Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

SF86 Background Clearance

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 abrown21

abrown21
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:13 AM

Hello Everyone!

I've been tentatively offered a position for Customs and Border Protection. However, part of the background is the credit check. On 12/09 I went to the ER and the crap insurance plan we had only covered part of the bills, and I have about $3,400 outstanding in medical bills (which have already hit my CR's).

I've attempted to contact the Hospital, but they automatically transfer me to the collections agency (California Business Bureau) and they just want to know whether I'm going to pay "or what?".

I don't know what to do, the bills are legit but I don't have the $3,400 to pay them off. Someone suggested I hire an attorney and hopefully they can get a settlement for 50% the amount and have it deleted from my CR's.

Any advice is much appreciated.

#2 Hippiekiller

Hippiekiller
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:14 AM

I'm currently my Company's Security Officer so I have alittle experience with situations like this. Be honest on the SF86. If they have an issue with the outstanding debt, they'll give you a chance to explain it with an investigator. They will come to the City you live in or near by and meet you in a Gov't owned business. Such as a library, town hall, recruiters, etc. What they want to hear is that you have a decent reason, But, more importantly they want to know you have a plan of action on the debt. Also, they want to know if you have been in contact with the creditors and have and agreed plan between both parties. So, a letter would help stating some sort of payment plan that was agreed to. Maybe you don't have any plans on paying it but at least get the letter. When I got my Secret clearance I had about 5 collections, a 7 year old BK, and about 10K in debt. Now I have 1 collection account and a Top Secret clearance. Like I said before, just be honest and don't make up crap.

#3 Nitro3

Nitro3
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:43 PM

I have a secret now, but when I was offered my job I did fill out the SF86 100% truthfully and accurately. They do have you explain each debt or accurance at the end of each section, so yes do explain it, and have an action plan too.

#4 abrown21

abrown21
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:14 PM

Thank you very much for your replies. I was 100% truthful about it. I had just pulled my credit reports so I even had the correct amounts. I am going to do a validation of debt and then follow steps on a settlement plan.

I also have an AAFES debt, and I get the letters it seems every month, so I'm going to try and send in a payment and hopefully that will prove that I'm working on my debts. The downside to all of this is my income is very tight, but I'm going to have to make it work somehow.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.