Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

The Master American Express AmEx BackDating Back Dating Thread

• Please log in to reply
2575 replies to this topic

#26 tjguitar

tjguitar
  • Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:42 PM

Bob and others,

do you have to be a CURRENT AU to get backdated, or can you just have the history of past AU card on your credit report?

We actually had one of the amex's taken off my report when I was mortgage shopping, but I still have a previous closed AU Amex on one (or more) of my CR's....

Does it work for ANY personal Amex card? (such as Costco)

Thanks!

Well, I'm pretty sure you have to have an active AmEx card on which you are the AU.

*IF* one of my ex-AUs is willing to be a guinea pig...
Do you want to go ahead and get the Platinum, and try to get it backdated with an inactive AU status?

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, you know who you are. :P

Hmm. Maybe I'll just ask my dad to re-activate my AU...but I remember it was a pain for him to close it, he could only "disable" it through the website, had to actually call in to get it removed. I wonder if they would automatically have my history from my SSN and give me a "member since" when my first AU card was opened? Hm.

#27 v8envy

v8envy
  • Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:46 PM

So one question I do have is, hypothetically speaking if someone were added as an AU, then applied for a gold, green, or similar card, then got it back dated to the AU date, and then terminated the AU, could you later on apply for another card and have that one back dated as well even though the AU is gone?

#28 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence <3

• Members
  • 33,155 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:48 PM

Bob and others,

do you have to be a CURRENT AU to get backdated, or can you just have the history of past AU card on your credit report?

We actually had one of the amex's taken off my report when I was mortgage shopping, but I still have a previous closed AU Amex on one (or more) of my CR's....

Thanks!

Well, I'm pretty sure you have to have an active AmEx card on which you are the AU.

Do you want to go ahead and get the Platinum, and try to get it backdated with an inactive AU status?

Hmm. Maybe I'll just ask my dad to re-activate my AU...but I remember it was a pain for him to close it, he could only "disable" it through the website, had to actually call in to get it removed. I wonder if they would automatically have my history from my SSN and give me a "member since" when my first AU card was opened? Hm.

I don't think that's possible, AmEx will probably have to issue a new card number, BUT y'all can explicitly ask that it carry the old Member Since year.

#29 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence <3

• Members
  • 33,155 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:50 PM

So one question I do have is, hypothetically speaking if someone were added as an AU, then applied for a gold, green, or similar card, then got it back dated to the AU date, and then terminated the AU, could you later on apply for another card and have that one back dated as well even though the AU is gone?

Once you're backdated, that Member Since belongs to you, and it doesn't matter if you are no longer an AU.

#30 v8envy

v8envy
  • Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:56 PM

I think I should get a part time job at a high end restaurant and beg every customer with a good member since date, I would probably get fired quickly, where do the rest of the AMEX people hang out?

#31 emtpdeej

emtpdeej
  • Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:14 PM

Had an Amex green in college (opened 1990, don't know exactly when it was closed.) It still reports on my Experian as paid/closed, never late. It last reported 10/01.

I recently apped for and received a new Amex green with a member date of 2011. I called the main CSR number and asked for some backdating - she put me on hold while she searched, but came up empty. I later called direct to card replacement, and the CSR there told me that what I was requesting was completely impossible.

I am not quite ready to give up...any thoughts on my next step? I don't have the old card number. All I have is the account reference number on my Experian report and the original billing address.

#32 v8envy

v8envy
  • Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:19 PM

From what I have read AMEX keeps really good records and should be able to find you easily I would call back and talk to another CSR

#33 mmm

mmm
  • Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

Had an Amex green in college (opened 1990, don't know exactly when it was closed.) It still reports on my Experian as paid/closed, never late. It last reported 10/01.

I recently apped for and received a new Amex green with a member date of 2011. I called the main CSR number and asked for some backdating - she put me on hold while she searched, but came up empty. I later called direct to card replacement, and the CSR there told me that what I was requesting was completely impossible.

I am not quite ready to give up...any thoughts on my next step? I don't have the old card number. All I have is the account reference number on my Experian report and the original billing address.

I agree, I think finding that old account number is key to them looking up your records.

I'm not sure if this will help or not but there was one number I called at AMEX in their Credit Bureau Unit when I was trying to have an additional inquiry removed and the one thing they asked me for to look my account was the reference number off my credit report. This department doe not request your account number, just the reference number from your CR. The phone number is 800-874-2717, maybe they might be able to find your old account. When you call just follow the prompts for existing card members.

If you are successful in getting the old account number from them, then I would call card replacement back and see if they can help with the backdating.

Good luck!

Edited by mmm, 18 February 2011 - 09:45 PM.

#34 GonnaGetEm

GonnaGetEm

Blush Influence

• Members
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:20 PM

Bob and others,

Thanks!

Yeah, ok I"ll apply for the platinum, why not.

:rofl:

#35 foeplay

foeplay

Bump Influence IV

• Members
  • 7,269 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

2 months going on 50 years of age, the hard way... :D

#36 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence <3

• Members
  • 33,155 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:33 PM

2 months going on 50 years of age, the hard way... :D

<a href="http://www.imdb.com/...52636/">General Taylor: Always the hard way. :P

#37 hairmetal4ever

hairmetal4ever
  • Members
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:19 PM

It was ballsy enough asking my dad about adding me as an AU... asking AmEx about backdating (this sounds absolutely silly) makes me nervous. But, as my dad said, you'll never get a 'yes' unless you ask the question! I still haven't gotten the AU card yet, and it was requested by my dad on 02/09 - they soft-pulled exp. I called AmEx about it yesterday, they asked some verification questions, and they popped the card in the mail. I should've asked about backdating my card then!

