Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Coach

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 got15plus1

got15plus1
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:39 PM

I am fairly new here, as i've been lurking for a while.. So, when I went to Coach today, I figured I would test the ID check.

I didn't take long to pick out my wallet, as i've been doing a lot of research online and went to the cash register to pay. Much to my surprise the cashier never even blinked when handed the card. She flipped it to see if it was signed, swiped it, handed me the register receipt and compared the signatures when I handed it back. I actually am surprised how thorough she was and it made me have faith that there are retailers who actually abide by the rules and i'm very pleased with my random test.

All in all a very positive experience and now I guess I should try it somewhere that isn't "higher end" just to see the discrepancies (if any) between the two.

Take care,

CK

#2 wanabe

wanabe
  • Members
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:20 PM

Every where I shop and use CC they always ask for ID.

#3 Castleton

Castleton
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:52 AM

Every where I shop and use CC they always ask for ID.

Completely prohibited and outrageous! Immediately call 1-800-VISA-911. Make sure those horribly behaving cashiers shape-up and never ask for ID again. And if anything like this should ever happen to you again, simply call 1-800-VISA-911 on-the-spot. They will walk the violating cashier step-by-step through proper card acceptance procedure.

CREDIT CARD SIGNATURE IS ALL THE ID NEEDED

When you pay for merchandise with a Visa card, MasterCard, or American Express any store that accepts these cards should accept yours too, no questions asked. It's part of the deal that merchants agree to when they become participating members.

They must check your signature and the card - electronically or by telephone - to be sure it's valid. Once the answer comes up yes, they can go ahead and charge. They can't ask you for any further identification - not a license plate number, Social Security number, proof of address, phone number or photo ID.

Your personal ID isn't needed because Visa, MasterCard, and American Express all guarantee payment on cards that have been properly checked. If the issuer mistakenly authorizes a sale on a bad card, it should make good. MasterCard says that merchants receive instant settlement. The contract MasterCard merchants sign specifically prevents them from asking for personal ID.

Unfortunately, not all merchants play by the rules. Some, apparently, haven't read them.

WHAT YOU CAN DO

MasterCard wants to hear about merchants who break their rules. Send the name and address and an account of what happened to MasterCard WorldWide 2000 Purchase St. Purchase, NY 10577 or call 1-800-300-3069. The merchant's bank will get a stiff letter, ordering it to investigate and bring the offending store into line - or pay a $2,000 fine. You may also report violations online:

http://www.mastercar...violations.html

Visa enforces the same rules as MasterCard. "When we hear about a violation, we ask the bank that signed the merchant to get together with the merchant and see that the practice is stopped," Visa representative states. Violations of Visa's Operating Regulations result in fines of no less than $5,000. To report a merchant, write to Visa Inc. P.O. Box 8999 San Francisco, CA 94128-8999 or call 1-800-VISA-911.

American Express also prohibits merchants from asking for IDs. "All a merchant is supposed to do is make sure the signature matches and swipe the card through the terminal, to get authorization." Report violations to: American Express P.O. Box 297812 Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33329-7812 or call 1-800-528-4800 or report online: http://americanexpress.com/yourchoice

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.