Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

The Master American Express AmEx BackDating Back Dating Thread

• Please log in to reply
1743 replies to this topic

#51 César

César
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:42 PM

How about this?

My mom has a Amex Plat for her small business (she is the owner and personally guarantees it). I'm already an AU on that card, but it doesn't report.

I talked to her earlier this week and she's willing to (if it helps me) get a personal card.

If she gets a personal card will they back date it? Then, I could be added as an AU on that one? It goes back about 10 years.

Does her Business Platinum have a Member Since 2001?
If so, any personal card should also carry that year.

Yes it does. I talked to her today and this week we're going to app for a personal card. If anyone has an opinion on the best Amex card to go with, I'd appreciate the advice. Her scores are in the low 800's. I'll give it a bit and then we'll add me as an AU.

Please keep us updated on the outcome, I'm also interested.

CÚsar :)

#52 xelda

xelda
  • Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:48 PM

I think I should get a part time job at a high end restaurant and beg every customer with a good member since date, I would probably get fired quickly, where do the rest of the AMEX people hang out?

I work part-time at a restaurant and I was VERY tempted to try this today. >.< It was fun entertaining the idea, if not just to imagine what her reaction would have been. lol She was a member since 1983.

#53 romecoo

romecoo
  • Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:57 AM

That's strange,

I use my card at least once a week at Walmart, and shop online with ebay and thru Paypal all the time and have not triggered any F/R YET!!! so who knows...

Really? Wow! How seasoned is your card? Mine is a charge card that is "technically" (technically is defined as when they originally issued it to me) less than 1 year old with 3 AUs so far. Maybe that had something to do with my 2nd F/R and their concern also. The PayPal payment was the only charge on it at the time, so there must have been something they did not like about it. But you are right, who really knows.

my AMEX's are my oldest cards, one being 16.5 years old and the other being 17.1 years old (Due to backdating of course) and Im also AU on 2 other AMEX cards with my SO, so in total I have 4 AMEX cards reporting ranging from Zync to gold!

And truly me and my SO usually only shop at Walmart and use the card their atleast once a week minimum! and PAYPAL/eBay atleast once a month or every other month but sometimes several purchases in a month. So who knows!

#54 romecoo

romecoo
  • Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:59 AM

I think I should get a part time job at a high end restaurant and beg every customer with a good member since date, I would probably get fired quickly, where do the rest of the AMEX people hang out?

I work part-time at a restaurant and I was VERY tempted to try this today. >.< It was fun entertaining the idea, if not just to imagine what her reaction would have been. lol She was a member since 1983.

WALMART, lol... my Member Since date is 1994! and I shop at Walmart weekly! lmao

#55 romecoo

romecoo
  • Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:13 AM

So one question I do have is, hypothetically speaking if someone were added as an AU, then applied for a gold, green, or similar card, then got it back dated to the AU date, and then terminated the AU, could you later on apply for another card and have that one back dated as well even though the AU is gone?

In 1994 I was an AU on an AMEX card that was actually settled for a fraction of what was owed. this card hasn't appeared on my reports for over a decade. Then in 2007 i became another AU on 2 new AMEX cards, and my member since c=date was 2007, but HERE IS THE CATCH!!! when my AU card was expiring they sent me out a new card and the member since date changed to 1994 when I was an AU on a different AMEX card. The reporting didn't change to 1994 only the member since date changed. so I called to try and have the reporting date and the mean lady said she couldn't do it, because I'm an AU and it will only reflect the date of the current card I'm an AU on.

But when I got my on AMEX in 2010 my member since date said 2010 and I promptly called AMEX and told them i was a member since 1994 and gave her the card number of the current AU card that reflected 1994 date and she said no problem I'll send you out a new card and my member since date online changed before I hung up the phone. In Jan I decided to add another AMEX card to offset all my new credit and when that card came it had the member since date and reported as 1994, so now im thinking of adding one more AMEX card to get maximum AAoA...

#56 romecoo

romecoo
  • Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:21 AM

Good idea Bob! I will be added as an AU soon and I'll be attempting to have my two recent AMEX accounts backdated. It will be interesting to see how AMEX handles it, especially since one of the cards is a Zync and they seem to be a bit reluctant to backdate that product.

Time will tell! :grin:

Yup, Zync seems to be the Kryptonite for BackDating. :P

Can this be elaborated on? Because this is the exact situation I am in. Mom has a Blue from 2000, I am AU for approximately a year now, and when I got my Zync in September 2010, all my backdating attempts were pretty much stonewalled.

I had no problem at all backdating my Zync card

#57 JaseT

JaseT

NO INFLUENCE

• Members
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:01 AM

Good idea Bob! I will be added as an AU soon and I'll be attempting to have my two recent AMEX accounts backdated. It will be interesting to see how AMEX handles it, especially since one of the cards is a Zync and they seem to be a bit reluctant to backdate that product.

Can this be elaborated on? Because this is the exact situation I am in. Mom has a Blue from 2000, I am AU for approximately a year now, and when I got my Zync in September 2010, all my backdating attempts were pretty much stonewalled.

