Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

New IRS Policy 04/02/2011

• Please log in to reply
409 replies to this topic

#201 SomeGuyInCA

SomeGuyInCA
  • Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:52 AM

I just talked to the advisor and he is going to consult with the officer I originally talked to and then the advisor will call me back (probably tomorrow). If my intepretation of the above memorandum is not accepted (and withdrawn), I will state just what you said above. I checked off it is in the best interest of the government to remove it, but didn't provide documentation to demonstrate that (per the letter). I'm hoping we don't have to get into that part, but maybe we will.

Got a message today that ours is being withdrawn. SO EXCITED!!!! :yahoo:Looks like my fax of the "Revision to Interim Guidance for Withdrawal of Notice of Federal Tax Lien" http://www.irs.gov/p...05-0112-008.pdf to the original officer & discussion with both the officer and his group advisor about this was enough to convince them to withdraw. They said it will take about 10 days.

That's fantastic news! I am so happy for you - congratulations. It took some courage to phone them back and talk; I congratulate you again - good job!

How did you find this memorandum, by the way?

#202 Mnemonic

Mnemonic
  • Members
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

I just talked to the advisor and he is going to consult with the officer I originally talked to and then the advisor will call me back (probably tomorrow). If my intepretation of the above memorandum is not accepted (and withdrawn), I will state just what you said above. I checked off it is in the best interest of the government to remove it, but didn't provide documentation to demonstrate that (per the letter). I'm hoping we don't have to get into that part, but maybe we will.

Got a message today that ours is being withdrawn. SO EXCITED!!!! :yahoo:Looks like my fax of the "Revision to Interim Guidance for Withdrawal of Notice of Federal Tax Lien" http://www.irs.gov/p...05-0112-008.pdf to the original officer & discussion with both the officer and his group advisor about this was enough to convince them to withdraw. They said it will take about 10 days.

Congrats!!

#203 helpmewithcredit

helpmewithcredit
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

That's fantastic news! I am so happy for you - congratulations. It took some courage to phone them back and talk; I congratulate you again - good job!

I just searched online for conditions of the withdrawal for released liens because I was bothered about the way my letter stated the denial - that I WAS (past tense) not in compliance. I wanted to read it for myself. It didn't make sense to me that people paying ON their liens currently could get them removed but I was not able to get my removed when it's paid and I have filed all my taxes & worked with the IRS for almost a year getting everything in order.

Yes, I was nervous about calling, but sometimes talking to people is better than communicating through written message. I was super nice and respectful while making my point. I think that helped as well.

The process when denied does require you call the supervisor FIRST before filing the appeal paperwork so there was no choice in that matter. But, I thought it would be more respectful to call the original officer first and I think that helped as well. I'm just so happy about it. :D

I do wonder how big of a bump it will give to our credit scores???? Has anyone seen a big bump??? I guess we shall see. My husband's defaulted loans are to be rehabilitated next month (9th payment) and mine will be the month after that (if DOE is finally processing the rehabilitations). Either way, those 2 things should give us a good bump. One step at a time!!!

#204 SomeGuyInCA

SomeGuyInCA
  • Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

I just searched online for conditions of the withdrawal for released liens because I was bothered about the way my letter stated the denial - that I WAS (past tense) not in compliance. I wanted to read it for myself. It didn't make sense to me that people paying ON their liens currently could get them removed but I was not able to get my removed when it's paid and I have filed all my taxes & worked with the IRS for almost a year getting everything in order.

Yes, I was nervous about calling, but sometimes talking to people is better than communicating through written message. I was super nice and respectful while making my point. I think that helped as well.

The process when denied does require you call the supervisor FIRST before filing the appeal paperwork so there was no choice in that matter. But, I thought it would be more respectful to call the original officer first and I think that helped as well. I'm just so happy about it. :D

I do wonder how big of a bump it will give to our credit scores???? Has anyone seen a big bump??? I guess we shall see. My husband's defaulted loans are to be rehabilitated next month (9th payment) and mine will be the month after that (if DOE is finally processing the rehabilitations). Either way, those 2 things should give us a good bump. One step at a time!!!

It's hard to predict what you will see in terms of changes to your scores, but I've seen people make comments in this thread indicating FICO jumps by as much as 70 points. I caution, however, that If there are other baddies on your reports (and it sounds like there are), then you might not see a change like that. That said, it's really important to get the lien off because with it present, even good scores won't do much for you. I have scores over 700 with perfect payment histories on all of my open accounts (and ONE late from 6.9 years ago), yet I can't get a prime card at all because I have a lien reporting. Liens have a smaller effect on your scores than they have on your actual ability to get credit.

