Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Here is what I do to have $50 extra a month for c.c payments

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#1 butterflywings

butterflywings

She Tries

• Members
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 04:10 PM

Hi. I am sharing this in the hopes that it will help many of you have more $$ in your pockets each month. :lol:

I only have our water heater on when it is actually being used. Otherwise it is turned off. I have been doing this for several years now and it saves me $50 a month alone. We have Niagara Mohawk Power Corp which is highly expensive, and which makes this all the more important to my family.

I turn on the water heater in the morning, we take our showers/baths, run the dishwasher, do any necessary laundry and then it is immediately turned off. I usually only have the heater on for about 4 hours per day. It only takes 20 minutes for the water to heat up the next day too, so if one needed hot water later that night, it would only take about 10 minutes or so to heat it up.

Many people erroneously think it uses more electricity to turn the heater off and on each day but that is completely false; even the electric company says it saves plenty of money. All it takes is people being dedicated to flipping the switch twice a day. You will be amazed at the difference in your electric bill.

Hope this helps someone who needs extra money paying off those pesky bills. :P

#2 pattigril

pattigril
  • Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 04:26 PM

Another way to have some extra money for cc payments is:

get rid of cell phone bills, long distance phone bill, remove cable or take it down to just basic, search for the best car insurance rate, shop with coupons, don't eat out.

#3 jsunshi1605

jsunshi1605
  • Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 04:36 PM

Please keep um coming,

I am trying to figure out a way to pay off credit cards

so if anyone has any good budgeting ideas
send them my way please :8)

#4 95207chick

95207chick
  • Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 04:38 PM

This is a great thread!
I am going to ask my DH if the water heater thing would work for us.

I don't have anything to add but like this thread!

#5 butterflywings

butterflywings

She Tries

• Members
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 04:50 PM

Hi everyone! Thank you for responding!

Yes, the water heater thing works amazing. Back when I first started doing it we were being billed bi-monthly from Niagara Mohawk and our elecetric bill was right away $100 less. It was a shocker!

#6 Harrychase27

Harrychase27
  • Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 04:52 PM

I work in NYC and it seems like everyone goes to Starbucks.... There are some people that I work with that spend like $30-50 a week on coffee!!!

I am quite happy with my Maxwell House... and paying the extra money to my credit cards!!!

#7 pattigril

pattigril
  • Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 04:59 PM

Another thing is to get timers for heaters and air conditioning, don't leave them on when you are not home and when you are home try and leave them off if possible. When I was laid off and then later decided to stay home with our daughter there were several things I did to cut back on expenses.

I got rid of my cell phone
We went from cable to dish - it saved us a bunch and all the movie channels we had before, gone, rent a movie - besides we are so tired now we can't stay awake to watch anything
We don't go out to dinner very often - and when we do it is really special
I started calling around for the best phone offer and cut that in half
I started getting insurance quotes from different companies and I found out we were paying more for less so now we have better covereage for 1/2 of what we were paying - hugh savings.
Gas went down cause I don't use that much - before I was driving 2 hours a day to and from work, now I drive maybe 2 hours a week - the baby and I try and walk to a lot of places - great for the body and mind and the earth.
Called and got interest rates lowered.
Started using coupons for groceries and started looking at sale papers and shop on those days.
Put DH on a budget - he gets so much a month and he has to use it wisely, if he blows it all there is no way to give more - he has gotten very good at making it last into the next month so he has more cash of his own. Good for his sole.

#8 LadynRed

LadynRed
  • Members
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 05:31 PM

I gotta tell you though, if you have central air and live in a part of the country where A/C is necessary (like me in hot and sticky TN !), playing with the thermostat and turning it off when you're not home is going to COST you money, not save it.

Let me give you a real example. Last June after my now-ex S.O. moved in, he was ALWAYS futzing with the thermostat for the AC. If he was hot, he'd push it way down to 50 or 60 degrees. When we weren't home during the day, he would turn the AC OFF (he left after I did) ! Bad idea.

When he pushed it down to 50 or 60, the AC unit would run CONSTANTLY because it was TRYING to reach that low-low temperature. The thing is, unless you have a sealed home, the house will never get that cold ! The AC basically will never shut off, and it burns LOTS of power.

When he would shut the thing OFF on hot summer days, it would get so hot and stuffy in the house that by the time I got home (always before he did) the house was like a sauna, the termostat reading somewhere over 90 usually. So, I turn on the AC to a REASONABLE 75 and it would take the AC about 2 hours of non-stop running just to get rid of the humidity and cool down to 75. If he got home and thought it was too warm at 75.. he'd crank it down to 50 --here we go again !!

