Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

New IRS Policy 04/02/2011

• Please log in to reply
404 replies to this topic

#51 TexasBubba50

TexasBubba50
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

First Post. Just thought I would post my results.

Had a IRS Lein since 2003. Released in 2008 but still on Equifax and Exp. Sent a letter the middle of May requesting a withdrawal. Sent to St. Louis as that is my area.

Got a call from Minnesota IRS office just to follow up. Was not sure how to do but understood what I was wanting. He sent me a copy of the withdrawal. I filed with the local courthouse.

I disputed with Equifax and Exp. So far, Experian has deleted. Waiting on Equifax.

Congrats! Is that timeline about normal (2 months?) -- just wondering as I am reaching the one month timeline and was wondering if I should send a followup letter???

Thanks!

#52 winstars

winstars
  • Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:28 PM

Had a IRS Lein since 2003. Released in 2008 but still on Equifax and Exp. Sent a letter the middle of May requesting a withdrawal. Sent to St. Louis as that is my area.

Got a call from Minnesota IRS office just to follow up. Was not sure how to do but understood what I was wanting. He sent me a copy of the withdrawal. I filed with the local courthouse.

I disputed with Equifax and Exp. So far, Experian has deleted. Waiting on Equifax.

Congrats! Is that timeline about normal (2 months?) -- just wondering as I am reaching the one month timeline and was wondering if I should send a followup letter???

Thanks!

That's my question also... You sent your letter in the middle of May, how long did it take the MN IRS office to call you??? How long was it between that phone call from the MN IRS office and when you received the copy of the withdrawal in the mail??? When did you start the dispute with Equifax and Experian? How long did Experian take to delete it??? Did you send them a copy of the IRS withdrawal??? Did you actually ask them (the IRS) to notify the CRA's about the withdrawal??? Thanks for the help!!!

And congrats on getting the job done!!!!

Edited by winstars, 12 July 2011 - 09:29 PM.

#53 starbuc59

starbuc59
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:19 AM

Thanks!

That's my question also... You sent your letter in the middle of May, how long did it take the MN IRS office to call you??? How long was it between that phone call from the MN IRS office and when you received the copy of the withdrawal in the mail??? When did you start the dispute with Equifax and Experian? How long did Experian take to delete it??? Did you send them a copy of the IRS withdrawal??? Did you actually ask them (the IRS) to notify the CRA's about the withdrawal??? Thanks for the help!!!

They called me about 3 weeks after I mailed it out.. From that he needed to check on some things. 2 weeks after that, called and let me know that it would be another week but couldn't figure out how to get the paperwork through the automated system. However he could send me the withdrawal in the mail if I wanted to file myself. My thinking was get the paperwork in my hands so I could file and have a copy in my hands. I agreed and I had in my hands in a week.

I filed it with the register of the county 2 days after I received. After that, I did a dispute with Experian saying it was withdrawn, with the date and filing number. Took a month but they deleted.

Now waiting on Equifax. Not showing on TransUnion.

I should say that he said he would file the letters with the credit bureaus but I don't have a paper trail on that. Figured I would do myself. Took some time but I now have the actual withdrawl in my hand and can just dispute from there.

BTW, Experian scores, at least FAKO went up 70 points. In the 700's now.

#54 starbuc59

starbuc59
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:27 AM

Just thought I would add one more thing. It is gonna take a little time. Be patient. But it does work. The gentleman I talked to left name and numbers to call. I didn't bug him. He said call if I didn't hear from him in a week.

Two other things. The IRS did request a copy of the filing with the court stamps. I sent it back like they requested. Also a little thank you in the letter for the great follow-up I received. It was my fault, not theirs that the lein was filed. But they did like they said and withdrew the lein. I can't ask for more.

Also, the county said it technically didn't remove it from filings. But with the withdrawl, it would be the last thing on record and the credit bureaus would remove. That's what I wanted.

#55 winstars

winstars
  • Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:36 PM

Thanks!

They called me about 3 weeks after I mailed it out.. From that he needed to check on some things. 2 weeks after that, called and let me know that it would be another week but couldn't figure out how to get the paperwork through the automated system. However he could send me the withdrawal in the mail if I wanted to file myself. My thinking was get the paperwork in my hands so I could file and have a copy in my hands. I agreed and I had in my hands in a week.