FYI, I only saw an 8 point jump when my first lien came off, but I have another unreleased lien that has yet to be withdrawn, so realistically I didn't expect to see much.

Congratulations again on this - it is nice to see that this worked out so well for you. I'm glad for you! Be sure to let us know what score changes you see.

#205 helpmewithcredit

helpmewithcredit
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

It's hard to predict what you will see in terms of changes to your scores, but I've seen people make comments in this thread indicating FICO jumps by as much as 70 points. I caution, however, that If there are other baddies on your reports (and it sounds like there are), then you might not see a change like that. That said, it's really important to get the lien off because with it present, even good scores won't do much for you. I have scores over 700 with perfect payment histories on all of my open accounts (and ONE late from 6.9 years ago), yet I can't get a prime card at all because I have a lien reporting. Liens have a smaller effect on your scores than they have on your actual ability to get credit.

FYI, I only saw an 8 point jump when my first lien came off, but I have another unreleased lien that has yet to be withdrawn, so realistically I didn't expect to see much.

Congratulations again on this - it is nice to see that this worked out so well for you. I'm glad for you! Be sure to let us know what score changes you see.

We will definitely post the scores when it is updated!

#206 phyregold

phyregold
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

has anybody had success with this if they owed over 25k?

#207 helpmewithcredit

helpmewithcredit
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:10 AM

PAID? YES! Mine was over $30k and after it was released (as you see my posts above), I got it withdrawn. I was told it should be updated at the county level by this Friday. Just make sure you read this: http://www.irs.gov/p...05-0112-008.pdf and see if you meet the conditions. IF you meet the conditions, you can get it withdrawn.

Initially, I was denied, but after sending the above to the officer, they changed their mind. Even the county (when I called to check to see if it was updated yet) seemed unaware of this condition for withdrawal. I was told about 3 times only mistakes are withdrawn. I said "Not anymore", but I'm sure he thought he was more educated than me so I must not know what I was talking about. :rolleyes:

#208 Tryng to start over

Tryng to start over
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

PAID? YES! Mine was over $30k and after it was released (as you see my posts above), I got it withdrawn. I was told it should be updated at the county level by this Friday. Just make sure you read this: http://www.irs.gov/p...05-0112-008.pdf and see if you meet the conditions. IF you meet the conditions, you can get it withdrawn.

Initially, I was denied, but after sending the above to the officer, they changed their mind. Even the county (when I called to check to see if it was updated yet) seemed unaware of this condition for withdrawal. I was told about 3 times only mistakes are withdrawn. I said "Not anymore", but I'm sure he thought he was more educated than me so I must not know what I was talking about. :rolleyes:

Mine is not paid off yet but i've signed up for direct withdraw of funds and have paid 20k of the 62k off, i want to refinance my house but this is one of my greatest credit issues.

#209 helpmewithcredit

helpmewithcredit
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

Mine is not paid off yet but i've signed up for direct withdraw of funds and have paid 20k of the 62k off, i want to refinance my house but this is one of my greatest credit issues.

Hmmmm......that stinks, because if it's not paid, I do think it's one of the criteria to be under $25k. I know it's a double-edge sword because if you could get a loan to pay down the lien to under $25k, you could get it withdrawn, but you can't get a loan because you can't get it withdrawn.:swoon:

Direct Debit Installment Agreements and Liens

The IRS is making other fundamental changes to liens in cases where taxpayers enter into a Direct Debit Installment Agreement (DDIA). For taxpayers with unpaid assessments of $25,000 or less, the IRS will now allow lien withdrawals under several scenarios:

• Lien withdrawals for taxpayers entering into a Direct Debit Installment Agreement.
  • The IRS will withdraw a lien if a taxpayer on a regular Installment Agreement converts to a Direct Debit Installment Agreement.
  • The IRS will also withdraw liens on existing Direct Debit Installment agreements upon taxpayer request.
Liens will be withdrawn after a probationary period demonstrating that direct debit payments will be honored.

In addition, this lowers user fees and saves the government money from mailing monthly payment notices. Taxpayers can use the Online Payment Agreement application on IRS.gov to set-up with Direct Debit Installment Agreements.

“We are trying to minimize burden on taxpayers while collecting the proper amount of tax,” Shulman said. “We believe taking away taxpayer burden makes sense when a taxpayer has taken the proactive step of entering a direct debit agreement.”

#210 SomeGuyInCA

SomeGuyInCA
  • Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

Just an update to my saga...