The cost difference ? Last June, with his thermostat hi-jinks, the electric bill for that one month was $250 !!!!! The bill for last July - over $300 ! He moved out on May 1 of this year. I caved to the heat and the AC was on all of June at ONE temperature setting, about 76, and my electric bill for the month of June was --- $95 !! You might say that there's only me there now, but that's not it. There are no more and no less electricity-using things running in the house during the day now than there were a year ago when he was there.

ALL of the power companies will tell you to leave the thermostat alone, jerking it around will cost you money, not save it.

#9 Ioperate

Ioperate
  • Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 05:44 PM

Put DH on a budget - he gets so much a month and he has to use it wisely, if he blows it all there is no way to give more - he has gotten very good at making it last into the next month so he has more cash of his own. Good for his sole.

Ahhh, C'mon pattigril :cry: Poor DH put on a "budget" :cry: Doesn't he work hard for the money? When we were kids we got allowance :|

I think I'd rather be broke, than have to get an allowance. If he spends too much money, then he has to live with the consequences (BROKE). I always promised my wife I'd never put her on one either. Yep, we're broke a lot, but you only live once. Not to mention, I can put a $20.00 bill in my wallet, and it's still there 2 weeks later (most of the time).

All your other ideas are great, but don't let them MAN feel like he gets a "allowance" from his wife.. He's be really emberassed if his buddies found out. :oops:

#10 OhBoyOhBoy

OhBoyOhBoy
  • Members
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 05:48 PM

Just get one of those electronic thermostats, that you can program to change a few degrees when you leave and before you come home go up a few. They help. Or if you dont have one keep the house on a steady temp. find one that you can adjust your self to, like in the winter put it on 68 and if you get a little chilly put on a sweater. Keeping a steady temp saves big. ANd in the summer keep the blinds closed.

#11 TMoore

TMoore
  • Members
  • 901 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 05:49 PM

Financial Advisors sometimes put their RICH clients on an allowance, so what's the big? When you set a certain budget for yourself, that's what you're doing anyway, right? :?

#12 JoeDirtPharmD

JoeDirtPharmD
  • Members
  • 3,492 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 05:54 PM

The lady at the electric co. suggested the water-heater thing but ours is direct wired to an unknown place behind the wall - no plug to pull or anything. Do you just flip the breaker? I'd like to be able to put it on a timer or something.

#13 butterflywings

butterflywings

She Tries

• Members
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:17 PM

The lady at the electric co. suggested the water-heater thing but ours is direct wired to an unknown place behind the wall - no plug to pull or anything. Do you just flip the breaker? I'd like to be able to put it on a timer or something.

Hi Joe!

I am so sorry for not being more clear. Yes, sir, I flip the breaker to the heater, not a switch on the heater itself. Funny enough, the breaker system is in the same room as the heater. :)

Doing this with the water heater is not going to cause the same situation as if you were turning on and off an air conditioner etc. The water heater heats itself up with the same amount of electricity as it would as if it were running all day long. There is no power surge. And because it doesn't take but 15-20 min or so to heat up it is a huge bargain.

Good luck to you, sir!

#14 butterflywings

butterflywings

She Tries

• Members
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:23 PM

Ahhh, C'mon pattigril :cry: Poor DH put on a "budget" :cry: Doesn't he work hard for the money? When we were kids we got allowance :|

I think I'd rather be broke, than have to get an allowance. If he spends too much money, then he has to live with the consequences (BROKE). I always promised my wife I'd never put her on one either. Yep, we're broke a lot, but you only live once. Not to mention, I can put a $20.00 bill in my wallet, and it's still there 2 weeks later (most of the time).

All your other ideas are great, but don't let them MAN feel like he gets a "allowance" from his wife.. He's be really emberassed if his buddies found out. :oops:

I laughed at how you put the word MAN in all caps as if he somehow is ABOVE being on a budget. A lil old-fashioned aren't ya? :)

Why are you chastizing her for enacting a budget while at the same time admiting to being broke a lot? :dunno:

#15 Ioperate

Ioperate
  • Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:36 PM

Financial Advisors sometimes put their RICH clients on an allowance, so what's the big? When you set a certain budget for yourself, that's what you're doing anyway, right? :?

I agree TMoore. I sure wish I was rich enough to have a Financial Advisor tell me I can't spend more than 10K a week on frivolous purchases. :)

I agree about being on a budget as well. I guess I'd rather just figure it out myself, and only spend what my budget is, instead of someone telling me "Here is your allowance................." I don't always follow it, but if I do spend too much (not very often) I pay the consequences.

I guess my main budget backup is my DW. She'll be the one who says.... "Honey, we can't afford that right now". And that's ok to hear, as long as it's not payday when you hear it. :)

#16 KimH

KimH
  • Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:44 PM

By choice we are cabless, carless, cellphoneless and kidless. BIG savings right there!

We make a list for the weekly grocery run and pay in cold hard green and white cash. After five years of doing this, we pretty much know how much cash we need for groceries.