I filed it with the register of the county 2 days after I received. After that, I did a dispute with Experian saying it was withdrawn, with the date and filing number. Took a month but they deleted.

Now waiting on Equifax. Not showing on TransUnion.

I should say that he said he would file the letters with the credit bureaus but I don't have a paper trail on that. Figured I would do myself. Took some time but I now have the actual withdrawl in my hand and can just dispute from there.

BTW, Experian scores, at least FAKO went up 70 points. In the 700's now.

Roger that!!! 70 points even though its a FAKO very cool!!! I will sit tight and report back. Thanks for the info!!!

#56 willjeffers

willjeffers
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

Interstingly, I happen to get my paperwork in the mail from the IRS the day after I posted this. On 7/9.

It said they mailed the 10916 to my local recording office. My FACO score has not improved yet. Was wondering if I should just wait or go ahead and contact the bureaus & dispute it ?

Would like my score to impove ASAP.

I am new here...my first post....

But I have had direct experience with a tax lien. In Nov, the IRS, without notification, hit me with a very large tax lien and wiped out 2 bank accounts.

That was JUST what I needed to get my butt in gear and file my back taxes. I got with a CPA and we did that...it took a few months and we filed some kind of appeal in the meantime to keep them from coming after other assets.

Now, Im all caught up and the tax lien has been released. About a month ago, I sent a request form to the IRS asking that they WITHDRAW it per the new regulation.

So far, I dont think they have and I have not heard back from them on it.

Note, I did not send a letter, just the form and I couldnt find a copy of the lien so I did not include it.

I have been keeping up with my fake credit score via Credit Karma.since May 2008.

My score before the tax lien was 769. It dropped all the way to 681 after the tax lien.And about a month ago, I presume when the release hit my report, it rebounded 11 points to 692. That was a disappointment as I was hoping it would rebound at least half.

Anyway, Im hoping that in the next few months it all gets taken care of any my report gets clean of this mess.

I am in good shape financially so I really have no need for great credit but I like keeping up with it nonetheless.

My house is paid for and I have no need for credit. Already have several rewards cards.

Im WAY too tight to ever pay for a real fico score. I get my fake ones from CK, Quizzle & now Credit Sesame.

I did not ask the IRS to contact the credit reporting agencies. I guess I should send a new letter in over that.

My plan was to give them another month or so and then if its not removed, despite it.

#57 TexasBubba50

TexasBubba50
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:25 PM

Thanks to everyone for posting this information. Sent my letter to the IRS here in Dallas on Monday - will update if anything changes. :wave:

Thanks!
Steve

Update

Letter sent 6/20 - reply received today from IRS

Mailed form 10916© to local recording office and to all three CRA's in my original letter. :yahoo:

Question - shoulkd I take my copy to local office to get release and then send to all CRA's or wait (which I am not really good at ^_^ )

Thanks to CB and everyone who commented on my posts - you guys ROCK :D

Steve

#58 cjsmilez1

cjsmilez1
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:04 PM

I did some research and found info on the web regarding the withdrawal. I honestly thought it was a hoax. I came on CB to check credit card forums and ran it to this! I sent my information off on 7/15. I hope I don't have a long delay but I know I must be patient. The liens are killing my credit, although showing for a while. Everything else is good but the liens. I am so happy about this! It would be nice if the states did this. I will follow up when I hear something back. Good luck to everyone working to have theirs withdrawn!

Edited by cjsmilez1, 18 July 2011 - 10:09 PM.

#59 winstars

winstars
  • Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:47 AM

I did some research and found info on the web regarding the withdrawal. I honestly thought it was a hoax. I came on CB to check credit card forums and ran it to this! I sent my information off on 7/15. I hope I don't have a long delay but I know I must be patient. The liens are killing my credit, although showing for a while. Everything else is good but the liens. I am so happy about this! It would be nice if the states did this. I will follow up when I hear something back. Good luck to everyone working to have theirs withdrawn!

