Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

The new guide to establish business credit.

Business Credit How to DNB PG

• Please log in to reply
380 replies to this topic

#51 alplouis

alplouis
  • Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:29 PM

I was able to get my company listed online and with 411. You will to register with all the search engine sites. Yahoo, Google maps, map quest, Bing, MSN and superpages. It takes time. The only other way is to pay for a monthly service through Verizon or ATT.

#52 Durnit

Durnit
  • Members
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:41 PM

Yeah, I'm just waiting for them to show up. We can be found on google places, yahoo, bing, ask.com and a few other places so I'm not worried about yellowpages. We can also be found in some places by searching for the company phone #

#53 Kavey

Kavey
  • Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:44 PM

This time it went through in like 2 days.

#54 Durnit

Durnit
  • Members
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:56 PM

I'm starting to get irritated. If I google, yahoo, bing or whatever our phone # our listings take up just about the entire page. However when I search for the company name I'm not getting as many results to come back. Anyone have any suggestions?

#55 alplouis

alplouis
  • Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:26 PM

I'm starting to get irritated. If I google, yahoo, bing or whatever our phone # our listings take up just about the entire page. However when I search for the company name I'm not getting as many results to come back. Anyone have any suggestions?

Why are you irritated? You company's phone number is listed. That's what matters. Do you have a website? If so, you need to list your website with all of the major listing services. That should do it.

#56 Durnit

Durnit
  • Members
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:40 AM

Yes I have one. It's listed with them all. What's bothering me is I feel like people only google phone numbers when they've missed a call from that particular number. If they are looking for my companies phone number and they're trying to find it by name they have less of a chance of finding it by name. I get hits, I always ask new callers how they heard of us and it's usually the internet. I just want it to take up more room on the front page than it does.

#57 ArchonInitiative

ArchonInitiative
  • Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:26 AM

Google changed their algorithm, and I am not surprised at your results.

It takes time to get going.

#58 stroked89coupe

stroked89coupe

Troll Patrol

• Mod Squad
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

Usually when potential customers search for a business they don't search for a business name but rather what type of services that business offers. For us people would type in things like ''Landscape Lighting'', ''Sprinkler systems'' or ''Lawn Service''. Then google would factor in your radius (In Miles) that you selected when setting up your ad with them in determining who pops up under the google search that was performed.

So as far as POTENTIAL customers go, Chances are they are not searching for your actual business name. So don't sweat it. :glare:

#59 Durnit

Durnit
  • Members
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:32 PM

Usually when potential customers search for a business they don't search for a business name but rather what type of services that business offers. For us people would type in things like ''Landscape Lighting'', ''Sprinkler systems'' or ''Lawn Service''. Then google would factor in your radius (In Miles) that you selected when setting up your ad with them in determining who pops up under the google search that was performed.

So as far as POTENTIAL customers go, Chances are they are not searching for your actual business name. So don't sweat it. :glare:

Hadn't thought about that. I guess I did something right, because we are getting a few calls. Thanks!

Edited by Durnit, 18 December 2011 - 09:33 PM.

#60 Durnit

Durnit
  • Members
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:34 PM

Google changed their algorithm, and I am not surprised at your results.

It takes time to get going.

:good:

#61 stroked89coupe

stroked89coupe

Troll Patrol

• Mod Squad
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:50 PM

Also be sure you list ALL of your services that you offer. The more the better in most cases.

#62 e083697

e083697
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

This is what worked for me. Use it only as a guide. I think it can really help people that want to know the general process of how things work in the ''new age'' of establishing business credit.

Ok if you want to get some business credit it's NOT going to be instant. If you look in my signature where it lists my trades you can see exactly how much I have and who has extended me credit. Starting from the top. Left to right. Is the order they were obtained. So you can look at it as ''Easiest'' to Hardest'' if your just starting out.