The IRS withdrew my lien January 24. Experian and TransUnion both deleted it without any assistance from me. I disputed with Equifax online, and they verified in less than two days. That tells me that they didn't really verify. But either way, it remains on Equifax (which burns me pretty bad, I might add).

I called the county clerk and verified that form 10916 is recorded in their office, and I got the document number. I then disputed again with Equifax in writing, providing them with a copy of the lien withdrawal, with a copy of my driver's license, and with the document number of the lien withdrawal as recorded by the county clerk. I'm still waiting to find out what is going to go on there.

I'll keep everyone posted regarding how this plays out; I really do not want to have to sue them to stop reporting it. It should not be this difficult - they got the withdrawal from the IRS same as the other two, but they are being extra stupid about it.

#211 helpmewithcredit

helpmewithcredit
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

Just an update to my saga...

The IRS withdrew my lien January 24. Experian and TransUnion both deleted it without any assistance from me. I disputed with Equifax online, and they verified in less than two days. That tells me that they didn't really verify. But either way, it remains on Equifax (which burns me pretty bad, I might add).

I called the county clerk and verified that form 10916 is recorded in their office, and I got the document number. I then disputed again with Equifax in writing, providing them with a copy of the lien withdrawal, with a copy of my driver's license, and with the document number of the lien withdrawal as recorded by the county clerk. I'm still waiting to find out what is going to go on there.

I'll keep everyone posted regarding how this plays out; I really do not want to have to sue them to stop reporting it. It should not be this difficult - they got the withdrawal from the IRS same as the other two, but they are being extra stupid about it.

Well, if they do the same to me, we can sue together! :wacko: I sent my letter from the IRS which stated it was for CRA (and others) with my Lien Withdrawal (it was dated & sent Feb 10). I sent a copy of my husband's driver's license with his dispute letters but not with mine (since my old address still appears on my license). I'm hoping the IRS letter addressed to me at my current address was enough. We shall see. I just sent them yesterday so now I'll sit & wait 30 days in hopes it gets removed. And I'll update when I find out.

#212 SomeGuyInCA

SomeGuyInCA
  • Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

Well I have to say, I have a growing sense of irritation with Equifax. It has been over a week since they received my second dispute (remember they 'verified' the first time - in only three days), and they haven't even processed it such that it appears in their online status system yet.

You have to wonder what it is they really need, here. They've been provided a copy of the lien withdrawal by the IRS. They have been provided a copy of the lien withdrawal by me. They have been told the actual document number under which the document is filed with the county clerk, so they can have their goons agents go and check it out for themselves - I'm not sure what more could possibly be given to them to get this done other than a court order. At this point, it is starting to look more like negligent noncompliance than a more charitable allowance that they just need to be careful - they have proof from multiple sources, yet the item still appears on my report.

I called the county clerk multiple times as well, and they are likely contributing to the problem because they have the withdrawal categorized in their online system as a release. So, the lien has (from the perspective of their organizational system) two releases attached to it. You can't tell the difference unless you actually go in and look at the actual document. I've spoken to their people multiple times about this and their answer is "we don't distinguish between releases and withdrawals for purposes of classification." One guy told me "anybody can see looking at the document that it is a withdrawal." I've explained why this could be an issue for, say, a less than thorough CRA and / or their goons agents, and their answer is "we aren't changing our methods just for them." They then go on to argue with me about how it doesn't matter because CRA's never remove reported liens yada yada yada (blatantly wrong)... and you get the gist. So here we have a situation where, unless the CRA actually goes and looks at the document, they will only see the term "release" next to the document number in a web search. NICE! So should some CRA be sorta lazy and not really inclined to actually verify by looking at the filed document (as opposed to its search category name) in a search (what are the odds of that, do you think?)... and simultaneously be paranoid cautious enough to not trust the actual documentation provided by the consumer and the lien grantee... and you can see the problem here.

:sigh: This stuff is way too complicated and consumers should not have to go through this garbage.

My next step, should EQ not pony up a removal in the next few days (or at least get around to acknowledging that I've made a dispute), will be to BBB them, and also to complain about them with the CFPB and maybe the FTC.

Way back I railed about this process and how it victimizes consumers. Here we have a case where A ) information that is being reported is blatantly wrong (in violation of FCRA) and B ) The CRA has been provided with relevant dispute information and supporting documentation twice, yet they can't get their act together enough to remove the offending information. It is appalling, seriously. Most consumers give up, I suspect.

Edited by SomeGuyInCA, 01 March 2012 - 04:26 PM.

#213 cashnocredit

cashnocredit

cash AND credit

• Members
  • 5,567 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

Patience, grasshopper.