Clearly you're the exception to ALL of the AMEX rules! :P

#58 johnnylong

johnnylong
  • Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:02 AM

Here is a question....

Lets say that I am an AU on a card with some good age and get my own...I then hit "apply" the same day for a business card...will they also backdate a business card to the original member since date? I would hate to have a business card report as member since 2011 and kill my avg age. I am guessing of course that Amex requires a PG on the business card and it will report to personal credit. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

#59 romecoo

romecoo
  • Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:23 PM

Clearly you're the exception to ALL of the AMEX rules! :P

That's just it, there not rules! and everyone should know that, I'm not the only one in America that has had their Zync card backdated and I wont be the last!

Edited by romecoo, 20 February 2011 - 11:24 PM.

#60 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence

• Members
  • 31,740 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:33 PM

Just be forewarned that if Zync is your only AmEx, expect AU backdating to be hard.
But what do I know? :P

#61 hbomb174

hbomb174
  • Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:02 AM

My dad's amex was from 2007. I became an AU then got my own two cards...
Biz gold
Jet Blue
Is there any way to become an AU on say my grandpa's amex with a member since date much older and then backdate my existing cards (mine not cards that i'm an AU on) to that date?

#62 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence

• Members
  • 31,740 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:10 AM

My dad's amex was from 2007. I became an AU then got my own two cards...
Biz gold
Jet Blue
Is there any way to become an AU on say my grandpa's amex with a member since date much older and then backdate my existing cards (mine not cards that i'm an AU on) to that date?

Sure, and being related makes it all the easier. :)

#63 wajj

wajj
  • Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:03 AM

Had an Amex green in college (opened 1990, don't know exactly when it was closed.) It still reports on my Experian as paid/closed, never late. It last reported 10/01.

I recently apped for and received a new Amex green with a member date of 2011. I called the main CSR number and asked for some backdating - she put me on hold while she searched, but came up empty. I later called direct to card replacement, and the CSR there told me that what I was requesting was completely impossible.

I am not quite ready to give up...any thoughts on my next step? I don't have the old card number. All I have is the account reference number on my Experian report and the original billing address.

This was my situation as well.

I had an AMEX Green back in 1985 that I had forgotten about. Surrendered it in grad school rather than pay the annual fee.

After my numerous credit trials and tribulations, was approved for a Blue Cash in 2009 (and a Premier Gold and Starwood in 2010). After reading about backdating of AMEX cards here for about a year (and with AAoA that was a joke due to all the new cards I received) decided I would try it. The first three or four times regular CS told me it wasn't possible to change the member since date.

Eventually I decided to use my credit report information (the 1985 card was still showing on my Experian report) to at least track down the account number and try from there. I called the number listed on the Experian report which took me to the credit reporting department, not regular CS. Turns out the card was so old they couldn't locate any information on it. But I was transferred to card replacement with the credit reporting rep on the phone verifying that I at least had a valid identifying number on a report. After a few minutes of trying to figure out what to do, I was told if I faxed in a copy of my credit report showing that the date opened on the card was 1985, they would backdate. Using a USAA credit report (not even an offical Experian one :) ) I faxed in the identifying cover page and the page with the AMEX only. All three cards were backdated to 1985 the next day.

Might be an approach to try next time.

#64 stefclay

stefclay
  • Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:36 AM

Here is a question....

Lets say that I am an AU on a card with some good age and get my own...I then hit "apply" the same day for a business card...will they also backdate a business card to the original member since date? I would hate to have a business card report as member since 2011 and kill my avg age. I am guessing of course that Amex requires a PG on the business card and it will report to personal credit. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

My recent Amex biz card came with a 2011 date on the card. I called and they had no issue changing it to my personal member since date and sent me out a new card. Amex biz cards do not report to personal as long as you don't default.

#65 Roland99

Roland99
  • Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:42 PM

Here's a question:

How soon after having, say, a family member add one as an AU does the new AMEX TL show up on one's credit report?

And, as far AAoA, would this only affect TU and EX since doesn't EQ ignore AU TLs now? (at least for the time one remains only an AU, not having their own AMEX card, that is)

Edited by Roland99, 21 February 2011 - 12:43 PM.

#66 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence

• Members
  • 31,740 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:55 PM

Depending on where you are in the reporting cycle, it could be only a matter of days before an AU account starts reporting on Experian.
As far as Equifax goes, the AU account may never report.

#67 Roland99

Roland99
  • Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:19 PM

Depending on where you are in the reporting cycle, it could be only a matter of days before an AU account starts reporting on Experian.

Ah, so they're not like a 1st of the month or end of the month reporter like some? Think I'm going to bug my Dad tonight about it. I'd never use the card...just want to be an AU for a while before I'll be able to get my own (probably another 2-3 years...stupid EX)

#68 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence

• Members
  • 31,740 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:27 PM

Ah, so they're not like a 1st of the month or end of the month reporter like some? Think I'm going to bug my Dad tonight about it. I'd never use the card...just want to be an AU for a while before I'll be able to get my own (probably another 2-3 years...stupid EX)

I believe being an AU for a while, and demonstrating responsible usage, factors heavily into AmEx's internal scoring model.

