Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

SSA assigned my SSN to 2 people

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rklise

rklise
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:24 PM

• Here's the situation with my credit. Long story, and it's pretty wild so hang on. When I was deployed to Iraq back in 07 I came home for my 2 weeks of leave. My mama had all my mail. I opened it, and there where at least 3 bills that did not belong to me. Called the companies and found out that someone in DC was using my social. I did a police report, they assigned a detective, and did fraud affidavits and even got a lawyer that did nothing for 2grand. I kept an eye on my reports and stuff kept popping up. When I came home from Fallujah, I went to the SSA to see if they could issue a new # since mine had been compromised. They said no they didn't do that for ID theft. A few months later, I got married and went to change my name. The looked at my SScard birth certificate and their computer and said "this isn't you" WHAT!!!! I told the her I was a victim of ID theft. She looked into the archives and the # was mine. In 1991 it was re-issued to a girl born same month year, same first and last name, dads name the same. They actually went in 1991and changed the birth cert info to hers. What idiot changes the place of birth, I have no clue......
    June-09 I got out of the Corps. Super pregnant and stressed out with everything. My husband was deployed, the tedious process of getting out, and the move back to Moultrie. After I had my son, I went to the SSA and a wonderful lady there started the investigation. WOW. after 2 years, finally an investigation. it took until Jan this year for them to find this girl b/c she only kept an address long enough to run up bills and leave. Now, Jan 2011, they gave her a new # and stuff is still popping up from before she got the new #.
    I gave creditors the letter from the SSA stating that I am me and that the social was issued to 2 people. They want me to file an ID theft affidavit and police report. They won't take anything off until I do. thing is, I can't do that without lying, because it was MISTAKEN identity and she was actually issued thesame#

A little more history behind this. When I was about in Kidnergarden, mama had to prove to the IRS that I was her child because someone else was claiming me. Several other times until I graduated high school she had to do this.

Now this other ladyis still opening new accounts in my name with my social. My credit should be outstanding right now. Instead, its so low you would think I was drowning. She has a new # now and I will be pressing charges.
    What I don't know how to do is fix this. I have had freezes and my statement on the report since this began. It hasn't worked at all. Somehow this other person is still able to open up accounts regardless of the freeze. I have fought with creditors and disputed items on my credit report. As soon as I get 2 things erased 4 more pop up. I feel like I am fighting a losing battle and I am just tired. This has tested my will to the max.
    Does anyone know who I can contact or how to fix this?

#2 breeze

breeze

Site Owners & FC XXXVIII <3

• Admin
  • 47,550 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:37 PM

I would give the creditors what they asked for. If you do everything by mail, you will have a record of what you told them and what they told you. You know? Then if the question ever arises, you have proof that they would not accept SSA's letter.

This is just my opinion, and what I would do since I've had similar experience with lawyers not doing the work on similar issues. In a perfect world, you would pay the lawyer and he/she would help you do what it takes to fix it.

My guess, is that the creditors do not have any protocol for this kind of situation, so the easiest thing for them to do, is get the documents they do have protocol for.

#3 rklise

rklise
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:14 PM

If I file a police report, and a Id theft affidavit stating that my credit was stolen, would that not be fraud, as well? I have given them so much information, by mail, to prove that I am not the owner of the debt. They just want their money. I just want my life back.

#4 breeze

breeze

Site Owners & FC XXXVIII <3

• Admin
  • 47,550 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:51 PM

I know - but I wouldn't call that fraud - fraud involves intent to defraud - that's not what you're doing. I would do what they want - fill out their paperwork, perhaps attach a statement, if it worries you. But there isn't any way anyone would say you are attempting to defraud anyone.

Keep all your paperwork, get proof of delivery for the letters. Very important. Then, if you don't get your life back, sue them all.

#5 rklise

rklise
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:13 PM

Thanks for your advice. I just got more hard inquiries that I am not responsible for, so I will be pressing charges and going through the channels you mentioned for trying to get all previous accounts erased.

#6 WorkingBackInVA

WorkingBackInVA
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for your advice. I just got more hard inquiries that I am not responsible for, so I will be pressing charges and going through the channels you mentioned for trying to get all previous accounts erased.

I've heard that SSA does sometimes issue duplicate numbers but never actually heard of an instance. Try to file an accurate police report stating the facts, attach the SSA letter, etc.

Thank you so much for your service and the many sacrifices you and your husband have made for our country. If you're still in the military, I believe there are some assistance programs yopu may be able to leverage. You might want to take your file to the JAG officer assigned to your unit, or your base.

Finally, I would write this up with supporting documents and write to your congressman and your two senators. Find out which committees of Congress oversee SSA, write to the respective chairman of the Senate and House committee. The has to be a procedure to fix this, that the drones in the offices / call centers won't use.

#7 WatsonColombo

WatsonColombo
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

wow... im so sorry your going through this. I've found it odd on credit reports and chex system it says my social was eligable to be issued in 1990, well then why was it issued so much earlier?!!? I wonder if i shared a social with someone when i was younger.

I'd file the police reports and note that copy of letter from SSA is being provided which explains situation more entirely. It covers your end from filing a 'false' report, and also gives collectors what they need. If need be, ask if you can include a copy of the CA requesting the report to be attatched to file as REASON for your filing the report.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.