I went though that with EX. I re-disputed with a letter detailing the county recording doc numbers as well as copies of the associated PRs and withdrawal.

1 week later they sent a letter saying they couldn't use any of the copies I sent but were sending the specific doc ID info to their provider.

2 weeks after that they removed the PR and sent me a clean report.

Looks like you are going though the same thing I did but with EQ. EQ had me fax the withdrawal and they removed it within a few days.

Consistency is not one of the CRA's hopgoblins.

#214 SomeGuyInCA

SomeGuyInCA
  • Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

Patience, grasshopper.

I went though that with EX. I re-disputed with a letter detailing the county recording doc numbers as well as copies of the associated PRs and withdrawal.

1 week later they sent a letter saying they couldn't use any of the copies I sent but were sending the specific doc ID info to their provider.

2 weeks after that they removed the PR and sent me a clean report.

Looks like you are going though the same thing I did but with EQ. EQ had me fax the withdrawal and they removed it within a few days.

Consistency is not one of the CRA's hopgoblins.

Well you are correct - they did in fact remove it. They didn't notify me electronically either - it just showed up in their dispute system as completed (hadn't shown up at all, then just popped up in a completed state), and indicates they mailed me the result.

I pulled when I saw the entry in the dispute system and yep, the PR is gone. That was a 'hallelujah' moment for me - I have one tax lien remaining and that is the only derogatory item I have left to address - I'm working to get it off too.

The removal didn't change my EQ FAKO one single point (was 757, stayed the same)... but I didn't really expect it to. That's pretty much proof that EQ doesn't factor a released lien into their scoring model. I'm not sure what effect it will have on FICO yet - I'll know in a few weeks. When the PR came off TU it actually lowered my FICO by 15 points, so lets hope there isn't a repeat performance of that here. If so, however, I'll take it as a down payment for higher scores later.

Regardless, this is great news.

#215 helpmewithcredit

helpmewithcredit
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:29 AM

Okay, so it appears that the lien has been removed from both Experian and TransUnion. :yahoo: I'm sure Equifax hopefully will be removing it soon as well. As for credit scores, I haven't repurchased the scores from FICO which were 561 TU and 563 EQ while my Plus scores were 585 TU, 608 EX and 602 EQ before lien removal & rehabilitation of student loans. I've got student loans updating at the same time as this lien being removed, but what it does show currently for the Plus score is 588 TU (3 pts), 608 EX (same) and 628 EQ (26 pts). Of course, if that translates to the FICO score, there is still have a long way to go to get over the 600 mark in reality (I think the Plus score gives you false hope).

But, thankful to see some changes happening. I should note that in Dec when a realtor convinced me to have their mortgage company pull our credit because they would HELP US fix credit issues....blah, blah, blah (why oh why did I listen?), that combined score mortgage score was 519 - OUCH! So, even though we are not where we want to be, we are making progress and there may be some light in this tunnel.

#216 Bookersnook

Bookersnook
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

Does anyone know how this affects State Tax Liens?

#217 helpmewithcredit

helpmewithcredit
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

Does anyone know how this affects State Tax Liens?

I can't find anything in my state about getting to withdraw a state tax lien. So, I have no idea!

#218 breeze

breeze

Site Owners & FC XXXVIII <3

• Admin
  • 47,206 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

This is about federal tax liens only. Nothing about it relates to state taxes. If your state is like mine, they are oblivious to credit. They insist they don't report, and it won't affect your credit.

#219 Bookersnook

Bookersnook
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:27 PM

This is about federal tax liens only. Nothing about it relates to state taxes. If your state is like mine, they are oblivious to credit. They insist they don't report, and it won't affect your credit.

I am in NY, and I had a state tax lien for $2000. Its in a payment plan with the next month being the last the payment. I just wanted to see if I could get it removed completely.

#220 justabovewater

justabovewater
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:47 AM

I did try to get mine removed, It is well over 25K. I got a letter back stating that it would not be released because of the amount I owe. I have read further up the thread that there was one removed in the 30's. It might be worth a try depending on how much the lien is for.

#221 SomeGuyInCA

SomeGuyInCA
  • Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

I did try to get mine removed, It is well over 25K. I got a letter back stating that it would not be released because of the amount I owe. I have read further up the thread that there was one removed in the 30's. It might be worth a try depending on how much the lien is for.

You should be able to have success in these areas if you pay the federal lien off, and then request withdrawal, or if you pay it down to under 25K, get in an auto-debit agreement, and then request withdrawal.

Edited by SomeGuyInCA, 21 March 2012 - 12:29 PM.

