Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Citi Forward Card...

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#51 GonnaGetEm

GonnaGetEm

Blush Influence

• Members
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:52 AM

So Mike, will Citi pull a credit report other than Experian if requested during the app process?

wow, all I can share is that in order to make a credit decision, Citi could pull a report from either of the major credit bureaus

regards,
Mike, Citi

oops, sorry I didn't realize there was a page 2 to this thread for some reason, and didn't see your reply until now. Thanks for replying!

I think it's strange how for my Sunoco card, Citi pulled EQ initially but now randomly pulls whatever bureau they want to when I request a CLI.

It's been over a year and my FICO score has gone up about 50-75 points since I got the account, I never paid late or went over my limit, and I keep getting denied for CLIs with a hard pull every time... :(

And thing is, my husband does lawns and landscaping for a living, we have 4 drivers in the house, and my husband also races cars ONLY ON SUNOCO GAS at the local IHRA track, yet we can't get a limit over $500.... which is why we have stopped using the card for gas. Every 2 weeks it's maxed! *sigh*

#52 Mike_Citi

Mike_Citi

Citibank Representative

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:35 AM

Mike, does Citi do hard credit pulls for opening checking accounts? I got one of those "get 25k TY points for opening a The Citibank Account" offers in the mail.

Mike, does Citi do hard credit pulls for opening checking accounts? I got one of those "get 25k TY points for opening a The Citibank Account" offers in the mail.

tjguitar, researching this for you, will get back to you shortly...

Mike Cardace
Citi

Beat you to it! :yahoo:

They will only pull your credit if you DONT opt-out for overdraft protection.

I received a similar promotion for AAdvantage miles if I opened up a checking account and I too was unsure if they would pull my credit.

I walked in to an actual branch and spoke with one of their senior bankers. This is what she explained to me:

If you signup online, there is no option to opt-out of this and your credit will be pulled automatically.

If you go to an actual branch with the promotional letter that you received, the banker has the ability to uncheck the overdraft option which will override the credit check when submitting the paperwork for the checking account.

Chexsystems will be checked though.

aftermath, yes, you beat me to it! I'll get you next time! My response to tjguitar on this has been slightly delayed because I got some additional information from internal contacts and want to make sure it's correct. So, I'm triple checking with internal contacts before I respond.

Regards,

Mike
Citi

#53 Mike_Citi

Mike_Citi

Citibank Representative

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:55 AM

waralpha, I agree with the response you got from our customer service representative via phone. Here is the phone number that will get you directly to the Citi Cards application center: 1-800-248-4226. Give it a try tomorrow (Tuesday). Also, if you use Twitter, you can reach our customer service handle @AskCiti to ask questions and get help.

We also invite you to connect with us on Facebook (@Citibank) and follow @Citibank on Twitter for news/information/special offers.

Thanks for your application for the Citi Forward Card, and for already being a customer!

Regards,

Mike Cardace, Citi

Customer Service & Advocacy

michael.cardace@citi.com

Hey! I love the Citi card's virtual CC. I feel safer doing online biz using it.

Glad you love that feature! Thx for spreading the word.

Regards,
Mike, Citi

#54 Mike_Citi

Mike_Citi

Citibank Representative

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:05 AM

Mike,

I'm sure you're overwhelmed with questions, but I really appreciate you being here. I'm sure everyone else feels the same.

Allow me to add my question to the pile;

Is there a standard policy when it comes to BK age required for (a chance at) approval? Many issuers have a set 'your BK must be X years old before we'll consider you'. If so, how is that affected by whether Citi was included in the BK? Finally, is this a standard policy across all Citi serviced accounts (including retail brands) or does it differ?

Thanks again!

PS - Maybe we should start a Mike thread.. :)

Hello jds, thanks for the warm welcome. If you start a 'Mike' thread, I'm changing my name to Fred, kiddin. :D

As for your question, I'm sorry but we don't share information as it relates to credit policy. You can visit Citi's www.usecreditwisely site to find some resources, but you won't find a specifci answer to your question.

Regards,
Mike Cardace, Citi

#55 BDK

BDK

Bump Influence Scroll Keeper III

• Members
  • 11,377 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:34 AM

... and my FICO score has gone up about 50-75 points ...

Hi GGE, maybe you could update your siggy to reflect a newer score? Just sayin', it has been awhile... :D

#56 GonnaGetEm

GonnaGetEm

Blush Influence

• Members
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:32 PM

... and my FICO score has gone up about 50-75 points ...

Hi GGE, maybe you could update your siggy to reflect a newer score? Just sayin', it has been awhile... :D

Not if the sig feature is as quirky as it used to be! Besides, I like this one. It documents such a big moment in my credit journey!

But right now I have 3 bank cards that have quite high utilization, so my scores are reflecting that (naturally). It won't be like this too long. Currently my EQ is only 653 and my TU is 661. My EX is is a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a burrito dipped in cheese.

