Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

25 yr old trying to clear up 3 medical collections...plz help!

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Mixter

Mixter
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:29 PM

Hi everyone! Great forum and am glad to be a part of it!

I have done a lot of research before I even posted this and have gatherd a lot of valuable information. I just have some questions before I start the "battle" against the CRA and CA's.

Here is a quick breakdown of what has happened so far.

I have 3 medical collections on my credit report, all within 3-4 years old. One year ago (8/2011) I called to try and figure out what they were. I disputed them but I believe it was the CRA that told me they were valid. ( I don't know how credible that was) so.....

I called the OC (my hospital) and the CRA which provided me with the Explanation of Beneifits. It shows all the information for what I was billed for. It shows my insurance company at the time who was the payer.
I ended up calling the CA ( I know that is bad) He tried to negotiage a price with me for those 3 amounts and I said no and hung up and haven't looked at my CR again since now.

So another year later, (9/2011) I got all of 3 of my credit reports and they all state the same thing saying I owe those 3 payments.

The thing that I don't understand is at the bottom of my EXPLANATION OF BENEFITS it says.... AMOUNT DUE FROM PATIENT IS $0........ ????
- So why do I owe three different amounts of $100, $178, and $276 on my Credit Report??
- Are those co-pays or something my insurance did not cover?
-Is it some mistake?
If all 3 of my different EXPLANATION OF BENEFITS say $0 DUE FROM PATIENT why do I owe those 3 amounts? I need to see if these amounts are validated before I pursue paying them or battling them for paid or deleted status.

Can anyone give me advice on where to go from here? Who to call or write to? I am inexperienced at this and need the right help.

Thank you to anyone and all who read this.

#2 breeze

breeze

Site Owners & FC XXXVIII <3

• Admin
  • 46,794 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:51 PM

Hi, Were you in the hospital? Often there are charges in addition to the hospital bill. And anesthesiologist, radiologist, etc usually have their own billing departments, and you should have gotten a bill from them if your insurance company didn't pay part or all of it. The standard policy covers 80% of those kinds of charges, after you've met a deductible.

Other variables may come into play with your situation, such as your state of residence and the SOL there, whether or not you still have the same insurance company.

Big advice. Do not talk the the CA - they lie. They work on commissions and they aren't interested in helping you get the bill straightened out, they just want you to pay something - anything. If you pay them, they will call you again so they can get some more money.

#3 Mixter

Mixter
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:46 PM

Hi, Were you in the hospital? Often there are charges in addition to the hospital bill. And anesthesiologist, radiologist, etc usually have their own billing departments, and you should have gotten a bill from them if your insurance company didn't pay part or all of it. The standard policy covers 80% of those kinds of charges, after you've met a deductible.

Other variables may come into play with your situation, such as your state of residence and the SOL there, whether or not you still have the same insurance company.

Big advice. Do not talk the the CA - they lie. They work on commissions and they aren't interested in helping you get the bill straightened out, they just want you to pay something - anything. If you pay them, they will call you again so they can get some more money.

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I was in the hospital two times, no overnights and nothing very serious. I was younger at the time and never knew about any bills. I believe my parents must not have paid them somehow.
I will not talk to anymore CA's on the phone. I have learned.

So assuming that the money I owe is truly valid what is the next step to get them paid for and deleted?

#4 breeze

breeze

• Admin
  • 46,794 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:17 PM

Well, hold on a minute. Were you a minor? Need more info to give you the correct advice. Do you want to pay it even if it isn't your responsibility? Are you in a hurry?

#5 Why Chat

Why Chat
  • Members
  • 21,277 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:56 AM

Did you get original credit reports DIRECTLY from each CRA?? If not, do so. The "3 in 1" or 3rd party monitoring service reports are next to useless for disputing.
To order, visit annualcreditreport.com, or call 1-877-322-8228

You can get these off your reports by following the HIPAA letter program.
http://www.whychat.5u.com/hipltr.html

It is VERY IMPORTANT that you follow ALL the steps and pay careful attention to the directions.

Opt Out

http://www.whychat.5...OPTOUTINST.HTML

Delete old addresses, if possible, if you have moved since the dates of service.

Send the Initial HIPAA dispute letter to each CRA ( follow ALL the directions, they are designed to evade the automated scanning/reading/response computer programs)

http://www.whychat.5.../hipaadisp.html

Once you have done all the above, come back to THIS POST with your results for further assistance ( if you should need it-- it is more than likely that the initial dispute will get them off your reports)

#6 Mixter

Mixter
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:20 AM

Well, hold on a minute. Were you a minor? Need more info to give you the correct advice. Do you want to pay it even if it isn't your responsibility? Are you in a hurry?

No. I was over 18 but I was and currently still am on my parents medical insurance.