The SO has recently been cylcing to work. Saves him a bundle on public transportation. I'd do it too but I have no place to stash my bike at work.

We rent movies from the library. The selection is spotty but but cheaper than your average Hollywood Video or Blockbuster.

I cook two or three times a week. I cook enough for four, so we eat the leftovers for lunch the next day. About once a month I make a huge pot of spaghetti sauce, divy it up into portions and freeze it.

Having been Southern born and bred, I've got a high tolerance for heat and our apartment stays fairly cool in summer so we rarely run the AC.

Wish I could say the same for winter! BRRR. Four years here and Chicago winters are killing me. We keep the thermostat around 65 in winter and just wear alot of layers.

#17 Ioperate

Ioperate
  • Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:52 PM

I laughed at how you put the word MAN in all caps as if he somehow is ABOVE being on a budget. A lil old-fashioned aren't ya? :)

Why are you chastizing her for enacting a budget while at the same time admiting to being broke a lot? :dunno:

I guess it did look that way :) In some ways I am old fashoned, in other ways I'm not. First of all, my wife takes care of the bill paying. Sometimes she'll ask me questions like "Do you want me to PIF this months Chase CC, or .......... We always both agree on how this should be done.

I am old fashioned in the matter of "My money is hers, & vice-versa. Some couples have their own checking accounts.

When I say broke alot, I'm not meaning pennyless. It simply means that all bills are paid, and the fridge is full. It may mean that we can't afford to buy something we really don't need at the time.

I do think it's important to be in the situation to be able to go out to lunch with a friend you haven't seen in a while. That's what the CC's are for. I wouldn't want her to not be able to go out with her girlfriends if she wants to. I'm not perfect with my finances, but I'm very happy with my life. :D

#18 psp

psp

The Nice One

• Mod Squad
  • 10,761 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:04 PM

DH and I have discovered if we STOPPED SMOKING, we could buy the Taj Mahal!! :oops:

#19 javaowl

javaowl
  • Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:07 PM

I work in NYC and it seems like everyone goes to Starbucks.... There are some people that I work with that spend like $30-50 a week on coffee!!!

I am quite happy with my Maxwell House... and paying the extra money to my credit cards!!!

Month before last a friend of ours told us how to save $1200 by the end of the year if you drink Starbucks. Me and DH used to drink a Carmel Macchiato short almost every day because our jobs were right around the corner from Starbucks.

$1200 at the end of the year:

Take $2.65 (x2 [for both of us]) five days a week = $26.50/wk x 4 = $106/mo x 12 mos = $1,272 on coffee ALONE! :shock: :? :shock: :roll: Imagine how much they were making off our office @ $600-1200 a pop. (Good business to be in right now, especially if you by a freeway onramp.)

Last week the Sav Ons near our house (equivalent of Eckerds) had a sale, 10 cans of Chase Sanborn for $9 -- we stocked up. Bought 1 bag of the good stuff and mix it in the CS as needed. Now, I always look for sales on coffee like that.

I can usually save about $50 w/coupons on a grocery bill (double coupons at Ralphs) get coupons from the Ralphs inserts, Ralphs website, SmartCoupons.com, Eversave.com, Cool Savings.com and sometimes from the manufacturers themselves. We've gotten freebies for complimenting a product (Got 3 free meals at Claim Jumpers [love that place -- Flintstone sized portions of the good stuff]; Several buy one get one free from others). I've learned what a real sale is at the supermarket vs. overstock sale (usually not reeeeally a sale). Always buy large flour, sugar, cooking oil, bags pasta, beans, etc. and store in Tupperware. Love Staggs chili, they have it on sale here about every 2 months, 5 cans for $4.98 (esp. the fiesta grill chili), its usually $2 can. Ninety-cents store is my friend (can't buy everything there though), but Yoplait custard style yogurt is 4 for 99 cents; 4 lbs bananas is 99 cents; 5 lbs peaches 99 cents; Glade air freshner 99 cents; Downey liquid Fabric softner 99 cents, etc. Buy meat and other stuff on sale at supermarket or costco and put it in freezer bags. Eat out maybe 1-2 months but when we do ... :)

#20 pattigril

pattigril
  • Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 08:12 PM

Ioperate, yes DH does VERY work hard for the money he brings home for his family.

We have the joint savings account, house checking and then DH checking account. We don't call it an allowance we call it his personel account that he needs to budget within in turn spending this money on anything he wants. Why shouldn't he budget his personel account. I have to budget all the other accounts to make sure we have enough for the bills, food, rent/mortage, taxes etc......