It is pretty amazing: the IRS being cool!!! What is interesting like you, I have read all I could on tax liens on this great forum and several others with great interest as I have one from CA, one from NY and one from the IRS all PIF from around 2007. (don't ask) Anyway, what I see are many people have these now PAID liens very negatively impacting their lives. The new policy by the IRS will hopefully last since it will help many, many people who have "paid their debt to society" and can now rebuild their credit faster without these millstones around their necks. Now if some of our fair states can start to emulate the new IRS policy, maybe more of us can begin or continue or sort of finish up on the rebuilding and keeping it there process we frequent this place for...

I sent mine in on the 30th of June, it seems by reading this thread its like 3 to 4 weeks roughly till they contact you. Some taxpayers were actually called and most get letters. From what I have read/understand, some taxpayers have the CRA's informed by the IRS, some need to notify all three CRA's themselves, Some taxpayers had just one CRA holdout, Some got them all removed easily. ALL Taxpayers seemed to have a generally positive experience with the IRS, weather it be the IRS offering to send a copy of the withdrawal to the taxpayer to them (the IRS) promising (supposedly) to contact the CRA's for you. This is why I say I hope it lasts because they sound real reasonable here!!!

Edited by winstars, 19 July 2011 - 12:51 AM.

#60 TexasBubba50

TexasBubba50
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:31 AM

Thanks to everyone for posting this information. Sent my letter to the IRS here in Dallas on Monday - will update if anything changes. :wave:

Thanks!
Steve

Update

Mailed form 10916© to local recording office and to all three CRA's in my original letter. :yahoo:

Question - shoulkd I take my copy to local office to get release and then send to all CRA's or wait (which I am not really good at ^_^ )

Steve

Talked with 2 CRA's and they stated I could just mail a copy of the IRS withdrawal form to them and they would delete the lien from my file - sending today RRR with cover letter and copies of the IRS letter and withdrawal form. Will update as status changs...

#61 BubbaJoeBob

BubbaJoeBob
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:44 AM

My request denied for a self released 10 yr old lien.

#62 winstars

winstars
  • Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:35 AM

Got my withdrawal letter from the IRS today,it say they will notify the 3 CRA's and the county clerk where it was filed. (NY County) I already have 4 letters written, 3 to the CRA's and one to the county clerk asking (demanding) withdrawal of the lien from the reports/public records. Lets see how this goes, based on the previous posters on this thread there might/should probably be one laggard among the above. Will report progress!!!

BTW, 22 days from sending letter and form to IRS to receiving my withdrawal letter from them... not bad.........

#63 TexasBubba50

TexasBubba50
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:37 AM

Update - Called County Clerk office today to verify they had received the Notice from the IRS. The lien was recorded as withdrawn on July 8th (even before I got my letter) :yahoo:

Now just waiting for CRA's to update. I sent letters to all 4 on Tuesday to dispute and have TL removed! Will post final update to FAKO score changes when it happens.

Thanks to All - Have a great weekend!

Steve

Thanks!
Steve

Update

Steve

#64 winstars

winstars
  • Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:10 PM

Update - Called County Clerk office today to verify they had received the Notice from the IRS. The lien was recorded as withdrawn on July 8th (even before I got my letter) :yahoo:

Now just waiting for CRA's to update. I sent letters to all 4 on Tuesday to dispute and have TL removed! Will post final update to FAKO score changes when it happens.

Steve

Sounds great my friend, I am basically in the same time frame as you are with the IRS and now the task of making the CRA's remove and delete them from our CR's. One question though, You said you "sent letters to all 4 on Tuesday to dispute and have the TL removed". I am new here and I thought there was only three CRA's to send this request/demand to?

Besides that, I think the race is one to see whose comes off where first among us!!! And which CRA will be the jerk about removing these from our CR's.

BTW, I wrote the sweetest GW to withdraw letters to send out to NY and CA for similar paid and satisfied tax liens from the same period. (about 6 years ago. State tax liens are much much tougher to remove but I swear I had a tear in MY eyes when I reread the GW to withdraw I wrote to the states mentioned. So wish me luck!!!!