The first thing you need to do is sign up with google places using your business name and information.. 411 directory. White pages online. Yellow pages online. Superpages online. And any other directory you can find. It's hard to get listed with 411 but it's a must if you want credit. A lot of times before businesses will extend credit they will verify the business information by searching for the phone number on 411. Getting listed on 411 will take a cupple of months. Unfortunatly thats just how long it takes. 411 Get's their information from other ''Sources'' as well as accepting submissions through their own site.. By signing up for everything above it will not only help you get listed quicker but it will help you receive more business when people search for ''Towing company's'' ect. Trust me. The phone will start ringing off of the hook.

Next. Sign up with DNB. https://iupdate.dnb....okup.htm</span> DNB can automaticly create a file for you if you have been in business for a while (Similiar to how 411 works, You don't have to actually sign up with them but you can still get listed. (Just takes longer). It's best if you sign up with DNB before they create a file for you. If they create a file with incorrect owner information it may be hard for you to get in at that time because you won't be able to ''verify'' the correct information they have on file, Which may be incorrect.

DNB has a credit file for your business and reports ''Trade lines'' (Net 30's, Net 7's, Net 14's ect) and your payment history from company's that CHOOSE to report to DNB. DNB only handles NET accounts. Revolving accounts are usually reported to Experian or Equifax. These are the only 3 business credit reorting agencies that you need to worry about.

DNB is FREE! DNB is FREE! I can sign on and look at my payment history, Change company information and dispute tradlies that are not mine (Happens occasionally. If they are reporting good leave them. If they are derogatory dispute them) at any time through IUPDATE. DNB will call you every month or after you sign on through IUPDATE and try to tell you that you have to buy a credit package from them for you to get any credit ect. WRONG! They will tell you that 14 people have accessed your credit file but enless you have this package they won't be able access your file.You won't realize it at first but almost every time they call you they will be attempting to sell yo something. You won't realize it untill after they are talking with you for a cupple of minutes.

With the old E-Update (Before they changed it to IUPDATE) you had to call in to get access to be able to login online to view anything. If this is still the case AGAIN they will try to say that you have to buy a credit package to be able to veiw anything about your company through IUPDATE. Tell them as many times as it takes.... "' No thanks I'd jut like access to IUPDATE''. DNB gives sales people a bad rap. They will lie to your face. They will probably tell you it can't be done anymore without paying for one of their packages. If you can't get anywhere call back and talk to someone else.

Next you can start calling the companys listed in my signature. Again starting from left to right. Some will ask to pre-pay for 90 days .You may be able to get your credit file going quicker if they do give you the prepay option and you decide to take it. Some won't ask at all. I choose not to prepay for those that asked. Which was ULINE. Grainger is one of the easiest accounts to get. You can usually get it as long as you are listed with the Secratary of State. Even if you don't have any other business credit. Usually they will start you off with a 1000.00 Credit line. It's best to place an order of about 75.00 or above that way it reports as 100.00 (It's usually rounded up). 50.00 trade lines are ok but 100's or above look better. Don't buy stuff you don't need enless you just have that money to waste. Some companys take months to report. Some take weeks.

Grainger and quill are the quickest to report (Out of thetrade lines that I have). they usually report within weeks. Most everyone in my signature asks for a DNB number. They can find you on DNB even if you don't give them one by simply searching using their software. The company's in my signature are company's that I know of that REPORT to DNB with the EXCEPTION of global industrial and Pep boys (Does not report) and ULINE (Which does report but they asked me to pre-pay for 90 days and I said no thanks). A lot of other companys offer NET accounts but don't report. Some other companys that DO report but are not listed in my signature are....( I still can't get these because of certain unknown reasons)

Ikea
Office Depot

Once you start viewing your report online you will have a good idea on whats going on and when you can move to the next step. I try to order from everyone about every 2-3 months. That way the information stays current. I did this especially when I first started up.

And for those of you wondering about Experian and Equifax CRA's that I mentioned earlier (The only other two major business CRA's out there) there's a little trick on checking your progress with them. Both of these CRA's automaticly made a file for me by getting information through their ''sources'' this happend even before any trades started reporting. If you want to check to see how many trades you have reporting on EX or EQ you can simply search for your business and it will show you. Once you actually have a file with them you know you are on the right path.

