Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Radio Shack Asked For ID

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KYBOSH

KYBOSH
  • Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:53 PM

Below is the email I wrote to the District Manager.

Good Evening,

I am writing you in regards to a willful violation of the VISA merchant agreement that occurred at two Radio Shack stores in your district.

The first occurred this evening at the Radio Shack on Hwy [redacted] where I attempted to purchase a few items totaling just under $25.

After I swiped my VISA card the cashier, whose name was [redacted], requested that I hand the card over.

After handing over my credit card, [redacted] then requested that I produce my driver's license which I politely refused.

When asked why I told him that an ID is not required to complete my transaction with my VISA card and as a rule I do not produce it for security/privacy reasons.

Without incident Courtney, requested the manager on duty, whose name was [redacted] , to give him permission to proceed with the transaction.

She also questioned why I would not show my driver's license and I again I stated that my signature (which was present on the card) was all that was required to complete the transaction with my Visa card and that it was in the merchant agreement that Radio Shack has with Visa. She then REFUSED my transaction unless I produced identification. I again explained to her that I, as a rule do not hand over my ID due to security and privacy reasons nor did I need to do so to complete the transaction. She flatly refused to accept my card and cancelled my transaction.

I left the store without making a purchase and drove to the Radio Shack located in XXXXX Mall.

I again was asked for my ID by the cashier there.

I am very disappointed with Radio Shack, the management that I encountered and what seems to be the store policy of refusing a transaction without a government ID. Even after being reminded of the card acceptance guidelines for Visa card transactions I was still refused the opportunity to complete my transaction wasting both my time and money traveling to both store sites.

According to the Card Acceptance Guidelines For Visa Merchants, under the Card Verification and Identification section (pg. 32-34) its says the following:

When should you ask a cardholder for an official government ID?

Although Visa rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID except in the specific circumstances discussed in this guide, merchants cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance. Therefore, merchants cannot as part of their regular card acceptance procedures refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID.

I have included both the html link and the actual guideline in pdf form for your convenience.

Card Acceptance Guidelines for Visa Merchants

http://usa.visa.com/...a-merchants.pdf

I would also like to inform you that I have already filed an incident report with Visa USA.

My request is simply, I would like for you to direct the management and staff under your supervision that refusing to complete a purchase transaction solely on the basis of refusal to produce a government ID is against the Visa-Merchant policy.

I hope that you are the only member of Radio Shack's upper management I need to contact in order to get this issue resolved.

And I hope not to be refused completion of my transaction when using my Visa card again in the near future.

Thank you for your attention and I look forward to hearing response.

KYBOSH

Incident report filed last night.
They took the report and gave an incident number and told me someone would look it over.
They then told me to direct any future problems to the bank the VISA is issued through.

I haven't heard anything from VISA or DM yet but its only been a day.
In a few days I will release an executive carpet bomb and see if I can shake something out of that tree.

#2 Uncle Leo

Uncle Leo
  • Bloggers
  • 8,701 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:04 PM

They took the report and gave an incident number and told me someone would look it over.
They then told me to direct any future problems to the bank the VISA is issued through.

It's Visa's policy. It is not the issuing bank's policy.

#3 KYBOSH

KYBOSH
  • Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:30 PM

I know.
I think they would prefer the issuing bank to take these reports in addition to their duties servicing their cardholders.
That frees VISA staff so they can .... uhmm.... Yeah.

#4 KYBOSH

KYBOSH
  • Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:14 PM

I've gotten no response from RS or *surprise* VISA about this.
Any ideas?

#5 Uncle Leo

Uncle Leo
  • Bloggers
  • 8,701 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

I've gotten no response from RS or *surprise* VISA about this.
Any ideas?

I don't think you ever will get a response from Visa, so that's out.

You should get a response from RS, though. I'd follow up with another snail-mail letter to their CEO and ask why they won't even respond.

#6 FlyingRon

FlyingRon
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

District Managers at Radio Snack are as corrupt as the counter staff.   My son was an employee at Radio Snack who got ultimately screwed.   The manager was stealing cell phones and then was caught setting fire to the storeroom to cover up the shortages.   The district manager just came in and strong armed all the employees with access to the back room to admit they stole some number of the missing phones.    I told my son not to give in and if they wanted to file a complaint with the police I had a whole family of laywers to rival Tandy's.

#7 rslifkin

rslifkin

Joseph C unchained

• CB JAIL
  • 5,217 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

+1

Report them here

(clickable links)

MasterCard

American Express 

Visa

Edited by rslifkin, 05 July 2013 - 02:20 PM.

#8 tophie

tophie
  • Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:41 PM

Just show them your ID.  There is nothing wrong with it.  There is so much credit card theft out there.  The credit card companies really offer no protection to merchants if they accept a credit card that is stolen.  Checking for your ID ensures that it is your card and someone isn't using it that shouldn't be.  Most people should be happy that they did this.  

#9 FlyingRon

FlyingRon
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

Checkin the ID provides little to no protection.   Checking ID exposes you to inordinate problems with identity theft.    As soon as everybody got paranoid about SSNs (and some regulatory protections were put in place), guess what?   Your DRIVERS LICENSE NUMBER is now the defacto magic number to identify you in the online banking industry.   Don't believe me.   Go to one of the online banks and try to create your account without one.

I'm not showing my driver's license to anybody other than the cops.   I don't trust Radio Snack clerks or TSA TDC's.   Both have been shown to have no provisions to guarantee integrity.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.