Thanks!
Steve

Update

Steve

#65 TexasBubba50

TexasBubba50
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:48 PM

Got my fingers crossed ---

As for the 4 CRA's - I am one of the lucky ones :swoon: that Equifax punts everything to CSC so I just close the middle man and send my letters to both. Cost alittle more but CSC seems to be alittle more receptive than the others.

Have a great weekend - Just received confirmation that my letters have all been received so tick-tock!!!!

Steve

Sounds great my friend, I am basically in the same time frame as you are with the IRS and now the task of making the CRA's remove and delete them from our CR's. One question though, You said you "sent letters to all 4 on Tuesday to dispute and have the TL removed". I am new here and I thought there was only three CRA's to send this request/demand to?

Besides that, I think the race is one to see whose comes off where first among us!!! And which CRA will be the jerk about removing these from our CR's.

BTW, I wrote the sweetest GW to withdraw letters to send out to NY and CA for similar paid and satisfied tax liens from the same period. (about 6 years ago. State tax liens are much much tougher to remove but I swear I had a tear in MY eyes when I reread the GW to withdraw I wrote to the states mentioned. So wish me luck!!!!

#66 cashnocredit

cashnocredit

cash AND credit

• Members
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:53 PM

My request denied for a self released 10 yr old lien.

A 10 y/o self released loan should have fallen off your reports 3 years ago unless somehow the release wasn't "automatically" filed.

#67 cjsmilez1

cjsmilez1
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:39 PM

Steve

Thanks!
Steve

Update

Steve

Awesome news!! Congrats. Let us know how your score jumps!

#68 Witz

Witz

Bump Influence XVIII

• Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:18 PM

I got my request sent in today for my IRS lien. I will let you know how it goes sending it to the IRS office here in Oakland. Crossing my fingers.

My notice back from the IRS stating that lien was being removed was dated July 9th, so it took less than 3 weeks. I was out of town, so I just picked up the mail. Now I need to get this removed from the CRAs. I wonder if it is best to dispute by sending the IRS letter or just say that I dont have a lien and let the CRA wrack up violations for a future use.

#69 TexasBubba50

TexasBubba50
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:00 PM

I got my request sent in today for my IRS lien. I will let you know how it goes sending it to the IRS office here in Oakland. Crossing my fingers.

My notice back from the IRS stating that lien was being removed was dated July 9th, so it took less than 3 weeks. I was out of town, so I just picked up the mail. Now I need to get this removed from the CRAs. I wonder if it is best to dispute by sending the IRS letter or just say that I dont have a lien and let the CRA wrack up violations for a future use.

Hi,
I sent all my CRA's copies of the IRS letter (CMRRR) after verifying with courthouse that the lien has been withdrawn. All three CRA's have received the letter since 7/25 and now we wait.... Will update soon (i hope)

#70 Witz

Witz

Bump Influence XVIII

• Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:16 PM

Hi,
I sent all my CRA's copies of the IRS letter (CMRRR) after verifying with courthouse that the lien has been withdrawn. All three CRA's have received the letter since 7/25 and now we wait.... Will update soon (i hope)

I haven't checked with my courthouse yet, but presume it has been removed. The only thing I worry about when sending the IRS letter to the CRA is them doing something like: "well you did have one, so it will remain". Let the violations begin!

#71 pnd

pnd
  • Newbies
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:41 PM

There's such good news here. And congrats to everyone who has achieved this!

Can anyone confirm either of the following:

1) Have you had a lien withdrawn that was originally over $25k?, and

2) have you had a lien withdrawn which was satisfied through an Offer in Compromise with the IRS? That is, did you pay less than the original lien amount, but have the IRS accept your payments, and then - now - had that lien withdrawn?

I ask because that's my situation, and I don't know if this is going to work for me. It would be great to know that this policy applies to large liens and to liens settled through an OIC.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer relevant knowledge.