Experian - http://www.experian....dit.jsp?mlt=bca

Equifax - http://www.equifax.c...ness/home/en_sb

Any questions about ANYTHING? Post up here and let me know!

#63 COU Marketing Group Inc.

COU Marketing Group Inc.
  • Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

This is what I did also when I first got started. And I can say for sure that it took 1-3 months to get into 411 after I listed myself with everyone imaginable. Including localeze.

I remember because I used to check 411 all of the time to see if I was in there. It seemed like the only goal at the time.lol :swoon:

Ok, so should I just not do anything at all until I'm listed with 411? Do not apply for anything until I'm listed there?

I have mixed feelings about you suggesting to use a UPS Store box because many people said not to do it because they can just google the address and see it's a UPS Store. If I put a suite number and I live in an apartment, which I do, then that could be a red flag for not being honest. What do you think?

#64 Nocturnal

Nocturnal
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:28 PM

I was over at another forum and there are posts going back to 2009 which indicates many of the companies the OP has stated that they report, no longer report to DNB or Experian business credit.

Any comments on this?

#65 Ismail

Ismail
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

just ordered products thru Uline, Grainger and nebs-- minimum spent between $50.00 to $60.00. Uline let me use net 30 account for the order, which is really nice, while Grainger and Nebs expect you to pay the order using your credit cards.

My question is and does any one know---should I use my personal Credit cards to make the payments or should I open new account under my business name from my bank and order cheques using my company name to pay the order?? Also, how should they know my Duns number to make the trade reference?? Should I tell them and notify them after I make the payments and receiced orders.

Thanks and your reply is always appreciated.

Thanks much!!!!

#66 stroked89coupe

stroked89coupe

Troll Patrol

• Mod Squad
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

This is what I did also when I first got started. And I can say for sure that it took 1-3 months to get into 411 after I listed myself with everyone imaginable. Including localeze.

I remember because I used to check 411 all of the time to see if I was in there. It seemed like the only goal at the time.lol :swoon:

Ok, so should I just not do anything at all until I'm listed with 411? Do not apply for anything until I'm listed there?

I have mixed feelings about you suggesting to use a UPS Store box because many people said not to do it because they can just google the address and see it's a UPS Store. If I put a suite number and I live in an apartment, which I do, then that could be a red flag for not being honest. What do you think?

To be honest I don't think you will have any issues doing either one. I think it all comes to prefrence. I would avoid putting an apt number on any apps for credit. How would that look to you? There is nothing wrong with running a business out of your home or apt. I do it myself. But company's are much more likley to put you at a higher risk then if you were at a commercial address.

And that's what they look for. They don't google to see if the address is a ups store but rather if the address is zoned commercial or residential. I have not had a problem that I know of with any of this except possibly with Valero (Fuel cards). I kept getting denied over and over and finially they told me it was because I was high risk. BUT that could be anything from how long the business has been established to the nature of the business. So I am assuming it was one of those things and not related to any address possibilities....

#67 stroked89coupe

stroked89coupe

Troll Patrol

• Mod Squad
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

just ordered products thru Uline, Grainger and nebs-- minimum spent between $50.00 to $60.00. Uline let me use net 30 account for the order, which is really nice, while Grainger and Nebs expect you to pay the order using your credit cards.

My question is and does any one know---should I use my personal Credit cards to make the payments or should I open new account under my business name from my bank and order cheques using my company name to pay the order?? Also, how should they know my Duns number to make the trade reference?? Should I tell them and notify them after I make the payments and receiced orders.

Thanks much!!!!

Grainger did not open you up an account under your business name and allow net 30 payments???? WOW. They used to be the easiest. They were actually my first. I would call them up to try to get an account. Be sure to have your TAX I.D. number and DNB number if possible.