#69 v8envy

v8envy
  • Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:25 PM

I can almost make my AAoA 15 years with 2 AMEX accounts from the early 80's and one AU account...hmmmm from 1.2 years to 15 years thats got to be good for the FICO!

#70 Warren The Ape

Warren The Ape
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:27 PM

To add to the info on the Walmart discussion: In December of 2008, Amex offered cardmembers $20 off $80 worth of purchases at Walmart, with the express intent of getting members to use the card there more often:

http://dealnews.com/...ses/265290.html

So while I can't speak to what Amex thinks of Paypal, I think it's safe to say they have no issue whatsoever with people using the card at Walmart. Besides, given the percentage of the US economy that comes from Walmart alone, plus the number of very well-off people that shop there religiously because of the prices, they'd really be asking for blowback from their customers if they started causing trouble for Walmart shoppers.

#71 emtpdeej

emtpdeej
  • Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:50 PM

Had an Amex green in college (opened 1990, don't know exactly when it was closed.) It still reports on my Experian as paid/closed, never late. It last reported 10/01.

I recently apped for and received a new Amex green with a member date of 2011. I called the main CSR number and asked for some backdating - she put me on hold while she searched, but came up empty. I later called direct to card replacement, and the CSR there told me that what I was requesting was completely impossible.

I am not quite ready to give up...any thoughts on my next step? I don't have the old card number. All I have is the account reference number on my Experian report and the original billing address.

This was my situation as well.

I had an AMEX Green back in 1985 that I had forgotten about. Surrendered it in grad school rather than pay the annual fee.

After my numerous credit trials and tribulations, was approved for a Blue Cash in 2009 (and a Premier Gold and Starwood in 2010). After reading about backdating of AMEX cards here for about a year (and with AAoA that was a joke due to all the new cards I received) decided I would try it. The first three or four times regular CS told me it wasn't possible to change the member since date.

Eventually I decided to use my credit report information (the 1985 card was still showing on my Experian report) to at least track down the account number and try from there. I called the number listed on the Experian report which took me to the credit reporting department, not regular CS. Turns out the card was so old they couldn't locate any information on it. But I was transferred to card replacement with the credit reporting rep on the phone verifying that I at least had a valid identifying number on a report. After a few minutes of trying to figure out what to do, I was told if I faxed in a copy of my credit report showing that the date opened on the card was 1985, they would backdate. Using a USAA credit report (not even an offical Experian one :) ) I faxed in the identifying cover page and the page with the AMEX only. All three cards were backdated to 1985 the next day.

Might be an approach to try next time.

Tried this today, still no luck. I think it is just the luck of the CSR draw. Thank you for the great tip...I will keep trying!

#72 romecoo

romecoo
  • Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:31 PM

To add to the info on the Walmart discussion: In December of 2008, Amex offered cardmembers $20 off $80 worth of purchases at Walmart, with the express intent of getting members to use the card there more often:

http://dealnews.com/...ses/265290.html

So while I can't speak to what Amex thinks of Paypal, I think it's safe to say they have no issue whatsoever with people using the card at Walmart. Besides, given the percentage of the US economy that comes from Walmart alone, plus the number of very well-off people that shop there religiously because of the prices, they'd really be asking for blowback from their customers if they started causing trouble for Walmart shoppers.

Yeah I remember that, it was on the daily wishes right?

#73 lungbrown

lungbrown
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:38 PM

My card says member since '11, but at their website it states a significantly older "member since" date. Which do you suppose will show up on my credit reports?

#74 hairmetal4ever

hairmetal4ever
  • Members
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:42 PM

I believe being an AU for a while, and demonstrating responsible usage, factors heavily into AmEx's internal scoring model.

Unless there's a BK, or, at least the IIB's, on your credit report. :(

That said, I am an AU - and have my own login at americanexpress.com. However, when I click "See your card offers" - it takes me to a login screen, then when I enter user ID and password, takes me back to the "View All Cards" tab. Then I try again from that page by clicking "See Your Card Offers" again, and it does the same thing. Is this their odd way of saying I don't have any personalized card offers? You'd think it would just say "no personalized offers are available at this time" or sometihng instead of just trapping you in a loop!!

#75 Repairerer

Repairerer

Bump Influence Scroll Keeper IV

• Members
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:46 PM

That said, I am an AU - and have my own login at americanexpress.com. However, when I click "See your card offers" - it takes me to a login screen, then when I enter user ID and password, takes me back to the "View All Cards" tab. Then I try again from that page by clicking "See Your Card Offers" again, and it does the same thing. Is this their odd way of saying I don't have any personalized card offers? You'd think it would just say "no personalized offers are available at this time" or sometihng instead of just trapping you in a loop!!

That's what happens for me as well, and I never filed BK. If I go through as a non-cardmember and put in my info, it tells me I have no offers.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.