The thing is that I am trying to establish credit and build it up. I never really had any before. So I got my 3 credit reports from the Federal Trade Commission website. All three Credit Reports stated the same thing about the 3 medical bills owed. I showed my parents and after reseaching and receiving my explanation of benefits from the OC (my hostipal) my father said it was mostly likely valid and that he just never paid the bills for some reason.

Since I was under his insurance during those hospital visits my father claims the responsibility of the unpaid bills as his, but since I was the one in the hospital as a patient the unpayed bill went on my credit report, which I believe is what happens and is correct.

So either way me or my father has to pay the bills back assuming they are valid, which I believe they are, but I am still not 100% sure as how to know if they are valid.

I am in a hurry to get them off my CR to start a clean slate and get my credit score up.

#7 Mixter

Mixter
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:25 AM

Hello and thank you for your replies.

Whychat.....That is where I got my credit reports from. https://www.annualcr...m/cra/index.jsp

I have disputed the 3 medical bills in the past and the CRA said they were valid and belonged to me. (Would they lie to me about that just to get me to pay them one day??)

-What is the best way to find out if the bills are truly valid?

should I call the insurance company used at the time?

Thanks.

#8 breeze

breeze

• Admin
  • 46,794 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:51 AM

Since I was under his insurance during those hospital visits my father claims the responsibility of the unpaid bills as his, but since I was the one in the hospital as a patient the unpayed bill went on my credit report, which I believe is what happens and is correct.

No, if it was on your father's insurance, legally, he would have been the one to sign the financial responsibility section.

Did you read Why Chat's instructions? You can get these deleted, and you (or your father) would pay the original creditors in the process. However, the process is very specific, and each step must be done completely and in sequence. It works 99% of the time.

#9 Mixter

Mixter
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:04 PM

No, if it was on your father's insurance, legally, he would have been the one to sign the financial responsibility section.

Did you read Why Chat's instructions? You can get these deleted, and you (or your father) would pay the original creditors in the process. However, the process is very specific, and each step must be done completely and in sequence. It works 99% of the time.

Ok thanks.

I have read his instructions.

Ok so I find out if these are valid claims by sending the PRE HIPAA MEDICAL DISPUTE LETTER TO CRA correct?
by the way my health care provider would be the hospital correct? Not the insurance company? ( sorry I seem ignorant. I just want to make sure)

Then if the claims are valid, how much money do I send? (my claims are $100, $178, and $276) Do I negotiate a price or pay in full?

#10 breeze

breeze

• Admin
  • 46,794 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:08 PM

One step at a time, grasshopper. We do not know the answers to questions 2 and 3 until you get the results of step one. That's the whole point. :)

#11 Why Chat

Why Chat
  • Members
  • 21,277 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:56 PM

Ok thanks.

Ok so I find out if these are valid claims by sending the PRE HIPAA MEDICAL DISPUTE LETTER TO CRA correct?
by the way my health care provider would be the hospital correct? Not the insurance company? ( sorry I seem ignorant. I just want to make sure)

Then if the claims are valid, how much money do I send? (my claims are $100, $178, and $276) Do I negotiate a price or pay in full?

Just follow the directions, you probably don't owe anything to anyone and the accounts will be deleted with the initial dispute-- IF YOU HAVE OPTED OUT AND DELETED OLD ADDRESSES AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE INITIAL DISPUTE LETTER.

It isn't a question of finding out if the original claims are valid or not, it is a question of determining the validity of the REPORTED accounts by the CA ( collection agency).

The initial dispute letter goes to the CRAs, the OC ( original creditor) health care provider's name ONLY shows on YOUR copy of the report, everyone else just sees "medical". When disputing the account use the name of the reporting CA, NOT the name of the OC.

#12 Mixter

Mixter
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:30 PM

Ok thanks.

Just follow the directions, you probably don't owe anything to anyone and the accounts will be deleted with the initial dispute-- IF YOU HAVE OPTED OUT AND DELETED OLD ADDRESSES AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE INITIAL DISPUTE LETTER.

It isn't a question of finding out if the original claims are valid or not, it is a question of determining the validity of the REPORTED accounts by the CA ( collection agency).

The initial dispute letter goes to the CRAs, the OC ( original creditor) health care provider's name ONLY shows on YOUR copy of the report, everyone else just sees "medical". When disputing the account use the name of the reporting CA, NOT the name of the OC.

Ok. I OPTED out of my current address. I am going to do that for old addresses but it says that they will send something to your house for you to fill out and send back. If I put an old address wouldn't that paperwork get sent to that address?

#13 Mixter

Mixter
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

Ok thanks.

Ok. I OPT out of my current address. I am going to do that for old addresses but it says that they will send something to your house for you to fill out and send back. If I put an old address wouldn't that paperwork get sent to that address?

Also, what does RR stand for at the end of the dispute letter?

#14 Mixter

Mixter
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:49 PM

Ok thanks.