You can use what ever card you like to pay for orders. Personal or business. It's just a matter of prefrence. I personally use a personal card (Don't have any pg or non-pg business cards except for a business debit card) that offers cash back of 1.5%. I use that card for EVERYTHING. The only time I don't use it is when they won't take a credit card for an account payment (Wex/Jiffy lube/ pepboys/mortgage)

When these big comapnys report they do ''Data dumps'' Which sometimes is only company name and address. From there DNB takes it and attempts to apply it to the correct account. It always helps if you provide them with your DNB number at the time of the app if they allow you to. A lot of times they will ask what your DNB is on the application for credit. Sometimes you can call and provide them with that information after the fact.

They can always find your credit file even without your DNB number. So i'm assuming even when you don't supply them with that they somehow link that to your account during the app process.

#68 Durnit

Durnit
  • Members
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:25 AM

Grainger wouldn't give me an account without prepaying either. Quill and Uline did though. I'm planning my Grainger order for next month. I use my personal cards for payments, actually I use a Kroger prepaid debit card which earns me fuel points from their gas stations. I don't think using a UPS store would matter I know people that do it

#69 Durnit

Durnit
  • Members
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:10 AM

Well I must've done something right. I got a call from an advertising company wanting to put a 3x3 ad on our local news stations web page. Thought it was a joke, e-mailed the news station and they said it was real. They said they found the company online. I won't be taking advantage of it, but it was a good feeling that we are being found easily.

#70 Nocturnal

Nocturnal
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

Durnit,

How much DNB TLs did you have when you applied and was approved for FedEx Office and Shipping? I have two on my DNB report but I was declined from FedEx Office as of 1/23/12. They said not enough credit history to provide me net 30.

#71 stroked89coupe

stroked89coupe

Troll Patrol

• Mod Squad
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:50 PM

FWIW I applied when I was at the half way mark of what is currently in my sig and both demanded a credit card on file with 90 days of shipping history... I said no thanks!!!!

Edited by stroked89coupe, 24 January 2012 - 07:08 PM.

#72 Nocturnal

Nocturnal
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:37 AM

FWIW I applied when I was at the half way mark of what is currently in my sig and both demanded a credit card on file with 90 days of shipping history... I said no thanks!!!!

I have a question, do you have a rating with DNB? Did you submit all of your financial information to DNB?

#73 Ismail

Ismail
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:23 PM

Thank you very much.

Grainger.....

http://www.grainger....pen_account.pdf

Uline.....

http://www.uline.com...aspx?FAQ_ID=104

If you dont have any other trade refrences just put down your bank information or leave it blank.

Awesome! Thank you! :-)

#74 Ismail

Ismail
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

Thanks.

Thanks much!!!!

Grainger did not open you up an account under your business name and allow net 30 payments???? WOW. They used to be the easiest. They were actually my first. I would call them up to try to get an account. Be sure to have your TAX I.D. number and DNB number if possible.

You can use what ever card you like to pay for orders. Personal or business. It's just a matter of prefrence. I personally use a personal card (Don't have any pg or non-pg business cards except for a business debit card) that offers cash back of 1.5%. I use that card for EVERYTHING. The only time I don't use it is when they won't take a credit card for an account payment (Wex/Jiffy lube/ pepboys/mortgage)

When these big comapnys report they do ''Data dumps'' Which sometimes is only company name and address. From there DNB takes it and attempts to apply it to the correct account. It always helps if you provide them with your DNB number at the time of the app if they allow you to. A lot of times they will ask what your DNB is on the application for credit. Sometimes you can call and provide them with that information after the fact.

They can always find your credit file even without your DNB number. So i'm assuming even when you don't supply them with that they somehow link that to your account during the app process.

#75 sophali

sophali
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

This is an incredible list! Thank you so much for writing this out.

Does anyone have any experience with obtaining credit for a virtual business? I run my business from home but also have office space in San Francisco.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Business, Credit, How to, DNB, PG

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.