#222 jaided

jaided
  • Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

Maybe this is a stupid question, and I must admit that I have not read the entire nine pages of this thread in its entirety!! My husband has a federal tax lien that was released. We filed a withdrawal (Form 668Y at the end of January), but nothing has happened and we haven't received anything back from the IRS to this date. However, I just checked the county records online and they state that his withdrawal was filed 2/14/12 (IRS showing us some love on Valentine's Day - awww, how cute). The thing is that I can't view the document online. I can only access a case number, file number, and this very basic info. Still to this date, we have received nothing back from the IRS and this record hasn't yet been deleted (I even sent them a fax a couple of weeks ago and still nothing). The only thing we haven't done is called because my husband works odd hours and can't call himself and I doubt I'm going to do a great impersonation of him.

So, here's my question... what do we do now? Dispute with the CRAs? If yes, are they going to ask for some paperwork that we haven't received yet? I don't want to dispute this thing and then have them come back with "needing additional information", but I also don't want to sit around and wait for something from the IRS that we haven't received yet DURING TAX SEASON.

Thank you! And once again, sorry if this was an obvious question.

#223 helpmewithcredit

helpmewithcredit
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

Maybe this is a stupid question, and I must admit that I have not read the entire nine pages of this thread in its entirety!! My husband has a federal tax lien that was released. We filed a withdrawal (Form 668Y at the end of January), but nothing has happened and we haven't received anything back from the IRS to this date. However, I just checked the county records online and they state that his withdrawal was filed 2/14/12 (IRS showing us some love on Valentine's Day - awww, how cute). The thing is that I can't view the document online. I can only access a case number, file number, and this very basic info. Still to this date, we have received nothing back from the IRS and this record hasn't yet been deleted (I even sent them a fax a couple of weeks ago and still nothing). The only thing we haven't done is called because my husband works odd hours and can't call himself and I doubt I'm going to do a great impersonation of him.

So, here's my question... what do we do now? Dispute with the CRAs? If yes, are they going to ask for some paperwork that we haven't received yet? I don't want to dispute this thing and then have them come back with "needing additional information", but I also don't want to sit around and wait for something from the IRS that we haven't received yet DURING TAX SEASON.

Call your county clerk or go down there and get a copy of the filed withdrawal. You should have gotten one by mail, but since you didn't, get a copy from the county. THEN, send a copy to each of the CRA with a request to remove it. That should be all you need to do. In my case EQ still has it on there. I'm still waiting on their response. If it is still on there, I'll look at what type of letter I need to write for them not following the law. But, that should get you what you need to dispute it without "needing additional information".

#224 jaided

jaided
  • Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

Call your county clerk or go down there and get a copy of the filed withdrawal. You should have gotten one by mail, but since you didn't, get a copy from the county. THEN, send a copy to each of the CRA with a request to remove it. That should be all you need to do. In my case EQ still has it on there. I'm still waiting on their response. If it is still on there, I'll look at what type of letter I need to write for them not following the law. But, that should get you what you need to dispute it without "needing additional information".

Okay, thank you a lot for your response. I was also thinking about just printing out the information I found online, but I don't know if the CRAs would consider that valid information. I also wonder if they will give me a copy of my husband's withdrawal - hope so! I would have thought that I would have received it by now, but I definitely did not as I have been checking my mail vigilantly ever since with 668Y was filed. Do you think it would be too risky to just do a dispute without any supporting paperwork? I know the CRAs are SUPPOSED to verify debts, but don't often do so. I guess I'm just hoping that a tax lien withdrawal would actually be investigated on their part. Wishful thinking?

#225 helpmewithcredit

helpmewithcredit
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

Okay, thank you a lot for your response. I was also thinking about just printing out the information I found online, but I don't know if the CRAs would consider that valid information. I also wonder if they will give me a copy of my husband's withdrawal - hope so! I would have thought that I would have received it by now, but I definitely did not as I have been checking my mail vigilantly ever since with 668Y was filed. Do you think it would be too risky to just do a dispute without any supporting paperwork? I know the CRAs are SUPPOSED to verify debts, but don't often do so. I guess I'm just hoping that a tax lien withdrawal would actually be investigated on their part. Wishful thinking?

If your husband can't get there to get it, I'd mail off for it then. I called my county clerk and they told me to send a self-addressed stamped envelope with $2/copy with my name & info and what I needed. So, if you call them, they'd probably tell you what you need to send and you could mail in for a copy. I'd wait for something official - make it as simple as possible for the CRA. Also, nice to have a copy anyway.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.