#57 TEL

TEL
  • Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:02 PM

waralpha, I agree with the response you got from our customer service representative via phone. Here is the phone number that will get you directly to the Citi Cards application center: 1-800-248-4226. Give it a try tomorrow (Tuesday). Also, if you use Twitter, you can reach our customer service handle @AskCiti to ask questions and get help.

We also invite you to connect with us on Facebook (@Citibank) and follow @Citibank on Twitter for news/information/special offers.

Thanks for your application for the Citi Forward Card, and for already being a customer!

Regards,

Mike Cardace, Citi

michael.cardace@citi.com

:swoon:

#58 Mike Lowry

Mike Lowry
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:52 PM

Regards,

Mike Cardace, Citi

michael.cardace@citi.com

Haha! I had the same reaction after seeing this post by Mike from Citi. Welcome to CB Mike, and don't take the haters too seriously. Thanks for sharing information with us.

#59 VK

VK
  • Members
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:36 PM

I want to extend a sincere thanks to Mike Lowry from Mike Citi for welcoming him to CB....returning the favor, and welcoming Mike Lowry to CB!

#60 Mike_Citi

Mike_Citi

Citibank Representative

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:10 AM

Regards,

Mike Cardace, Citi

michael.cardace@citi.com

Haha! I had the same reaction after seeing this post by Mike from Citi. Welcome to CB Mike, and don't take the haters too seriously. Thanks for sharing information with us.

Mike L, thx for the welcome! I'm totally prepared for all types of feedback. That's what I love about CB, and Web 2.0 in general. It's great to have real conversations and exchange important info for all to see, and benefit from. And, it's fun. :D

Happy holiday weekend to you, and all on the thread,

Mike, Citi

#61 Mike_Citi

Mike_Citi

Citibank Representative

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:21 AM

Mike Cardace
Citi

I received a similar promotion for AAdvantage miles if I opened up a checking account and I too was unsure if they would pull my credit.

I walked in to an actual branch and spoke with one of their senior bankers. This is what she explained to me:

If you signup online, there is no option to opt-out of this and your credit will be pulled automatically.

If you go to an actual branch with the promotional letter that you received, the banker has the ability to uncheck the overdraft option which will override the credit check when submitting the paperwork for the checking account.

My apologies to tjguitar for the delay in answering this question. I wanted to make sure I got it right. Here is the final correct answer (aftermath, the answer you received in the branch you visited was mostly correct, but there is a clarification below as it relates to opening a checking account online):

Citibank does not request a hard bureau inquiry of a individual’s credit report when opening a new checking account. This is true regardless of whether a prospective customer opens a new account by phone, in-branch, or online. One very important note though, if the prospective customer applies for Checking Plus (overdraft protection credit product) or any other credit product that Citi offers, then we will request a “hard inquiry” of their credit report. This is true for account openings through phone, in branches, and online.

ps: I want to publicly thank tjguitar (for asking this question) and aftermath (for contributing). While researching the answer, we came across a site (www.fatwallet.com) that published some misinformation about Citi requesting 'hard inquiries' when customers open new checking accounts. As a result, we'll be asking that site to make corrections. So, a huge "THANKS" to you both from all of us at Citi!

pps: aftermath, if you don't mind, can you PM me which Citi branch you visited? I want to make sure they see this information, as well. Thx!

Regards,

Mike, Citi
michael.cardace@citi.com

#62 aftermath

aftermath
  • Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:56 AM

Mike Cardace
Citi

My apologies to tjguitar for the delay in answering this question. I wanted to make sure I got it right. Here is the final correct answer (aftermath, the answer you received in the branch you visited was mostly correct, but there is a clarification below as it relates to opening a checking account online):

Citibank does not request a hard bureau inquiry of a individual’s credit report when opening a new checking account. This is true regardless of whether a prospective customer opens a new account by phone, in-branch, or online. One very important note though, if the prospective customer applies for Checking Plus (overdraft protection credit product) or any other credit product that Citi offers, then we will request a “hard inquiry” of their credit report. This is true for account openings through phone, in branches, and online.

ps: I want to publicly thank tjguitar (for asking this question) and aftermath (for contributing). While researching the answer, we came across a site (www.fatwallet.com) that published some misinformation about Citi requesting 'hard inquiries' when customers open new checking accounts. As a result, we'll be asking that site to make corrections. So, a huge "THANKS" to you both from all of us at Citi!

pps: aftermath, if you don't mind, can you PM me which Citi branch you visited? I want to make sure they see this information, as well. Thx!

Regards,

Mike, Citi
michael.cardace@citi.com

Hi Mike,

I really don't know who to believe. If you go over to flyertalk.com there is a thread dedicated to an "American Airlines bonus for opening a checking account" and numerous people have confirmed that they received a hard inquiry when opening up an account online. That is the only reason why I went into a branch in person and what the banker there told me coincides with the information I heard online.