#72 ArtVandelay421

ArtVandelay421
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:44 PM

Hi everyone and I am soooo glad I found Montanrice and Mervynsb's IRS news on the paid tax lien withdrawel. We just refinanced our home (living in the Boston area, owning a home the last 20 years had it's perks). Anyway, we paid off two federal tax liens. They filed them even when we had a payment plan in place :( So, we were in credit hell with those showing. We got them paid and released but that nasty paid lien still shows and we were still finding it difficult to even get a Pottery Barn card??? I was told to kept disputing with the CRAs and made some headway. But, this news is great! My only question is this - We file jointly (husband and wife) under my tax id. I am ready to file my Form 12277, copy of paid release, etc. I am asking them to withdraw the paid lien tradeline from the three CRAs under my SS number. How do I get the same benefit for my wife as these paid liens show up on her credit reports as well? If I file jointly with my SS # does it obligate the IRS to also withdraw the paid tax lien tradelines from your spouse's reports?? Thanks for any advice on this.

#73 winstars

winstars
  • Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:02 AM

I think I have Googled this subject for literally days all over the net. I have not read about either of your questions anywhere. I do think that from everything I have read that you have a good shot like the rest of us. It does not mention any limit in any of the IRS stuff I have read. The Offer of Compromise was accepted and the lien satisfied so... I haven't seen any reason why your application should be any different. Go to IRS Form 12277, it says go to Publication 4235 to find where in your area to send your Form 12277 to. Publication 4235 has the address's and PHONE NUMBER'S of the"Technical Services Advisory Group" for your area. ( The links are on the first page of this thread) I would give them a call and ask..It seems that most everyone on this thread has had good luck with this Technical Services Advisory Group that seems to handle these matters...

Edited by winstars, 27 July 2011 - 01:28 AM.

#74 montanarice

montanarice
  • Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:41 AM

ArtVandelay421

I live in MA too at the other end (Western MA). The IRS just released another press release Monday in relation to loosening up their restrictions on spousal innocence regulations. I think in general they are starting to come around to what everyone else sees as common sense: take care of your obligations and be given the opportunity for a fresh start. If the liens wer ejust in your name they shouldn't be appearing on her public info section of her credit report: if they were in her name as well then the IRS withdrawl should have her name as well which should help clear things up.

If all else fails, I had 2 friends I was helping to clear up their liens too in MA and they ran into some trouble with Equifax. All EQ was doing was confirming that there was a lien and they did see it was paid off, but they didn't research enough to see the withdrawl too and read it. Even though it goes against the credo to never talk on the phone to CRA's, each called and eventually got to a manager and sat on the phone while they had the manager go on the internet to the MA Registry of Deeds website where all these documents are public information free to the public. Once the manager saw the withdrawls they authorized the releases right there and corrective letters went out the same week. If it comes to that just be sure to verse yourself on the Registry website for your county, as these managers won't have the time or patientce to try to navigate through the sites themselves.

Good luck!

PS by the way here's the latest IRS press release on spousal innocence: http://www.irs.gov/n...=242867,00.html

Edited by montanarice, 27 July 2011 - 01:43 AM.

#75 montanarice

montanarice
  • Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:47 AM

Also, it seems states may not be too far behind in allowing the withdrawl of paid liens, just found this article from May for California:

Wyland Legislation to Help Taxpayers and Small Businesses Advances
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 11, 2011

SACRAMENTO, CA— Today, legislation authored by State Senator Mark Wyland (R-Carlsbad) and sponsored by Board of Equalization Member George Runner unanimously passed the Senate Governance and Finance Committee with bipartisan support.

Senate Bill 228 would allow the State Board of Equalization, the Franchise Tax Board or the State Controller to withdraw paid tax liens.

Under current law, California’s tax agencies can place a lien on a taxpayer’s property when the taxpayer is unable to fulfill their tax liability. The same taxing authorities can release a lien when a taxpayer pays off their outstanding obligation along with any additional interest and assessed late fees. However, a withdrawal is needed to remove the lien. Tax agencies do not have the statutory authority necessary to withdraw a tax lien, even if it was filed in error. Without a withdrawal, the lien affect a taxpayer’s credit score for up to ten years.

“It is difficult for an individual or business to get a loan if their credit report shows a tax lien. As a former small business owner, I know how important it is to be able to secure a line of credit.” said Wyland.

SB 228 would conform California’s tax lien withdrawal procedures to the federal procedures implemented by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) 10 years ago.

“During this difficult economic time, we need to do everything we can to help businesses get a fresh start. This is a pro-consumer, pro- small business bill that will help thousands of Californians,” Wyland said.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.