Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Best Savings Account

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 inthematrix

inthematrix
  • Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:46 AM

I have about $1000 in Savings I'd like to move somewhere with a higher interest rate. (Yes, I know. That's a sad little amount, but I have to start somewhere!)

Can anyone point me to a good CU or bank online that has a good interest rate on CD or money market? I've done some looking around and Capital One and Sallie Mae are coming up as 1.10 and 1.15. Is that the best out there?

#2 Meltz

Meltz
  • Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:49 AM

I have about $1000 in Savings I'd like to move somewhere with a higher interest rate. (Yes, I know. That's a sad little amount, but I have to start somewhere!)

Can anyone point me to a good CU or bank online that has a good interest rate on CD or money market? I've done some looking around and Capital One and Sallie Mae are coming up as 1.10 and 1.15. Is that the best out there?

Wow that's crazy!!! I was JUST about to post this exact topic/question last night, good thing I waited lol.

#3 foeplay

foeplay

Bump Influence IV

• Members
  • 7,269 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:12 PM

3% Easy Share certificates at NFCU

https://www.navyfede...ertificates.php

#4 inthematrix

inthematrix
  • Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:51 PM

3% Easy Share certificates at NFCU

https://www.navyfede...ertificates.php

I'm not eligible for NFCU :(

#5 Nelly16

Nelly16
  • Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:24 PM

LMCU is great! Their max checking gives 4%. They do a hard pull on TU for membership but that's it. There are requirements (ACH transfer, 4 log ins and 10 transactions) but it's easy to meet. I just transfer $50 a month from another account to cover my transactions, the log ins are covered by my USAA tracking the balance and then the transactions are easy (refilling my starbucks card, photocopies, post office, utilities, snacks etc) I think the most I've spent on the transactions a month is maybe $25. Oh, and it's up to $15k that they pay the 4% on.

ETA---Lake Michigan Credit Union, anyone can join by paying $5 to some foundation listed when you apply

Edited by Nelly16, 05 August 2011 - 02:25 PM.

#6 back2

back2
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:54 AM

The best I have found was Becu(Boeing Employees Credit Union). They have a members advantage checking and savings that pays 6.17% for the first 500.00 in each after that it goes to a blended rate, So if you put 500 in checking and 500 in savings you are golden, for higher balances something like LMCU above would be a better fit.

#7 lakpr

lakpr
  • Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:21 PM

LMCU is great! Their max checking gives 4%. They do a hard pull on TU for membership but that's it. There are requirements (ACH transfer, 4 log ins and 10 transactions) but it's easy to meet. I just transfer $50 a month from another account to cover my transactions, the log ins are covered by my USAA tracking the balance and then the transactions are easy (refilling my starbucks card, photocopies, post office, utilities, snacks etc) I think the most I've spent on the transactions a month is maybe $25. Oh, and it's up to $15k that they pay the 4% on.

ETA---Lake Michigan Credit Union, anyone can join by paying $5 to some foundation listed when you apply

Starting today, the interest rate offered on Max Checking Account is only 3%.

#8 uptomyneck

uptomyneck
  • Bloggers
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:28 AM

The best I have found was Becu(Boeing Employees Credit Union). They have a members advantage checking and savings that pays 6.17% for the first 500.00 in each after that it goes to a blended rate, So if you put 500 in checking and 500 in savings you are golden, for higher balances something like LMCU above would be a better fit.

+1

#9 sophali

sophali
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:07 PM

Thank you so much for this information guys! I am nowhere near having $1000 for savings - but it is good to know for the future. :)

+1

#10 vrhunski

vrhunski
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

lol in my ex-country I got 15% in saving.
(And no tax on that). :))

#11 TheBanker

TheBanker
  • Members
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:36 AM

lol in my ex-country I got 15% in saving.
(And no tax on that). :))

I know that feeling.

The only benefit that I really enjoy about being Middle Eastern is two citizenships that I carry by birth - which allow me to hold deposit accounts in said countries. My primary out-of-the-country savings account is currently earning 9% APY, on a fairly healthy balance.

Edited by TheBanker, 16 January 2012 - 06:36 AM.

#12 saied45

saied45
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

right now tiaa directs is offering 1.24% on savings account. this could change any day

#13 Gaby10

Gaby10

The Anti-Suze

• Members
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:18 AM

I did some sniffing around re: that TIAA Direct account. Folks are reporting two hard pulls and Chex. Apparently they want 750 FICO and very few Chex inquiries... they're not interested in "rate-chasers." Lots of well-heeled people being denied for that. Just FYI.

#14 sedric1

sedric1
  • Members
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

glad i stopped here today. im thinking about the best way to save money. i currently have a few bucks sitting in savings accounts and not making anything..
but i noticed my local cu (community america credit union) is offering 5% apy up to $1500 and then .25 after that.

It would almost seem as though taking advantage of the max in several differnt locations would be a good way to get the best interest? say 1500 at cacu
then 500 at becu

and so forth til you reach the max? or is there a better way?

#15 NewbietoFinance

NewbietoFinance
  • Members
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

How about today? I know this thread is old.. but a valid point, My daughter is a about to get a small sum from Grand Championing her pig in FFA, I'd like to invest it short term to fund her fall project. about 3k or so.

#16 Julie1234

Julie1234
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

Try bankrate.com - they let you check local options as well as national options and you can sort by best interest rate.

I have a Barclays account- which I love. It offered higher interest than even CD accounts, etc..

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.