pumping before paying.

#99 Jon77

Jon77
  • Members
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:52 PM

Stations like that went away when gas prices hit about $2/gal. There were always people stealing, but now each person has the potential to steal more money because of the higher prices.

#100 virtualtreasure

virtualtreasure
  • Members
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:01 PM

I have no words.......

Thank you for having an opinion and being honest.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.