Yes, having an AU charge card already saying Member Since 1965, makes your own easier down the road.

Were you BORN after 1965? If not, it would be weird having a card older than you are...

#38 FCB2700

FCB2700
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:37 PM

Ok, I have a question regarding Amex backdating. I opened an Amex very recently, so my "member since" date is very recent. This was before I learned of backdating here. Now, I have a relative that has a very old Amex account. Would there be any way that I could be added as an authorized user on my relative's account, and then get backdated to my relative's "member since" date? I'm guessing not, but I'm curious with all this backdating talk.

In retrospect, I could have gotten myself added as an authorized user on my relative's account, and then opened my own Amex.

#39 JaseT

JaseT

NO INFLUENCE

• Members
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:38 PM

Ok, I have a question regarding Amex backdating. I opened an Amex very recently, so my "member since" date is very recent. This was before I learned of backdating here. Now, I have a relative that has a very old Amex account. Would there be any way that I could be added as an authorized user on my relative's account, and then get backdated to my relative's "member since" date? I'm guessing not, but I'm curious with all this backdating talk.

In retrospect, I could have gotten myself added as an authorized user on my relative's account, and then opened my own Amex.

The answer you seek is in this thread B)

#40 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence <3

• Members
  • 33,155 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:42 PM

My, tough love, and it's not even post #40 yet. :P

#41 JaseT

JaseT

NO INFLUENCE

• Members
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

My, tough love, and it's not even post #40 yet. :P

I can see if a thread is huge that a question will be asked multiple times, but only two pages? Come on..... :P

#42 audrahz

audrahz
  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:18 AM

@ hairmetal... I was born after 1965. Yes, it'll be weird having a card older than me - if the backdating thing works.

#43 FCB2700

FCB2700
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:23 AM

So I'm assuming this is your answer (to Audrahz), although it's not very direct:

I'm pretty sure a family member requesting backdating, will have a much easier time of it than some of my AUs.

#44 brainchasm

brainchasm

BS Detector

• Members
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:24 AM

Good idea Bob! I will be added as an AU soon and I'll be attempting to have my two recent AMEX accounts backdated. It will be interesting to see how AMEX handles it, especially since one of the cards is a Zync and they seem to be a bit reluctant to backdate that product.

Time will tell! :grin:

Yup, Zync seems to be the Kryptonite for BackDating. :P

Can this be elaborated on? Because this is the exact situation I am in. Mom has a Blue from 2000, I am AU for approximately a year now, and when I got my Zync in September 2010, all my backdating attempts were pretty much stonewalled.

#45 uncoder2010

uncoder2010
  • Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:29 AM

How about this?

My mom has a Amex Plat for her small business (she is the owner and personally guarantees it). I'm already an AU on that card, but it doesn't report.

I talked to her earlier this week and she's willing to (if it helps me) get a personal card.

If she gets a personal card will they back date it? Then, I could be added as an AU on that one? It goes back about 10 years.

#46 audrahz

audrahz
  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:23 AM

I have not asked AmEx about backdating to my dad's membership date yet as I don't have the AU card; AmEx needed verification before sending it out.

I applied and rec'd my own amex green on Feb 01 this year. My dad added me as an AU to his card on Feb 09 this year. I am waiting until I have the AU card to my dad's account in hand and activated (and muster up some courage) to call AmEx and ask them to backdate my green to my dad's membership year. I will update here when (if?) backdating is successful.

Hope that clarifies the questions asked&nbsp; by several of the previous posters.

#47 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence <3

• Members
  • 33,155 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:14 AM

Good idea Bob! I will be added as an AU soon and I'll be attempting to have my two recent AMEX accounts backdated. It will be interesting to see how AMEX handles it, especially since one of the cards is a Zync and they seem to be a bit reluctant to backdate that product.

Time will tell! :grin:

Yup, Zync seems to be the Kryptonite for BackDating. :P

Can this be elaborated on? Because this is the exact situation I am in. Mom has a Blue from 2000, I am AU for approximately a year now, and when I got my Zync in September 2010, all my backdating attempts were pretty much stonewalled.

My AUs with Zyncs have also been denied repeatedly.

#48 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence <3

• Members
  • 33,155 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:18 AM

How about this?

My mom has a Amex Plat for her small business (she is the owner and personally guarantees it). I'm already an AU on that card, but it doesn't report.

I talked to her earlier this week and she's willing to (if it helps me) get a personal card.

If she gets a personal card will they back date it? Then, I could be added as an AU on that one? It goes back about 10 years.

Does her Business Platinum have a Member Since 2001?
If so, any personal card should also carry that year.

#49 emtpdeej

emtpdeej
  • Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:55 AM

I agree, I think finding that old account number is key to them looking up your records.

I'm not sure if this will help or not but there was one number I called at AMEX in their Credit Bureau Unit when I was trying to have an additional inquiry removed and the one thing they asked me for to look my account was the reference number off my credit report. This department doe not request your account number, just the reference number from your CR. The phone number is 800-874-2717, maybe they might be able to find your old account. When you call just follow the prompts for existing card members.

If you are successful in getting the old account number from them, then I would call card replacement back and see if they can help with the backdating.

Good luck!

This is incredibly awesome advice...I am going to try this in the next few days and I will report my results.

Thanks!

#50 uncoder2010

uncoder2010
  • Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:02 PM

How about this?

Does her Business Platinum have a Member Since 2001?
If so, any personal card should also carry that year.

Yes it does. I talked to her today and this week we're going to app for a personal card. If anyone has an opinion on the best Amex card to go with, I'd appreciate the advice. Her scores are in the low 800's. I'll give it a bit and then we'll add me as an AU.

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

oOghostOo

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.