This is not the first time that different departments/branches of a bank have had a different understanding of how things work within their own company.

I'm a believer of hard facts. People have shown hard inquires for opening up accounts online, and the banker showed me that a hard inquiry can be avoided. So I tend to believe them over a random CSR who says someone "told" them this information. Just like how the Citi CSR on the phone TOLD me that my CLI would be a soft inquiry when in fact it turned out to be a hard. <_<

Fatwallet isn't the only site that is reporting hard inquiries for opening up a Citi account. You have to wonder and ask yourself why so many different financial and travel sites are reporting this. Maybe because it's true? ;)

Edited by aftermath, 01 July 2011 - 12:00 PM.

#63 Mike_Citi

Mike_Citi

Citibank Representative

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:32 PM

As long as there are no "credit" products involved (e.g. Checking Plus - overdraft protection credit protect), then Citibank does not request a hard bureau inquiry when a prospective customer opens a new checking account, regardless of the channel (phone, in-branch, online).

There will always be some misinformation on 3rd party sites because we do not own them. As we come across mistakes, we ask them to fix. As far as different messages from Citibank employees/departments, that's never acceptable. Part of my job is to find examples, and fix.

Thx,
Mike

#64 aftermath

aftermath
  • Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:38 PM

As long as there are no "credit" products involved (e.g. Checking Plus - overdraft protection credit protect), then Citibank does not request a hard bureau inquiry when a prospective customer opens a new checking account, regardless of the channel (phone, in-branch, online).

There will always be some misinformation on 3rd party sites because we do not own them. As we come across mistakes, we ask them to fix. As far as different messages from Citibank employees/departments, that's never acceptable. Part of my job is to find examples, and fix.

Thx,
Mike

Can you fix my hard inquiry that was told would be a soft inquiry? :dntknw:

#65 cashnocredit

cashnocredit

cash AND credit

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:40 PM

I have Citi savings and checking as well as the CC. The only hard they pulled was for the CC.

#66 Mike_Citi

Mike_Citi

Citibank Representative

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:04 PM

Thx,
Mike

Can you fix my hard inquiry that was told would be a soft inquiry? :dntknw:

aftermath, if you called Citi to request a CLI, you should have been told it would result in a hard inquiry. I will send you a PM to discuss further.

Regards,
Mike

#67 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence <3

• Members
  • 34,078 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:38 PM

While researching the answer, we came across a site...that published some misinformation...

#68 Jpoots82

Jpoots82
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:57 PM

Mike -

I was approved for a Platinum Select back in April, but had a change of heart and wanted the ThankYou card instead...called them up after about a month and was told that was fine I could upgrade to any card I wanted. My question is...if you change to that card instead of applying directly for it, do you still get the10,000 bonus ThankYou points for spending $500 in 3 months?

#69 tjguitar

tjguitar
  • Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:05 PM

Mike -

I was approved for a Platinum Select back in April, but had a change of heart and wanted the ThankYou card instead...called them up after about a month and was told that was fine I could upgrade to any card I wanted. My question is...if you change to that card instead of applying directly for it, do you still get the10,000 bonus ThankYou points for spending $500 in 3 months?

Highly unlikely.

#70 Jpoots82

Jpoots82
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:54 PM

Mike -

Highly unlikely.

Actually I called them yesterday and they said I do, but thanks anyway. Posted Image

#71 Mike_Citi

Mike_Citi

Citibank Representative

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:28 PM

Mike -

Highly unlikely.

Actually I called them yesterday and they said I do, but thanks anyway. Posted Image

Excellent news!! Whenever you decide to redeem points, send us a tweet @Citibank if you'd like to share what you got!

Take care,

Mike Cardace, Citi

#72 tjguitar

tjguitar
  • Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:05 PM

Mike -

Highly unlikely.

Thats awesome. Perhaps because you never activated the card you applied for?

#73 tjguitar

tjguitar
  • Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:00 PM

Another question for Mike!

Does CITI allow product changes on the credit cards? Like, If I wanted to switch from ThankYou Preferred to the Dividend Platinum Select card...?

#74 Jpoots82

Jpoots82
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:34 PM

Another question for Mike!

Does CITI allow product changes on the credit cards? Like, If I wanted to switch from ThankYou Preferred to the Dividend Platinum Select card...?

They do, that's what I posted a little higher up :)

I went from Plat. Select to ThankYou...it was a very relatively painless process, the guy took all of about 5 minutes and as a result of switching I got a lower APR on the ThankYou plus the added bonus of the rewards points that you get for using the card.

#75 Gjnnets

Gjnnets
  • Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:31 PM

Mike,

I applied for the Citi Hilton Honors CC however my TU and EX files are frozen so no decision was rendered. How can I get your colleagues to pull my EQ which currently isn't frozen?

Thanks!
Gj

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.