Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Paying Off Business Debt on Personal Cards

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Globalksp

Globalksp
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:03 AM

Greetings all,

About two years ago I left a job with an engineering firm that kept me well paid and subsequently allowed my credit rating to soar to around 870. I left the position to start my own photography business. Foolishly, I used personal credit cards to purchase most of my equipment, computers, etc... With the combination of lower income and ever increasing debt I've gone and maxed out 5, high interest credit accounts to the tune of about $18,000. Add in my low interest student loan and the grand total of my debt exceeds $30,000. I'm 29 years old.

I'm attempting to get my ducks in a row in order to pay down this debt as efficiently as possible without further damaging my credit score and hopefully without taking on more debt.

I'm wondering if I have any options open to me since so much of my debt was incurred for asset purchases for my business (which is now an LLC)? I've had a difficult time finding information on business loans for debt reduction and am afraid my credit is so poor now that I wouldn't be able to qualify in the first place.

Are any of you small business owners that have dealt with this?

Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.

#2 leonel619

leonel619
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:41 AM

I'm not a business owner, but my impression is that with as hard as it is to get a business loan (and then usually at higher rates), it is unlikely you will be able to get a business loan for the purpose of paying off debt taken out in your own name, unless your business has outstanding financials. Even then, many business loans require a personal guarantee, meaning if the business fails to pay, you personally take on the responsibilty of paying the loan. It can't hurt to check with local business bankers and see if they say otherwise, though.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.