Ok. I OPT out of my current address. I am going to do that for old addresses but it says that they will send something to your house for you to fill out and send back. If I put an old address wouldn't that paperwork get sent to that address?

UPDATE:

My credit reports only show my current info (address and #). I have lived at this address for atleast 7 years now. Do I still have to OPT out old addresses?

Also, I know the RR mean Return Receipt now.......BUT why do we send the initial letter with NO RR?

#15 Why Chat

Why Chat
  • Members
  • 21,277 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:02 PM

UPDATE:

My credit reports only show my current info (address and #). I have lived at this address for atleast 7 years now. Do I still have to OPT out old addresses?

Also, I know the RR mean Return Receipt now.......BUT why do we send the initial letter with NO RR?

Please slow down and try to concentrate on the instructions.

Opting out has NOTHING to do with your addresses, a simple on line or telephone call will get you opted out and prevent the CRAs from selling your data. It will also help you in your future by keeping your credit data private.

Here is the link to opt out, just do the top part, not the total opt out. The opt out is for 5 years.
http://www.whychat.5...OPTOUTINST.HTML

And no, you do NOT have to delete your old addresses.

The reason for not sending the initial letter RR is to have it go directly to the CRA department that handles CONSUMER disputes, requiring a signiture for delivery would route it to the department that handles disputes from CROs ( credit repair organizations) and lawyers.

#16 Mixter

Mixter
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:28 PM

Sorry for seeming to rush and ask too many questions. I am just inexperienced in this whole "credit world" that I have just started to dive into.

I do truly appreciate your help Why chat and everyone else. I am going to follow your directions exactly and post updates as I go through the process.

I was reading Chi's 'sticky' overview of Whychat's process and read this:

If this was to be paid by insurance and was not:

You should contact the insurance company to find out if or when the medical provider submitted the bill.
If they had submitted their bill in a timely manner, correctly etc.
If they had not been paid, why.
If it was denied because of the doctors office screw up, ask the insurance companies if the medical provider can refile for insurance payment.

Request the insurance companies send you, in writing, the reason it was not paid and if they will or will not allow the medical provider to re-file.

I would recommend writing to the medical provider and requesting a "full" accounting of your account. Also, request the date they had submitted the bill to the insurance company, and if it was denied, the reason the insurance gave them. Request a copy of the denial letter that the medical provider recieved from the insurance company.

I am going to contact the insurance company to see what I can find out.
I will also send out the initial dispute letters tomorrow.

Do you not recommend doing this?

Thank you!

#17 breeze

breeze

• Admin
  • 46,794 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:42 PM

Nono no. Follow the instructions. Just the instructions. Nothing else. Focus

#18 Mixter

Mixter
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:30 AM

Nono no. Follow the instructions. Just the instructions. Nothing else. Focus

Ok no problem. I just saw Chi's overview and thought that I should do that as well but I won't.

Sending out the initial dispute letters today.

#19 Why Chat

Why Chat
  • Members
  • 21,277 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:18 PM

Sorry for seeming to rush and ask too many questions. I am just inexperienced in this whole "credit world" that I have just started to dive into.

I do truly appreciate your help Why chat and everyone else. I am going to follow your directions exactly and post updates as I go through the process.

I was reading Chi's 'sticky' overview of Whychat's process and read this:

If this was to be paid by insurance and was not:

You should contact the insurance company to find out if or when the medical provider submitted the bill.
If they had submitted their bill in a timely manner, correctly etc.
If they had not been paid, why.
If it was denied because of the doctors office screw up, ask the insurance companies if the medical provider can refile for insurance payment.

Request the insurance companies send you, in writing, the reason it was not paid and if they will or will not allow the medical provider to re-file.

I would recommend writing to the medical provider and requesting a "full" accounting of your account. Also, request the date they had submitted the bill to the insurance company, and if it was denied, the reason the insurance gave them. Request a copy of the denial letter that the medical provider recieved from the insurance company.

I am going to contact the insurance company to see what I can find out.
I will also send out the initial dispute letters tomorrow.

Do you not recommend doing this?

Thank you!

Like "Breeze" said, stick to the plan.

Chi's "overview" is helpful, but you need to remember that the HIPAA letter program is NOT a "one size fits all". The suggestion about contacting the insurance Co. would be valid for someone with a RECENT account, not someone in your situation.

#20 Mixter

Mixter
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:38 PM

[/quote]

Chi's "overview" is helpful, but you need to remember that the HIPAA letter program is NOT a "one size fits all". The suggestion about contacting the insurance Co. would be valid for someone with a RECENT account, not someone in your situation.
[/quote]

Ok. Gotcha

Also, is it ok to write the letter on a few pages since it is fairly long?

And if it is ok, should I staple them together or just fold them together into the envelope?