The money in his account doesn't go for any of that, it is all his to spend on what ever he sees fit - Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Coffee, Tools, etc.... WHATEVER he wants and he doesn't have to ask anyone to spend it he just does. But if he runs out of the money in his account before the next pay period he is out of luck cause the rest of the paycheck which has gone into savings or house checking account is already spent on bills etc.... Not my personel stuff, I don't have my own personel account.

Because I know how to use money and credit wisely I take care of all the bills in our house. By doing this we have managed to pay off my car, all credit cards and his cars. We have a large savings account and have managed to save a lot and having a house built on a lot of acres. Without planning things out we would not be a great situation right now.

If you would rather be broke that is fine - that is what makes the world go around. But for us we are happy having money in the bank and not owing anything to anyone. We like having a little extra money at the end of the month to spend on something nice or use to go out as a family and do something fun. We don't worry about money anymore. And were we live in California not many people can say that.

His buddies - they know he has his own personel account and they know how much is deposited in his account monthly and let me tell you, they all wish their wifes would do this for them. Because in order for them to have any money to do anything with they all have to work side jobs to get spending money for their lunchs, tools, car parts etc.... Not my MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! I take care of him and he isn't embarassed about his situation, not at all. He is happy.

By the way we are not talking $20.00 here, if all he had was $20.00 in his pocket to last two weeks he would not be happy and we would be broke.

#21 TMoore

TMoore
  • Members
  • 901 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 08:21 PM

DH and I have discovered if we STOPPED SMOKING, we could buy the Taj Mahal!! :oops:

Yeah, they're 6.00 a pack here, AND I have bronchitis...

But it's SO hard :D

#22 Brad J

Brad J
  • Members
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 08:26 PM

I really must stop going into the city on friday nights and dine at those damn expensive trattoria's

#23 Kona

Kona
  • Members
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 08:29 PM

I had this nasty habit of grabbing coffee in the morning at McDonalds and then again on the way home so I could have something to drink and keep me alert on the 50 mile drive. That was $2 a day. Then sometimes, I would grab a breakfast when I didn't fix my own. I cut that out and saved over $50 a month. I now take my coffee from home in my thermal mug.

#24 jsunshi1605

jsunshi1605
  • Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 09:55 PM

Ioperate, yes DH does VERY work hard for the money he brings home for his family.

We have the joint savings account, house checking and then DH checking account. We don't call it an allowance we call it his personel account that he needs to budget within in turn spending this money on anything he wants. Why shouldn't he budget his personel account. I have to budget all the other accounts to make sure we have enough for the bills, food, rent/mortage, taxes etc......

The money in his account doesn't go for any of that, it is all his to spend on what ever he sees fit - Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Coffee, Tools, etc.... WHATEVER he wants and he doesn't have to ask anyone to spend it he just does. But if he runs out of the money in his account before the next pay period he is out of luck cause the rest of the paycheck which has gone into savings or house checking account is already spent on bills etc.... Not my personel stuff, I don't have my own personel account.

Because I know how to use money and credit wisely I take care of all the bills in our house. By doing this we have managed to pay off my car, all credit cards and his cars. We have a large savings account and have managed to save a lot and having a house built on a lot of acres. Without planning things out we would not be a great situation right now.

If you would rather be broke that is fine - that is what makes the world go around. But for us we are happy having money in the bank and not owing anything to anyone. We like having a little extra money at the end of the month to spend on something nice or use to go out as a family and do something fun. We don't worry about money anymore. And were we live in California not many people can say that.

His buddies - they know he has his own personel account and they know how much is deposited in his account monthly and let me tell you, they all wish their wifes would do this for them. Because in order for them to have any money to do anything with they all have to work side jobs to get spending money for their lunchs, tools, car parts etc.... Not my MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! I take care of him and he isn't embarassed about his situation, not at all. He is happy.

By the way we are not talking $20.00 here, if all he had was $20.00 in his pocket to last two weeks he would not be happy and we would be broke.

Dont worry about it,
Honey I HAVE to do the same thing you are doing

my DH knows that it has to go that way if he wants to continue buying those DVD's that he loves so much,

not to mention the 40.00$ a pop wrestling PPV 's
I mean you have to set limits sometimes
thats just the nature of the game.

cause if you dont your gonna lose everytime.

#25 Sparky

Sparky
  • Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:31 AM

I turn on the water heater in the morning, we take our showers/baths, run the dishwasher, do any necessary laundry and then it is immediately turned off. I usually only have the heater on for about 4 hours per day. It only takes 20 minutes for the water to heat up the next day too, so if one needed hot water later that night, it would only take about 10 minutes or so to heat it up.

A friendly tip for you.... :D

You can put a timeclock on the water heater and it will do the exact same thing for you, plus it won't be a hassle for you. As an electrician, I have did this for many customers and you will recoup the cost of the time clock very quickly. Make sure you use a 24hour and not a 7 day timeclock so that you can set it to cycle several times a day.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.