Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Just financed a new vehicle thru Ally.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stu.Padaso

Stu.Padaso
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:02 PM

I just bought a new SUV because my old one is falling apart. I've put about $1k into it this year alone and just found out it needed another $1300 in repairs. Welp, enough is enough. The old girl doesn't owe me a dime and it's time to put her out to pasture.

So I walked into the showroom, got myself a salesmen, and took about 8 different vehicles on test drives. And I needed financing. Oh God. The face-to-face application. I started sweating.

As is usual of me, I got all worked up for nothing. It was stupidly easy. I got the cheap money from GM (I'm a GM man...it runs in the family). It's thru Ally Credit Canada, which is what GMAC is now called. I was nervous as hell talking to the F&I lady, but she was good at putting me at ease. I actually worked with her years ago when I worked in the auto industry. We're not friends, just acquaintances. (To be honest: I barely remember her working in the same dealership I did, but she definitely remembers me.) She laughed when she asked me to rhyme off my credit cards for the financing application. I just kept going...and going...and going...and going.

I didn't get instant approval because it's difficult for me to prove income. They needed to verify. Less than an hour later I get a message on my cell phone that I was approved. Longest hour of my life! Now I wish I would have bought the better model! ahahahahaha.

I did have a good chat with her about Ally and what they expect. She seemed on the level and I have no reason to think she was bullshitting me. I'm just passing along what she told me, so take it with a grain of salt.

First of all: Ally pulls Transunion.

She said if Ally sees anything less than a 620 credit score it means you won't qualify for any cheap money deals they have going. They will send your file over to some other 'deadbeat' department where the rates can fall anywhere between 5% and 25% depending on how much of a deadbeat you really are. Not very many people are flat out denied credit. It's just a matter of what kind of interest rate you're prepared to pay.

Other than the 620 cut-off, Ally isn't very concerned about your actual score. Having recent late payments isn't necessarily a deal killer, but if you have more than a couple then they'll take a long second look at your application. Your chances of approval dropped a bit if that is the case. Any lates over a couple years old are glossed over (i.e. ignored), as long as it wasn't a constant stream of late payments that stretched for months and years at a time.

The same goes for charge-offs and/or collections. If they're small amounts and over a couple years old then Ally is fairly forgiving. As long as there isn't a ton of them and you're not talking BIG BIG dollars then you should be fine.

She said they just want to know whether you can pay them back. If you have a steady job and don't live beyond your means then you should be all right. They don't like to see a DTI ratio more than 32%, and they don't consider your mortgage/rent payment when they calculate it. They will accept a DTI up to the high 40's but it takes a very clean report and a decent income to do that.

Anyways, it was a fun experience (in hindsight). This is the first time I've ever bought a new vehicle. And the first time I've ever financed a vehicle too.

edit. I pick it up next week.

Edited by Stu.Padaso, 31 March 2011 - 06:08 PM.

#2 diatribe

diatribe
  • Members
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

If you don't mind me asking, what was your score and your final rate?

#3 Stu.Padaso

Stu.Padaso
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

If you don't mind me asking, what was your score and your final rate?

Heh. That was a year and I have no idea. I'll guess and say it was mid-to-high 600's on Transunion. Somewhere in that range. I had quite a few inquiries at the time.

The rate I got 1.9%.

Edited by Stu.Padaso, 01 May 2012 - 12:55 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.