#21 Why Chat

Why Chat
  • Members
  • 21,277 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:40 PM

Ok. Gotcha

And if it is ok, should I staple them together or just fold them together into the envelope?

WHAT are you talking about???

The ONLY letter you have to write is the initial dispute letter to the CRAs

Here it is in its entirety, not even a half page long.( unless you are writing in longhand and have a VERY large handwriting)

Dear CRA,
My name is xxxxx xxxxxx , my SS # is xxx xx xxxx.
I am sending this dispute certified mail # xxxx to make sure you receive it.
I have no knowledge or records of account # xxxxx from xxxxxx on my report # xxxxx.
Please advise me as to the name and address of the medical provider, the date and type of service,and to whom the service was provided, as any account I might have had would be obsolete.
If you can obtain this information, I also would need the name of the person providing this data, and the manner in which it was provided in order that I may pursue additional legal remedies which may include a complaint against your agency to the OCR on HIPAA violations.
Please take notice that your Credit Reporting Agency falls within the purview of subtitle D of the ARRA , SEC. 13407(1) BREACH OF SECURITY.—The term ‘‘breach of security’’ means, with respect to unsecured PHR identifiable health information of an individual in a personal health record, acquisition of such information without the authorization of the individual.
You are therefore now subject to the jurisdiction of the OCR for HIPAA violations,and the penalty rules of the HITECH Act as issued 11/30/2009.

Very truly yours,
xxxxxx

Make sure you HAND ADDRESS the envelope, use personalized stationery and purple or teal font, ( preferably italic).
DO NOT send it RR -WAIT FOR THE FULL RESPONSE FROM THE CRA BEFORE CONTINUING WITH THE HIPAA LETTER PROCESS

#22 Mixter

Mixter
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:18 PM

Ok. Gotcha

Here it is in its entirety, not even a half page long.( unless you are writing in longhand and have a VERY large handwriting)

Dear CRA,
I have no knowledge or records of account # xxxxx from xxxxxx on my report # xxxxx.
Please advise me as to the name and address of the medical provider, the date and type of service,and to whom the service was provided, as any account I might have had would be obsolete.
If you can obtain this information, I also would need the name of the person providing this data, and the manner in which it was provided in order that I may pursue additional legal remedies which may include a complaint against your agency to the OCR on HIPAA violations.
Please take notice that your Credit Reporting Agency falls within the purview of subtitle D of the ARRA , SEC. 13407(1) BREACH OF SECURITY.—The term ''breach of security'' means, with respect to unsecured PHR identifiable health information of an individual in a personal health record, acquisition of such information without the authorization of the individual.
You are therefore now subject to the jurisdiction of the OCR for HIPAA violations,and the penalty rules of the HITECH Act as issued 11/30/2009.

Very truly yours,
xxxxxx

Make sure you HAND ADDRESS the envelope, use personalized stationery and purple or teal font, ( preferably italic).
DO NOT send it RR -WAIT FOR THE FULL RESPONSE FROM THE CRA BEFORE CONTINUING WITH THE HIPAA LETTER PROCESS

Yes, I know that is the only letter. What I am simply asking is if I run out of room to fit the letter on one page, is it OK to use more than one page?

AND if I DO use more than one page should I staple them together or just fold them together into the envelope?

The only reason I am asking is because you said that these letters go through a machine that a computer reads. If I had more than one page would they get separated and or lost if they are separated and not stapled?
(I guess I am writing large and can't fit the whole letter on one page)

Sorry for the confusion.

#23 Why Chat

Why Chat
  • Members
  • 21,277 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

Ok. Gotcha

Dear CRA,
Please take notice that your Credit Reporting Agency falls within the purview of subtitle D of the ARRA , SEC. 13407(1) BREACH OF SECURITY.—The term ''breach of security'' means, with respect to unsecured PHR identifiable health information of an individual in a personal health record, acquisition of such information without the authorization of the individual.

Very truly yours,
xxxxxx

Yes, I know that is the only letter. What I am simply asking is if I run out of room to fit the letter on one page, is it OK to use more than one page?

AND if I DO use more than one page should I staple them together or just fold them together into the envelope?

The only reason I am asking is because you said that these letters go through a machine that a computer reads. If I had more than one page would they get separated and or lost if they are separated and not stapled?
(I guess I am writing large and can't fit the whole letter on one page)

Sorry for the confusion.

If you are writing in longhand on legal pad paper, use both sides. Make sure you make a copy of both sides.

#24 Mixter

Mixter
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:17 PM

Ok thanks.

I sent the letters out on Friday 9/23

I made copies of every page.

Now the wait.....

#25 Mixter

Mixter
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:10 PM

CRA Delivered Dates:

Trans Union - Delivered - 9/26/11

Equifax - Delivered - 9/27/11

Experian - Delivered - 9/28/11

What is the amount of time they have to respond back?
30 days?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.